ADVERTISEMENT

5 Kentucky high school players that didn't pick UK, but you wish they had.

I played some 5-on-5 pick up ball back in 2010 and Chris Lofton was on the other team. Not sure he missed a shot all day. That dude could flat out get buckets and I still have no clue why Tubby never offered him.
I also recall Tubby being very defensive when asked why he didn't recruit Lofton. Nevertheless, it was a major recruiting gaff.

Wes Unseld
Ron King
Otto Petty
Fenoil Crook
Butch Beard
Mike Sillman (hope the spelling is correct
Wayne Golden
Duran Rudy Macklin
Ron Thomea (U of L and the Colonels aka the chairman of the boards)
I ran into Wayne Golden at Fort Hood in 1984. I do not remember his rank but he was the point of contact on a project I was working on for the Morale, Wellfare and Fitness Department. He was playing on the post basketball team at the time and they were good. Really a nice guy and he was surprised that I knew about him from his Shawnee team that won the State Tournament in 1973. Just goes to show that it really is a small world.

And you can hide behind it was the times. Either you stand up morally or follow.

First you say the SEC was not the issue, then you claim UK should have left the SEC, all the while touting your "first hand knowledge".

Seems like you want to say something but the little tangible you've brought to the table is contradictory at best. Care to elaborate on exactly why you think Unseld didn't attend UK?

Note I don't disagree that the SEC as an organization wasn't an impediment to Unseld attending UK. UK had already expressed their intention to recruit black players in 1963 and the SEC didn't make any public efforts to stop them.

But I do think playing against and traveling to some SEC schools was a real concern for any black athlete considering joining an SEC team. And for good reason because those pioneers who did take that step were indeed harassed.

Reactions: TeoJ
Jeff Mullins from Lafayette in Lexington. All-American and ACC player of the year at Duke, Olympian, NBA all-star.
I always wonder why Jeff Mullins and Vince Taylor were both from Lexington but ended up at Duke.

Reactions: megablue
Jeff Mullins grew up right across the street from Lafayette High School and played there, before going to Duke. Not sure, but I think Taylor's Dad was a professor at UK.

I would go with:

Unseld, Mullins, Cowens, Haskins, Griffith, Houston

I listed six, as it was hard to reduce to only five.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that Rupp didn't want Cowans. If so, it wasn't a matter of him picking UK or not.

This topic about Dave Cowens and his lack of recruitment by UK at the time was discussed recently on this board.

UK was recruiting Dan Issel, George Janky and Joe Bergman for one spot. They were all nationally ranked.

Unfortunately for Cowens (and UK in hindsight) he wasn't nearly as well-regarded as the other players UK was recruiting at the time. It would have been nice to have Issel and Cowens together.

Jeff Mullins grew up right across the street from Lafayette High School and played there, before going to Duke. Not sure, but I think Taylor's Dad was a professor at UK.

I would go with:

Unseld, Mullins, Cowens, Haskins, Griffith, Houston

I listed six, as it was hard to reduce to only five.
Yes, Vince Taylor's father was a professor at UK. I was a senior at UK the year that Taylor picked Duke. A lot of people were upset when he picked Duke and it was even worse the next season when they beat us in the 1980 Regional at Rupp.

Jp stop CORRECTING ME. haha.

Maybe I was thinking the argument at the time was he took Stockton but wouldn't take lofton and I conflated it. It's been a while. But it seems like he stiffed lofton for someone at the time who didn't turn out. My memory has gotten worse since I left my 20's.
Jp stop CORRECTING ME. haha.

Maybe I was thinking the argument at the time was he took Stockton but wouldn't take lofton and I conflated it. It's been a while. But it seems like he stiffed lofton for someone at the time who didn't turn out. My memory has gotten worse since I left my 20's.

Big mistake-----leaving your 20's. I have always regretted leaving mine.

Reactions: bluebornwildcat
Jeff Hall who was a heck of a shooting guard at UL. He was a local kid and played when I was young. Lot of UK fans around here who rooted for UL to lose but Jeff to get 20!

I always wonder why Jeff Mullins and Vince Taylor were both from Lexington but ended up at Duke.

Jeff Mullins was from New York and his father was transferred to Lexington while working for IBM. The family had no loyalty to UK. None. Later Jeff's father was transferred to Boca Raton, Florida by IMB so he was just passing through Lexington.

There was never a chance for UK to sign Mullins but they sure did want him.

A big part of the reason that Vince Taylor didn't pick UK was. Because the #1 high school in America Dwight Anderson, who played the same position as Taylor was a UK commit

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
First you say the SEC was not the issue, then you claim UK should have left the SEC, all the while touting your "first hand knowledge".

Seems like you want to say something but the little tangible you've brought to the table is contradictory at best. Care to elaborate on exactly why you think Unseld didn't attend UK?

Note I don't disagree that the SEC as an organization wasn't an impediment to Unseld attending UK. UK had already expressed their intention to recruit black players in 1963 and the SEC didn't make any public efforts to stop them.

But I do think playing against and traveling to some SEC schools was a real concern for any black athlete considering joining an SEC team. And for good reason because those pioneers who did take that step were indeed harassed.
The issue with Unseld choosing another school is not the concern. He faced racial tension regardless of the school. His reasons were personal. If you get a chance to discuss it with him, feel free to ask. I will assume you get the same answers he his given previously.

Since I went to Seneca with Wes and have talked with him many times over the years I feel like I am a better source and he says it was fear of KKK

This topic about Dave Cowens and his lack of recruitment by UK at the time was discussed recently on this board.

UK was recruiting Dan Issel, George Janky and Joe Bergman for one spot. They were all nationally ranked.

Unfortunately for Cowens (and UK in hindsight) he wasn't nearly as well-regarded as the other players UK was recruiting at the time. It would have been nice to have Issel and Cowens together.
And Issel's Father made Dan take a second visit to U.K. After he had made a verbal commitment to Illinois

Jeff Mullins was from New York and his father was transferred to Lexington while working for IBM. The family had no loyalty to UK. None. Later Jeff's father was transferred to Boca Raton, Florida by IMB so he was just passing through Lexington.

There was never a chance for UK to sign Mullins but they sure did want him.

I think Vince Taylor's story might've been similar--In Lexington because his dad took a job as UK professor, but not a case of a guy with any deep family ties to the state. Interesting that both Mullins and Taylor chose Duke.

Last edited:
The issue with Unseld choosing another school is not the concern. He faced racial tension regardless of the school. His reasons were personal. If you get a chance to discuss it with him, feel free to ask. I will assume you get the same answers he his given previously.

Seriously,you are trying to argue UK basketball with JPScott.You will lose.

Reactions: ModernThirst_Bill
Like this list...
Being from Eastern Kentucky, I've heard many times that UK was not an option for King Kelly. He had ties to WVU and after he was roundly booed at the State Tournament he had pretty much had it with Lexington. Not really sure if he would've gotten along with Rupp to begin with.

Being from Eastern Kentucky, I've heard many times that UK was not an option for King Kelly. He had ties to WVU and after he was roundly booed at the State Tournament he had pretty much had it with Lexington. Not really sure if he would've gotten along with Rupp to begin with.
True. King Kelly had discipline and drinking problem. He may have lasted a week under Rupp but I doubt it. He wasted a career by being a good ole boy from the hills. But he sure could put the points on the board and will always be the Kentucky Legend of High School Basketball. #1

I am a Seneca teammate of Wes..the color barrier had nothing to do with it.His Mother wanted a safety guarantee because of the KKK down South Rupp wouldn't give that and he could not..UL was in the Missouri Valley Conference no games in Deep South..McDaniels had an advisor who ws a Scottsville Vet he demanded an $100,000 interest free loan from Rupp to get McDaniels to sign Coach Rupp told him to stick it..Casey was my Roomate at UK If he wasn't hurt in 1970 we win the Title...easy..Hollenbeck was plagued with injuries..Key was a great Guard as was Terry Mills..

1970 we win the title....easy???? Let's get serious...we very well could have won with Casey in the lineup, but lets not forget just who did win, and they were on a roll like no team ever has been or ever will be....I would have taken a 1 point win over them in a heartbeat, but thinking it would have been easy, no way my friend, no way....

1970 we win the title....easy???? Let's get serious...we very well could have won with Casey in the lineup, but lets not forget just who did win, and they were on a roll like no team ever has been or ever will be....I would have taken a 1 point win over them in a heartbeat, but thinking it would have been easy, no way my friend, no way....
With Casey Pratt and Issel and the supporting cast I'll take our chances you probably never played college ball so we will agree to disagree

The "King Kelly" story ended when he got totally destroyed by Oscar Robertson in the two Indiana/Kentucky All Star games.

I've read some interesting stories about that. Before he met Oscar a lot of Kentuckians genuinely believed Coleman was like the greatest high school player ever, and there'd been cross-border debate over who was better between he and Oscar, which Coleman himself had foolishly joined in with some trash talk type comments to reporters.

Well, that noise really pissed Oscar off (as he admits in his book), so he made it his goal to humiliate Coleman in the All Star series. A goal resoundingly met.

That was sorta the moment the "King Kelly" legend died. He was never regarded quite the same way again. It was the first time Kentuckians realized "maybe he's not as good as we thought", then he ends up playing his college ball at an NAIA school, and never makes the NBA.

But what an amazing high school career.
The King Kelly legend never died. He ended up playing at Wesleyan because he was ruled ineligible to play at WVU. Was the 9th pick in the NBA Draft the year he came out by the Knicks but made some bad decisions and never made it big. Yes, Robertson made him look like trash during the all-star game but according to some writers Kelly had been drinking heavily the night before the games, was out of shape and dealing with a leg injury. Robertson was clearly the better player but Coleman could've performed better had his head been on straight.

The King Kelly legend never died. He ended up playing at Wesleyan because he was ruled ineligible to play at WVU. Was the 9th pick in the NBA Draft the year he came out by the Knicks but made some bad decisions and never made it big. Yes, Robertson made him look like trash during the all-star game but according to some writers Kelly had been drinking heavily the night before the games, was out of shape and dealing with a leg injury. Robertson was clearly the better player but Coleman could've performed better had his head been on straight.
A Pistol Pete type player

Reactions: anon_q409idbs5m40a
The "King Kelly" story ended when he got totally destroyed by Oscar Robertson in the two Indiana/Kentucky All Star games.

I've read some interesting stories about that. Before he met Oscar a lot of Kentuckians genuinely believed Coleman was like the greatest high school player ever, and there'd been cross-border debate over who was better between he and Oscar, which Coleman himself had foolishly joined in with some trash talk type comments to reporters.

Well, that noise really pissed Oscar off (as he admits in his book), so he made it his goal to humiliate Coleman in the All Star series. A goal resoundingly met.

That was sorta the moment the "King Kelly" legend died. He was never regarded quite the same way again. It was the first time Kentuckians realized "maybe he's not as good as we thought", then he ends up playing his college ball at an NAIA school, and never makes the NBA.

But what an amazing high school career.

When did the King kelly legend die?Seems to be alive and well 60 years later with people still talking about him.

When did the King kelly legend die?Seems to be alive and well 60 years later with people still talking about him.
It never died. People from Eastern Kentucky who lived during his time still recount watching him play. Anyone who scores 68 points in the KHSAA State Tourney game will never be forgotten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT