ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Overall recruit in the class of 2024, Cooper Flagg, schedules three official visits.

Flagg was 8 when Duke won a title last...just saying.

Doesn't seem like UK ever had a chance with this kid.
Yep we may as well not even keep up with him. I don’t think we have even an outside chance with him. Never do well with those elite white east coast kids. Not that there are many of them in the first place but even the ones in the let’s say top 25. Herro, Sheppard are probably both the closest and they are fringe top 25 depending on who ranked them and they are closer to Midwest kids.

Well that's a different topic all together, even if it's a good topic worth having. Im still not too positive that Cal can turn this roster into a Final4 team. But we can't really knock his recruiting for this year and some of the last minute adds he pulled off. It's been a pretty nice rebuild.
How much credit should Cal be getting for today's recruiting wins? Look what he did when Orlando wasn't on his staff and compare it to the years he was/is on staff.

Orlando and Chin appear to be doing the real recruiting.

It's always been Duke so I'm surprised the others are trying.I'm glad Cal isn't wasting time.
Yeah, but that doesn't explain why Cal is going hard after the Boozer twins. To me, they are more of a duke lock than Flagg is.

Out of curiosity, I had to look and see how many there actually were over the past 15 years that went to college:

2023 - 0
2022 - Kyle Filipowski - Duke
2021 - Chet Holmgreb - Gonzaga
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0
2011 - 0
2010 - Enes Kanter - Kentucky
2009 - 0
2008 - BJ Mullens - Ohio State

So, we have signed 25% of them
Big Enis is Turkish. Definitely not a white dude.

Reactions: TFCats11
How much credit should Cal be getting for today's recruiting wins? Look what he did when Orlando wasn't on his staff and compare it to the years he was/is on staff.

Orlando and Chin appear to be doing the real recruiting.

I mean I think he can 100% claim DJ :)

Reactions: kyjeff1
Maybe? Most of these kids don't really care about that now, it's kind of like "Yeah, that would be nice to have as well." Most are looking for the best fit and the best chance to go pro. Sure you get the handful like Oscar that want to win a title, but most couldn't care less I feel.
They care more about NIL money/deals than anything else now.

Why? This program is all about recruiting classes and NBA draft picks, so why would fans of this program not care about recruiting???

It’s been said on here a million times, in order for Cal to win, he has to have the best players, is Cooper Flagg not one of the best players?

Why? This program is all about recruiting classes and NBA draft picks, so why would fans of this program not care about recruiting???

It’s been said on here a million times, in order for Cal to win, he has to have the best players, is Cooper Flagg not one of the best players?
Yup, definitely weird. Why not comment on the other top players not interested in us? You already answered that though.

Couldn’t get it done (twice) with the returning NPOY, so not sure what this chart has to do with anything? Another year of “we’ve got no excuses now.” The burden isn’t on me (or any recruit) to be impressed. It’s Cal’s job to show what he can do with those rankings to grab the attention of the future Cooper Flagg’s by bucking our recent trend and proving we’re not irrelevant. If you want the attention of the Cooper Flagg’s - go get it! But let’s not act like we deserve his attention.

Nobody out there is scared of this roster. . . at least not yet. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Lol good one

Out of curiosity, I had to look and see how many there actually were over the past 15 years that went to college:

2023 - 0
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0
2011 - 0
2009 - 0

So, we have signed 25% of them
It is a stretch to classify Enes as 'white'

It is a stretch to classify Enes as 'white'
I was just running through the list real quick and included him. I have zero issues removing him. Just means there were 3 top 10 white guys. Got no problem with that. I was just showing the poster complaining about us not signing any top 10 white guys that there are very few (even fewer than the list I provided) to begin with so it’s no shocker we didn’t sign any.

Big Enis is Turkish. Definitely not a white dude.
Agree. I was just going through quickly and throwing guys on there who weren’t black. Remove him from the list means 3 guys in 15 years. Point stands that I was replying to the poster who said we were missing out on all the top 10 white guys when there were only 3 to begin with

Yeah, but they have been the darlings for a long time. Landing Zion and getting to the FF 2 years ago is whst is keeping them so hot with recruits.
Plus, that whole "Brotherhood" thing they have going on is a great sales tactic for todays kids.
I don’t know why, they literally copied what we started. Dukies are closer to husbands than just brothers, being that they are all gay.

Last edited:

2023 - 0
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0
2011 - 0
2010 - Enes Kanter (Turkish) - Kentucky
2009 - 0

So, we have signed 25% of them if you count Enes or we have missed out on a total of 3 guys if you don’t.
There were several right before that 15 year mark (Kevin Love, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts, Chase Budinger, Kyle Singler, etc.), but your point remains quite valid: top 10 ranked white recruits are a rare thing indeed.

And even none of those were regarded as highly as Flagg. Unless you wanna go back 55 years to the HS days of Bill Walton, I don't think there's ever been a white American prospect rated as highly as Flagg at the same age.

It'll be interesting to see if he can live up to the hype.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
Yup, definitely weird. Why not comment on the other top players not interested in us? You already answered that though.
Because this thread isn’t about the other top players. Read the thread topic bud.

Not only that, but Flagg looks to be at least a transcendent player, but in a UK uniform, he could end up being a generational talent.

Oh, I guess you missed my post where I asked why Cal was still recruiting the Boozer twins?

Were any of the Plumlee's top 10? Maybe Mason?
Yeah, ESPN had him 10th …so I guess you can add him to the list.

If you look through past lists, you’ll see a lot of white guys make it into that 11 through 30th ranked territory. But very very few break through into the top 10.

There were several right before that 15 year mark (Kevin Love, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts, Chase Budinger, Kyle Singler, etc.), but your point remains quite valid: top 10 ranked white recruits are a rare thing indeed.

And even none of those were regarded as highly as Flagg. Unless you wanna go back 55 years to the HS days of Bill Walton, I don't think there's ever been a white American prospect rated as highly as Flagg at the same age.

Holmgren is definitely in this camp

Chet was really hyped coming out of HS. Not as highly as Flagg, but still a big time prospect

Yeah, ESPN had him 10th …so I guess you can add him to the list.

If you look through past lists, you’ll see a lot of white guys make it into that 11 through 30th ranked territory. But very very few break through into the top 10.
The bottom line is, there just haven't been very many and the ones that Cal had a good shot at, he got.

This seems like a big nothing burger, I don't care if these kids are white, black, yellow or grey, if they can play, that’s all that matters.

But damn, I would love to see a kid with Flagg's game at UK.

The bottom line is, there just haven't been very many and the ones that Cal had a good shot at, he got.

This seems like a big nothing burger, I don't care if these kids are white, black, yellow or grey, if they can play, that’s all that matters.

But damn, I would love to see a kid with Flagg's game at UK.
He's their DJ. He's been a Duke lock since the day he was born. Maybe we will luck out and he will just go pro.

When is the last time UK was able to land a top 10 ten 5 star white player?
I think the easy answer to this is Tyler Herro. I know the recruiting services didn’t have him as a top 10 player. I believe our coaching staff and most other coaching staffs in the country new the kind of player Herro really was. I believe even Zion came out when the season started and said something about how underrated Herro was. Once the season started, I think it was understood that he was definitely a top 10 player possibly even top five in that class.

herro.jpg

Tyler Herro is white??????

Reactions: crashtestdummy

2023 - 0
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0
2011 - 0
2010 - Enes Kanter (Turkish) - Kentucky
2009 - 0

So, we have signed 25% of them if you count Enes or we have missed out on a total of 3 guys if you don’t.
I was curious about this list... I found a few more... might be what list considers who to be in the TOP 10:
2023 - 0
2020 - 0
2019 - Nico Mannion - Arizona
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - Henry Ellenson - Marquette
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona
2011 - Cody Zeller - Indiana
2009 - 0

I was curious about this list... I found a few more... might be what list considers who to be in the TOP 10:
2023 - 0
2020 - 0
2019 - Nico Mannion - Arizona
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - Henry Ellenson - Marquette
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - Kaleb Tarczewski - Arizona
2011 - Cody Zeller - Indiana
2009 - 0
I was going by Rivals. In Rivals rankings:

2011 - Cody Zeller was #15
2012 - Kaleb Tarczewski - missed him. He's #9. Good catch. I actually missed Steven Adams that year too (#5)
2015 - Henry Ellenson was #11

Reactions: LTDukeFan
I was going by Rivals. In Rivals rankings:

2011 - Cody Zeller was #15
2012 - Kaleb Tarczewski - missed him. He's #9. Good catch. I actually missed Steven Adams that year too (#5)
2015 - Henry Ellenson was #11
Yeah... I was using 247. I was going to list Steve Adams, but then I read that his mom was Togan -- he's from New Zealand.

Because this thread isn’t about the other top players. Read the thread topic bud.

Not only that, but Flagg looks to be at least a transcendent player, but in a UK uniform, he could end up being a generational talent.

Oh, I guess you missed my post where I asked why Cal was still recruiting the Boozer twins?
Clearly, the point was made that he is white. Weird you're doubling down.

Yep we may as well not even keep up with him. I don’t think we have even an outside chance with him. Never do well with those elite white east coast kids. Not that there are many of them in the first place but even the ones in the let’s say top 25. Herro, Sheppard are probably both the closest and they are fringe top 25 depending on who ranked them and they are closer to Midwest kids.
How is Sheppard a ''midwest kid'' ?

When is the last time UK was able to land a top 10 ten 5 star white player?
What difference does a player's skin color make? Hell, he could be green a far as I care if he can help us win another championship.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT