ADVERTISEMENT

#1 Overall recruit in the class of 2024, Cooper Flagg, schedules three official visits.

The funny thing about that comment too is that Ivisic and Sheppard are a part of this years' class. Joey Hart as well.

"God, why can't we ever seem to land a top 10 white guy, who plays internationally, whose first name starts with a "J", ends with a "X", and whose last name contains 4 syllables. Until Cal can start landing these guys again, I'm skeptical"

Not surprised he has no interest in UK. With our recent records I’m surprised anyone does. Were lucky to get who we get anymore, forget top echelon players.

lolololol

1Isaiah Collier
Video | Scouts Report
PGMarietta, GA
Wheeler High School
6'4''205
USC
Signed
2Ron Holland
Video | Scouts Report
PFDuncanville, TX
Duncanville High School
6'8''200
94List
3Justin Edwards
Video | Scouts Report
SFPhiladelphia, PA
Imhotep Institute Charter High School
6'7''190
Kentucky
Signed
4D.J. Wagner
Video | Scouts Report
PGCamden, NJ
Camden High School
6'2''175
Kentucky
Signed
5Matas Buzelis
Video | Scouts Report
SFHinsdale, IL
Sunrise Christian Academy
6'9''195
93List
6Aaron Bradshaw
Video | Scouts Report
CCamden, NJ
Camden High School
7'0''215
Kentucky
Signed

lolololol

1Isaiah Collier
Video | Scouts Report
PGMarietta, GA
Wheeler High School
6'4''205
USC
Signed
2Ron Holland
Video | Scouts Report
PFDuncanville, TX
Duncanville High School
6'8''200
94List
3Justin Edwards
Video | Scouts Report
SFPhiladelphia, PA
Imhotep Institute Charter High School
6'7''190
Kentucky
Signed
4D.J. Wagner
Video | Scouts Report
PGCamden, NJ
Camden High School
6'2''175
Kentucky
Signed
5Matas Buzelis
Video | Scouts Report
SFHinsdale, IL
Sunrise Christian Academy
6'9''195
93List
6Aaron Bradshaw
Video | Scouts Report
CCamden, NJ
Camden High School
7'0''215
Kentucky
Signed
Couldn’t get it done (twice) with the returning NPOY, so not sure what this chart has to do with anything? Another year of “we’ve got no excuses now.” The burden isn’t on me (or any recruit) to be impressed. It’s Cal’s job to show what he can do with those rankings to grab the attention of the future Cooper Flagg’s by bucking our recent trend and proving we’re not irrelevant. If you want the attention of the Cooper Flagg’s - go get it! But let’s not act like we deserve his attention.

Nobody out there is scared of this roster. . . at least not yet. Don’t shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
When is the last time UK was able to land a top 10 ten 5 star white player?
I don't think we ever have in the age of numerical rankings. The number ranking system really didn't become an accepted thing until around sometime in the 90s.

Although I'm guessing Rex would've been top 10 if they'd done it that way back then ...so him.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Couldn’t get it done (twice) with the returning NPOY, so not sure what this chart has to do with anything? Another year of “we’ve got no excuses now.” The burden isn’t on me (or any recruit) to be impressed. It’s Cal’s job to show what he can do with those rankings to grab the attention of the future Cooper Flagg’s by bucking our recent trend and proving we’re not irrelevant. If you want the attention of the Cooper Flagg’s - go get it!

Nobody out there is scared of this roster. . . at least not yet. Don’t shoot the messenger.

The chart, quite specifically, debunks your comments about how we can't get top echelon players anymore.

I even put it in bold text.

The chart, quite specifically, debunks your comments about how we can't get top echelon players anymore.

I even put it in bold text.
Ah. Then kindly disregard my opinion. On another note; I recently read we’re picked 4th in the SEC. I’m struggling to remember any of the players names and their rankings on the 3 teams above us. . . But then again my mind isn’t what it used to be.

Ah. Then kindly disregard my opinion. On another note; I recently read we’re picked 4th in the SEC. Trying to remember any of the names and their rankings on the 3 teams above us. . .

Well that's a different topic all together, even if it's a good topic worth having. Im still not too positive that Cal can turn this roster into a Final4 team. But we can't really knock his recruiting for this year and some of the last minute adds he pulled off. It's been a pretty nice rebuild.

Well that's a different topic all together, even if it's a good topic worth having. Im still not too positive that Cal can turn this roster into a Final4 team. But we can't really knock his recruiting for this year and some of the last minute adds he pulled off. It's been a pretty nice rebuild.
I’ve got to hand it to you - You broke me out of my irritable mood [jumpingsmile]. Dang your courteousness! My opinion is just through frustration. I want the Cooper Flaggs and am cautiously excited about this year’s roster, but I have been the last few seasons too. I want us to be feared again, and to have these kids’ attention like we used to. This team could regain that, but I’m scarred. Flagg is special for sure, and I’ll enjoying keeping up with him wherever he picks. Tough miss, but we need to earn their interest again.

Last edited:
So, recent title winners. Can't argue with that. Thanks, Cal.
I can't blame Cal on this one. Just like DJ was a Cat from birth. This kid is been a Dukie since birth.

His relatives were Duke founders or board members or something with deep ties. I can't remember where I read it. But it has been a pretty solid lock for awhile.

We never had a shot. And neither do UConn or KU.

Last edited:
Couldn’t get it done (twice) with the returning NPOY, so not sure what this chart has to do with anything? Another year of “we’ve got no excuses now.” The burden isn’t on me (or any recruit) to be impressed. It’s Cal’s job to show what he can do with those rankings to grab the attention of the future Cooper Flagg’s by bucking our recent trend and proving we’re not irrelevant. If you want the attention of the Cooper Flagg’s - go get it! But let’s not act like we deserve his attention.

Wat?

I'm not going to say Cal's been great....he hasn't. But let's not act like we didn't just get an amazing class.

Come on.

Everyone getting their undies in a was over a kid that had no shot of coming here that has NOTHING to do with UK.

Reactions: KARLITO12
Wat?

I'm not going to say Cal's been great....he hasn't. But let's not act like we didn't just get an amazing class.

Come on.

Everyone getting their undies in a was over a kid that had no shot of coming here that has NOTHING to do with UK.
See post 19.

I’ve got to hand it to you - You broke me out of my irritable mood [jumpingsmile]. Dang your courteousness! My opinion is just through frustration. I want the Cooper Flaggs and am cautiously excited about this year’s roster, but I have been the last few seasons too. I want us to be feared again, and to have these kids’ attention like we used to. This team could regain that, but I’m scarred. Flagg is special for sure, and I’ll enjoying keeping up with him wherever he picks. Tough miss, but we need to earn their interest again.
I was about to rant on you but then I saw you changed your tone, which NOBODY does on the internet. It’s easy to get frustrated and rant and even easier to dig in when someone disagrees. 👍

I don't think we ever have in the age of numerical rankings. The number ranking system really didn't become an accepted thing until around sometime in the 90s.

Although I'm guessing Rex would've been top 10 if they'd done it that way back then ...so him.
rex was ranked #2 behind jr reid 'way back then'

rex was ranked #2 behind jr reid 'way back then'
Well, there were no nationally accepted lead sources back then the way there are now with the Rivals and ESPN lists. Each little independent recruiting rag had its own opinions and they varied wildly from one to another back in those days (I think Street & Smith might've been the most respected).

As I recall that 86 class, the three most hyped national recruits that year were JR Reid, Terry Mills and Derrick Coleman. But, yeah, Rex was probably about next after those three.

Reactions: wildcat_bigd
They're all recent compared to ours. If he ever thought about UK, rest assured that came across his mind.
Maybe? Most of these kids don't really care about that now, it's kind of like "Yeah, that would be nice to have as well." Most are looking for the best fit and the best chance to go pro. Sure you get the handful like Oscar that want to win a title, but most couldn't care less I feel.

Reactions: Fox2monk
This one is a Duke lock and don't think it'll go down to a bidding war like Flory Bidunga did, completely different family situation.

When is the last time UK was able to land a top 10 ten 5 star white player?
Out of curiosity, I had to look and see how many there actually were over the past 15 years that went to college:

2023 - 0
2022 - Kyle Filipowski - Duke
2021 - Chet Holmgreb - Gonzaga
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0
2011 - 0
2010 - Enes Kanter (Turkish) - Kentucky
2009 - 0
2008 - BJ Mullens - Ohio State

So, we have signed 25% of them if you count Enes or we have missed out on a total of 3 guys if you don’t.

Last edited:
Style of play is a major factor.. Cal better show that UK can play fast, small, and let it fly from 3 point range. Can’t play a plow horse style and expect top talent to knock down our doors.. this year is the first in a long time that we have talent that resembles 2010-2015..hoping he can right the ship and get the fanbase and recruits excited about UK again.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Out of curiosity, I had to look and see how many there actually were over the past 15 years that went to college:

2023 - 0
2022 - Kyle Filipowski - Duke
2021 - Chet Holmgreb - Gonzaga
2020 - 0
2019 - 0
2018 - 0
2017 - 0
2016 - 0
2015 - 0
2014 - 0
2013 - 0
2012 - 0