ADVERTISEMENT

'24 UK Football Predictions

Auburn instead of Miss St is a much tougher game.
Not necessarily. Too early to tell. This will be the year when we find out if Hugh Freeze can get it done there. Maybe he can, maybe not. Auburn fires football coaches like Putin changes defense ministers, and there is a reason for that. The game is in Lexington, and FWIW I expect a W. We will likely be a slight favorite at game time although it's a little early to know.

I am confident Vandagriff, if he stays healthy, will be the most productive QB of the Stoops era by a significant margin. I am also confident our 2024 OL will be better than our 2023 OL was, although it's hard to say at this point just how much better. But I expect a significant improvement. I like the additions of Hamdan and Wolford to our coaching staff.

So, in my mind, saying it "all rides" on Vandagriff and the OL will not prove out. All due respect, that's too simple. I believe Hamdan will put points on the board, so I am inclined to think a whole lot rides on our defense (especially our secondary) and secondarily on our punting game. In 2023, our defense was uncharacteristically bad on 3rd do

wn, and a big part of the problem was our pass defense. That has to get better.

FWIW, I have a problem with people thinking in May that they know the ceiling for next fall's team. Nobody does. Many SEC games are decided by less than 5 decisive plays. Pretending in the spring that we know how those few plays will go in the fall speaks to a poster's level of confidence based mostly on last year. As far as it goes, that's understandable. But it has nothing to do with 2024 and with an offensive coaching staff with 3 new coaches.

I tend to agree on BV, hated seeing him leave but when Beck stayed that sealed it, with no Beck he was likely starter at UGA in 24. But with the ability to score quick, it also means more possessions for the other team. So defense could be improved, but stats not show it. Keeping BV healthy is key, I don't have much faith in the Rutgers transfer and by coaches bringing him in coaches are concerned about the backups. If th line is improved UK's offense can be formatable and tough to defend. CMS will always put a good, physical defense on the field.

I am confident Vandagriff, if he stays healthy, will be the most productive QB of the Stoops era by a significant margin. I am also confident our 2024 OL will be better than our 2023 OL was, although it's hard to say at this point just how much better. But I expect a significant improvement. I like the additions of Hamdan and Wolford to our coaching staff.

So, in my mind, saying it "all rides" on Vandagriff and the OL will not prove out. All due respect, that's too simple. I believe Hamdan will put points on the board, so I am inclined to think a whole lot rides on our defense (especially our secondary) and secondarily on our punting game. In 2023, our defense was uncharacteristically bad on 3rd down, and a big part of the problem was our pass defense. That has to get better.

FWIW, I have a problem with people thinking in May that they know the ceiling for next fall's team. Nobody does. Many SEC games are decided by less than 5 decisive plays. Pretending in the spring that we know how those few plays will go in the fall speaks to a poster's level of confidence based mostly on last year. As far as it goes, that's understandable. But it has nothing to do with 2024 and with an offensive coaching staff with 3 new coaches.
The defense underperforming is a LOT less likely, given how consistent they have been over the last 5 years, especially given their inconsistency was mainly at one position that was dealing with a lack of depth and injuries, and how much returning production we have, than the risk of the offense underperforming given new pieces at OC, QB, Oline and RB. There isn't a football analyst with half a brain who would say so. With all due respect.

I could see us going 8-4 but I could also see us going 6-6, so with that said I'll split the difference and say 7-5.

Reactions: JASUN74
I hardly see how a game result 4 years ago is relevant given how few contributors remain the same. What is different & favors OM is Kiff has his system fully installed and his players in place. Stoops is not near as much changed in my belief. Net, we either can or we can't. If OM is up to the hype, very doubtful for us imo even with a better team.

Well, you might see some relevance if you had your facts straight.

Game was two years ago not four. It was not Kiffen's first year, his system was in place.

Dart was the QB then, he will be now...and, while he has more experience, we have experience defending him in this scheme. Also of significance, now they don't have Judson. He was the difference in the game two years ago.

I was not at all impressed with their home field advantage and their fans had every reason to show what they had in a game that went to the wire. What impressed me the most was the number and noise made by UK fans. Honestly reminded me of a game at Vandy.

Well, you might see some relevance if you had your facts straight.

Game was two years ago not four. It was not Kiffen's first year, his system was in place.

Dart was the QB then, he will be now...and, while he has more experience, we have experience defending him in this scheme. Also of significance, now they don't have Judson. He was the difference in the game two years ago.

I was not at all impressed with their home field advantage and their fans had every reason to show what they had in a game that went to the wire. What impressed me the most was the number and noise made by UK fans. Honestly reminded me of a game at Vandy.

Let me also add, they had no answer for Barion Brown then and they don't now.

The UK defense that held them to 22 points that day is largely still intact. Hayes at NG. Ox, Rybka, Saunders and Walker along the DL. Jackson and Weaver at LB. Hairston and Lovett in the secondary.

The UK defense that held them to 22 points that day is largely still intact. Hayes at NG. Ox, Rybka, Saunders and Walker along the DL. Jackson and Weaver at LB. Hairston and Lovett in the secondary.
Check the record...contrary to what you said, a great many contributors remain the same.

The best 6-6 team in the country. I don’t think UK has the proven depth to win 7 or more games against their schedule. And I think the lack of depth catches them, or bad turnover luck, when they come out flat against an inferior team. Thin margin between 6-8 wins especially with this schedule.

Reactions: billoliver40
I will go 8-4 with possible 9-3.

I am tired of thinking we will lose one we should have won and such. It is time to get over the next hump. I know SEC football is now tougher than ever. I know it will be harder to get the W. I am going to believe again this year, enjoy the build up and hopefully enjoy one heck of a ride this year. Why not!
Amen. Of course I started thinking this way about 7 years ago and am what some may call a blue tinted glasses wearing type of fan. Lmao. But I do think we’re more talented overall than we’ve been since Mark Stoops took over the program. Yes the schedule is tough with probably more respected teams than before, but man Kentucky is now one of those teams that can absolutely beat everyone we play on a given night. Of course we’re not going to win every game but we it can happen if the ball bounces just right a few times. Anyway, I’m seeing 9 great wins with a chance to get ten if we get some confidence at the right time. It’s hard to say with some new players at important positions, but they are some great football players who can get it done so we’ll see. I think another 9 wins would be amazing with a chance at a big bowl win. I do think 8 wins is what is have to predict if I were putting a lot of money on it. I can’t wait to see how they gel together.

Reactions: blue cincy

Not predicting an OM win, but they loaded up with 20 portal kids, led on offense by Carolinas best WR Wells and former number one player from ATM Nolan. This team won't look much like the 23 team. They are all in on doing better than just being in the playoffs. Plus like Kiffin or not, he is a very good offensive coach.

UF has added 2 from the portal that helps their talent level, a WR who from ASU that they expect to be their number 1 and former 5* CB McClain from Colorado.

Last edited:
Reactions: cat888
5 "we  better win" games. 2 midmajors, FCS, Vandy, South Carolina. I don't care if South Carolina has won two in a row against us, they were 5 and 7 last year, lost Rattler, and the game is in Lexington.
3 "should win" games. Auburn at home, U6 at home, Florida in Gainesville. Two of these three teams had losing records last year, and the other, well, it's just Louisville.
4 probable losses, but it's not like they're four unbeatable teams (Georgia might be). I'd bet anything that a crap team upsets Tennessee, Ole Miss and/or maybe even Texas, so why can't we, if we have a decent team, get an upset?
Basically, anything less than 7 and 5 sucks.

5 "we  better win" games. 2 midmajors, FCS, Vandy, South Carolina. I don't care if South Carolina has won two in a row against us, they were 5 and 7 last year, lost Rattler, and the game is in Lexington.
3 "should win" games. Auburn at home, U6 at home, Florida in Gainesville. Two of these three teams had losing records last year, and the other, well, it's just Louisville.
4 probable losses, but it's not like they're four unbeatable teams (Georgia might be). I'd bet anything that a crap team upsets Tennessee, Ole Miss and/or maybe even Texas, so why can't we, if we have a decent team, get an upset?
Basically, anything less than 7 and 5 sucks.
Texas has seemed to shit the bed a few times each year for a while now. I agree we could be one of their trap games this year.

We play them the week before they play A&M. Not sure how deep that rivalry still runs but I know they hate that school. LOL.

Texas has seemed to shit the bed a few times each year for a while now. I agree we could be one of their trap games this year.

We play them the week before they play A&M. Not sure how deep that rivalry still runs but I know they hate that school. LOL.

It's pretty big on the dislikes. ATM tried to block their entering the SEC. They are still upset about it and rumors still floating around of them looking to join the Big. So the dislike is right there with Bama-Auburn and Mich-OSU.

This will be the year when we find out if Hugh Freeze can get it done there. Maybe he can, maybe not.

For those counting Auburn as a loss, go back to last year and search YouTube for New Mexico State’s boat racing of Auburn in its own house. This was the Aggies first win over a P5 in decades, and they poured it on Auburn.

Has Auburn improved? Have we?

but they take Bama and Georgia to the wire - go figure.
Effort. They can if they want but they have a culture of "ME" that makes it hard to play every down if you aren't winning at a high level or going pro.

Not necessarily. Too early to tell. This will be the year when we find out if Hugh Freeze can get it done there. Maybe he can, maybe not. Auburn fires football coaches like Putin changes defense ministers, and there is a reason for that. The game is in Lexington, and FWIW I expect a W. We will likely be a slight favorite at game time although it's a little early to know.

AU will be better in 24, but still not a powerhouse and still in bottom half of SEC, I think UK handles them pretty well.

Reactions: cat888
Ole Miss - L (Kiffen has owned Stoops, coaching mismatch

Undecided if I think we will win but it definitely is not a coaching mismatch. Stoops should've won both games Vs ole miss. Aj rose and terry turnover was brutal and we still win if our kicker doesn't miss. Second time we had the game winning td called back for a freshman mistake that usually goes uncalled.

Reactions: backinky2018
6-6

Southern Miss -W ( ill give them this but game 1 under a new OC is a little scary)

South Carolina -L (Beamer has owned Stoops since the goofy sunglasses comment)

UGa -L (Complete ass whipping)

Ohio - W ( closer than we think after getting our teeth kicked in)

Ole Miss - L (Kiffen has owned Stoops, coaching mismatch)

Vandy - W

Florida - W ( Napier could be on the hottest of hot sears and already fired at this point)

Auburn - L ( too much talent and a Hugh freeze offense in year 2... I predict a double digit victory by Auburn)

Tenn - L (Stoops will never win against Heupal again... too much offense... coaching mismatch)

Murray St -W

Texas - L game may be closer than we think

UL - W (Complete tossup, Picking UK till Cards win one though)
Maybe on the record, but its a big stretch to say Kiffin has "owened" Stoops. Last two times against each other came down to last plays. Ask Kiffin is he was lucky to pull either one out and he's agree. Called back touchdown and two fumbles by Levis in final minutes saved his but at his place.

Reactions: EdgeHD
Maybe on the record, but its a big stretch to say Kiffin has "owened" Stoops. Last two times against each other came down to last plays. Ask Kiffin is he was lucky to pull either one out and he's agree. Called back touchdown and two fumbles by Levis in final minutes saved his but at his place.
No such thing as moral victories. You lose 3 in a row a team owns you until said streak is stopped.

• 10/1/2022
  • Oxford, MS
  • 10/3/2020
  • Lexington, KY

• 11/4/2017
  • Lexington, KY

I’m not understanding all the love for Texas. Good team, yes. But they are very gettable! They also are playing a tougher schedule than they are used to playing. Having them picked for 10.5 wins, this isn’t Earl Campbell’s Texas. I just believe we can play with them, I could be totally wrong.

I’m not understanding all the love for Texas. Good team, yes. But they are very gettable! They also are playing a tougher schedule than they are used to playing. Having them picked for 10.5 wins, this isn’t Earl Campbell’s Texas. I just believe we can play with them, I could be totally wrong.
It's talent. They have recruited top talent for 5years and get good transfers. They beat Bama last year which shows their ceiling.

Reactions: Cabo Blue
No such thing as moral victories. You lose 3 in a row a team owns you until said streak is stopped.

• 10/1/2022
  • Oxford, MS

• 10/3/2020
  • Lexington, KY

• 11/4/2017
  • Lexington, KY

• 10/1/2022
  • Oxford, MS

• 10/3/2020
  • Lexington, KY

• 11/4/2017
  • Lexington, KY
I understand that ROT but the point wasnt about moral victories, it was about Kiffin OWNING Stoops which implies dominating him. That's just not the case.

It's talent. They have recruited top talent for 5years and get good transfers. They beat Bama last year which shows their ceiling.

A big thing is their boosters have decided they want to win another NC and are willing to pay. OSU, Oregon ATM are going to be paying 25-40m per year. Coaches there will be under tremendous pressure to win this one, not the next one. OSU spent 7m one weekend on 2 transfers, with the money they are spending Day better not lose to Mich if he likes his job.

Reactions: hmt5000
My football podcast shows are starting preseason predictions. And some already say Texas hosting Kentucky the week before the resurrection of Texas-Texas a&m is the biggest look ahead trap game of 2024.

Reactions: hmt5000
Not sure how deep that rivalry still runs but I know they hate that school. LOL.

I know some Texans and some ex-pats.

How deep does it run?

Again, the opening words of aTm’s fight song are, “Gooodbye to Teexas Universityyy, soo long to the Orange and the Whiiiite.”

Their hatred knows no reasonable bounds, making the Iron Bowl and Ohio State/Michigan look like gentlemanly affairs.

Last edited:
A big thing is their boosters have decided they want to win another NC and are willing to pay. OSU, Oregon ATM are going to be paying 25-40m per year. Coaches there will be under tremendous pressure to win this one, not the next one. OSU spent 7m one weekend on 2 transfers, with the money they are spending Day better not lose to Mich if he likes his job.
Texas actually has the largest endowment in college. I forget how it's set up but they have a gold holding that is top 10 in the nation among all institutions. They have oil and gas rights gifted to the school. It's kind of nutty how money UT has and how pitiful their production is in comparison.

My football podcast shows are starting preseason predictions. And some already say Texas hosting Kentucky the week before the resurrection of Texas-Texas a&m is the biggest look ahead trap game of 2024.
Called it.... Shout me out on you podcast. Also link... I'll watch.

7-5 I think we are better than last year but our schedule alot tougher closer to 6-6 than 8-4 chose 7-5

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT