ADVERTISEMENT

5 Reasons to Get More Excited for UK Football Than Basketball

A caveat: I love football. I love Kentucky football. However, despite the depth of my love and devotion- and the same from a great many other UK fans- UK's athletic administration has, for over 50 years, never demonstrated the will nor the expertise necessary to elevate the program to a continuously competitive level in the SEC.

There's precious little the average fan can do about that. However, there is and has always been a bizarre contingent of UK fans who apparently get some sort of buzz by publicly hyping their preference for our sad sack football program over our beloved, legendary and uber-successful basketball program.

Kentucky Basketball is precious, the only jewel in UK's athletic crown and among the most famous programs/franchises in the history of American sports. Any "Kentucky fan" who is so blithely willing to trumpet football at its expense not only deserves every ounce of heartbreak they get, but in actuality hardly merits the title of "Kentucky fan."

It was a windy game, I will grant you that. But, the very first UK football game in the early 70's that I ever went to, the UK punter kicked the ball up in the air and the wind blew it behind him. I thought, hmmm, Football is not this University's thing.

We'll find out tomorrow how long a season it's gonna be, would like to see them make a bowl this year, that would be a step forward, Go Cats

It was a windy game, I will grant you that. But, the very first UK football game in the early 70's that I ever went to, the UK punter kicked the ball up in the air and the wind blew it behind him. I thought, hmmm, Football is not this University's thing.
Bummer but couldn't help but laugh.

Reactions: 15seconds?
However, there is and has always been a bizarre contingent of UK fans who apparently get some sort of buzz by publicly hyping their preference for our sad sack football program over our beloved, legendary and uber-successful basketball program.

Kentucky Basketball is precious, the only jewel in UK's athletic crown and among the most famous programs/franchises in the history of American sports. Any "Kentucky fan" who is so blithely willing to trumpet football at its expense not only deserves every ounce of heartbreak they get, but in actuality hardly merits the title of "Kentucky fan."
I like basketball but I'm finding irony in your post.

So a person who hypes our beloved basketball program (which we both know has had most of the eggs put in its proverbial basket) is a good Kentucky fan, but someone who prefers to put the emphasis on football is not a Kentucky fan??? Good lord another "real fan" speech.

Love both but truthfully it is unfortunate that UK has not been competitive in the real sport that counts. There are only 4 states that care about BB NC, Ky, Ind, and Kansas. I love UK FB, fondest memories are in Commonwealth stadium or UK beating UT in 76-77 or 76-77 years beating Penn St. two years in a row.

News for the FB bashers, no one cares about that sport, it is a one month watch, NCAA tourney is only thing for most fans, FB is the big boy sport and it's too bad UK has to be the best at a secondary sport. BB is almost lagging behind soccer, women's softball in terms of importance to the public.

We all need UK to be good at big boy sport and Football is it, no one else cares if you win a NC in BB

Huge fan of Kentucky sports. Get excited over both. There's no such thing as a basketball only UK fan. You're just a basketball fan, not necessarily a Kentucky fan. Some might not like that but it is what it is. I know a guy who likes UK basketball and Ohio state football. Sorry to break the news to ya, but you're a classic case of "bandwagon" fan. There aren't different degrees. You're either a fan of university of Kentucky athletics or you're not.

I guess I don't understand dropping a link on a board where you're going to get divisive comments. Poor form, OP

I like UK football, but here is my rebuttal to the writer of the article.
1. Fall vs winter Football season begins with hot weather for the first 3 games, and then you have 3 or 4 games with decent weather, then you freeze your butt off for the remainder of the season. Basketball is in a controlled environment. It is always comfortable.
2. Outside vs inside See above.
3. Idiots do not usually throw up on you at a basketball game, unlike those that go to Keeneland first, then tailgate for another 2 hours then keep drinking, while they sit behind you. By the 3rd quarter they upchuck on the 3 rows in front of them.
4. Watching the best in the country (basketball Cats) vs watching a team that goes above .500 every 4 or 5 years (football Cats)

If you go to a football game, it takes up a good part of your day. If you go to a basketball game, you can go, and be home, in 3 hours. If you go to a football game, you have to park in another zip code to attend, while if you go to a basketball game, you can park in the adjacent garage, and get out while you are still young.

Football is ok, and I hope the Cats win big this year, but I live and die with the basketball program.

Football has a lot of health issues= dying sport. Seems unimaginable, but football will not be able to maintain it's present form. Look for flag football or soccer to be played in current stadiums within the next 20 years.

Well football season is over. I'm just going to watch the Bengals until basketball starts. I'm taking a pass on uk football this year. The last couple years they lasted until BBM at least but this year not even past week one.

Reactions: TnRustyCAT
Stoops=Gillespie

Only difference is we live with it in football....not going to last in basketball.

On another note former Kentucky HS star Damien Harris looked amazing for Alabama tonight.:angry:

Reactions: awf
I like basketball but I'm finding irony in your post.

So a person who hypes our beloved basketball program (which we both know has had most of the eggs put in its proverbial basket) is a good Kentucky fan, but someone who prefers to put the emphasis on football is not a Kentucky fan??? Good lord another "real fan" speech.

How'd that emphasis work out tonight?

In my earlier post, I suppose I mischaracterized those with the bizarre preference for UK football over UK basketball as being counterfeit fans.

I apologize for the error. They're actually morons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT