ADVERTISEMENT

“Blue Blood” era is over …

It's sad. I barely remember what it's like to be excited for the NCAA tournament. I guess all good things come to an end.

Same. Opening weekend of the NCAA tourney was my favorite sporting event for as long as I can remember. Better than the Super Bowl or anything else. I keep telling myself it still is but I honestly haven’t really enjoyed it since Covid.

In general every single sport I enjoy has declined massively the last 10 years.

It's sad. I barely remember what it's like to be excited for the NCAA tournament. I guess all good things come to an end.
I dont know how a college basketball fan isn't excited for the tournament regardless of how their team does. It's the best sporting event in the country. To me the tournament is just as exciting when we're a title favorite as it is when we miss it completely.

College basketball is just different now . I used to watch non Kentucky games but now I really only just watch Kentucky .
I don't think it's different. We're just not a good program anymore. It feels like we're the only blue blood that is continuing to decline, even with highly rated recruiting classes.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I mean a future job is the actual purpose of college. Some of these dudes just lucky to be going after high paying ones.
No, it's not. A degree (or certificate) is the actual purpose of college. You hope as a student to know enough to pass interviews for that job you're studying for. Education first, job second. It's the people who have perverted this that are the problem.

I don't think it's different. We're just not a good program anymore. It feels like we're the only blue blood that is continuing to decline, even with highly rated recruiting classes.
Nah college basketball definitely has a different feel to it . I’m not even talking about Kentucky basketball here . I’m still passionate about Kentucky.

Think about it Duke and UNC would be talked about all week Headed into their Saturday matchup . I damn near forgot about it until it was Saturday .

It ain’t just Kentucky. Look at Syracuse, Louisville, Indiana, UCLA, etc. Top programs that are almost forgotten about. These last several years the motto has been “it’s been anybody’s to win”.

It’s rarely ever failed in past decades that one of UK, UNC, KU, or Duke wasn’t the favorite to win it. Doesn’t mean they always did, but were at least favored.

An
I dont know how a college basketball fan isn't excited for the tournament regardless of how their team does. It's the best sporting event in the country. To me the tournament is just as exciting when we're a title favorite as it is when we miss it completely.

And you're actually a UK fan? Because I doubt it from that response.

The bluebloods are just fine and always will be. There will be an interloper or two every now and then. Like always.

The cream always rises to the top.

We are one of the best teams in the country right now.

Reactions: fatguy87
I think it's just parity coupled with more talent spread around. We just played in an 8 tournament team conference. I remember many years of only 3 teams making it.

If UK ain't in it then I hope they all lose. Can't get very interested in it. Only other part I care about is making sure someone puts Duke or Louisville out but we don't really have to worry about Louisville or Duke anymore. If UK is in it then yes it's the greatest sporting even ever invented. I hate to think it'll get killed off soon. Everything is changing though and I wished it wasn't.

kind of odd to say that when Kansas had great seasons up until this one......... UNC had a great season, Uconn is looking like back to back champs and with the players like Flagg coming in for Duke, they'll dominate next year. UCLA and IU shouldnt even be called blue bloods anymore And if that same Jay Wright came to UK, he'd make sure we did blue blood things.

Reactions: Jeff2Reed
No, it's not. A degree (or certificate) is the actual purpose of college. You hope as a student to know enough to pass interviews for that job you're studying for. Education first, job second. It's the people who have perverted this that are the problem.
Yeah if you're wanting to be a teacher, doctor or whatever else but if you are trying to play in the NBA as your job then you go to college and major in basketball. I get what your saying but I think anyone that could make millions hooping would be crazy to not take that opportunity while they can. If your borderline or not sure you gonna make it to the league then I don't understand the rush but they should learn to manage money in that year of education but they do kind of force these guys go to school for 1 year and they shouldn't do that.

What do you reckon those degrees are for? Pictures on the wall? lol. The end game is a damn job, my Lord.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
It's a whole new era for college sports period. The old blue bloods will be remembered but the new generation will be the schools with the most money.In

Just for Kentucky it seems.... Duke, unc, Kansas still feel like blue bloods
In my opinion UK no longer feels like a blue blood with cal as coach. Blue bloods compete regularly for their conference tourneys and NCAA tournament. UK no longer does that and hasn't for awhile.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Heard it all before. This is what happens when the big dogs slip and make some bad hires / bad contracts. . UNC Duke and Kentucky do not have the right coaches at this present time. Duke remains to be seen, UNC and U.K. are stupid for making these hires and signing the contracts. Never tie yourself down to a coach, if he leaves reload. That’s the lesson.

These articles are just to generate clicks. The game has always changed, the blue bloods are the ones that sustained.

I don’t think many schools will take the Calipari method of contracts well. He’s probably ruined other coaches from getting those kinds of deals. The guy packed it in and everything else is pure excuses. Fire rehire, and you’ll eventually figure it out. Tie yourself down like Indiana did with Knight and this is what you get.

It's a whole new era for college sports period. The old blue bloods will be remembered but the new generation will be the schools with the most money.

I’d take it a step further and say some former blue bloods will actually become the new Cinderella’s in the future

kind of odd to say that when Kansas had great seasons up until this one......... UNC had a great season, Uconn is looking like back to back champs and with the players like Flagg coming in for Duke, they'll dominate next year. UCLA and IU shouldnt even be called blue bloods anymore And if that same Jay Wright came to UK, he'd make sure we did blue blood things.

Exactly. And some of our resident “fans” love these articles and cannot wait to tear down what U.K. is at a moments notice to prop up their movie star coach and have an excuse ready to go. They don’t care if UK wins they only care that Calipari has cover when he loses. It’s as obvious as rain.

All blue bloods minus Kentucky have done well DURING NIL for the most part. Kentucky puts as much or more money into basketball as anyone, always has, always will. Kansas and UConn are not having problems, Duke is going through a coaching change but look to be dominant next season, UNC was recently in the final four.

It’s KENTUCKY that has a COACH PROBLEM. The guy has literally created a system with one arm tied behind his back and won’t play the right lineups because of promises. He literally said winning isn’t his priority, yet the same guys routinely try and find ways to work around it because they’re not willing to accept you have a choice. You can ditch him and win or you can keep him and lose.

I’ve also noticed these same “fans” now have to accept what’s going on and their go to is “I’ve already said I think it’s time he move on but but”. Totally incapable of saying they’ve been wrong and continue to pretend as if they’ve been right, somehow. Quietly stepping into the platform and hoping it wasn’t noticed.

They then turn the conversation into how they just don’t like “negativity”. It’s ridiculous how stubborn this group is. Calipari’s sales routine worked them over pretty bad.

Calipari is the problem at Kentucky, has been for years.

Reactions: Wally2000 and know1
It's a whole new era for college sports period. The old blue bloods will be remembered but the new generation will be the schools with the most money.
Luckily the fan base of Kentucky is massive. and can put forth a lot of money into the collective.

Will UCONN reel in their sixth title in 25 years two weeks from now—something only one school ever matched in the “Blue Blood” era even if you believe Wooden wasn’t cheating? If not this opinion will look more true and less wimpy.

I think it's going to be whichever schools can tap into NIL, create a collective, and also lean on alumni to help "fund" this in some way. Whoever can successfully buy their players will create the talent advantage. If that school can rattle off some deep runs, they will get their fanbase more involved, and more likely to be apart of NIL.

I still don't know why some programs aren't creating a system where fans can donate money to a NIL collective and in turn, get things like signed posters, a commemorative Tshirt, etc. I would absolutely shell out some money, get a signed Reed poster, and have that money go towards the next group of players.

That's what Kentucky needs to do here, find a way to tap into this extremely large and passionate fanbase.

I don't think it's the schools with the most money....it's the schools that have enough money and the most passionate fan bases/loyal supporters.

as soon as this covid year thing is over and 25 year olds are no longer playing against 18 year olds things will get closer to normal
there is a huge difference in a mans body at 25 vs 18

as soon as this covid year thing is over and 25 year olds are no longer playing against 18 year olds things will get closer to normal
there is a huge difference in a mans body at 25 vs 18
And apparently it totally caught Cal by surprise and he didn't make accommodations for it.

No. This is backwards. We have become a "certification" society. That actually devalues the education.

The purpose of college is to prepare students to be competitive in the market, and to hopefully instill a growth mindset. If you go for a degree, that is what you will get, a piece of paper and nothing else.

If a student is good enough before getting that degree to garner a well paying job offer any college or professor in their right mind should push them out the door to that offer, knowing that college classes will always be there.

If a student in a computer science class is talented enough after their freshman or sophomore year to get a job offer for 6 or 7 figures from a big tech firm, the University would write a feature on them in the school magazine.

People are going to college to be competitive in the job market not for "education first"

Reactions: mebeblue2
Definitely worth keeping an eye on. Will things go back to “normal” once the COVID year players have exhausted their eligibility? Will the schools with the most NIL money become the new bluebloods? Will the transfer portal continue to ensure uncertainty with nearly every roster in the country.

On one hand, I’m not ready to write the obituary for the traditional bluebloods just yet. On the other hand, we’re kidding ourselves if we think the same 4-6 programs will run things until the end of time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT