ADVERTISEMENT

“I Hate To Say It . . . “

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
but UK isn’t the job it once was, and John Calipari has directly contributed to that. They have 1 championship since 1998. UConn has 6. Their facilities aren’t as good as UConn’s, etc. people just aren’t as enamored as they once were with UK.”

- Stephen A. Smith

It’s a meaningless take but do you agree or disagree with him?

Last edited:
Jonah Hill Ok GIF

but UK isn’t the job it once was, and Tubby Smith has directly contributed to that. They have 1 championship since 1996. Duke has 3. Their facilities aren’t as good as duke's, etc. people just aren’t as enamored as they once were with UK.”

but UK isn’t the job it once was, and John Calipari has directly contributed to that. They have 1 championship since 1996. UConn has 6. Their facilities aren’t as good as UConn’s, etc. people just aren’t as enamored as they once were with UK.”

- Stephen A. Smith

Smith is also the guy who today was praising Quentin grimes play for the Knicks, when grimes hasn’t played for the Knicks since the trade deadline and is on the pistons

Kentucky and Oakland was the most watched game of the season up until that point. They weren’t watching for Oakland.

We sell out every arena, home and away.

We are the biggest brand.

We have the most money we’re willing to put towards our basketball program.

We still hold the all time wins record.

We have five coaches who’ve won national championships.

We demand excellence.

Our open coaching position is bigger than the biggest game of the year.

Give me a break Stephen A.

It could have been written in 1995 that "they've only had one championship since 1958" (37 years). Wouldn't have meant any more then than it does now.
Then they ripped off 3 titles in 25 years. All it takes is the right hire.

The fact that betting Odds makers are putting Richard Pitino as a potential 3rd betting choice for being the next coach should tell you UK isn't the highly regarded destination it once was.

We have already been turned down by Wright and Oats. It sounds like Donovan wouldn't be overly interested. Hurley insinuated he would turn us down last night. Cronin pretty much insinuated he wouldn't even be interested, and he's awful!

I would say if Drew starts reading how let down the fans are that he is being considered, he will hopefully be uninterested.

I get some of you all only see the world through blue tinted glasses, but the reality is UK isn't the draw it used to be.

This is simply a stupid take. ESPN makes a ton of money off of UK (and KU, Duke, UNC)... how or why anyone thinks ESPN wants UK to fail is amazing to me. Just an ignorant take
ESPN is full of ACC grads. Most from UNC or Duke. But ok, man.

Reactions: EliteBlue
This is simply a stupid take. ESPN makes a ton of money off of UK (and KU, Duke, UNC)... how or why anyone thinks ESPN wants UK to fail is amazing to me. Just an ignorant take
You’re either a moron or 12 if you think they treat and talk about Kentucky, and especially the fans, in a positive manner.

I agree with what he said at least to some degree. That's what I've been afraid of and saying for many years now. That Cal is destroying the prestige, reputation and traditions of the program. It's not just about Final Fours and championships (although he's not been doing well with those either), but he's doing real damage that's difficult to recover from. And now you see that perception reflected in the national media.

Reactions: catzcan and K86
The fact that betting Odds makers are putting Richard Pitino as a potential 3rd betting choice for being the next coach should tell you UK isn't the highly regarded destination it once was.

We have already been turned down by Wright and Oats. It sounds like Donovan wouldn't be overly interested. Hurley insinuated he would turn us down last night. Cronin pretty much insinuated he wouldn't even be interested, and he's awful!

I would say if Drew starts reading how let down the fans are that he is being considered, he will hopefully be uninterested.

I get some of you all only see the world through blue tinted glasses, but the reality is UK isn't the draw it used to be.
You aren't a UK fan but thanks for playing

• Haha
Reactions: BluesDaddy
I agree with what he said at least to some degree. That's what I've been afraid of and saying for many years now. That Cal is destroying the prestige, reputation and traditions of the program. It's not just about Final Fours and championships (although he's not been doing well with those either), but he's doing real damage that's difficult to recover from. And now you see that perception reflected in the national media.
Tubby (after his Pitino-aided title) didn't have a lot of success but he did a lot less damage to the brand than Cal has the last few years.

Reactions: K86
When they announce game times and networks for the first round of the NCAA tournament after the selection shows, note who are the programs who are tipping in the early evening primetime windows (7:10pm) on CBS on Thursday and Friday.

Its almost exclusively Kentucky and Duke.

Don't tell me the job or program overall has lost its luster.

Reactions: catzcan
I would care more about this is Stephen A had ever, even once in his life, said anything that was relevant, honest, intelligent, or even vague correct.

Reactions: KT34
but UK isn’t the job it once was, and John Calipari has directly contributed to that. They have 1 championship since 1998. UConn has 6. Their facilities aren’t as good as UConn’s, etc. people just aren’t as enamored as they once were with UK.”

- Stephen A. Smith

He is correct but they aren’t that far ahead of us relatively speaking and yes he is correct cal is to blame. 2 of their titles should have been ours if not for Cal’s piss poor coaching (when it matters). They would should have 4 since 1999 and we should have 4 since 1998. Even just winning the 2014 title which was a collassal choke job by cal it would be 5 and 3.

It’s human nature to take joy in an elite program/team falling from their top status
I believe we are in a precarious situation right now. Kentucky is in no way immune to a downfall, no more so than was Indiana or UCLA.

The media trips over each other trying to rush to the presses with this take every single time the job opens up. And yet here we are, still UK, still looking to make someone the highest paid coach in the country and about to come roaring back. Get your shots in now, we’ll be back before they see it coming.

Tubby (after his Pitino-aided title) didn't have a lot of success but he did a lot less damage to the brand than Cal has the last few years.
That is simply not true. When tubby left, we couldnt get a sniff of top recruits. The program was in much worse shape.

- Stephen A. Smith

Don't totally disagree, but what a load of crap. Anyone believe Stephen "A" Smith really "hated" to "say it"? ...pretentious prick.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
It's still a great job, just probably not good enough to pull someone away who's already super successful and getting paid really well where they are. It's also not the job for everyone. It gives you everything you need to succeed, but also expects you to do so. Not everyone wants or needs that pressure.

This. I agree with many of the points being made on this thread but the reality seems to be - at least today - there aren't many high profile coaches willing to "crawl to Lexington" as once was the case. Never really buy the facility argument - it's not like UK facilities are like the local YMCA.
And not to start a war, the reason many coaches are not interested in this job is the fan base IMO - fair or unfair. Social media and message boards have changed the dynamic the last 20 years - especially the last 10.

Kentucky is still the same job it always was. It’s still the pinnacle of college basketball.

We’ve just severely underachieved and should have fired cal in 2017 but too many feelings would have gotten hurt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT