ADVERTISEMENT

6 quarters of poor offensive production

mellowe4

Gold Member
Sep 3, 2008
Has anyone looked at film to see what has happened? I didn't see the pff report for the A&M game. But, this trend is concerning to me.

For some reason many seem to be giving the OL a pass in this swoon. False starts, holds and plain old missed blocks have plagued the OL the last 6 Quarters. OL needs to return to their play of earlier games to give UK a chance to succeed in coming weeks.
Holds,false starts and hands to the face cost us 2 TD's in the second half of the South Carolina game.The O-Line just killed us in the second half.We have had 2 weeks to work on that we should be better next week.

It’s real simple imnsho, defenses are stacking the box and daring Kentucky to throw the ball successfully.

This is going to happen the rest of the season. Let’s see if Eddie can make it backfire on them.
It isn’t so simple at all. You are right about defenses stacking their box against us. It is easy to draw up confusing blitz schemes out of a stacked box. When a defense does that, they are daring you to throw within about 3 seconds against tight man coverage. An experienced QB can take advantage. A learning QB gets sacked, fumbles, or throws an int.

OL penalties have been crucial - but they have been blocking well. Have to get the ball out - would prevent a lot of holds and sacks.

OL has definitely been a culprit, more with false starts than anything else. Holding calls will happen and are part of the game unless of course you are A&M and somehow don’t hold once during a meaningful play (smh). False starts are really inexcusable as everyone knows the snap count but UK might want to help the line out with quicker snap counts. We seem to be very slow and methodical forcing our OL to hold their stance longer. Never played OL so no idea how hard it is to adhere to just knowing the snap count as I alluded to.

You’re not going to look your best every game, stuff happens. We all have bad days on the job, we have bad weeks sometimes. Players aren’t robots that perform exactly to their rating on a video game, so much unpredictability. Wilson had one bad game and various posters in various threads throw in the towel at 5-1, they always overreact to everything.

We played two good defenses, aTm had a really good defense but we also had a bad offensive day all around. If it becomes a trend then yea but as of yet we’re in a great place and just because we saw a bad six quarters doesn’t mean there’s necessarily a season wrecking issue.

Reactions: Zone Blocker
You’re not going to look your best every game, stuff happens. We all have bad days on the job, we have bad weeks sometimes. Players aren’t robots that perform exactly to their rating on a video game, so much unpredictability. Wilson had one bad game and various posters in various threads throw in the towel at 5-1, they always overreact to everything.

We played two good defenses, aTm had a really good defense but we also had a bad offensive day all around. If it becomes a trend then yea but as of yet we’re in a great place and just because we saw a bad six quarters doesn’t mean there’s necessarily a season wrecking issue.
You get it.

Most don’t. I could go into the older posts and prove that preseason predictions here were mainly in the 6-6 to 8-4 range. A few were predicting 4-8 or 9-3, but they were outside the mainstream. Up to the 2nd week of the season, a surprising number were still questioning whether Mark Stoops should be UK’s head coach.

We beat UF, and everyone was happy. Then we beat MSU, and suddenly almost everyone was saying we will play UGA for the East.

We lost to TAM, and suddenly everyone was back to slamming our coaches and Terry.

This shows that most people wax and wane with each week. I wish they could see how far we have come in the last year, 2 years, 3 years. But the attention span doesn’t go that long I guess.

Reactions: Xception
We went super conservative in the second half against Carolina. Against A&M we went away from what we have been doing all season and it could not possibly have been any worse.

Also it’s not true that A&M dominated the LOS. Wilson had plenty of time but our receivers didn’t get open and he stayed in the pocket too long.

Reactions: crestcat
We went super conservative in the second half against Carolina. Against A&M we went away from what we have been doing all season and it could not possibly have been any worse.

Also it’s not true that A&M dominated the LOS. Wilson had plenty of time but our receivers didn’t get open and he stayed in the pocket too long.

I wouldn’t say they got dominated, but they were definitely pushed around more than they had been all season. Combine that with false starts, holding calls, hands to the face, etc, and it was definitely not their best game or what we’d grown accustomed to this season. They’re getting a pass IMO. They’ve been getting a whole lot of drive killing penalties as of late that we didn’t see earlier in the season.

I wouldn’t say they got dominated, but they were definitely pushed around more than they had been all season. Combine that with false starts, holding calls, hands to the face, etc, and it was definitely not their best game or what we’d grown accustomed to this season. They’re getting a pass IMO. They’ve been getting a whole lot of drive killing penalties as of late that we didn’t see earlier in the season.
Good points.

Xception, I don't think any fan is throwing in the towel. A lot of fans are facing the facts. TA&M was a bad game for Wilson, but also for the coaches. The second half of the USC,Jr. game was also a bad half for Wilson, and that should have told the coaches, that changes needed to be made.

Wilson could have helped himself by not sliding in overtime. Football is a physical game, and when the game is on the line, as it is in overtime, you should have the intestinal fortitude to lower your shoulder and fight for the extra yard, not feet first slide.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: Hjack
It’s real simple imnsho, defenses are stacking the box and daring Kentucky to throw the ball successfully.

This is going to happen the rest of the season. Let’s see if Eddie can make it backfire on them.
That’s true but power running teams have to be patient. Keep with what you’re good at and eventually it will break. Gran got to far away from it early and stayed away

Yep - the blue print is out and it works as long as Terry is afraid to make mistakes/plays. Mushchump made adjustments in the 2nd half of the USCjr game and aTm followed suit.

It's mainly in our QB's hands. He has to make quick reads and not be afraid to turn it over. When he runs, he can't run scared. He's going to get hit - own it.

Once he gets his mind right, we should be fine. Hoping it's this Saturday.

OL has definitely been a culprit, more with false starts than anything else. Holding calls will happen and are part of the game unless of course you are A&M and somehow don’t hold once during a meaningful play (smh). False starts are really inexcusable as everyone knows the snap count but UK might want to help the line out with quicker snap counts. We seem to be very slow and methodical forcing our OL to hold their stance longer. Never played OL so no idea how hard it is to adhere to just knowing the snap count as I alluded to.
I did,and the longer you have to stay in your stance the more likely you are to jump or flinch.It is o k once in a while, for a snap count change, but on every play it is tough.

For some reason many seem to be giving the OL a pass in this swoon. False starts, holds and plain old missed blocks have plagued the OL the last 6 Quarters. OL needs to return to their play of earlier games to give UK a chance to succeed in coming weeks.

Yeah for some reason bad passing was totally the only reason we lost. Some refuse to look at the whole game.

Xception, I don't think any fan is throwing in the towel. A lot of fans are facing the facts. TA&M was a bad game for Wilson, but also for the coaches. The second half of the USC,Jr. game was also a bad half for Wilson, and that should have told the coaches, that changes needed to be made.

Wilson could have helped himself by not sliding in overtime. Football is a physical game, and when the game is on the line, as it is in overtime, you should have the intestinal fortitude to lower your shoulder and fight for the extra yard, not feet first slide.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Maybe overreaction is a better fit, there’s plenty of that. It’s as if a slide defines him instead of it just being one play. The aTm wasn’t his but the Florida game was, it needs to balance out instead of putting so much into one. So he slid, could have easily got lost in the moment, they teach qb’s to slide because one play can derail a season but one game can’t.

Reactions: polcat01

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Tell that to Ala qb...got hurt sliding yesterday albeit a totally different circumstance.

Has anyone looked at film to see what has happened? I didn't see the pff report for the A&M game. But, this trend is concerning to me.
Some people will not like this, but here it is. The South Carolina game was over at halftime. We got so far out ahead of South Carolina, and their offense was so bad against our defense, that they could not catch us unless we choked. So we did not take any chances in the 2nd half, because taking chances was the only way to blow our lead. Bleeding the clock made sense. We won the game easily. We have beat South Carolina a lot, so we know how to do it.

TAMU has the best run defense in our conference. They were good. Strength against strength, we lost.

Judging our team on 6 quarters makes less sense than judging our team on our body of work for 24 quarters. Are we being smart, or are we caving to an angry mob that can’t remember back beyond 6 quarters?

Reactions: polcat01
Some people will not like this, but here it is. The South Carolina game was over at halftime. We got so far out ahead of South Carolina, and their offense was so bad against our defense, that they could not catch us unless we choked. So we did not take any chances in the 2nd half, because taking chances was the only way to blow our lead. Bleeding the clock made sense. We won the game easily. We have beat South Carolina a lot, so we know how to do it.

TAMU has the best run defense in our conference. They were good. Strength against strength, we lost.

Judging our team on 6 quarters makes less sense than judging our team on our body of work for 24 quarters. Are we being smart, or are we caving to an angry mob that can’t remember back beyond 6 quarters?
I agree with this except the A&M game wasn’t strength against strength. We gameplanned to try to beat them by going after their bad pass defense. Didn’t work.

Reactions: catben
I hate to say it but the more I think of our offensive personnel, this would be a great time be a triple option team.

as the announcer in the A & M game said, "playing behind the chains too much" Too many penalties, getting sacked, or no yards on 1st down. Makes the yardage have to come in 2-3 downs instead of 3-4..

To do that, Eddie would have to make a change. It ain't going to happen. GO CATS!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT