ADVERTISEMENT

13 pts. At Home. After a Bye. Against Vandy.

I can understand having some years here and there where the offense struggles. But it's the norm here. And it doesn't matter who the OC is.
We were better playing run heavy, option, smash out football. It fits the overall theoretical strategy of stoops. Ever since he’s tried to become a mini NFL balanced team…we’ve been inconsistent at best and underperforming trash at worst

We were better playing run heavy, option, smash out football. It fits the overall theoretical strategy of stoops. Ever since he’s tried to become a mini NFL balanced team…we’ve been inconsistent at best and underperforming trash at worst
The idea of wanting to open up the passing game isn't a problem in and of itself. I think we should do that. The problem lies in the fact that he's shown he's not capable of doing it, at least not at a high enough and consistent enough level. So yeah, he's better off sticking to the run heavy offense. There's been so many situations this year where we would have been smart to run the ball instead of trying to air it out. Stoops to me just doesn't have a good feel for the game, or even his own team. He consistently makes poor decisions that costs us games.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
It sucks to have to ask this because I definitely got pumped for those 10 win seasons, but honest question. Were we ever really that consistently good with the run heavy scheme, or did we just catch lightning in a bottle with a couple of all-time players for our program coinciding with favorable schedules? Those 2018 and 2021 seasons are literally the only two times Stoops has gone over .500 in SEC play, and with the benefit of hindsight, we didn’t really beat many teams who were anything to write home about, with Florida and Penn State in 2018 and Iowa in 2021 being our only wins over teams who finished the year in the top 25.

It’s also not like we’ve truly changed our philosophy that drastically. The run/pass ratio may be a little different in the stat book, but we’re still running a slow, conservative offense that tries to shorten games for the defense more than it tries to aggressively outscore anyone. In short, I don’t think tweaking the offense to try to at least theoretically be capable of a forward pass is our problem so much as this is who Stoops has always been and some of the other mid-bottom tier teams in the league managed to catch back up to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT