ADVERTISEMENT

“I got to hire my son”

So Pope is a coach so he's lying. By those standards you can win any debate. He said ..well he's lying Does Coach Pope lie. Is every word out of a coach's mouth a lie? I'm just saying, of I don't want to take responsibility, I'm not saying BLAME ME Jesus H Christ, I don't get your logic
I said college coaches always tell the truth. Does pope lie, sure. But if you can’t see he’s on another wavelength than Calipari not much to say. Calipari saying blame me then clearly and obviously cannot take nor handle the criticism I mean come on. If you after all these years believe Calipari is fine with being criticized? lol That’s just stupid. The guy is clearly and extremely thin skinned. No he doesn’t actually mean he wants to be blamed, he just wanted to sound above it all for the recruits. Calipari is a narcissist and they by nature cannot take criticism.

Cal so bad. He's like a splash of battery acid in my eyes. Can somebody get a me a ride to Walmart to get more battery acid? I can't see so good.

That's not a criticism I have of Cal, later on he threw a kid under the bus here and there but got the most part he said" Don't blame these kids, blame me" How much more responsibile can you get
The rub is no one was ever blaming the kids, they were always blaming him. Saying “blame me” isnt taking responsibility unless it’s backed up with things outlining why.

That's not a criticism I have of Cal, later on he threw a kid under the bus here and there but got the most part he said" Don't blame these kids, blame me" How much more responsibile can you get
the funny part is the moment he found out that people actually did blame him, he was crushed and left to go coach at one of our rivals.

He never really believed that whole don't be mad at them, be mad at me, because he honestly believed no one would ever be mad at him

You think 65 is old, tired and worn out? Coach K says hold my beer. That's a young whippersnapper in Congress, they almost have as much pressure
It’s nothing to do with chronological age, it’s the mileage. Cal has been at the top of his game compensation-wise for a long time. He is not a coach that’s going to stay up late looking at film.

Reactions: crestcat
the funny part is the moment he found out that people actually did blame him, he was crushed and left to go coach at one of our rivals.

He never really believed that whole don't be mad at them, be mad at me, because he honestly believed no one would ever be mad at him

It’s interesting because a lot of people who cover college basketball for a living, and know him, seem to believe that Calipari had no idea how hot the seat had gotten. As you said they believe he was amazed when he realized how bad it had was. It really can only mean that after cutting off some of the boosters and his boss, there was no one around him to tell him the truth. It’s amazing to me how your ego can swell so much that you don’t understand a place like Kentucky didn’t like nor put up with first round exists and historical losses. But it appears he really didn’t know how bad it was.

And like you said, the second the shit storm appeared to him he was gone. Thats some wild psychology.

Im bankin that Calipari to this day is shocked he was out maneuvered without knowing it was happening and ended up at Arkansas. There’s no way he ever thought this could happen to his majesty.

Last edited:
It’s nothing to do with chronological age, it’s the mileage. Cal has been at the top of his game compensation-wise for a long time. He is not a coach that’s going to stay up late looking at film.

It can be true for some of the highest paid with age, but guys like coach K, Roy, Knight, Rupp, whoever have assistants who know what the coach wants and plan accordingly. They take care of the film and of course, the PLAYERS WATCH it and are coached for it. Calipari had guys like Bruiser Flint and Payne, or total idiots like Chin. Calipari was milking UK for checks and they didn’t work. He’s a con man that’s in this for money not basketball success. I said many times over he was a business marketing major and he decided to get into coaching to market himself it had little to do with basketball. He was okay early on when he needed to succeed but the second he got the best contract his job was done. And we stayed with him 5 years too long minimum.

The rub is no one was ever blaming the kids, they were always blaming him. Saying “blame me” isnt taking responsibility unless it’s backed up with things outlining why.
Actually, tons of people have blamed players over Cal's time here. Wheeler was one of the big scapegoats who took a ton of undeserved wrath from so-called "fans".

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Actually, tons of people have blamed players over Cal's time here. Wheeler was one of the big scapegoats who took a ton of undeserved wrath from so-called "fans".

Uh, Wheeler was given way more rope than he deserved and was not a Kentucky caliber point guard. After getting undeserved minutes and position, he then quit the team when he would have to contribute the way the team needed. To do this he lied about an injury and sulked on the bench.

Wheeler deserves criticism and a good bit of it. These guys are paid professionals so I have no sympathy. The second he decided to quit the team because he thought he was better than he is and because he wouldn’t be starting - at that point I don’t care what came his way.

It’s Calipari’s fault from the beginning for even offering the guy a scholarship. That’s when I knew Calipari was pretty much just quitting on the job. He was a Georgia level point guard who had no business at UK. So there was slinging going all around from everyone involved including wheeler and for good reason.

Uh, Wheeler was given way more rope than he deserved and was not a Kentucky caliber point guard. After getting undeserved minutes and position, he then quit the team when he would have to contribute the way the team needed. To do this he lied about an injury and sulked on the bench.

Wheeler deserves criticism and a good bit of it. These guys are paid professionals so I have no sympathy. The second he decided to quit the team because he thought he was better than he is and because he wouldn’t be starting - at that point I don’t care what came his way.

It’s Calipari’s fault from the beginning for even offering the guy a scholarship. That’s when I knew Calipari was pretty much just quitting on the job. He was a Georgia level point guard who had no business at UK. So there was slinging going all around from everyone involved including wheeler and for good reason.
Give it 5 years. People will start saying ''Wheeler was underrated''. ''He was sneaky good''.

Reactions: Killswitch24

Exhibit A right here of my counterpoint that "no one was ever blaming the players" :)

Wheeler allegedly quit (nobody really knows, though) AFTER the "fans" started booing him at Rupp when he would check into games. But I guess nobody ever blamed the players, though.

The fact is, any struggles he was having were directly related to Cal's lack of coaching. But the fans just piled on and piled on.

Anyway, I was refuting someone saying that nobody ever blamed the players and you just proved I was correct.

Eh I have to disagree. there was plenty of bashing players on here for things Cal could have easily fixed as the coach of the team. I.E. last season Shep and Z were bashed for not playing defense when it was obvious Cal did not give a shit about teaching this team defense. Didn’t give a shit about teaching them anything, Welch is the one who should be credited with the huge leap of improvement from 23 to 24. Cal was too busy sneeking out of town looking for new jobs in Columbus .

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildcatjedi

Cal with Dan patrick,

He knew that wouldnt fly here. Hes trying to mend ties with uk you can tell. I wont miss his buzz words or “generational wealth” speeches.
Lmfao ! Yeah he got to hire his son , and I’m sure Ellen really wanted that ……….but it certainly didn’t go as planned LOL ! THANK YOU MITCH !

He’s so full of shit. Like he didn’t understand the transfer portal before talking to Sampson? He knew his ass was grass and he started looking in February which Is why we never hit our ceiling. He gave up on the best team we had in years because he didn’t feel like teaching defense.
Yeah he's a piece of work. And you can see Dan knows it too and isnt buying any of it. But just like everybody else who's known him for years the just shake their heads inside and smile at him because they cant help but like him but know that he's always talking out his tail. and they kind of enjoy watching him go through the mental gymnastics of it all trying to spin things.

If he was an auto mechanic he could tell you why he had to end up changin the transmission when you just came in to have your tire pressure checked and you'd say well that sucks but thanks for taking care of it - see ya next time!!!

I have . I made a mistake that cost the company I worked for a little over 2 million dollars. No one knew who did it and there was no way to find out , but I immediately admitted it was me .

Today simply feeling negatively for the action, without accountability, is something that’s rare.

I take full responsibility for knowing I should take responsibility even though I don’t. As an 80’s baby, that’s the requirement. Kids born after 2000, simply realizing you did something wrong without accountability is the standard. Kids born today, screaming and not assaulting over something you did wrong is nice. The guy in Illinois is having his jersey retired for beating rape charges.

Everything is fine. What we need is more NIL to kids and the problems will be fixed.

Cal made the statement of don’t blame the kids, blame me last year. Don’t recall anyone blaming any of the kids from last year other than perhaps Edwards indirectly due to cal playing him more than he should have.

Cal made the statement of don’t blame the kids, blame me last year. Don’t recall anyone blaming any of the kids from last year other than perhaps Edwards indirectly due to cal playing him more than he should have.

I see what he’s saying I just think it’s irrelevant and really not even accurate in that context. These are professional players college sports are a professional league. No longer does an adult player get to have adult money, free adult education, free adult living expenses, adult perks, (hell many of them commit adult crimes and break adult laws ) but, still be seen as an innocent kid who is above criticism nah sorry. Some of the players that receive cash and benefits quit the team on top of it like Wheeler. They can and they will receive whatever comes their way within typical and realistic boundaries. I don’t know what world some live in but that’s how it is and it’s not wrong nor is it changing. This Lebron era “protect the player” stuff isn’t going to happen no matter what they want. Fans can and should conduct themselves like fans. Cheer the greats boo the crappy.

Calipari, even then, got the massive bulk of the fire. The players aren’t getting half the comments thrown at them that some of them should in reality so I don’t even get the issue he’s taking with this. Calipari recieved probably 80% or more of the comments and boos, that’s a lot considering how this is usually goes. In the NBA is the opposite, and these are professionals too, some OLDER than NBA players. I don’t think some are understanding this sht and still operate like it’s kids from the 90’s. It’s not. Not to mention Kentucky people are super respectful for the most past and very good with their players. This constant tag that the fanbase is nuts gets tiresome. Nobody takes care of their players and recognizes them like UK fans.

Last edited:
You have a terrible memory, then.

I see what he’s saying I just think it’s irrelevant and really not even accurate in that context. These are professional players college sports are a professional league. No longer does an adult player get to have adult money, free adult education, free adult living expenses, adult perks, (hell many of them commit adult crimes and break adult laws ) but, still be seen as an innocent kid who is above criticism nah sorry. Some of the players that receive cash and benefits quit the team on top of it like Wheeler. They can and they will receive whatever comes their way within typical and realistic boundaries. I don’t know what world some live in but that’s how it is and it’s not wrong nor is it changing. This Lebron era “protect the player” stuff isn’t going to happen no matter what they want. Fans can and should conduct themselves like fans. Cheer the greats boo the crappy.

Calipari, even then, got the massive bulk of the fire. The players aren’t getting half the comments thrown at them that some of them should in reality so I don’t even get the issue he’s taking with this. Calipari recieved probably 80% or more of the comments and boos, that’s a lot considering how this is usually goes. In the NBA is the opposite, and these are professionals too, some OLDER than NBA players. I don’t think some are understanding this sht and still operate like it’s kids from the 90’s. It’s not. Not to mention Kentucky people are super respectful for the most past and very good with their players. This constant tag that the fanbase is nuts gets tiresome. Nobody takes care of their players and recognizes them like UK fans.
The person said nobody was blaming players. And I showed them they were wrong. That's my whole point.

The person said nobody was blaming players. And I showed them they were wrong. That's my whole point.
Sorry don’t think I’m wrong. There was certainly frustration last year with some players who will be talked about regardless of coaching as they are the ones playing afterall but cal got the overwhelming lions share of heat on the blame side.. Talking about frustration from play is not placing blame. No one said if only cal had better players these guys suck. No it was if only these players had a freaking coach this year could be special.

Sorry don’t think I’m wrong. There was certainly frustration last year with some players who will be talked about regardless of coaching as they are the ones playing afterall but cal got the overwhelming lions share of heat on the blame side.. Talking about frustration from play is not placing blame. No one said if only cal had better players these guys suck. No it was if only these players had a freaking coach this year could be special.
Just stop. You're wrong.

Just stop. You're wrong.
And same to you!!! Maybe you show me 2 or 3 post from this past year where posters are blaming players for the failures instead of cal. I’ll wait…….take your time and get around to it whenever you like. It’s a long summer!!!!

Yea that’s what I’m saying too. I mean I just don’t see the point of the entire argument I guess. Calipari received a ton of the blame more so than anyone. I mean he was in full control of this program. I’m not sure what blaming players even means. If they played like crap then they’re gonna be blamed for playing like grap lol. But the resounding theme is Calipari builds bad rosters and can’t coach a lick. In the end, even a guy like wheeler who shouldn’t have been here in the first place, is on him.

I still believe and always will that Calipari was signing some of these guys to send signals to the boosters to pay up or go down. Calipari would have never signed a kid like Wheeler and then allow him to hold everyone hostage. Players like Brooks, I just think his last how many ever years here were all about messages to the money. But as far as blame goes it’s pretty much Calipari’s fault yea. Guess the argument is missed on me.

Yea that’s what I’m saying too. I mean I just don’t see the point of the entire argument I guess. Calipari received a ton of the blame more so than anyone. I mean he was in full control of this program. I’m not sure what blaming players even means. If they played like crap then they’re gonna be blamed for playing like grap lol. But the resounding theme is Calipari builds bad rosters and can’t coach a lick. In the end, even a guy like wheeler who shouldn’t have been here in the first place, is on him.

I still believe and always will that Calipari was signing some of these guys to send signals to the boosters to pay up or go down. Calipari would have never signed a kid like Wheeler and then allow him to hold everyone hostage. Players like Brooks, I just think his last how many ever years here were all about messages to the money. But as far as blame goes it’s pretty much Calipari’s fault yea. Guess the argument is missed on me.
Agreed. I think some are confusing complaining about players with placing blame on players. Edwards took a lot of heat for this past year as did Wagner (to a lesser degree) but it was cal who kept starting them and playing them and giving them minutes when it should have been others instead. Cal was responsible for the bad lineups and no defensive adjustments not the players. You can certainly pick individual plays where a player received blame like shep not covering the 3 at home vs Florida but not really what I’m referring too so maybe we are talking apples and oranges. All good either way…..

Unlike cal, pope will take responsibility when things don’t go as they should, just like any real good coach would. Pope will also make whatever adjustments are necessary and not worry about player X’s fragile ego. I suspect barring anything unforseen Pope will get a leash longer than one of Cal’s coveted 5 stars to work with. If he’s failing he will admit he’s not ready for the job. Honestly just do not see that being the case however. Think pope will have tremendous success here, what that looks like remains to be seen. Looking forward to it though!!!!
I don’t believe it matters if a coach takes responsibility or not. Mark Stoops always says we gotta put them in better position to win. We gotta get back to work. We gotta……. People don’t wanna hear that either. It’s just win baby and you don’t gotta have this press conference. Period. There is no good way to explain losing. There just isn’t.

I actually think Cal will keep things as friendly as possible while at Arky. He’s never going to duplicate what he did here his first 6 years… ever… at Arky or anywhere else. No matter the enormity of his ego, he knows this. He will basically be the Cal of the last handful of years.

I also think he will try to keep the UK connection open bc he wants his jersey in the rafters and wants to be celebrated no matter what he claims about it being about the playerzzzzzz. He knows his legacy isn’t going to be defined by UMass, Memphis or Arky. He knows he will always be judged by what he did in Lexington. He wants that to be remembered as fondly as possible. I think Cal was actually kind of sad to leave once the decision was made but knew he had to bc the end of his run at UK was at hand.

I actually think Cal will keep things as friendly as possible while at Arky. He’s never going to duplicate what he did here his first 6 years… ever… at Arky or anywhere else. No matter the enormity of his ego, he knows this. He will basically be the Cal of the last handful of years.

I also think he will try to keep the UK connection open bc he wants his jersey in the rafters and wants to be celebrated no matter what he claims about it being about the playerzzzzzz. He knows his legacy isn’t going to be defined by UMass, Memphis or Arky. He knows he will always be judged by what he did in Lexington. He wants that to be remembered as fondly as possible. I think Cal was actually kind of sad to leave once the decision was made but knew he had to bc the end of his run at UK was at hand.
Cal is the perfect example of “die a hero or live long enough to become a villain”

At least he finally figured out nobody wanted him here anymore

good Lord I'm so glad we don't have to listen to that gibberish anymore. tired of the narrative, helping first round draft picks, potential first round draft picks. get that money, If the majority of our recruits had been four stars who weren't projected to being first rounders okay then maybe you've done something. Cal is a first class liar imo

good Lord I'm so glad we don't have to listen to that gibberish anymore. tired of the narrative, helping first round draft picks, potential first round draft picks. get that money, If the majority of our recruits had been four stars who weren't projected to being first rounders okay then maybe you've done something. Cal is a first class liar imo
Exactly, those guys were already going to make millions. But he trying believes he helped them and their families. Were there even any players below a five star that he recruited get "helped " by val make it to league

Reactions: katwest

Cal with Dan patrick,

He knew that wouldnt fly here. Hes trying to mend ties with uk you can tell. I wont miss his buzz words or “generational wealth” speeches.
Why would Cal want to mend ties with UK? He believes he is bigger than UK and he thinks UK fans are too big for our britches. In going to Arkansas, he plans to teach us a lesson. He is not mending anything. He is getting ready to try to embarrass us. It will be the most motivated we have seen Cal in the last 10 years.

Reactions: RunninRichie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT