ADVERTISEMENT

3 straight Q4 turnovers lost the game, not Stoops

Time was on our side. I don't think you want to be calling timeouts to give them more time to score. We blew the game with turnovers. You take those away and we win. They were favored. Our coaches out coached them and put us in position to pull off the upset, but we turned it over 4 times.
The clock was stopped at least 6 times during that last drive. At least two of those were Clemson going out of bounds and at least 3-4 first downs that stopped the clock. Also, the intentional grounding penalty stopped the clock.

A timeout could have been used on any of those clock stoppages and not aided Clemson, but if the D was gassed like everyone is saying, they could have at least regrouped and possibly changed their scheme.

I personally think the D was more confused than gassed. If so, they definitely needed a timeout either way.

We also probably stop Clemsux if we play man and rush 4 instead of the charmin extra soft 3 rush and playing 10 yards off the receivers. We gave Klubnick time to eat a sandwich, smoke a cigarette and find his WIDE OPEN receiver with nobody within 10 yds for a 16 yd gain. Then the Dline got pushed back 5 yds on 4th and 2 to give the game to Clemsux.

This is nothing new, the play not to lose but lose bend but always breaks defense is a Stoops trademark. You can blame Brad White all you want, but he was doing exactly what Stoops ordered and trained him to do, play soft.

Clemsux knew UK would play that defense from game film from just about every game, every season. How many times have we watched Stoops and the Defense let a team March right down the field to score in the last 2-3 minutes of each half? I can't remember in a tight game when we didn't. He played defense that at FSU and he will never change his Uber conservative ways. How many DCs and OCs have we seen with their hands tied by him....he is the common denominator. He always finds a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
Not going to disagree with your assessment. But, what defense we played on last series never happens without turnovers.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Including link: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/
"Odd that you think what happened in the MO game with an aggressive plan on defense has no relevance to our passive defense on that last drive against Clemson.

Might want to listen to Clemson QB postgame comments on that last drive. "They were GIVING US easy throws"......

If you think that defense strategy on the last drive was a winning strategy/scheme, you are wired like CMS.

Fear of failure and playing risk averse will get you beat against the better teams."

You’re at it again today? You’re exhibiting a mindset that a lot of people are foolishly exhibiting. It’s short sighted.

You think that Kentucky is one home run hire away from being elite. But let me tell you (again) why you’re living in fantasy land. For starters, there is no home run hire. We would not get a top level D1 coach from another school. We would have 2 options, a coordinator or a mid major head coach.

We have a top 25-30 recruiting class currently. That’s gone. Poof. Gone.

We have excellent portal additions. A QB from Georgia, Rb from Ohio state, WR from TAM, and an all American LB from Georgia. All brought in by this staff. They would be gone. Poof

All of our best players like Deon Walker……gone. Transfer portal. You’re looking at a ground up rebuild heading into the new SEC.

NIL deals are in place and stoops has the pockets of our biggest boosters. He is in their favor. Will that money be there if we fire stoops? Probably not.

Will hiring a new coach improve our recruiting base? No. This is the plight of the football program and always has been.

Like it or not, this is the golden age of Kentucky football. This isn’t up for debate. Its fact. No one with any sense is lobbying to fire the coach. It has nothing to do with expectations or settling for mediocrity. We all want to win. But there’s fantasy and there’s reality. Sometimes you just can’t date a supermodel no matter how many changes you make.

If you simply can’t stomach this football team anymore then you just need to move on. But your magic wand theory is pure fantasy.
Missouri says otherwise with 11 wins and a cotton bowl win over Ohio St. in year 3 with Drinkwitz. Keep on promoting the "let's make excuses on why not" loser mentality.

Including link: https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/
"Odd that you think what happened in the MO game with an aggressive plan on defense has no relevance to our passive defense on that last drive against Clemson.

Might want to listen to Clemson QB postgame comments on that last drive. "They were GIVING US easy throws"......

If you think that defense strategy on the last drive was a winning strategy/scheme, you are wired like CMS.

Fear of failure and playing risk averse will get you beat against the better teams."
????????????

The clock was stopped at least 6 times during that last drive. At least two of those were Clemson going out of bounds and at least 3-4 first downs that stopped the clock. Also, the intentional grounding penalty stopped the clock.

A timeout could have been used on any of those clock stoppages and not aided Clemson, but if the D was gassed like everyone is saying, they could have at least regrouped and possibly changed their scheme.

I personally think the D was more confused than gassed. If so, they definitely needed a timeout either way.
We did have an inexperienced corner in the game because of injuries. I think they were trying to protect him and keep it simple.

We were ahead 35-30 when Clemson started their last drive.

After all the turnovers, the offense still managed to get us a lead with just over 2 minutes to go in the game.

If you think our coaches outcoached Clemson on that last drive, you are disputing what CMS said about how they handled it on defense.

That famous prevent defense worked again. Prevented us from winning, that is.
I didn’t say on the last drive. I said they were favored, yet we should have won. We out coached them because we win if it weren’t for turnovers. I would never make a general statement about coaching based on one series.

Reactions: grevey35
We did have an inexperienced corner in the game because of injuries. I think they were trying to protect him and keep it simple.
Choosing to rush 3 and not get any pressure on the QB sure isn't the way an intelligent coach would try to protect an inexperienced corner.

That gives the QB more time to find an open receiver and forces an inexperienced DB to try to cover for a longer period of time.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. CMS made a really bad decision on that last drive and he knows it.

And it cost us a huge win. And it cost CMS a lot of coaching credibility......and not just with UK fans.

The irony of the attempts to blame stoops for the offensive play calling and turnover. If stoops had anything to do with the offense, we definitely start burning click handing it to the sec leading TD maker. Wouldn't be throwing the same go route we tried but failed to complete all season.

Also we win that game most certainly. Without backbreaking turnovers, Clemson doesn't even have time to come back

Reactions: grevey35
The turnovers gave them the opportunity to beat us. The prevent defense prevented us from taking away their opportunity.
I like Stoops. I want him to be our coach for years to come. I would also like for him to reserve prevent defense for situations where we are up at least 21 points with less than 5 minutes in the 4th Q.

The irony of the attempts to blame stoops for the offensive play calling and turnover. If stoops had anything to do with the offense, we definitely start burning click handing it to the sec leading TD maker. Wouldn't be throwing the same go route we tried but failed to complete all season.

Also we win that game most certainly. Without backbreaking turnovers, Clemson doesn't even have time to come back
Have you ever heard "play the next play"?

You can't wallow in pity because you have made a mistake on the field like committing those turnovers.

The offense sucked in the 3rd quarter. They also sucked in the fourth quarter on those first 3 turnovers.

But then, they put that behind them instead of crying about their mistakes like little butt hurt girls, and hung 2 touchdowns on Clemson to regain the lead with 2 minutes in the game.

What transpired from that point forward is what actually determined the outcome of the game. Period.

Everything else is just excuse making for coaching failures in the final 2 minutes.

The final 2 minutes of each half of CMS coached games all have the same identity. And that is because they reflect his mindset on finishing halves and closing out games, regardless of score or opponent.

It is his football DNA and it will continue to wrestle defeat out of the jaws of victory. It is what it is and CMS is who he is.

And we are who everyone says we are in football.

Have you ever heard "play the next play"?

You can't wallow in pity because you have made a mistake on the field like committing those turnovers.

The offense sucked in the 3rd quarter. They also sucked in the fourth quarter on those first 3 turnovers.

But then, they put that behind them instead of crying about their mistakes like little butt hurt girls, and hung 2 touchdowns on Clemson to regain the lead with 2 minutes in the game.

What transpired from that point forward is what actually determined the outcome of the game. Period.

Everything else is just excuse making for coaching failures in the final 2 minutes.

The final 2 minutes of each half of CMS coached games all have the same identity. And that is because they reflect his mindset on finishing halves and closing out games, regardless of score or opponent.

It is his football DNA and it will continue to wrestle defeat out of the jaws of victory. It is what it is and CMS is who he is.

And we are who everyone says we are in football.

All those words and gymnastics to avoid criticism of coen which ultimately just proves my point

• Haha
Reactions: cathouse
All those words and gymnastics to avoid criticism of coen which ultimately just proves my point
Lol.
What part of " the offense SUCKED in the third quarter" did you have trouble deciphering???

You seem to be the one who has an agenda. I am just stating facts.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Reactions: UKat1
Lol.
What part of " the offense SUCKED in the third quarter" did you have trouble deciphering???

You seem to be the one who has an agenda. I am just stating facts.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Offense sucking then blamed it on stoops. That's all coen. The more you post the more you prove me right. For the sake of the thread I will let it go

• Haha
Offense sucking then blamed it on stoops. That's all coen. The more you post the more you prove me right. For the sake of the thread I will let it go
Who hired Coen?? Thats right, the buck stops with Stoops. He hired an 0C to play the style O scheme that he wants....and still micro manages his OC, just like he does Brad White, I would bet that Stoops had White go limp on 3rd and 18 with no pass rush and laying back 10-15 yds off the receivers...with having all day to find a receiver and with most of them WIDE OPEN, you sir could've completed the pass. It's a bowl game, you play to win...PERIOD.

I'm no Brian Kelly fan but he sure allowed Matt House to rush 6 and have 5 back against Wisky on that last Wisky drive that ended disastrous for Wisky QB fumbling while being sacked on 4th dn. Bravo to House for being aggressive to stop the drive and win the game.

Stoops will never change his Ultra conservative football philosophy. Yes the three turnovers hurt bad, but the Offense did get the lead back, all the D had to do was keep Clemson from driving down to score. But how many times throughout Stoops tenure have we seen the same outcome at the end of 1st half and end of a one score game???

I'll answer for you.......FAR TOO MANY.

17 points off of 3 straight turnovers won/lost the game. The players were put in a position to easily win and coughed it up.

I guess trolls, drunks and bettors take over during losses,

Then there's the posters who hate Stoops and this was their chance to dance around and say "see, told you so!". Saw alot of things yesterday that would make a fan excited for next year with a better QB.
Wrong.......actually 3 straight turnovers and a defense as soft as Charmin Ultra on the last series and lack of any consistent run game cost UK the game. O line wasn't opening any holes for Davis. O line still is struggling

WRONG. We were up 21-10- entering the 4th quarter. You WIN those games.....unless you turn it over. You're clueless.
Well obviously I'm not as we led 35-30 with just over two minutes left and played bend but break defense with no pass rush aside from 3 down linemen. Even Klubnick said from watching film they knew we struggled with tempo and knew we'd play sift zone and no pass rush, allowing him to have wide open receivers. That sir tells anyone that defense lost the game...yes the three turnovers hurt, but UK regained the lead. There was no guarantee that up 11 they wouldn't have scored twice to take lead.....of course we'll never know, the only play that matters is the last and that play sucked

We lost because we scored less points.

Fact. Period. End of story.

Look at me I’m a tough guy too.

Fact. Period. End of story.

No discussion.

/thread

Edit: I should have caps locked some words. Then I really would have come across as a “I’ll smash my computer to show you what I’m made of because I’m always right” type of guy.

17 points off of 3 straight turnovers won/lost the game. The players were put in a position to easily win and coughed it up.

Then there's the posters who hate Stoops and this was their chance to dance around and say "see, told you so!". Saw alot of things yesterday that would make a fan excited for next year with a better QB.
Desmond Howard on the Bama/mich pregame show just said Alabamas teams under Saban are usually disciplined and don’t turn the ball over but they did early in the year. Then went on to say they’ve since cleaned that up.
Why would he say that if turnovers and discipline have nothing to do with the coach?

WRONG. We were up 21-10- entering the 4th quarter. You WIN those games.....unless you turn it over. You're clueless.
Those 3 turnovers resulted in 11 points for Clemson. That would make the score 21-21.

Explain to us how they scored the other 17 points in the 4th. Quarter.

I'll hang up and listen.

And Crazy legs Al Bundy once scored 4 touchdowns in a single game in High school.
disgusted married with children GIF
I am used to the constant stream of stupidity from you but could you at least make it somewhat relate to what you are responding to? I'm sure you were very proud and thought yourself very clever as you giggled while posting this one.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I am used to the constant stream of stupidity from you but could you at least make it somewhat relate to what you are responding to? I'm sure you were very proud and thought yourself very clever as you giggled while posting this one.
I did giggle. Do they not allow you to have humor while living up the administration's rear, or is it too tight for that?

It's a fact. Ball insecurity at its worst.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT