ADVERTISEMENT

22 calls from one ref all against UK?

That foul on Reeves under the basket was a Higgins-level blown call. Combine that with the several missed A&M travels, Mitchell's phantom foul under the basket, and Rob getting no calls while getting murdered going to the rim, and it was some of the worst officiating I've seen in one of our games this year...which is saying a lot.

We didn't deserve to win this game, but the officiating was definitely a factor. It would be disingenuous to say otherwise.

The video in his clip which was reeves 4th foul call was a huge turning point in the game. Instead of having the ball down 10, they hit a 3 after retaining possession to push lead to 13. Just seemed to tip the momentum in their favor there. Horrible foul call on reeves.

This is true. Bald black guy that looks a lot like Phat Adams. At one point you saw Cal barking at him and he was just staring off just like Phat Adams does when Cal is ripping his ass.

The calls aren’t all that influence games. The NO CALLS on both ends are strategic. These refs know what they are doing and when to call or not call things. They spend a lot of brain time thinking about periodic momentum shifts and how they can interject themselves into that flow.

Sports gambling is ruining all sports. You will never convince me that refs don’t manipulate games to align with their anonymous gambling. Or are paid under the table for influencing the game to go a certain way (Vegas). Or paid bonuses by the SEC to influence games to get bubble teams into the dance.

Last edited:
Next year you have west coast teams playing in the ACC. Why the heck do we need conference affiliated refs? Don’t tell me it is about travel if west coast teams play on east coast. Refs should rotate conferences weekly so all refs get a shot at all conferences. This may eliminate some bias. 🤷‍♂️

SEC refs suck, and they all seem to hate Cal. It’s a bad combo.
We are a good gamble in Vegas. I think we need to understand that before saying they just hate Cal. All coaches rip the refs, even K did it. This is about the money line and how much Vegas can make off of the lost bets if we lose. I believe certain refs are paid by Vegas bookies or massive organizations to influence game outcomes.

We are a good gamble in Vegas. I think we need to understand that before saying they just hate Cal. All coaches rip the refs, even K did it. This is about the money line and how much Vegas can make off of the lost bets if we lose. I believe certain refs are paid by Vegas bookies or massive organizations to influence game outcomes.
I think both can be true. But I absolutely think refs hate Cal and it’s a factor.

And the SEC assigning refs to manipulate games to get a couple more SEC teams into the dance. How much does the SEC get for each team making the tournament?
I don’t know, but it’s exhausting watching other leagues bend over backwards to protect their cash cows, while the SEC screws us. Imagine them trying to do that to Bama in football, their fans would burn everything to the ground.

I don’t know, but it’s exhausting watching other leagues bend over backwards to protect their cash cows, while the SEC screws us. Imagine them trying to do that to Bama in football, their fans would burn everything to the ground.
Yep I told my wife last night, just wait until we turn on the TV for today’s SEC games. The place will be empty. The SEC just sent home an entire stadium full of fans spending money on merch, perking up that area’s weekend economy, and making the stadium exciting.

There aren’t enough fans of the remaining teams to even fill that place now that we are done.

Couch is insufferable and has brought a lot of it on himself with his tongue.

0YG1cCr.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I see some people are waking up..

You can have a "C" game and still win. Uconn gave up 90, they certainly didn't play their "A" game.. yet they won.

You shouldn't have to play perfect to win. Cal can still have bad outings, and get the win in the end. We don't seem to be afforded that. We didn't play great of course, but we still played well enough, IMO, that this should have been a win, but the officiating was a difference maker, once again tonight.

Couch is an insufferable asshole and has brought a lot of it on himself with his tongue.

0YG1cCr.png

I got bad news for you if you're hoping Dan Hurley is our next coach..

Also our own fans went after officials. We stepped in it ourselves. Hard to blame Cal for the calls when we might be the most loathed fanbase in the eyes of the refs.

Reactions: coachcombs57
Sports gambling is ruining all sports. You will never convince me that refs don’t manipulate games to align with their anonymous gambling. Or are paid under the table for influencing the game to go a certain way (Vegas). Or paid bonuses by the SEC to influence games to get bubble teams into the dance.
I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but that doesn't mean that some conspiracies don't have merit.

I work with a guy who used to play D2 ball and refs a lot of high school games. The last few years he's reffed several A10 games, mostly in Dayton. I think he makes about $300/gm. I'd imagine power 5 refs make no more than $1k/gm. You telling me that 100% of these refs wouldn't be tempted by thousands of potential dollars that can be made by "missing" a few calls per game with zero accountability after the fact?

There needs to be a serious investigation into college basketball officiating. Incompetence can't account for all of this.

I got bad news for you if you're hoping Dan Hurley is our next coach..

Also our own fans went after officials. We stepped in it ourselves. Hard to blame Cal for the calls when we might be the most loathed fanbase in the eyes of the refs.

And why did our fans go after officials?

Rhetorical question of course. It was bad before that. We kept getting screwed over in the biggest games by the same guy. Why was it happening then?

The refs were terrible. Our preparation, coaching, and adjustments during the game were worse.
Both are true. This game was exactly like the previous game with A&M, we changed nothing defensively and they did the same thing offensively and we had the same result. Although the refs sucked I'm not going to complain about them because we got exactly what we deserved.

I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but that doesn't mean that some conspiracies don't have merit.

I work with a guy who used to play D2 ball and refs a lot of high school games. The last few years he's reffed several A10 games, mostly in Dayton. I think he makes about $300/gm. I'd imagine power 5 refs make no more than $1k/gm. You telling me that 100% of these refs wouldn't be tempted by thousands of potential dollars that can be made by "missing" a few calls per game with zero accountability after the fact?

There needs to be a serious investigation into college basketball officiating. Incompetence can't account for all of this.
The design is no accountability. That couldn’t go anything but wrong - if your goal is a fair and honest outcome.

And why did our fans go after officials?

Rhetorical question of course. It was bad before that. We kept getting screwed over in the biggest games by the same guy. Why was it happening then?

The point is you can't condone one and allow the other. I'd make the argument that SINCE that incident, the calls have gotten even worse.

Btw, I love what we did to Higgins. I think refs SHOULD be challenged. Too bad the NCAA can't do its job properly. But unfortunately, there are consequences.

Either way, Cal is far from the worst agitator with the officials. I think the calls are more because the NCAA doesn't like the way we build our teams and needs to keep NBA-level players from dominating the sport. It also doesn't want to see UK win because that puts a thorn in the side of UNC and Duke. Lastly, there's a clear grudge between Emmert and UK (and he still has plenty of ties and constituents with the NCAA).

If Cal is getting this treatment because he yells at officials.. then what about the other 360 D1 coaches.. many of whom are worse?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT