ADVERTISEMENT

‘They don’t have a one-and-done on this roster’

Exactly. This is UK, where has he been? It will be easier to list the dudes that aren't jumping early, starting with Brad Calipari.
I mean come on, Humphries is jumping, that's all anyone needs to know.
I suspect that you live in a bubble of ignorance, blissfully unaware of what goes on in college basketball much beyond what happens with UK.

Go and look back at the lists of early entrants this decade, then tell me that guys leaving without doing much in college or having a chance of being drafted in the 1st round is just a UK/Cal problem. All you have to do is look at the numbers to see that can't be right.

Number of NBA draft selections: 60, 30 in the 1st round.

Early draft entries (college players only) 2016: 60
2015- 47
2014- 44

And honestly, would it make much difference if someone like Humphries transferred? Because that's what often happens with guys like that. So far this decade, Duke has had Alex Murphy, Michael Gbinije, Rasheed Sulaimon, Semi Ojeleye, Derryck Thornton, and Chase Jeter transfer. When you lose backup players with potential, does it really matter in the long run where they go? Either way, you're losing them.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
So just because the refs assisted UNC with their runs and the NCAA is dragging their feet, means that UNC didn't actually appear in two NCAA title games with a shot to win both?
I don't care how they got there, they were there and they won one of them and should have won the other.
But the rest of your post is just as ridiculous. Roy Williams is a college coach, he is not an agent for the NBA, as long as he's honest with those kids during the recruiting process, I see nothing at all wrong with those UNC kids staying 3 or 4 years. It's their choice, they are adults and they are capable of making their own decisions. I don't see where Roy is holding anyone back.
Look, I hate UNC just as much as you, but to say that UNC and RW are ruining these kids lives because those kids stayed in school is just ridiculous crap.
I think it's ridiculous that so many kids jump early. This is college, not the damn D league and Roy is running his program, his COLLEGE program, the way a college program was intended to run (with the exception of the scam that Dean Smith started).
If Cal was doing it that way we would all point and laugh at everyone else for doing it a different way. Your post is a prime example of that. I mean, you are literally shaming a coach because his kids come back to school and have given him 3 national titles. That's just dumb. Sorry dude, but damn, think before you post.
One last thing as to the stupidity of your post. You said these kids are adults and capable of making decisions on their own? So are you implying when cal gives the kids advice at the end of the season, that he should do his best car salesmen pitch like Roy and pitino and do his best to convince them to return even if the coach deep down knows that's not what's best for the kid? Or should he just refuse to give advice at all and let them come up with the decision on their own with no help from coach because they're adults and capable of making the decision ontheir own? Or should he be honest to the kid and give the kid the advice he feels is best for the kid and the kids family whether it being to return or leave? It sounds like you feel like cal should do his damnedest to get every kid to return regardless of status in draft because that's what gives us the best chance the next season. I guarantee you if he started doing what cal and Roy do all these OAD's would stop coming because he'd have the reputation as some who is selfish and not players first. Yes he's a college coach, and? He's damn good at it. Reason hes in the hall of fame. There's no end to your stupidity and logic. And for that I don't see how anyone here could possibly view you as someone with credibility.

Reactions: Cychologist
Some hard numbers on early entry guys not getting drafted:

2016- 28 guys stayed in the draft, yet weren't drafted.
2015- 17
2014- 13
2013- 17
2012- 18

You know who has a real problem with this? UNLV. They've lost just about all their players early, and very few have been drafted. The SEC outside of UK also has a problem, and maybe the crappy status of the conference prior to this year was mostly explainable by the sheer volume of guys leaving early and not getting drafted.

Here's the complete list of all this info.

http://www.thedraftreview.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=136&Itemid=122

I suspect that you live in a bubble of ignorance, blissfully unaware of what goes on in college basketball much beyond what happens with UK.

Go and look back at the lists of early entrants this decade, then tell me that guys leaving without doing much in college or having a chance of being drafted in the 1st round is just a UK/Cal problem. All you have to do is look at the numbers to see that can't be right.

Number of NBA draft selections: 60, 30 in the 1st round.

Early draft entries (college players only) 2016: 60
2015- 47
2014- 44

And honestly, would it make much difference if someone like Humphries transferred? Because that's what often happens with guys like that. So far this decade, Duke has had Alex Murphy, Michael Gbinije, Rasheed Sulaimon, Semi Ojeleye, Derryck Thornton, and Chase Jeter transfer. When you lose backup players with potential, does it really matter in the long run where they go? Either way, you're losing them.
No, I don't live in a bubble. I simply don't think we should be looking down on programs because they allow their players to return to school and win titles. Then, on top of looking down on them, we accuse them of robbing these kids because the RETURNED TO SCHOOL. That's insane to me.
I guess that's somewhat hard for some to understand.
Just because it's not our system, it must be wrong I guess.

One last thing as to the stupidity of your post. You said these kids are adults and capable of making decisions on their own? So are you implying when cal gives the kids advice at the end of the season, that he should do his best car salesmen pitch like Roy and pitino and do his best to convince them to return even if the coach deep down knows that's not what's best for the kid? Or should he just refuse to give advice at all and let them come up with the decision on their own with no help from coach because they're adults and capable of making the decision ontheir own? Or should he be honest to the kid and give the kid the advice he feels is best for the kid and the kids family whether it being to return or leave? It sounds like you feel like cal should do his damnedest to get every kid to return regardless of status in draft because that's what gives us the best chance the next season. I guarantee you if he started doing what cal and Roy do all these OAD's would stop coming because he'd have the reputation as some who is selfish and not players first. Yes he's a college coach, and? He's damn good at it. Reason hes in the hall of fame. There's no end to your stupidity and logic. And for that I don't see how anyone here could possibly view you as someone with credibility.
I have a question for you.
Do you have a link that backs up what you are saying is happening at these other schools? Do you have something that proves that a coach, in particular, Roy Williams, is somehow tricking these kids into coming back to school?
It appears to me that an assumption is somehow becoming a fact.
These kids and their families are making their own decisions, it's not up to Roy.
Uk's kids are making their own decisions.
Know what the difference is? Call tells these kids to not expect to be here for 4 years and that's fine, but you can't look at a guy like RW and criticize him because he is recruiting kids that want to stay in school. He does not appear to be laying a guilt trip on these kids or strong arming them, he's most likely doing what he tells them when he is recruiting them.

Well I didnt want to just repeat what mj2k10 posted.

I just thought I'd tease you a little and call you Jeffy though
Maybe try to form your own opinion instead of piggy backing what everyone else has to say.
You run around this board jumping in the middle of discussions and pile on with insults.
You should try something different, your schtick has gotten old. But you knew that already.

Maybe try to form your own opinion instead of piggy backing what everyone else has to say.
You run around this board jumping in the middle of discussions and pile on with insults.
You should try something different, your schtick has gotten old. But you knew that already.

Lmao...... I love how calling you Jeffy gets you bent out of shape. I dont care if you literally come here and kill me. Its worth it. :joy:

P.S. MJ2K10 is right...... you should listen to him

It's not a cakewalk but we should have more than just one damn title at this point with the teams we've had.

At the very minimum we should have 2. Truly it should be 3 but even if it were just 2 then I personally wouldn't be such a critic of Cal and others probably wouldn't as well.

No one cares who you are critical of. You known as the worst poster here. You're an idiot. Your opinion is worthless

Lmao...... I love how calling you Jeffy gets you bent out of shape. I dont care if you literally come here and kill me. Its worth it. :joy:

P.S. MJ2K10 is right...... you should listen to him
MJ2K10 voiced an opinion, while different than mine, doesn't make it right.

We were also talking about 2 different things.

I don't care about stats that show how many kids have jumped and from what school they jumped from, my point was, why are we looking down on schools that have players that return through their Junior years and… GASP… graduate. What a concept for a university to have.

Then, we want to accuse the coach of, somehow, flim flamming his players into coming back to school without any proof of such a thing happening.

So, I have no idea how stats about when and where kids jump have anything to do with what I posted.

Getting back to the OP, I just want to say how happy I am to read this. I know that it's too early to predict and all that, but I kinda like the idea of getting to know some of the new recruits for two or three years. And I'm ready to buy my 40 - 0 in 2019 T-shirt as soon as possible.

It's not a cakewalk but we should have more than just one damn title at this point with the teams we've had.

At the very minimum we should have 2. Truly it should be 3 but even if it were just 2 then I personally wouldn't be such a critic of Cal and others probably wouldn't as well.

Maybe you're right and we should've had another title but in reality, how many coaches can you say that about? Possibly all of the blue blood coaches throughout the years have had teams that "should've" won the title. It just doesn't always work out that way. I agree that we should have at least another title but I'm not going to keep knocking our coach because of it.

If we get Bamba, we'll once again have two lottery picks, and probably at least 3 first rounders overall. Weak draft next year.

I'm calling the conservative over/under at three.

I think four is probably the number I expect before practice one and Calipari still seriously recruiting for this year. AKA I know little to nothing but unless you think we are going to be very average (no that doesn't mean top 25ish) or worse then we are going to produce I'd have to say no less than two one and dones and at least one lottery pick.

Didn't our NIT have two lottery picks or close like top 20?

I think we have to be hot garbage to not have a single guy go and stay in the draft.

Maybe you're right and we should've had another title but in reality, how many coaches can you say that about? Possibly all of the blue blood coaches throughout the years have had teams that "should've" won the title. It just doesn't always work out that way. I agree that we should have at least another title but I'm not going to keep knocking our coach because of it.
While I agree with what you're saying, those other coach's "should have titles" are mostly spread out over a 20-30 year span. Plus there's only a couple. Cal has had 3 teams at minimum, besides the 2012 team, that you can look at and say "are you kidding me, how didn't we win it." And that's in the span of 8 years.

That's what makes it so much harder to swallow with Cal.

We could easily be in the middle of a dynasty that's only ever been done by Ucla in the 70's but instead we are stuck on 1 title and a handful of "almosts."

ADVERTISEMENT