ADVERTISEMENT

2024-2025 Roster

ChicagoCat1990

Sophomore
Jul 5, 2016
Chicago
Without this turning into a "it doesn't matter what roster we have if we still have Cal" kind of thread.

What is a somewhat realistic roster next year that would have the makings of a team that could compete for a FF?

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
Does it matter?

I kid, I kid. Sorta

It's just way to early to tell. We seem to be "reaching out" to a lot of portal guys, which I guess could mean we are expecting to lose a lot.

On the other side, we have heard only 1 announcement in almost 2 weeks, and even Adou is up in the air about what he will do.

Hopefully Cal is just having everyone announce at once and get it over with.

• Haha
Reactions: NociHTTP
Without this turning into a "it doesn't matter what roster we have if we still have Cal" kind of thread.

What is a somewhat realistic roster next year that would have the makings of a team that could compete for a FF?
I hope we are able to get Liam McNeely. The kid can shoot, which this class seems to lack, and I believe he would be a great complimentary to what we have coming in.

I don’t like speculating on things like this, because it’s not going to happen, but I’ll give my opinion on what the starting lineup “should” look like…

Pg- Fland
Sg- Wagner
Sf- J. Edwards
Pf- Z
Pf/C- JQ/ CS

Adou, Reed, and Rob almost 100% gone.

Edit: I just saw the OP said, “team that can make a FF.” I don’t see any scenario with 6 freshman, leaving basically 4 schollys for returnees/ high impact transfers, where that is even a remote possibility.

Last edited:
I don’t like speculating on things like this, because it’s not going to happen, but I’ll give my opinion on what the starting lineup “should” look like…

Pg- Fland
Sg- Wagner
Sf- J. Edwards
Pf- Z
Pf/C- JQ/ CS

This is not a good team in my opinion, I don’t trust DJ or Edwards enough to make huge leaps in their game. Idk maybe I’m wrong but I’d rather have an experienced guard running point

In a perfect world no Freshman would start, although I could see Fland starting along side DJ or best available transfer PG. Get the best available SG/SF portal, get Adou back, get Z back.

Reactions: TM2013
The problem with this is the lack of info on current players and the fact that there will be TONS of dudes to still enter the portal. With what we have currently to work with in terms of information here’s what I’d say:

-Wagner
-Fland
-Richmond
-Knox
-JQ
-Somto
-Perry
-Burks
-Z
-Trey Townsend: Oakland
-Tyson: Belmont
-take your pick high scoring mid major guard

This is not a good team in my opinion, I don’t trust DJ or Edwards enough to make huge leaps in their game. Idk maybe I’m wrong but I’d rather have an experienced guard running point
No, it’s not a good team, although I’d love to see what Z could do if played correctly and given the green light. Wagner and Edwards would surely make some improvements, but man, that 3pt. percentage for that team would be a little left to be desired, outside of Fland, Z, and probably Perry.

Yeah, I would rather get portal players than DJ for sure, now Edwards could be nice be there is no chance he comes back.

I think this is more likely the roster

PG - DJ comes back/Boogie/Perry
SG - Boogie/Transfer SG/SF player like Reeves/Perry/Hart
SF - Transfer SG/SF like Reeves/Richmond/Knox
PF - Adou/Burks
C - Ivisic/Quaintance/Somto

That is 11 players....2 more spots for another guard if we need it or talented players that comes available.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
We need less freshmen, not more. We have to get older. Now, if we were to subtract a freshman or two from the current class, then I could understand.
I definitely agree. However, if we have a chance at getting a great shooter, freshman or not, Cal needs to bring them in. We can't have too many shooters.

What it needs to be for us to be where we need to be imo:

1) Reed, DJ, Boogie
2) DJ, Boogie, Perry
3) Elite transfer 3, Knox/Richmond/Boogie
4) Adou or elite transfer 4, JQ, Burks
5) Big Z/JQ

Reactions: TM2013

PG- Wagner/Fland/Perry
SG- Portal 2G/Hart/Perry
SF- Portal SF/Knox/Richmond/Hart
PF- Thiero/Burks
C- Big Z/Quaintance/Cyril

I don’t see us making the FF next season, unless Sheppard decides to come back. It doesn’t sound like he will.

Based on Pilgrim’s latest info, it looks like this is our most likely lineup:

G Fland/Perry
G Wagner/Richmond/Hart
G Thiero/Knox
F Quaintance/Burks
F Ivisic/Cyril

That leaves two scholarships to use in the portal if Cal decides to use 13, like he should but never does.

But there’s not any room for a starter with Wagner, Thiero, and Ivisic back. That’s three likely starters and I expect Cal will want to start Fland and Quaintance.

I would like to see us get two wings from the portal and start them at the 2 and 3 with Wagner at the 1, Thiero at the 4, and Ivisic at the 5. I’d bring the Freshmen along slowly and only play them if they can push a veteran out of the lineup. But that’s not Cal’s M.O., so forget that.

Our best bet is Freeman comes in. I think he is one of the few that would accept being a role player off the bench.

Not a bad roster. I am not a Wagner hater, like some on here. I think he could develop into a really good player for us, if he returns.

I hope Ivisic comes back and gives us some good minutes at the 5. He could be very good for us if Cal uses him correctly. He also needs to live in the weight room this summer.

Thiero back would be huge, especially on the defensive end. We need his toughness.

Overall, it’s a team that could be better defensively than this last one, and it better be because it won’t be anywhere near as good offensively. We won’t have the shooters like we did this past year.

Hopefully Wagner develops into a lockdown on ball defender. He has the ability to be that. Thiero should also be a lockdown defender. Ivisic, with some added muscle, should be a solid interior defender. If the Freshmen can defend, we could be pretty solid on defense.

I’m saying Sweet Sixteen ceiling.

Reactions: TFCats11
I don’t see us making the FF next season, unless Sheppard decides to come back. It doesn’t sound like he will.

G Fland/Perry
G Wagner/Richmond/Hart
G Thiero/Knox
F Quaintance/Burks
F Ivisic/Cyril

That leaves two scholarships to use in the portal if Cal decides to use 13, like he should but never does.

But there’s not any room for a starter with Wagner, Thiero, and Ivisic back. That’s three likely starters and I expect Cal will want to start Fland and Quaintance.

I would like to see us get two wings from the portal and start them at the 2 and 3 with Wagner at the 1, Thiero at the 4, and Ivisic at the 5. I’d bring the Freshmen along slowly and only play them if they can push a veteran out of the lineup. But that’s not Cal’s M.O., so forget that.

Our best bet is Freeman comes in. I think he is one of the few that would accept being a role player off the bench.

Not a bad roster. I am not a Wagner hater, like some on here. I think he could develop into a really good player for us, if he returns.

I hope Ivisic comes back and gives us some good minutes at the 5. He could be very good for us if Cal uses him correctly. He also needs to live in the weight room this summer.

Thiero back would be huge, especially on the defensive end. We need his toughness.

Overall, it’s a team that could be better defensively than this last one, and it better be because it won’t be anywhere near as good offensively. We won’t have the shooters like we did this past year.

Hopefully Wagner develops into a lockdown on ball defender. He has the ability to be that. Thiero should also be a lockdown defender. Ivisic, with some added muscle, should be a solid interior defender. If the Freshmen can defend, we could be pretty solid on defense.

Not a bad roster at all. Shooting would be the big concern until they prove otherwise. Add a reliable shooter from the portal and it's a pretty solid roster.

What's Pilgrims' latest update?

G Fland/Perry
G Wagner/Richmond/Hart
G Thiero/Knox
F Quaintance/Burks
F Ivisic/Cyril

Obviously I would take DJ if he came back, not really sure where he would go anyway, he shot 29.2% which of course he could get better, but think about the looks he was getting, he was literally wide open all year and shot that %, can you all even imagine what he will shoot like next year without Reed, Reeves, etc.

The 6 freshman
Adou and z maybe
-And go get some combo from the group of Davis, storr, Tyson, omoruyi, Utah st big, Blackmon, pope, Oklahoma guard, and maybe somebody else I am missing
-Tyson, Blackmon/davis, and omoruyi would be perfect to mix with the freshman and adou and z
-Fland, Blackmon, Tyson, adou and quantaicne/omouruyi, is a fun lineup. The. You have Knox and Richmond as energy guys off the bench, with z and Perry as offensive threats

Last edited:
Cannot pick. I thought we would have heard more on players by now. Adou is the only to really do anything.
Rob Gone for sure. No sure about any of the rest. A bunch of Jeff Sheppard's friends and old teammates all say they will be floored if Reed does not come back. So who knows. I think he is waiting to see who all we have before he makes his decision official. I can see Bradshaw, Edwards, Burks all in the portal with Adou. I can see Adou coming back. Just too many unknowns.

Also you hear UK name being mentioned to reaching out to players in the portal but you do not hear anything more than that. We will miss out on the best again this year I assume on portal.

Wagner, Thiero, Ivisic, and Burks expected to return.
I love hearing that possibility thrown out by someone supposedly with some connections around the program or with the players themselves. Even if it turns out not to be the case, I'll take a little positive news for a day.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Revised response:

G Wagner/Fland
G Blackmon/Perry/Hart
G Davis/Knox/Richmond
F Thiero/Burks
F Ivisic/Quaintance/Cyril

Use all scholarships.

Get experienced wing shooter/scorers. Blackmon(Stetson) and Davis(FAU) are both proven scorers (21ppg and 18ppg) and both shot around 40% from 3 this past season. They are both Seniors. Davis has FF experience. He’s 6’4, 200 lbs. so he can probably play the 3.

Play the veterans. Wagner, Blackmon, Davis, Thiero, and Ivisic start and bring Burks in as sixth man. Let the Freshmen fight for minutes. And give Hart a fighting chance as well to log some meaningful minutes.

Then maybe we can make a deep run in March.

PF - Adou/Burks

That is 11 players....2 more spots for another guard if we need it or talented players that comes available.
Really need the transfers to be great shooters and to be good enough to start over our freshman. And need Big Z be able to play stretch on offense but also be strong on the defensive glass and protecting the rim.

Recruit him back with the promise to teach him the hook shot Davis developed when he was here that made him a post threat.

Give Adou the Patrick Patterson training course. Call Patterson up and ask him to come train the guy or tell you how to do it.

I would tell DJ if he wants to take 15 shots a game he needs to go pro. If he comes back it’s to learn how to run a team with a focused on shooting, decision making, and passing. Call up Rondo, see if he can come in for a week and show you some nba training drills for floor generals.

Cal says he’s about these kids. Well sometimes doing what’s best for these kids isn’t sending them to the slaughter of the NBA rookie contract/process. It’s bringing them back and using all your, and your university’s recourses to prepare them for their professional careers. And that’s all easier said than done. But you have to at least try. Just hasn’t felt like the effort has been there lately.

PF - Adou/Burks

Hard to imagine a team that plays DJ and Boogie together doing much. Neither shoots it nearly well enough.

Pg- Fland
Sg- Wagner
Sf- J. Edwards
Pf- Z
Pf/C- JQ/ CS

Edit: I just saw the OP said, “team that can make a FF.” I don’t see any scenario with 6 freshman, leaving basically 4 schollys for returnees/ high impact transfers, where that is even a remote possibility.
If Wagner is your SG, Lord have mercy....

Really need the transfers to be great shooters and to be good enough to start over our freshman. And need Big Z be able to play stretch on offense but also be strong on the defensive glass and protecting the rim.

Recruit him back with the promise to teach him the hook shot Davis developed when he was here that made him a post threat.

Give Adou the Patrick Patterson training course. Call Patterson up and ask him to come train the guy or tell you how to do it.

I would tell DJ if he wants to take 15 shots a game he needs to go pro. If he comes back it’s to learn how to run a team with a focused on shooting, decision making, and passing. Call up Rondo, see if he can come in for a week and show you some nba training drills for floor generals.

Cal says he’s about these kids. Well sometimes doing what’s best for these kids isn’t sending them to the slaughter of the NBA rookie contract/process. It’s bringing them back and using all your, and your university’s recourses to prepare them for their professional careers. And that’s all easier said than done. But you have to at least try. Just hasn’t felt like the effort has been there lately.
Spot on about Wagner. He needs to learn to run the point. That means make your teammates better, not try to score every possession.

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
People act like DJ can never improve.You do know that at many schools guys come back and get better.
Might have a bit more to do with the current level of coaching that’s going on. Did anyone stick out as having improved greatly from the start of the season to the end?

The problem with this is the lack of info on current players and the fact that there will be TONS of dudes to still enter the portal. With what we have currently to work with in terms of information here’s what I’d say:

-Wagner
-Fland
-Richmond
-Knox
-JQ
-Somto
-Perry
-Burks
-Z
-Trey Townsend: Oakland
-Tyson: Belmont
-take your pick high scoring mid major guard
Townsend is a stud. He kicked all our bigs butts and played very well. I'd take him.

Feels like we will lose about everyone important, swing and miss a bunch in the portal and the freshman coming in or nowhere close to what we just had. Add in same old Cal and company with monumental pressure. Eekkk
happy new year don't live like you're in prison GIF

You don't think Edwards is going to be better next year? Have you ever watched a basketball game?

Might have a bit more to do with the current level of coaching that’s going on. Did anyone stick out as having improved greatly from the start of the season to the end?
From year to year PJ Washington, Nick Richards, Keion Brooks, Ugo, yeah people get better with experience

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT