ADVERTISEMENT

2/17 - AP Poll UK #10

Yep called Penn St jumping us . The voters will do everything in their power to give the big 10 more credit then it deserves. Hell it took MSU losing 3 out 4 for them to drop out of the top 20 . But really it doesn't matter . If we win out we are getting seeded between 7-10 overall. I am telling you we are going to be KU's 2 seed in the midwest . Would love to be SDSU's 2 but the committee doesn't love us that much lol.

Reactions: EliteBlue
To be fair they have won like what 9 in a row over good teams. They aren't better then us but like I said big 10 teams get benefit of the doubt .
I’ll be watching them in person when they play at Iowa in a couple of weeks. Interested in checking them out live. Maryland is the class of the Big10, but PSU looks like a legit top 15 team.

Thankfully we're almost for sure past the possibility of a 5-seed.. that's really what we want to avoid.

A 4 isn't ideal, but it does have its perks, playing either Gonzaga or SDSU and avoiding the more traditionally tough teams until the elite8.

Thankfully we're almost for sure past the possibility of a 5-seed.. that's really what we want to avoid.

A 4 isn't ideal, but it does have its perks, playing either Gonzaga or SDSU and avoiding the more traditionally tough teams until the elite8.
yeah despite what that idiot Palm thinks UK would have to really flounder to get a 5 seed at this point. We win out most likely a 2 . But a 3 is fine with me . If you are a 1-3 seed you get much better travel consideration USUALLY compared to a 5 seed.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Penn St's style reminds me of Jay Wright's Nova. They got a bunch of dudes who will shoot (and make it) from all over the floor and from just about every position.

Wait, UL only dropped 6 spots after beatdowns to Ga Tech and Clemson?

That's our average fall if we lose one game at the buzzer. For reference, we dropped 13 spots after losses to Utah and Ohio St.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Just keep winning and we will keep moving up, and probably be a 2 seed.

Sidenote: Penn St. is a good team. They have legit guards, a go to player in Stevens, and a solid big in Watkins who plays defense/rebounds and can score a little, too.

I don’t have a problem with the top ten. While I don’t necessarily agree with Penn State ahead of us, I can see why people voted them there. What I don’t understand is UL being 11th after two back to back terrible losses. They should have fallen to 14 or 15.

I believe there were many losses/bad losses in the top 25 this week. That is one of the reasons that teams don’t move as much as would be expected.

UK at #10 is about right. The Cats need to just keep winning and the ranking will work itself out...starting with the LSU tigers tomorrow night. This team is largely a mercurial team with a small margin of error. To be in the top ten after a relatively mediocre preseason - losses to Evansville and Utah - and later losing to South Carolina, this team is very fortunate to be where they are, imo.

Reactions: bfawns
would a 2 seed guarantee UK the Indy Regionals in the Midwest?

Definitely not. If any teams like UL, Dayton, etc. are also a 2 seed and finish on the seed line ranked above us, they would get preference. The only way to really guarantee your regional site is to be the #1 overall seed.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
UL loses back to back games to teams that were .500 or worse and they drop only 6? Lol. We dropped 5 spots after the buzzer beater loss to South Carolina. What a joke. Idk if it’s because quite a few teams around them lost as well but still bs
We still dropped 5 spots with that loss even though we followed it up witha quad 1 win at Arkansas on that Saturday.. it’s complete BS

Extremely.

I've been saying it.

Win-out (including winning the SEC Tournament) and we're a mortal lock for a 2 seed.

Even if we just drop one game, we could be very much in play for a 2.

Lose any more than one game, and it'd say 3 is our ceiling.

Just curious, how do you figure that out?

They’ve been on a nice winning streak.

Yes they have and their losses are not terrible but they are Rutgers 18-8, Wisconsin 15-10, Minn 12-12, Ohio State 17-8 and Ol'Miss 13-12, and their big wins are Maryland at home in December and Ohio State in late January when they went on a nose dive losing streak. I don't think Mich State, Mich, and IU can be called great wins presently. I can't see where their schedule is any harder then ours, heck the SEC in basketball have been beating themselves up for years but nobody ever said that was a good thing like the Big Ten teams are being talked about. Someone said they had beaten some really good teams like Syracuse (11 losses), Purdue (11 losses) Georgetown (10 losses). There was a day that we didn't think teams with more then 10 losses were that good. :)

Last edited:
Do any stat guys know what the most losses we ever had and still got a high seed and what was that seed/how many losses did we have? I know that won't happen this year but wonder what that was.

Extremely.

I've been saying it.

Win-out (including winning the SEC Tournament) and we're a mortal lock for a 2 seed.

Even if we just drop one game, we could be very much in play for a 2.

Lose any more than one game, and it'd say 3 is our ceiling.

don’t they make the selections before our SEC tournament is even over?

Do any stat guys know what the most losses we ever had and still got a high seed and what was that seed/how many losses did we have? I know that won't happen this year but wonder what that was.

I'm not sure since Cal has been here if a better or unexpected higher ranking has ever happened.

2019 2 seed 6 losses
2018 5 seed 10 losses
2017 2 seed 5 losses
2016 4 seed 8 losses
2015 1 seed 0 losses
2014 8 seed 10 losses
2012 1 seed 1 loss
2011 4 seed 8 losses
2010 1 seed 2 losses

Hope this is right.

I'm not sure since Cal has been here if a better or unexpected higher ranking has ever happened.

2019 2 seed 6 losses
2018 5 seed 10 losses
2017 2 seed 5 losses
2016 4 seed 8 losses
2015 1 seed 0 losses
2014 8 seed 10 losses
2012 1 seed 1 loss
2011 4 seed 8 losses
2010 1 seed 2 losses

Hope this is right.

Thanks. Seems like 26-5 or 25-6 and a couple of wins in the SEC tournament might get us a 2 seed unless the loss is a blowout or at home.

don’t they make the selections before our SEC tournament is even over?

Its been said by the committee especially since Cal has been here that the SEC championship game is never been given any consideration if its two teams that are already going to the tournament, now if its a team not originally going it would change some things with the automatic bid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT