ADVERTISEMENT

1st Four Calls If Cal Leaves/Fired

Otzelburger?

Overall169–97 (.635)
Tournaments4–4 (NCAA Division I)
0–1 (NIT)

Meh.

He's done good with ISU but he's not exactly taking names up there.
Took over an Iowa St team that went 2-22 and he got them into the tournament and made the Sweet 16 his first year as an 11 seed. Last year they made the tournament after dismissing arguably their best player midseason. This year a 2 seed, 6-3 vs the top 10, beat Houston twice including in the Big 12 Champ game. Known as a great recruiter, and he's young and energetic. High level defense, suspect offense, but I'd like to think the offense could be improved with the better players he can bring to UK. Maybe we could even keep Welch on staff? Anyway, I like taking a shot on a young guy with potential like Otzelberger better than some of the dudes in their 60s with moderate career success.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
For my money, Kelvin Sampson is the best coach in CBB. He also seems to have the energy of a guy 15 years younger. Now someone might come up with a multitude of reasons he wouldn't be a good coach for UK. But, as I said, if the question is just who's the best coach to win games, I think it's Sampson.

Personally, I also like Buzz Williams. But I wonder if the best coach for UK isn't someone we haven't even heard of yet. An up and comer who can really motivate and has some good ideas about how to best handle NIL and the transfer portal.
Buzz would do well.

Reactions: G-PIP
Oh my goodnes.....I stumbled acroos a UL Twitter Space call......lord. They curse and scream.....I thought we were unhinged.

They want Will Wade....."throw the bag at him!"

You have no clue if that's true.

Nurse is the only one on that list who makes anything comparable to Cal, so don't act like money won't be a factor for the others.

Bickerstaff doesn't even exceed $3 million a year.
Vogel makes $6 million.
Brown makes $5 million.

UK could double all of those salaries, with Nurse being the exception.

Money matters.
I don’t but I find it extremely hard to see good nba coaches leaving good teams to come to Kentucky

I don’t but I find it extremely hard to see good nba coaches leaving good teams to come to Kentucky
But that's only because it's rare; and it's only rare because schools like Kentucky - that can actually afford an NBA coach - rarely have openings.

Do you actually think the Texases or Purdues or Ohio States of the world are going to invest in an NBA coach and pay that coach $10 million a year? Not a chance.

But at Kentucky, it's different, and Rick Pitino did it. He left the Knicks at the height of the NBA - when the league had Magic and Bird and Jordan and Pitino himself had a 50+ win Knicks team featuring the best big man in the league at the time and Pitino left it all.

And you know why? Because this is Kentucky.

I wish our fans would stop degrading what Kentucky actually is, who we can actually afford, and what we can actually accomplish. We've been "it" before; we've been able to afford "that guy" before; and we've accomplished greatness before.

Embrace that reality.

Reactions: ukfan041
1. Donovan - Probably won’t come back and turn us UK down again but he’s 1st to call. Why not?

2. Wright - Cant hurt to see if he’s interested in coming out of retirement. Who knows?

3. Hurley - Guy has been good everywhere he’s been, but would he leave Storrs for UK? Maybe?

4. Smart - Yeah I know he flopped at Texas, but they don’t care about basketball in Texas. I think he got a raw deal there. I’d call him before Drew from Baylor.

Just my $.02.
You gonna get .02 cents back on this one, none of those guys will ever step foot in Lexington

But that's only because it's rare; and it's only rare because schools like Kentucky - that can actually afford an NBA coach - rarely have openings.

Do you actually think the Texases or Purdues or Ohio States of the world are going to invest in an NBA coach and pay that coach $10 million a year? Not a chance.

But at Kentucky, it's different, and Rick Pitino did it. He left the Knicks at the height of the NBA - when the league had Magic and Bird and Jordan and Pitino himself had a 50+ win Knicks team featuring the best big man in the league at the time and Pitino left it all.

And you know why? Because this is Kentucky.

I wish our fans would stop degrading what Kentucky actually is, who we can actually afford, and what we can actually accomplish. We've been "it" before; we've been able to afford "that guy" before; and we've accomplished greatness before.

Embrace that reality.
Kentucky is big yes, but nba coaches don’t want to recruit and deal with nil. They are happy in the nba

Reactions: Zissou87
He went 52-30 the year before he came to Kentucky.

What are you talking about?
He had 192-220 record as coach in the nba, and 12-22 in his final year he struggled as an nba coach for the most part. NBA coaches aren’t coming to college anymore especially with the transfer portal and NIL

Unrealistic Haymakers:

1- Jay Wright
2- Scott Drew(I think he isn’t leaving this year)
3- Billy D

Realistic but terrible timing:

1- Beard
2- Oats
3- Lloyd

What would probably happen and what Mitch is left with:

1- Shaka Smart
2- Bruce Pearl
3- Musselman
IMO we should stay away from Musselman. He is at a very good basketball school now that has deep pockets and is failing badly there with team turmoil to go with it. So no thanks next. Personally, I would look at coaches who have done more with less. If they can do that then they should be able to knock it out of the park at UK. Now who that is I have no idea. I don't follow other teams that closely because I simply don't care about them. That is why they need a committee made up of very basketball smart people and maybe even some former players to do the research and come up with a realistic list.

Reactions: G-PIP
Musselman? Beard? Bryce drew who didn’t win a conference game one season at vandy? What is wrong with our fans? Have more faith in your all time winningest and potential gold standard in the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT