ADVERTISEMENT

4 CATS expected to go in first 17 picks of 2018 draft

This is all some of us have been saying for a while, and boy, you'd have thought we killed brad.

If that happens, and we lose Zion, Cal will have no choice but an overhaul in some form with the way he recruits. The definition of insanity would doom him at UK.

Now that's worst case scenario, and I don't hold much stock into .Net, but it does look like Diallo will leave regardless, as will a few others. This team isn't that good as individual players as it is, some of them returning to go along with nothing else wouldn't matter.

We will see.
We may be teetering on the brink next season.

It's dicey situation for sure. Diallo is gone, and that's fine because the guard situation will be really solid. However, if PJ, Nick, and Knox leave, our inside game is going to be interesting to say the least.

We may be teetering on the brink next season.

It's dicey situation for sure. Diallo is gone, and that's fine because the guard situation will be really solid. However, if PJ, Nick, and Knox leave, our inside game is going to be interesting to say the least.

It's going to suck assto say the least is how I'd put it.

I'm hoping for the best but we've got to be real with what is happening and not fall into insanity, which can happen when you love a coach as much as we love Cal.

Reactions: kev69 and kyjeff1
How much would 5 Star Bolden helped? We do not need warm bodies. The stars are not always a good indicator especially for big men because they usually tower above the high school competition.
Right now it looks like Nick, Tai, and SKJ will all be back with another year of experience.
I'm not saying Brown will be a star next year, Ray Spalding wasns't great at first, but he's playing pretty good now. I just think when you have a 5 star 7'2 player who apparently is a UK fan and is almost begging for an offer, how do you not offer? For example, why was Baker offered, if your point is, Moses isn't maybe good enough. Baker was nowhere close to being a 5 star talent

I'm not saying Brown will be a star next year, Ray Spalding wasns't great at first, but he's playing pretty good now. I just think when you have a 5 star 7'2 player who apparently is a UK fan and is almost begging for an offer, how do you not offer? For example, why was Baker offered, if your point is, Moses isn't maybe good enough. Baker was nowhere close to being a 5 star talent
Actually that’s my point. Baker isn’t a project he is a shooter regardless of his stars and Hrro is 4 stars.

I certainly see your point. As a fan on the outside looking in, I would have to agree with you. But, as we know, Calipari probably has a really good idea about who he will have back next season. If we have Richards, SKJ and Wynyard, I'm not sure Brown would be too needed. And, if that is the case, and maybe Calipari has his sights set on other Bigs in 2019 that he likes more, then maybe Brown just isn't a good fit in Calipari's mind.

I really don't give a rats ass about where these guys are projected to get drafted. If they want to go, then go. I haven't watched an NBA game since I was in high school and I don't plan on watching another one any time soon. I love the guys while they're here and don't fault the ones for leaving who are truly ready for the pros, but this constant talk of draft status in the middle of the season got old 4 years ago.
So who do you think goes? J/K J/K

If that happens and no ZW it's a roster with Green, Baker, Quickley, Herro, Johnson, Gabriel, SKJ, and Richards. Thats assuming no one else leaves.
Unfortunately I think you're right and I think it might actually be worse. I think Gabriel, Richards and SKJ can also go.
I say this for 3 reasons:
1) Skal, Orton, Briscoe, Teague, Lamb (I can keep going). They come here to leave, not come back.
2) I really think this team is going to end up being really good by tournament time and each player will do enough to make an impression on NBA scouts
3) Potential, that's all they need. Diallo isn't good enough to contribute at the NBA level, but just like Archie Goodwin, he has serious athleticism and that's all he needs.
Some will quote me and tell me I'm wrong, but how can anybody argue with what I've said when we have all seen it happen year after year since Cal got here?
I certainly hope I'm wrong and all these guys come back, but I'm certainly not going to assume anyone is coming back until they do.

As of right now only Knox is a first rounder. If JV plays well for the rest of the season he could easily move into the first round. SGA has been our best player so far but I'm not sure he's a first rounder just yet. Possibly a late first rounder. Diallo to me is a late 2nd rounder at best right now. Too many things he needs to work on.
Problem is it's January, the draft doesn't happen until June.
Remember Skal? What'd he look like in January?
Vanderbilt is a first rounder, and he didn't play at all this year he still would have left, but he's playing now and he's going to prove that he's a first rounder.
Diallo also won't be back, don't care how he performs, he has his sights on the NBA and he has the athleticism to do it.

GOKU is the main character of one of the most popular adult/teenage cartoons of all time, called DragonballZ. D Fox for example is a huge DragonballZ and GOKU fan. Some of his pics have him as GOKU.
Yeah, but you're on a UK college basketball forum, not the adult cartoon forum.

Why not, Humphries did it. It's not like Wynyard plays much here.

I mean the precedent has been set for guys we wouldn’t even fathom to just leave. I wonder if Cal knows when they don’t have a NBA future If he advises them “ready now” for something lesser

Yeah, but you're on a UK college basketball forum, not the adult cartoon forum.
Given that D Fox and many NBA players are huge DragonballZ fans, especially GOKU fans, I think most who see GOKU coupled with the GOKU avatar will realize I am certainly not a KU fan, especially as they read my posts which will always be UK based. I followed Kentucky in 2012 all the way from the first game at the Yum center all the way to the National Title game. I am as die hard a UK fan as one can be.

I trust Calipari, but right now, we don't have enough players for next year. Last year, UK had to load up on a big class just to field a team with all the potential 1st rounders and a few graduates. But losing 4 would really hurt.

I trust Calipari, but right now, we don't have enough players for next year. Last year, UK had to load up on a big class just to field a team with all the potential 1st rounders and a few graduates. But losing 4 would really hurt.
I agree with you, which is why I am so puzzled that he hasn't offered Moses Brown, a 5 star big which by all accounts is a big UK fan, and according to some, would be a shoe in for UK if he only got the offer. I too trust in coach Cal, but if you sign a kid like Baker, average 4 star, why in the world would you not offer a 7'2 Five Star center ranked in the top 20.

Reactions: MbergCat
I agree with you, which is why I am so puzzled that he hasn't offered Moses Brown, a 5 star big which by all accounts is a big UK fan, and according to some, would be a shoe in for UK if he only got the offer. I too trust in coach Cal, but if you sign a kid like Baker, average 4 star, why in the world would you not offer a 7'2 Five Star center ranked in the top 20.

If you change your avatar you're f'd. Might as well wear a KU t-shirt.

4 guys in the top 17 and collectively they blew a 14 point lead to SC and could not get the job done at TN. Gimme a freakin' break. Diallo is not one of the top 50 players in the country. Knox can't guard a chair. Vanderbilt has played 14 minutes this season. Alexander has had a good season however top 17..I am not buying it..All that being said, I am sure they will all leave after this season and after they get bounced out of the NCAA tournament. They probably have their bags packed and sitting by the door. Oh well..this the nature of the beast in college BB.. By the way, Trae Young scored 48 pts today but needed 39 shots including 20 3 pt. attempts to get those points and OK. lost to OK State..but I am sure he is not the least bit concerned, kinda like our players.

Baker is proficient at a desirable and needed skill. You are okay with Herro? Baker shot measurably better.

Brown seems developmental across the board and will only be offered if the spots are there. Baker we could use like yesterday even if it is to swallow the minutes that Brad gets and just to space the floor.

We'll lose SGA, Knox, JV and Diallo to the draft.. Gabriel and Wynyard go over seas.. Mark it down..

I can only laugh at Diallo. Any GM in the NBA that takes him in the first round should be fired immediately.
I agree. I know he’s athletic as hell. But I’d be stunned if ever became a decent pro player. I’m sure he’s a good kid but I hate his game.

I really don't give a rats ass about where these guys are projected to get drafted. If they want to go, then go. I haven't watched an NBA game since I was in high school and I don't plan on watching another one any time soon. I love the guys while they're here and don't fault the ones for leaving who are truly ready for the pros, but this constant talk of draft status in the middle of the season got old 4 years ago.

This is the first time we have heard you voice your disdain in a draft speculation thread Roe....

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
We are already in a situation where everyone expect SGA, a 4 star recruit, to go after one season. Yet no one is taking about Green? He was ranked higher. He could easily choose to go, especially given we have a point guard coming in next year already.

We are already in a situation where everyone expect SGA, a 4 star recruit, to go after one season. Yet no one is taking about Green? He was ranked higher. He could easily choose to go, especially given we have a point guard coming in next year already.

Where are you people getting this junk?

Where does Green go?

How many freshmen have we had leave to be picked in the 2nd round?

Anybody?

AGAIN WHAT FRESHMAN HAS LEFT THAT WASN'T A FIRST ROUND PICK?

Sophomores:
Ulis was an AA - had to go.

Briscoe left because he was overhyped, didnt want to be in school and developed an attitude issue.

Hump left because he went to play for money back home 5000 miles away.

Twins pretty much like Briscoe sans the attitude.

Lamb kind of surprised the staff without 1st Round guarantees, almost made the cut.

Junior:
Dakari, not an endorsed choice by the staff.

Where are you people getting this junk?

Where does Green go?

How many freshmen have we had leave to be picked in the 2nd round?

Anybody?

AGAIN WHAT FRESHMAN HAS LEFT THAT WASN'T A FIRST ROUND PICK?

Sophomores:
Ulis was an AA - had to go.

Briscoe left because he was overhyped, didnt want to be in school and developed an attitude issue.

Hump left because he went to play for money back home 5000 miles away.

Twins pretty much like Briscoe sans the attitude.

Lamb kind of surprised the staff without 1st Round guarantees, almost made the cut.

Junior:
Dakari, not an endorsed choice by the staff.

If Diallo is in the top 20, do you really think others can't slide up the board? We haven't had any freshmen who didn't go in the first round, but we have had several who just BARELY went first round. Orton (29th), Teague (29th), Goodwin (29th), and Skal (28th). Of course, we have also had sophomores who left despite not going until the second round of slipping out of the draft entirety: Lamb (42nd), Harrison (44th), Harrison (undrafted), Dakari (48th).

So if any of our players are borderline first round, yes, they might go. If our sophomores are borderline second round, yes, they might go.

If Diallo is in the top 20, do you really think others can't slide up the board? We haven't had any freshmen who didn't go in the first round, but we have had several who just BARELY went first round. Orton (29th), Teague (29th), Goodwin (29th), and Skal (28th). Of course, we have also had sophomores who left despite not going until the second round of slipping out of the draft entirety: Lamb (42nd), Harrison (44th), Harrison (undrafted), Dakari (48th).

So if any of our players are borderline first round, yes, they might go. If our sophomores are borderline second round, yes, they might go.

Again who is borderline first round? Green isnt.

SGA is not getting drafted next year. Knox will, Hami will, and JV will. NONE are close to ready but JV is closest. And it dont matter cuz they will all go anyway.

Reactions: Jim Sauer
If that happens and no ZW it's a roster with Green, Baker, Quickley, Herro, Johnson, Gabriel, SKJ, and Richards. Thats assuming no one else leaves.

That is a good team.

Five Guards- Green, Quickley, Johnson, Herro, and Baker. Three 5-stars and two 4-stars.

Five Forwards- Washington, Richards, Gabriel, Killeya-Jones, and Wynyard. Four 5-stars and one 4-star.

Seven 5-stars and three 4-stars total. Three Juniors, four Sophs, and three Freshmen.

Cal usually only plays 8-9 guys and we will have 10 that should be able to contribute.

So unless an elite guy is available, there's just not any room for another Freshman to come in and be a rotation player.

Looking at what is available, who can come in and beat out what we have inside? Brown isn't playing over Richards and SKJ at the 5. Montgomery isn't beating out Washington and Gabriel at the 4.

Wiseman, if he reclassifies, is the only guy I see available that could get run on that team.

The backcourt is already full.

I think we sign another 4-star or two for depth.

Now if we lose a few guys like Richards or Washington or Gabriel, then we might be able fit a Montgomery or Brown into the rotation.

But I think we get most of the frontcourt guys back. Cal just isn't acting very concerned about recruiting big men. If he were, why didn't he offer Brown after Bol chose Oregon?

Looking forward to some experience playing next season.

That should make the "we need guys to come back" half of the board happy.

We will still have to hear the "Cal has lost his touch recruiting" half of the board complain, though.

Reactions: Elijah55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT