ADVERTISEMENT

7 mins of practice footage

Always fun to watch practice videos...but everyone always looks good in practice.

I personally never take anything out of them (lots of ppl do, which is cool, no problem with that), as in my opinion it gives next to no indication as to how well the team will play when it matters.
I think you practice how you play. They are not scared to fail in practice so that will help in pressure situations.

If last year team would have been coached with the mentality described in this video , we would have already hanged the #9 banner in Rupp Arena. Last year we had after many years the talent to play modern basketball, but unfortunately we had Cal as a coach…

This year and the following ones will be so much fun . I am not sure how talented these players are, but I am sure they will play modern basketball , have fun , bring joy to BBN and most importantly play as Kentucky team !

I love their attitudes and his method of coaching, it's all positive and confidence building and fun. Kentucky will be hard to guard, and it looks like we can be competitive with any team. When you have the shooters, you can hang with anybody.

Defense is the last thing I'm worried about with this team. We have some elite defenders at multiple spots. I think our biggest concern is going to be lack of a "true" point guard. Kerr and Butler both bring different things to the table that are of great importance. But I wouldn't consider either player an all around true PG.

Great to see Koby Brea out there getting up to speed. I’ve watched him play for years, one thing y’all will like about him besides the great shooting…he likes to bait attention of secondary defenders off the dribble and find the open man. Obviously he’ll bury it too if he can rock the defender to sleep. His shot is so dangerous that he forces those secondary defenders to try to track him, this team should be too dangerous to try that against with all the other shooting options. I think Brea likes the 6th man role and he’s my early favorite for SEC 6MOTY.

Loved the video. Seeing the team run sets and run more sets and move the ball and move without the ball - how refreshing. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the team knows how to defend an out of bounds play under the opponents' basket AND run one, also. Heck, we may even figure out how to pick apart a zone AND play one, too! Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air! I won't be so over the top optimistic that our team could learn how to press or defeat a press. I mean HOF Calipari couldn't ever teach those skills, why should poor Pope be expected to (sarcasm intended, of course)?

Haven't watched UK BB much at all the past 5 years as I was so completely over Calipari and his schtick. Really excited to plug in again and watch what a well-coached, fundamentally sound UK BB team looks like. I, for one, don't care if none of the current players go pro. I want wins for UK. If the players are eventually drafted - great. But that cannot be the focus of our program. Calipari forgot that a long time ago.

No it hasn't. NOTHING has been established, other than we will shoot tons of 3's.
Dude... Ker HIMSELF Said he is not the starter Butler is.... He said it on video and one of the many I have watched. So there is that.. He is not starting. Not that it really matters. But you Obviously haven't seen or read anything about this team.

If last year team would have been coached with the mentality described in this video , we would have already hanged the #9 banner in Rupp Arena. Last year we had after many years the talent to play modern basketball, but unfortunately we had Cal as a coach…

This year and the following ones will be so much fun . I am not sure how talented these players are, but I am sure they will play modern basketball , have fun , bring joy to BBN and most importantly play as Kentucky team !
These guys are talented. They wouldn't be at Kentucky if they weren't. They can do anything our one and does of the past could do. Basketball has evolved into more emphasis on skill. The ball movement this team shows is incredible. We are going to drum some teams this year.

You miss one? Shoot another. You miss two, shoot again.

That can bite you sometimes, but it also breeds fearlessness. GO OUT THERE AND TAKE IT.
You know there will be some fun games where we're on fire from 3 and we just bury those teams. On the flip side there will be some where we don't hit a great percentage and we'll have to overcome that. I like that pope is already instilling in them to keep shooting as you'll get hot again. I'll be curious to see if pope runs more inside plays in the 2nd half if they are not shooting well from 3 in the first half.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You know there will be some fun games where we're on fire from 3 and we just bury those teams. On the flip side there will be some where we don't hit a great percentage and we'll have to overcome that. I like that pope is already instilling in them to keep shooting as you'll get hot again. I'll be curious to see if pope runs more inside plays in the 2nd half if they are not shooting well from 3 in the first half.
I think with this team that has so many great shooters according to reports there will never be a game where as a team we shoot horribly. Individual players may have off nights but the chance that everyone has an off night all on the same nights is incredibly small.

Reactions: rob_47
Positive attitude, confidence and staying aggressive win games, and we haven’t had those things for a while. There’s been to many games in recent years, where we took the air out of the ball with a 5 point lead and 6 minutes on the clock.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Dude... Ker HIMSELF Said he is not the starter Butler is.... He said it on video and one of the many I have watched. So there is that.. He is not starting. Not that it really matters. But you Obviously haven't seen or read anything about this team.
Players don't decide who starts, the coach does. Players say stuff like that occasionally to build up their team mates. You don't know who will start anymore than the other poster does. Pope may not even know yet. No need to be a jackass about it.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
"The magic that you are looking for is in the work we are avoiding. We don't avoid work."
Love it!
It's sure nice to have a coach that has a plan and vision he is executing methodically.
Notice how he said "we will be ready" for that first game.
Imagine seeing a structured offense and not spending the first half of the season befuddled by line-up combinations.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat tat2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT