ADVERTISEMENT

2022 MLB Draft

Only one high school player in last year's draft signed for more than $1M after the 9th round: Mason Albright to the Angels in the 12th round of the 2021 draft. Again, it could absolutely happen, but history would suggest that players like Dana often come to school at this point.

Reactions: parrott
Day two is now complete. A recap:

- Ryan Ritter to the Rockies in the 4th round.
- Tommy Specht to the Rangers in the 6th round.
- Tyler Guilfoil to the Houston Astros in the 8th round.
- Sean Harney to the Tampa Bay Rays in the 8th round.
- Chase Estep to the New York Mets in the 9th round.

The biggest news is RHP Caden Dana has still not been selected. We'll see what happens tomorrow, but that has to be viewed as a positive development for UK. A LOT of guys will be in play tomorrow. Pretty much any draft eligible guy left.

Rounds 8-10 a lot of times they are calling around asking guys if they'll sign below slot value so they can pay other guys above them more to get to where they need to be to sign. At this point they pretty much know what they need to make up in the lower rounds to make the earlier picks work. After the 10th round they dont get pool credit back if they sign guys below slot. So, 8-10th round is the last chance they have to recover the pool money they know they need. Its common that guys who go 11th and later to actually make more money than an 8th-10th guy.

They wont just take someone in 8th-10th round and hope they sign because if they don't sign, they have the full slot value subtracted from the overall pool, so there is pretty much zero chance they'd pick him if they didn't know 100% he's signing. So, unfortunately, he is gone for sure, unless something earth shattering happens.

Reactions: SeanCain
Really hoping the drop motivates Dana to come to UK with something to prove.

Other UK recruits are Drew Lafferty, Carson Applegate (whom we need desperately as a SS), and Lukas Schramm. I feel good about none of these guys going in first ten rounds but would still like to see them drop just because we need all of them.

Reactions: SeanCain
Really hoping the drop motivates Dana to come to UK with something to prove.

Other UK recruits are Drew Lafferty, Carson Applegate (whom we need desperately as a SS), and Lukas Schramm. I feel good about none of these guys going in first ten rounds but would still like to see them drop just because we need all of them.
Glad to see you joining the conversation.

Yessir. It's so hard to get difference makers to come if you're not a Vandy, LSU, etc. Just in the Minge era they've lost Rutledge, Knowles, Parker, Merrill, Perry and Cantillo to signing, that I can think of off top of my head.

I don't think we lost Parker to the draft/signing. He went JUCO for 2 years and then went in the 5th round in 2020. He's now dealing in High A for the Nationals with a 1.90 ERA in 15 starts.

Stupp goes in the 12th round to the Tigers. Makes me think he'll sign. Doesn't seem like they would waste the pick otherwise, but I guess you never know.

Reactions: Cats2Omaha
Stupp goes in the 12th round to the Tigers. Makes me think he'll sign. Doesn't seem like they would waste the pick otherwise, but I guess you never know.

That will be an interesting one there. Takes a good chunk of time to recover from an arm injury. So, it is unlikely that he has a full year next year for UK, if he were to return. More likely, he could come back and maybe show off some stuff late in the season next year, but will that really even be enough to raise his stock a lot? Might raise it some by showing he's healthy, but could also hurt it if he isn't healthy enough.

So, the 12th might be a spot where he gets his money and gets out. That makes the Dana situation that much more pressing for UK's pitching staff.

This is a case of exactly what I posted last night. If you look at the Angels picks, they took a 5th year guy in the 7th, 9th and 10th round. Those guys probably got next to nothing to sign. That gives them another 500k or so on top of the 125 already slotted to where Dana was taken. So, they can probably throw 500-600k at him to get him to sign if it would take that much and they don't need any of it for higher round guys.

Man that hurts bad… best two commits go in 6th and 11th rounds and gone. Hard to win in the SEC not getting guys like that on campus for a few years with the spots they were selected.

This is a case of exactly what I posted last night. If you look at the Angels picks, they took a 5th year guy in the 7th, 9th and 10th round. Those guys probably got next to nothing to sign. That gives them another 500k or so on top of the 125 already slotted to where Dana was taken. So, they can probably throw 500-600k at him to get him to sign if it would take that much and they don't need any of it for higher round guys.
Hearing it's more in the $1.5 mil range.

I'm guessing they got Neto below slot too, so that free'd up more as well. In fact, I thinking that most of the guys they took probably went below slot.

I'm actually pretty surprised Daniel Harris hasn't gone yet. He is a 5th year guy that I feel like teams would want. I wonder if he wouldn't go under slot early on so he is still out there?

I'm actually pretty surprised Daniel Harris hasn't gone yet. He is a 5th year guy that I feel like teams would want. I wonder if he wouldn't go under slot early on so he is still out there?

How much interest does he have in continuing to pursue baseball? I had heard last summer that he was partly leaning towards hanging it up and trying to go to law school.

How much interest does he have in continuing to pursue baseball? I had heard last summer that he was partly leaning towards hanging it up and trying to go to law school.
Well, he's playing in the Draft League so that would indicate he'd at least like to try, I'd think.

McGeary is an interesting spot there too. Could give himself a big payday if he comes here and rakes.

Reactions: Cats2Omaha
I think this is why you saw them go after more multi-year guys in the portal. Dudes who are draft eligible are going to sign if given the chance, by and large. McGeary included.

• Sad
Reactions: parrott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT