ADVERTISEMENT

2019/20 Group of Six Bowl Payouts

The-Hack

All-American
Oct 1, 2016
I think the SEC will fill either 3 or 4 of the Group of 6 bowls.

So how do they choose which to fill and which to leave shopping for a non-SEC team?

I would assume they would choose to fill the higher payout bowls to maximize profit to the SEC.

Here are the payouts for this year’s G6 bowls (plus Citrus):

1. Citrus, 8.550 million.

2. Outback, 6.350 million.

3. Texas, 6.326 million.

4. MusicCity, 5.650 million

5. Belk, 4.505 million

6. Liberty, 4.294 million

7. Gator, 3.168 million.

If the SEC chooses to fill the highest paying of the G6 bowls, Gator is sucking hind teet, along with the Liberty.

I had assumed incorrectly that an older bowl like Gator would pay more than newer bowls like Belk and Texas.

What say you: would it make sense for the SEC to take a December 27 Texas Bowl over a January 2, Gator Bowl? The Texas Bowl pays out twice as much.

It is my understanding it is divided up equally with the participant getting 1 extra share for expenses..

bowl = $1.5M
teams get $100k with participant getting $200k

Reactions: The-Hack
The SEC shares in all revenue....They split the total into 16 shares....each school gets a share.....the SEC gets a share and the team participating in the bowl gets the last share for expenses....

The SEC shares in all revenue....They split the total into 16 shares....each school gets a share.....the SEC gets a share and the team participating in the bowl gets the last share for expenses....
Except Missouri this year since they are banned they will not share in the bowl revenues

I forgot about the league share, yes I believe this is correct

I know when I was talking about the bowl scenario and mentioned the biggest payouts possibly being selected it wasn't meant as what we (UK) would be getting. Just that the SEC is more likely to fill the Texas Bowl for instance over the Gator Bowl. That is double the money being giving back to the conference. That's why a better location (Florida) will possibly miss out this year compared to a place like Nashville (potentially much worse weather) for instance.

As I said before I think the Outback, Texas, and MCB will be locked in for the SEC. Just to much money involved. I think the lowest payout selected will be Liberty (if MSU wins) since it is only a marginal difference from the Belk, but would be more likely to bring in more MSU fans due to distance.

People here are focusing way too much on bowl payout. That is not a factor. Bowl money is all split up equally among the members.

Bowl placement is a collaboration between the SEC office, the bowls themselves, and the member institutions.

Reactions: bluejohnson
People here are focusing way too much on bowl payout. That is not a factor. Bowl money is all split up equally among the members.

Bowl placement is a collaboration between the SEC office, the bowls themselves, and the member institutions.

It's a factor when all bowls aren't filled. If you have a $6 million bowl and a $3 million bowl you get $3 million less dollars to share amongst the conference if for some reason that $6 million bowl wasn't selected (that would be an extreme case). Even without that you still get a bigger share of the bowl you are selected to.

z0q8IPl.jpg

So for the Gator Bowl ($3.17 million), we would get $1.33 million for our share plus travel expenses. How much is that I don't know? Let's say it's $250k (just a random number). That would put us at $1.58 million for our share. The rest is split into 15 equal shares from $1.59 million which would be about $106k. The conference gets one share and I guess we would get another share with 14 shares left for 14 schools. That ends up with us getting around $1.69 million total.

If we went to the Belk Bowl ($4.5 million), we would get $1.5 million. Then throw in the travel expenses (again using a random amount $250k) gives us $1.75 million. That leaves $2.75 million to share at $183k a share. That extra share puts us at $1.93 million. That's an extra $180k more than the Gator.

If the Gator was selected over the Belk than that leaves the conference down that extra $1.33 million to share. While that isn't huge money it still is a chunk of lost revenue.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/2019/

If the Gator was selected over the Belk than that leaves the conference down that extra $1.33 million to share. While that isn't huge money it still is a chunk of lost revenue.

All true. Yet a significant number of sites are projecting us to the Gator. Frequently, in the past, this much smoke proved a fire!

All true. Yet a significant number of sites are projecting us to the Gator. Frequently, in the past, this much smoke proved a fire!

Who knows what's going to happen? I wish it were more straightforward and transparent. Group of 6 bowls being in a specific order and not being supposedly "equal" would help.

It's a factor when all bowls aren't filled. If you have a $6 million bowl and a $3 million bowl you get $3 million less dollars to share amongst the conference if for some reason that $6 million bowl wasn't selected (that would be an extreme case). Even without that you still get a bigger share of the bowl you are selected to.

z0q8IPl.jpg

So for the Gator Bowl ($3.17 million), we would get $1.33 million for our share plus travel expenses. How much is that I don't know? Let's say it's $250k (just a random number). That would put us at $1.58 million for our share. The rest is split into 15 equal shares from $1.59 million which would be about $106k. The conference gets one share and I guess we would get another share with 14 shares left for 14 schools. That ends up with us getting around $1.69 million total.

If we went to the Belk Bowl ($4.5 million), we would get $1.5 million. Then throw in the travel expenses (again using a random amount $250k) gives us $1.75 million. That leaves $2.75 million to share at $183k a share. That extra share puts us at $1.93 million. That's an extra $180k more than the Gator.

correct - posters saying “even distribution” are just assuming something that isnt true

With new rankings, SEC may bump everyone down one bowl. Thus all bowl tie ins would be met.

z0q8IPl.jpg

Bowl payout is literally NEVER mentioned by insiders (e.g. KSR locally; Brett McMurphy nationally) as a factor. When they interview Mitch or university reps, it's all about A) attractive destination for fans and players, B ) recruiting, C) Bowl prestige.

If the Gator payout is lower than Music or Belk, UK would still choose Gator b/c it's A) a more prestigious bowl, B ) a great winter destination for UK fans and players, C) a place that UK likes to recruit, and D) a more traditional New year's day bowl.

In short, bowl payouts are NOT factoring into decisions.

With new rankings, SEC may bump everyone down one bowl. Thus all bowl tie ins would be met.

If we only get 3 into NYD6/ playoffs, then Citrus gets one, and then only 5 of the remaining Group of 6 bowls can be filled.

By my count we have 9 bowl eligible teams.

With Mizzou (probation) Ole Miss, Arkansas, Vandy and South Carolina staying home.

Bowl payout is literally NEVER mentioned by insiders (e.g. KSR locally; Brett McMurphy nationally) as a factor. When they interview Mitch or university reps, it's all about A) attractive destination for fans and players, B ) recruiting, C) Bowl prestige.

If the Gator payout is lower than Music or Belk, UK would still choose Gator b/c it's A) a more prestigious bowl, B ) a great winter destination for UK fans and players, C) a place that UK likes to recruit, and D) a more traditional New year's day bowl.

In short, bowl payouts are NOT factoring into decisions.

I might agree with that if all bowls were getting filled and the SEC didn't have a say in where teams are going.

If that's the case, then the Gator will go unfilled and the others will not. Correct?

No one really knows what the SEC will do since there doesn't seem to be any written rule anywhere. That's why every prediction by the experts seems to be different. No one knows. Everything with the SEC is about money though and you would think that would be a priority when picking bowls when you don't have enough teams to fill them.

Since all 6 bowls are supposed to be equal, how else should they decide which gets left out? The Florida bowls have had very poor attendance numbers in recent years as well. Seems like a double whammy for the Gator to go with the payout.

I read an article this am that said Liberty is first out if there aren’t 6 to fill 6.
I think each of these bowls have some type of caveat that they can opt out of a league tie in under certain conditions.
After thinking on it, the recruiting advantages, likely better weather and just history of the bowl likely outweigh the dollar loss between the Gator and other bowls.

What SOME cities will look at, as has been mentioned, is whether the bars, restaurants and motels will get filled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT