ADVERTISEMENT

71-70 10 seconds left....coaching moment..

ulismyman

Senior
Jan 11, 2015
Ok this is where i say all the time just because your name isnt Coach Cal..doesnt mean you cant see things he doesnt....here goes...Jalen Johnson who had broke the backboard on earlier free throw was in the game...we should have fouled him before the ball ever came in and make him hit free throws...but i assure you that never crossed his mind

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
You never know what goes on out of camera view. If the guy is not moving toward the ball you probably are not going to get the call anyway unless it's something deemed intentional. I didnt watch the game, just listened, and according to Leach, Cal wasn't happy with what happened on that play.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
You don't really practice intentionally fouling poor free throw shooters away from the ball and making it look like you didn't foul them on purpose.

Maybe they could have done a better job of denying the ball to a good free throw shooter, but UL was running a play too.

10 seconds left, you do the best you can do, and quickly.

You never know what goes on out of camera view. If the guy is not moving toward the ball you probably are not going to get the call anyway unless it's something deemed intentional. I didnt watch the game, just listened, and according to Leach, Cal wasn't happy with what happened on that play.

You must have heard wrong. Cal never thought of what to do on that play. Only UMM can figure out basketball stuff.

See UMM, this is exactly why people pick on you all the time.

Discussing that play and the strategy involved is fair game.

But you have to take it to "I assure you that never crossed his mind."

It is idiotic. Everyone watching hoped we would force a turnover or foul a poor free throw shooter.

But you know that it never crossed Cal's mind, huh? Do you seriously not realize how dumb that sounds?

You arent gonna get a turnover there most likely but fine ...after the inbound i still foul Johnson every time

UMM, let me let you in on a little secret that seems to have escaped your basketball super computer brain.

The other side has basketball players too. They also want to win. In your dazzling display of infinite basketball genius, you seem to have overlooked that small point.

That's a cowardly way to play basketball, and it goes against everything Cal believes.

It doesn't matter if it's the "right" decision or not. We know what we have in our coach, and I wouldn't trade him for anyone, and I truly mean that. He believes you line up, my guys against yours, no gimmicks, and let's see who the better team is.

As I've said before, Cal is far from beyond reproach. There are things he does that I just don't understand, but the good far, far, far, outweighs the bad. There are no surprises with Cal, and by now everyone should know what we have. If that's not good enough for you, my only suggestion is to quit watching college basketball, because at this level, in terms of the entire package, he's as good as it gets.

UMM, let me let you in on a little secret that seems to have escaped your basketball super computer brain.

The other side has basketball players too. They also want to win. In your dazzling display of infinite basketball genius, you seem to have overlooked that small point.

What does that have to do with fouling Johnson

Yes Aike..its outside the box when you know Pitimo isnt gonna throw it to him...actually an oversight on his part that he was in the game

i dont post here and read here as often as i used to i assume from everyone's reaction UMM is a big troll, fair enough. However you aren't a rational fan if you can't see that Cal's biggest wins are players making plays and when we lose tight games it players not making plays. That's his thing. We beat UNC because Monk went against Cal's wishes and popped a 3. He made it that's awesome. However in every big game we lost Cal has made little to no coaching adjustments. You lose to USCjr on the road, Auburn, Baylor in January, that doesn't get the ire of most of the fanbase. But you lose in the tournament as a favorite to a lesser team, lose to a UNC, Duke, UL, IU those kinds of teams in the regular season games you should be fired up and ready to coach in that's a problem.

Everyone and every team has bad nights, but if you are such a homer and Cal apologist you can't admit that for all his strengths his one biggest weakness is not being able to make in game adjustments i don't know that i can consider your opinion worth merit. I love Cal, love his swag and his bravado, but i can't watch Fox and Briscoe take terrible shots and look off Bam in the post. Make lazy entry passes. When Cal said after 2013 I'll never let a team hold me hostage again and he's let his team dictate to him every year.

When it was clear Monk was off getting to the rim should of become the plan and feeding Bam. Rick outsmarted Cal, mucked the game, and baited us in to taking terrible shots, at no point did Cal ever try to stop it. Just like Huggy in 2010. In the same regard Rick saw how terrible our pick n roll D was, just like UCLA he used it to kill us. Just like Wisconsin did in 2015 and UConn in 2014. If you want to give Cal the ultimate praise which 90% of the time he absolutely deserves you also have to be able to point out his shortcomings and that my friends is in game adjustments. He flat out doesn't do it.

i dont post here and read here as often as i used to i assume from everyone's reaction UMM is a big troll, fair enough. However you aren't a rational fan if you can't see that Cal's biggest wins are players making plays and when we lose tight games it players not making plays. That's his thing. We beat UNC because Monk went against Cal's wishes and popped a 3. He made it that's awesome. However in every big game we lost Cal has made little to no coaching adjustments. You lose to USCjr on the road, Auburn, Baylor in January, that doesn't get the ire of most of the fanbase. But you lose in the tournament as a favorite to a lesser team, lose to a UNC, Duke, UL, IU those kinds of teams in the regular season games you should be fired up and ready to coach in that's a problem.

Everyone and every team has bad nights, but if you are such a homer and Cal apologist you can't admit that for all his strengths his one biggest weakness is not being able to make in game adjustments i don't know that i can consider your opinion worth merit. I love Cal, love his swag and his bravado, but i can't watch Fox and Briscoe take terrible shots and look off Bam in the post. Make lazy entry passes. When Cal said after 2013 I'll never let a team hold me hostage again and he's let his team dictate to him every year.

When it was clear Monk was off getting to the rim should of become the plan and feeding Bam. Rick outsmarted Cal, mucked the game, and baited us in to taking terrible shots, at no point did Cal ever try to stop it. Just like Huggy in 2010. In the same regard Rick saw how terrible our pick n roll D was, just like UCLA he used it to kill us. Just like Wisconsin did in 2015 and UConn in 2014. If you want to give Cal the ultimate praise which 90% of the time he absolutely deserves you also have to be able to point out his shortcomings and that my friends is in game adjustments. He flat out doesn't do it.

Duke lost to Mercer and Lehigh in the NCAA Tournament, go away

Thats easy to say now that i posted it dude....doesnt matter...we needed Cal to think of it

I'm curious. What's the in game adjustment for can't throw it in the ocean?

Reactions: brianpoe
Duke lost to Mercer and Lehigh in the NCAA Tournament, go away
thank you, perfect example of exactly what i mean. question Cal, must be a troll and fan of another team. Duke sucks. they stole 2 titles from us when we had the best team. May do it again this year. Doesn't change the fact that Cal makes serious tactical errors in games. Kansas has lost to Bucknell and Northern Iowa and I'll say the same thing every coach should answer for shortcomings. Cal is not immune to it. K when he lost those games choked, Self when he lost choked. If we try adjustments and lose fine, at least you went down swinging, but we just continue to bang a square peg in a round hole.

You must have heard wrong. Cal never thought of what to do on that play. Only UMM can figure out basketball stuff.

The funny thing is that the OP defends Stoops regardless of what decision is made. Just funny seeing him on here starting a thread on a coaching decsion on the bball side.

Reactions: Aike
I'm curious. What's the in game adjustment for can't throw it in the ocean?
stop taking terrible shots. when your guys who shoot 10% from the field outside the paint are taking 20 shots outside the paint that's not an anomaly that's a trend.

The funny thing is that the OP defends Stoops regardless of what decision is made. Just funny seeing him on here starting a thread on a coaching decsion on the bball side.

False...i get on Stoops as well...quit making shit up

thank you, perfect example of exactly what i mean. question Cal, must be a troll and fan of another team. Duke sucks. they stole 2 titles from us when we had the best team. May do it again this year. Doesn't change the fact that Cal makes serious tactical errors in games. Kansas has lost to Bucknell and Northern Iowa and I'll say the same thing every coach should answer for shortcomings. Cal is not immune to it. K when he lost those games choked, Self when he lost choked. If we try adjustments and lose fine, at least you went down swinging, but we just continue to bang a square peg in a round hole.
no I'm sure you're right Cal never makes any adjustments

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT