ADVERTISEMENT

WKU to Rupp Arena

Mark Pope just keeps pouring it on. He has served notice to Kids around the state that not being a 5-star player or being from the state won't preclude you from getting a fair chance to wear the blue and white. He is willing to play another state university to help give them greater visibility and a nice pay day. The guy just really appears focused on aiding the state's athletics. It is also a special act on his part to schedule a game with an HBCU. He seems to know what reaching down to extend a helping hand is all about.

Mark Pope you are the man!!
Inspirational post.

Have family that went to Murray, grew up close to the campus, always pulled for them until….

I was shocked to see how awful their fans are. Murray St. fans think they’re on level with teams like Louisville in the state and they do not support Kentucky to the extent you’d think. I always thought Murray St. fans were just UK fans that rooted for their local small university, no sir. Many of them hate UK as much as much as any major program does. Knowing how much this state is controlled by UK fans top to bottom it was always shocking to me.

Murray St. is a small piss ant program that has no significance academically or athletically. Why they even begin to even look the way of UK is beyond me. I hope they get slaughtered in every game now. Im sure 90% of Murray Kentucky is all blue, but the 10% that are true Murray fans can kiss my kosher ass.

What’s odd about your post is I have almost the entirely opposite experience on this. My mom and brother graduated from Murray and many friends too.

Most WKU students, alumni and fans are also UK fans. Many of us put UK first.
There are also a lot that are UL fans instead because WKU has a lot of students from Louisville.

I do know there’s a lot of those fans as well. I always root for the in state teams besides Louisville but I’m not what you’d call a fan of any of those schools.

What’s odd about your post is I have almost the entirely opposite experience on this. My mom and brother graduated from Murray and many friends too.
I am a UK fan first and foremost, but I went to Murray. My sister graduated from their RN program. My daughter graduated from their OSHA program several years ago and was offered numerous well paying jobs by major insurance companies. She said their OSHA program was rated second only behind Penn State nationally.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Probably Illinois nazis. I hate Illinois nazis.
0aJv-D.gif

Have family that went to Murray, grew up close to the campus, always pulled for them until….

I was shocked to see how awful their fans are. Murray St. fans think they’re on level with teams like Louisville in the state and they do not support Kentucky to the extent you’d think. I always thought Murray St. fans were just UK fans that rooted for their local small university, no sir. Many of them hate UK as much as much as any major program does. Knowing how much this state is controlled by UK fans top to bottom it was always shocking to me.

Murray St. is a small piss ant program that has no significance academically or athletically. Why they even begin to even look the way of UK is beyond me. I hope they get slaughtered in every game now. Im sure 90% of Murray Kentucky is all blue, but the 10% that are true Murray fans can kiss my kosher ass.
They werent too bad until the Ja Morant year; then they thought they were a major program.

A lot of Western fans have always had that attitude bc they have a little more historical success. Many are anti UK and think they are the 3rd major program in the state..or pull for UL a little on the side.

Idk if it’s something about the Western Ky region being 5+ hours from Lexington or what but there does seem to be a slight disconnect out that way that you don’t see in central or East KY. Those regions know that EKU/Morehead/NKU etc are great localish schools but not national brands and they are all UK fans first and foremost

They werent too bad until the Ja Morant year; then they thought they were a major program.

A lot of Western fans have always had that attitude bc they have a little more historical success. Many are anti UK and think they are the 3rd major program in the state..or pull for UL a little on the side.

Idk if it’s something about the Western Ky region being 5+ hours from Lexington or what but there does seem to be a slight disconnect out that way that you don’t see in central or East KY. Those regions know that EKU/Morehead/NKU etc are great localish schools but not national brands and they are all UK fans first and foremost
Lol. No. Everyone is a UK fan out here. WKU/Murray only fans are outliers. Most everyone is either UK only or they cheer for UK first and their ''local'' teams 2nd. UK was always the school to cheer for because it's the state's flagship school. The only disconnect here is we're more connected to TN. So you have some TN fans here.

I vividly remember when the 'Cats played WKU on March 18, 1971 in the NCAA Mideast Regional semi-final game at the University of Georgia arena. Not a good outcome for the 'Cats. WKU went on to play in the Final Four that year.
Those of you who are too young to remember that game should look it up on Jon Scott's superb website (lest we get too haughty about a game this season):
That was Western's greatest team ever. UK had a subpar team that season.
Tom Payne was a soph and he got eaten alive by Jim McDaniels, who may have
the best center to come out of this state.

Reactions: IbnSaran
Was that the year that there was a blizzard and very few were able to make it to the game that day? I was actually at the Rupp game in the NCAA tournament that year.
Yeah. I can’t remember the attendance but IIRC they actually got some high school refs from the crowd because one or more of the scheduled refs couldn’t get there.

Reactions: TheThack
That was Western's greatest team ever. UK had a subpar team that season.
Tom Payne was a soph and he got eaten alive by Jim McDaniels, who may have
the best center to come out of this state.
Was before my time (I was 2), but McDaniels was from my hometown just 30min from Bowling Green. He came to our high school (the city and county HS’s consolidated later in the 70’s) when I was a JR in mid-80’s and talked to my chemistry class. Unfortunate how his pro career went.

Not even close to reality, you just have something in you that hates Murray. Just plain silliness.

Yeah, and they had the 1971 final four vacated for cheating.

Western didn't cheat. McDaniels signed with an agent before the tournament was over. They got to the final four by beating Jacksonville and some cat named Artis Gilmore.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheThack
100% agree with you, plus I graduated from MSU myself, as did my wife!
We had a great experience there!

The tournament game back in 1986 was pretty cool. WKU was ranked coming into the game, Tellis Frank was a first round draft choice, Kannard Johnson was taken in the second and Clem Haskins was still “good” Clem Haskins at that point.

Not even close to reality, you just have something in you that hates Murray. Just plain silliness.

Yea that’s what it is. I just lay in bed at night hating Murray. Eats me alive. Which I strange because I always pulled for them as a side team because they’re close to my hometown area and some of my family went there. I almost went there for undergrad to play for them too. So my hatred for them is weird and just sprung up from the nothing. They’re a program that challenges Kentucky for greatness so I guess maybe it’s natural. You’re a pretty smart guy how’d you figure all that out my man?

I had an interaction with a group of Murray fans that are alumns and several who were current students. They talked more sht about Kentucky than a Tennessee fan. And it wasn’t just a few, this was a group of Murray fans who actually follow sports. So I assume it’s not just them. I later asked some of my family about it and was told there are quite a lot of Murray St fans that hate UK. I assume most people from Murray are UK people of course, but they have at minimum a large segment of their fanbase that hates Kentucky and sees us as some kind of side kick in the state to them. So I do not root for that sht. If you need any further help let me know.

Last edited:
Lol. No. Everyone is a UK fan out here. WKU/Murray only fans are outliers. Most everyone is either UK only or they cheer for UK first and their ''local'' teams 2nd. UK was always the school to cheer for because it's the state's flagship school. The only disconnect here is we're more connected to TN. So you have some TN fans he
Yeah, grew up down there. You right

Reactions: RunninRichie
The tournament game back in 1986 was pretty cool. WKU was ranked coming into the game, Tellis Frank was a first round draft choice, Kannard Johnson was taken in the second and Clem Haskins was still “good” Clem Haskins at that point.

Yeah, I was there. WKU beat Nebraska to play UK the second game. Tellis and Kannard were great players, but UK had Kenny Walker.

Last edited:
Yea that’s what it is. I just lay in bed at night hating Murray. Eats me alive. Which I strange because I always pulled for them as a side team because they’re close to my hometown area and some of my family went there. I almost went there for undergrad to play for them too. So my hatred for them is weird and just sprung up from the nothing. They’re a program that challenges Kentucky for greatness so I guess maybe it’s natural. You’re a pretty smart guy how’d you figure all that out my man?

I had an interaction with a group of Murray fans that are alumns and several who were current students. They talked more sht about Kentucky than a Tennessee fan. And it wasn’t just a few, this was a group of Murray fans who actually follow sports. So I assume it’s not just them. I later asked some of my family about it and was told there are quite a lot of Murray St fans that hate UK. I assume most people from Murray are UK people of course, but they have at minimum a large segment of their fanbase that hates Kentucky and sees us as some kind of side kick in the state to them. So I do not root for that sht. If you need any further help let me know.
That's a little much..

Reactions: Doodah859
I'm not sure that we are in a position point fingers or otherwise to discount that WKU victory in 1971.
Holy crap! We were on probation? Man. When?!!!!!!!

Yeah, I was there. WKU beat Nebraska to play UK the second game. Tellis and Kannard were great players, but UK had Kenny Walker.
Walker all but owned college basketball that season. He wore goggles that year after getting poked in the eye by St John’s player the previous March? Without looking, that UK roster against WKU would have included Walker, Bennett, Blackmon, Davender, Master Blaster and Jenkins?

Walker all but owned college basketball that season. He wore goggles that year after getting poked in the eye by St John’s player the previous March? Without looking, that UK roster against WKU would have included Walker, Bennett, Blackmon, Davender, Master Blaster and Jenkins?
And Roger Harden

i could not care less if we ever played IU again. they are like playing a mid-major
i do want the home-n- home back with UNC
I would rather have home and home against power 5 teams, bring in the smaller teams as our warm up games, only play tourney games in neutral sites. No reason to not go to UNC / DUKE / Indiana / Kansas / UCLA and so forth. Cal took away any good games from home except the Ville and the rest was scheduling. Cal hated having to do the SEC/BIG12 and now SEC/ACC challenge. I was surprised he did the Gonzaga series, lost 2 and gone.

The 2 challenge games we do each year right now should be rotated between all 4 schools home floor. That way each 4 years the teams home town get the extra $$$ to local business. Or they need to end and the UKIT should come back with it being a true tourney. 4 or 8 teams, all big mid major or power 5 teams. Something like

Kentucky vs WKU Rupp
Louisville vs EKU Yum
Kansas vs Wichita State Rupp
Indiana vs Indiana State Yum

2 yums winners play day 2 / 2 yum losers play day 2
2 rupps winners play day 2 / 2 Rupp Losers play day 2

Then alternate the Championship and / 3vs4 game each year (one year Rupp / one year Yum).

Make it a power 5 from a state with smaller but good program for the first 4 games.
Should get some good games.

I'm fine with playing the local state schools.

Is it murray that arrogantly wont agree just to come to Rupp?

Western has some prick fans and officials too. Glad to see we can beat their asses thus season.
I haven't really met any WKU fans that I would describe as being a prick. Most seem to also rock UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT