ADVERTISEMENT

2 Weeks Before Game Day: Iowa Analaysis From An Iowa Fan

The guy sounds whacked.

I appreciate your honest assesment of Iowa-- at least you and me have represented Iowa fairly here. This @cidsports guy has already been figured out by Kentucky fans as a total Hawk homer so doubt he gets much credibility. Fanatics like him is why fan bases get labeled as whiny and babies.
I keep hoping our OL will take that next step. Tough test against Hutchinson and Ojabo for sure.

I would think that bowl prep with Ferentz would have to generate some improvement there. Petras would look a lot better if they played at even an average level (collectively).

I do think Williams will be a better back with this line than Goodson as far as hitting the hole faster. Obviously, not as much of a big play threat or as good a receiver at this point. I could see Goodson as a slot in the NFL.

I keep hoping our OL will take that next step. Tough test against Hutchinson and Ojabo for sure.

I would think that bowl prep with Ferentz would have to generate some improvement there. Petras would look a lot better if they played at even an average level (collectively).

I do think Williams will be a better back with this line than Goodson as far as hitting the hole faster. Obviously, not as much of a big play threat or as good a receiver at this point. I could see Goodson as a slot in the NFL.
The Goodson loss in the game will hurt but other positions Iowa would have been hurt more at if the #1 guy went down.

Not sure what to expect from the OL or QB this game. I agree that the QB looks better if the OL is better-- but I also think Petras is simply limited in what he can do even if he had an All-American OL. Still have no idea why Iowa would not have gone hard into the transfer portal this winter knowing just how poor the QB play has been and knowing the high number of QBs are in the portal-- they can't keep fooling themselves it's just all because of the OL.

LOL at Hawkeye fans arguing with each other on the UK board....;)

Just my $0.02..... If UK holds the TO margin >0, UK wins. All in all, I see this as a close game either way - kinda has a 20-17 feel to it...
It's all good. You have two Hawk fans here who have enjoyed sensible and honest interaction with UK fans. I just don't like other fans coming in, even fans of my own school, playing the "woe is me" card because as Hawk fans we take great pride in how we carry ourselves-- and hopefully people like me and Brew have demonstrated that.

As far as the turnover factor for the game, if Iowa goes +2 or more on UK in that department then odds will favor Iowa because it means Iowa is playing the game they like to play it. So plain and simple, if UK keeps their turnovers way low and doesn't give Iowa a distinct advantage in that department, UK has a great chance beating Iowa. I truly believe these two teams are very very evenly matched and will be a very close game.

Something else I often look at (especially when we're playing SEC schools) is the penalty factor.

Unfortunately for Iowa, you guys play a much cleaner game than your conference brethren, so we don't have that advantage to look forward to.

Bottom line as previously mentioned, if Iowa turns the ball over more than UK, we're toast.

If we are unusually successful on offense, then the Cats are toast.

Reality is likely somewhere in the middle. Look for Iowa's special teams to be a factor (returns/blocks).

If both teams play to their full potential, I would probably take Kentucky in a close one, although missing Ali is a pretty big deal for you guys (bigger than us missing Goodson). Levis' running ability really bothers me.

Fun to see how it all plays out. Should be a good game (blowouts are boring)!

Something else I often look at (especially when we're playing SEC schools) is the penalty factor.

Unfortunately for Iowa, you guys play a much cleaner game than your conference brethren, so we don't have that advantage to look forward to.

Bottom line as previously mentioned, if Iowa turns the ball over more than UK, we're toast.

Reality is likely somewhere in the middle. Look for Iowa's special teams to be a factor (returns/blocks).

If both teams play to their full potential, I would probably take Kentucky in a close one, although missing Ali is a pretty big deal for you guys (bigger than us missing Goodson). Levis' running ability really bothers me.

Great post. The only part I laughed at was when you said "if we are unusually successful on offense". Sorry, but I have like no confidence in Iowa's offense period and doubt it changes on New Year's Day.

@rucker4

Iowa's offensive line was derailed with injuries in the spring. Tyler Schott missed the first two games and took time to get up to a 60 minute game.

The loss of Terry Roberts and Riley Moss impacted Iowa defense and special teams. I do suggest the lost snaps of 3rd down DE Huckett and Craig were factors.

Iowa got off the a great 6-0 start, but the rise to #2, one could suggest they peaked. The Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin games saw key players absent.

The O-Line never really peaked. If they show up against Kentucky, then it should be a good game. If not, a 30-3 game wouldn't surprise many.

We shall see.

Special teams coverage unit hasn't been quite the same, since Terry Roberts went out.

He was special against Iowa State and Penn State.

The loss of unit leaders can have an impact on wins and losses.

Think back to the 18-17 game at Iowa State. At Nebraska, some others stepped up. But, Nebraska isn't Michigan or Kentucky.

Iowa needs a healthy O-Line. The last time Iowa played 13 games, the O-Line was spent.

How healthy will Kentucky be in Orlando?

There stud DE was banged up at season's end?

A lot of teams are banged up at season's end. Michigan looked as good as any Wolverines team I have seen, since 2004.

Of course, they are hoping it is more like 1997 for them.

#128 in Turnovers, so obviously, a huge key.

In Iowa’s three losses, very few turnovers by the opponents.

Iowa’s style of play sometimes helps draw opponents into mistakes. With Mark Stoops, unsure what plays out facing his alma mater.

Iowa has never beat a Stoops lead team outside Iowa City.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
@rucker4

Iowa's offensive line was derailed with injuries in the spring. Tyler Schott missed the first two games and took time to get up to a 60 minute game.

The loss of Terry Roberts and Riley Moss impacted Iowa defense and special teams. I do suggest the lost snaps of 3rd down DE Huckett and Craig were factors.

Iowa got off the a great 6-0 start, but the rise to #2, one could suggest they peaked. The Penn State, Purdue and Wisconsin games saw key players absent.

The O-Line never really peaked. If they show up against Kentucky, then it should be a good game. If not, a 30-3 game wouldn't surprise many.

We shall see.

Special teams coverage unit hasn't been quite the same, since Terry Roberts went out.

He was special against Iowa State and Penn State.

The loss of unit leaders can have an impact on wins and losses.

Think back to the 18-17 game at Iowa State. At Nebraska, some others stepped up. But, Nebraska isn't Michigan or Kentucky.

Iowa needs a healthy O-Line. The last time Iowa played 13 games, the O-Line was spent.

How healthy will Kentucky be in Orlando?

There stud DE was banged up at season's end?

A lot of teams are banged up at season's end. Michigan looked as good as any Wolverines team I have seen, since 2004.

Of course, they are hoping it is more like 1997 for them.
I posed three questions to you earlier you've not answered yet.

1) Turnovers factor into games always for any team, but you honestly think Iowa beats Purdue or Wisconsin had they been reduced?

2) As for Hankins, you believe Iowa beats Wisconsin or Michigan with him? (the two losses he missed)?

3) We beat Purdue or Wisconsin if Moss plays?

Again, we lost by a combined 51-14 to Purdue and Wisconsin and a combined 93-17 if you add in the Michigan loss also.

Iowa's O-Line was bad in 2021 and that was due mostly to youth and inexperience. Injuries were a very small component of that. Tyler Schott is likely not even Honorable Mention All B1G caliber..

The Iowa specialty teams haven't been the same since Roberts went out? They have survived just fine.

Last edited:
@rucker4 - so, the injuries in the spring and fall camp in O-Line were not a factor? Iowa moved to 6-0 despite the poor O-Line. The O-Line continued to have players hurt throughout the season. None were season ending injuries, like others (Hankins, Roberts?)

The game next is Iowa vs. Kentucky. New series, with three figures at Kentucky, which make this game a little more intriguing.

Mark Stoops homecoming facing Iowa is certainly intriguing. He is trending well, with new contract and Top 10 recruiting class signed for 2022.

Iowa has seen Kentucky's top QB and top WR, when they were in B1G. A different OC though and that makes it intriguing, as well.

On paper, Kentucky is the favorite and rightfully so.

They bring their A Game, this one could be an ugly 30-3 loss, like Iowa's last loss against an SEC opponent in a bowl game?

That was a home game for Florida.

Both Kentucky and Iowa are trending upward for 2022. The Wildcats are on a better footing, with a strong OL.

@rucker4 - so, the injuries in the spring and fall camp in O-Line were not a factor? Iowa moved to 6-0 despite the poor O-Line. The O-Line continued to have players hurt throughout the season. None were season ending injuries, like others (Hankins, Roberts?)

The game next is Iowa vs. Kentucky. New series, with three figures at Kentucky, which make this game a little more intriguing.

Mark Stoops homecoming facing Iowa is certainly intriguing. He is trending well, with new contract and Top 10 recruiting class signed for 2022.

Iowa has seen Kentucky's top QB and top WR, when they were in B1G. A different OC though and that makes it intriguing, as well.

On paper, Kentucky is the favorite and rightfully so.

They bring their A Game, this one could be an ugly 30-3 loss, like Iowa's last loss against an SEC opponent in a bowl game?

That was a home game for Florida.

Both Kentucky and Iowa are trending upward for 2022. The Wildcats are on a better footing, with a strong OL.
LOL, OK, I get it, you don't want to answer my three questions because your honest answers would look silly to everyone. Instead you throw out other issues. This must be the stuff Brew was talking about as far as knowing you hahaha.

What a cool post. Thank you and I hope you have a Merry Christmas. Its going to be an extremely physical game thats all I know.

LOL at Hawkeye fans arguing with each other on the UK board....;)

Just my $0.02..... If UK holds the TO margin >0, UK wins. All in all, I see this as a close game either way - kinda has a 20-17 feel to it...
Perhaps but where are they manufacturing points? We are excellent against the run which only leaves them a passing game and their QB is pretty bad. He doesn't have the ability to pick us apart like EweT or Miss. St. did. I think they'll need a couple scores off TO's to reach 17. I'm really not too concerned about how much they score, it will be limited. The question is how much we can score. We'll know pretty quickly if their D can stand up to Kinnard and Dotson. Any chance Eli gets back for the bowl game? I really don't see how their DL is going to deal with Kinnard. The mans a monster with a mean streak.

Reactions: rucker4
Perhaps but where are they manufacturing points? We are excellent against the run which only leaves them a passing game and their QB is pretty bad. He doesn't have the ability to pick us apart like EweT or Miss. St. did. I think they'll need a couple scores off TO's to reach 17. I'm really not too concerned about how much they score, it will be limited. The question is how much we can score. We'll know pretty quickly if their D can stand up to Kinnard and Dotson. Any chance Eli gets back for the bowl game? I really don't see how their DL is going to deal with Kinnard. The mans a monster with a mean streak.

Iowa opened season with a solid 34-6 win over Indiana. An IU team ranked and mentioned as a dark horse to knock off Ohio State. People wrote off Michigan.

2 Pick 6s by CB Riley Moss, who got injured in Iowa’s six win. So, offense had 20 points in IU game.

MLB Jack Campbell scored on a fumble return and a pick 6 at Iowa State and in win over Illinois, respectively.

Iowa returned a KO for TD against Illinois down 10-0.

Special teams and +13 turnover margin on defense have been huge.

Iowa turned ball over and failed to force turnovers in 0-2 games. Iowa was emotionally drained against Purdue. Homecoming Game, and Boilermakers have Iowa’s number historically.

Purdue nearly derailed Iowa’s top two seasons for Hayden Fry (1985) and Kirk Ferentz (2002).

This year, Boilermakers destroyed Iowa. Game was worse than 24-7 score.

Iowa needs to find an offensive line. Major weakness of the team. All-American center. Likely, best center, in past 7-8 years, but rest of unit is young.

Iowa has two freshmen all-Americans on both line units.

The future is bright, but poor OL, inconsistent QB play and weak running game have been largest complaints.

Is the Big Ten better than SEC in 2021?

Massey Ratings would seem to suggest it, but Michigan vs. Georgia game may be better measurement?

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Iowa opened season with a solid 34-6 win over Indiana. An IU team ranked and mentioned as a dark horse to knock off Ohio State. People wrote off Michigan.

2 Pick 6s by CB Riley Moss, who got injured in Iowa’s six win. So, offense had 20 points in IU game.

MLB Jack Campbell scored on a fumble return and a pick 6 at Iowa State and in win over Illinois, respectively.

Iowa turned ball over and failed to force turnovers in 0-2 games. Iowa was emotionally drained against Purdue. Homecoming Game, and Boilermakers have Iowa’s number historically.

Purdue nearly derailed Iowa’s top two seasons for Hayden Fry (1985) and Kirk Ferentz (2002).

Iowa needs to find an offensive line. Major weakness of the team. All-American center. Likely, best center, in past 7-8 years, but rest of unit is young.

The future is bright, but poor OL, inconsistent QB play and weak running game have been largest complaints.

Massey Ratings would seem to suggest it, but Michigan vs. Georgia game may be better measurement?
Wait, before I read more than the first line. Did you just say you had a good win against Indiana?

Wait, before I read more than the first line. Did you just say you had a good win against Indiana?
See what I mean about this cid guy? LOL

Actually, when we opened the season against Indiana they were like #17 ranked in America and we were like #18. We spanked them and thought that was really an impressive win. We then found out how shitty Indiana was as the season progressed :)

Listen, the reality is Iowa's most impressive win this year was against a 3-loss Minnesota team.

The next most impressive wins against a 5-loss Penn State team and maybe even a 5-loss Iowa State team.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Against Purdue, Goodson was averaging 5.7ypc and he ran the ball 12 times.

Iowa was down 14-7 at the half and gave him the ball twice in the second half. Every other play was a pass.

Unreal.

#1, I think Massey may be on crack but I'm never fond of these statistical rankings. There are far too many variables. It's like Pomeroy, he always has some read head scratchers in his rankings. Massey also doesn't have the B1G ahead of the SEC. Colby seems like a solid player. I had to go through several lists before I found Van Ness. He may be very good in time. He better hope he's really quick. I may sound like an ass here but we don't start freshmen on the lines. We no longer need to do that. That may change with Kiyaunta Goodwin next season but he's also a freak.

Against Purdue, Goodson was averaging 5.7ypc and he ran the ball 12 times.

Iowa was down 14-7 at the half and gave him the ball twice in the second half. Every other play was a pass.

Unreal.
Makes you wonder what they're thinking sometimes, huh. Does the coaches son call your plays?

#1, I think Massey may be on crack but I'm never fond of these statistical rankings. There are far too many variables. It's like Pomeroy, he always has some read head scratchers in his rankings. Massey also doesn't have the B1G ahead of the SEC. Colby seems like a solid player. I had to go through several lists before I found Van Ness. He may be very good in time. He better hope he's really quick. I may sound like an ass here but we don't start freshmen on the lines. We no longer need to do that. That may change with Kiyaunta Goodwin next season but he's also a freak.

Iowa typically doesn't either. Connor Colby came in ready in January. Our last starter was a good one.

Lukas Van Ness doesn't start on DT. He is a RS freshman.

This is a young Iowa team. Only 16 seniors, including walk-ons.

I would put IU above UL-Monroe and Vanderbilt 🤔

They were not a good team the moment they left Iowa City.

That is on Tom Allen. There fan base suggested they were ready to compete. They had a good recruiting class for 2022, but it will be interesting to see, if Allen can climb the ladder out of the 0-9.

They did win at WKU to their credit, but talk about a team that benefited from covid-19 in 2020.

Reactions: The-Hack
I would put IU above UL-Monroe and Vanderbilt 🤔

They were not a good team the moment they left Iowa City.

That is on Tom Allen. There fan base suggested they were ready to compete. They had a good recruiting class for 2022, but it will be interesting to see, if Allen can climb the ladder out of the 0-9.

They did win at WKU to their credit, but talk about a team that benefited from covid-19 in 2020.
Above Monroe, sure, above Vandy, debatable. In a suck fest, does the winner really matter?

Iowa does not typically start freshmen OL either. I think Iowa's track record for many years proves our OL are almost always some of the best anywhere. And if you've paid attention, many 1st and 2nd round draft picks among our OL through the last 20 years from Iowa. In fact, arguably the best OT in the NFL this year was a second year player from Iowa in Tristan Wirfs. Linderbaum will be the next sure fire 1st round OL from Iowa.

This year an absolute exception for sure in having such youth and inexperience on the OL for Iowa.

Iowa does not typically start freshmen OL either. I think Iowa's track record for many years proves our OL are almost always some of the best anywhere. And if you've paid attention, many 1st and 2nd round draft picks among our OL through the last 20 years from Iowa. In fact, arguably the best OT in the NFL this year was a second year player from Iowa in Tristan Wirfs. Linderbaum will be the next sure fire 1st round OL from Iowa.

This year an absolute exception for sure in having such youth and inexperience on the OL for Iowa.
Linderbaum seems like a great kid and everyone seems very high on him.

@BigBlueFanGA I hope it is a competitive game.

Both Iowa and Kentucky are trending very well heading into 2022. Both with Top 25 recruiting classes. Both opened 6-0 and played in a marquee game(s) during their 10-3 and 9-3 records, respectively.

Both seeking to win their fourth straight bowl game. That would be impressive win streak for one of these programs. Both programs win more than lose in bowl match ups.

Iowa was a very young team last year. Top 5 youngest. It is a very junior oriented and lead team this season.

Iowa didn't have too many super seniors, like many teams the Hawks in 2021. One of the most important was a place kicker who only handled kickoffs prior to 2021.

It will be interesting to see QB Will Levis, who picked Penn State over Iowa, and WR Wandale Robinson again. I think the Iowa defense is excited about the match up.

Can Iowa pull out a one point or better win like Northwestern did in 2017 season over Kentucky?

Northwestern was the favorite -7.

Iowa's last bowl loss was an ugly 30-3 loss against Florida in 2016 season. Iowa was a +3 dog coming into that match up.

Both teams are 1-0 in Orlando, with Iowa's win against Nick Saban's final LSU team to end 2004 season. Penn State lost as a favorite to end 2018. Not too surprising for a James Franklin team?

Iowa likes to play a field position game. It was really solid in the 6-0 start. Haven't studied the analytics for this match up

In the Purdue loss, first team to score won. Iowa did tie it up at 7-7. Iowa has won multiple games being down two possessions.

In bowl games, that is usually a recipe for a loss. Looking forward to this one.

Linderbaum seems like a great kid and everyone seems very high on him.

His hometown of Solon is a stones throw from the eastside of Iowa City.

He came in and was actually a DT his redshirt freshman season. Ferentz moved him to center during bowl prep.

The next season, 2018, he opened as Iowa's starting center He got his diploma on Saturday in 3-1/2 years.

In my 50 years watching College Football, he is one of the best. Best at Iowa and PFF College has him highest rated center, since 2014.

You have an outstanding all around player on DL at UK.

Reactions: ukalum1988

Lately, there is a trend for some good true freshmen OL in B1G West. Northwestern had a stud LT who opened as a true frosh in 2020 in Peter Skoronski.

Iowa wanted this young man, who will likely be another Round 1 NFL Draftee lately for Northwestern.

Lately, there is a trend for some good true freshmen OL in B1G West. Northwestern had a stud LT who opened as a true frosh in 2020 in Peter Skoronski.

Iowa wanted this young man, who will likely be another Round 1 NFL Draftee lately for Northwestern.

Kinnard graded out over 89 each season he has started on run plays, slightly lower on pass plays. You'll see #22 following right behind him. For the life of me I just can't see anyone on your DL who is gonna be able to handle him.

Kinnard graded out over 89 each season he has started on run plays, slightly lower on pass plays. You'll see #22 following right behind him. For the life of me I just can't see anyone on your DL who is gonna be able to handle him.
Fortunately, this isn't one on one like wrestling.

The move from Nebraska has clearly paid dividends for this young man:

Your team has been trending well, since 2018 and your three straight bowl wins.

It is going to be a real challenge for Iowa to move to four straight. Like Iowa, Kentucky is looking to do it for the first time in program history.

The last time a three bowl game streak came to an end for the Hawkeyes. It was against a Stoops lead team against Iowa. Next Man In.

The move from Nebraska has clearly paid dividends for this young man:

Your team has been trending well, since 2018 and your three straight bowl wins.

It is going to be a real challenge for Iowa to move to four straight. Like Iowa, Kentucky is looking to do it for the first time in program history.

The last time a three bowl game streak came to an end for the Hawkeyes. It was against a Stoops lead team against Iowa. Next Man In.

Damn man. Can you stop with these multiple images in your posts plus your commentary with them. Feels like a book report.

Damn man. Can you stop with these multiple images in your posts plus your commentary with them. Feels like a book report.
I've gotten more used to his style now. We have a few posters on our site who like to be very detailed with everything. Like them I'm gonna assume CID means well.

Reactions: cidsports
Ali being out hurts us a lot. How much does Hankins hurt you guys? I expect your RB situation to hurt you quite a bit but who knows, sometimes the backups shine.

Ali being out hurts us a lot. How much does Hankins hurt you guys? I expect your RB situation to hurt you quite a bit but who knows, sometimes the backups shine.
As I stated before, there are many more positions on Iowa's team that had they lost their #1 they'd be hurt much more than at RB. Iowa will be OK here.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA

Riley Moss is more vital from my vantage point. Against Purdue, without Moss, Matt Hankins had a real bad performance.

Hankins was inconsistent in his fifth season. Injuries could have been a factor.

Iowa has had their top 3 CBs out over the past 7 games. S Jack Koerner missed the Illinois game. He returned, along with Moss to close out season.

CB Terry Roberts is a special teams ace, but he is unknown, since missing the Wisconsin game and the rest this season.

I would suggest injuries have impacted Iowa's consistency, since going 6-0.

• Haha
Riley Moss is more vital from my vantage point. Against Purdue, without Moss, Matt Hankins had a real bad performance.

Hankins was inconsistent in his fifth season. Injuries could have been a factor.

Iowa has had their top 3 CBs out over the past 7 games. S Jack Koerner missed the Illinois game. He returned, along with Moss to close out season.

CB Terry Roberts is a special teams ace, but he is unknown, since missing the Wisconsin game and the rest this season.

I would suggest injuries have impacted Iowa's consistency, since going 6-0.
No, why don't you try the fact our defense wore down a lot as the season progressed because they carried the team on their back because of our terrible offense.

Iowa's defense gave up 26 points a game in the last 7 games. The defense gave up an average of 13 points in the first 6 games-- that's giving up twice as many points.

So your narrative of injuries is letting your good story getting in the way of the facts.

Again, stop with the whiny injury garbage. As a fellow Iowa fan, I find your injury excuses lame and embarrassing. We played Purdue without two of their top players on offense. We played Nebraska without their best player in QB Martinez and best defensive player- the DB. We played Illinois without their HC Bielema-- you conveniently forgot to mention these facts.

Last edited:
I just stated in another thread that the more I read on Mark Stoops' philosophy the more he and Kirk are very similar in that regard-- like amazingly similar. Very little flash but lots of tough substance.

Bob Stoops was a junior starting safety in 1981 in Hayden Fry's third season at Iowa. Kirk Ferentz was hired as Fry's new OL coach as a GA off a highly successful Pitt program. Joe Moore was Ferentz's mentor.

Mike Stoops and Mark Stoops would come into the program, after their high school career ended in Youngstown, Ohio.

Bob Stoops would become a GA in 1983, which was one of the best staffs ever in College Football.

DC Bill Brashier never became a head coach, but he influenced Kirk, Bob and Mark Stoops very much. He was Iowa's DC from 1979 to 1995. Bill Snyder and Barry Alvarez did fantastic jobs revising Kansas State and Wisconsin, respectively.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT