ADVERTISEMENT

Why is it on here that a lot folks dont like Matt Jones

BLUEDOUG46

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 4, 2012
I am not his spokesperson by no means. I agree that he can be a bit crass, rude and arrogant at times. I don't agree with most of his politics, but that doesn't really matter. What I most don't like is that he uses the sight as a forum for his Political views at times. I like a lot more about Matt and gang than I don't like. I appreciate his honesty and sincerity and think that he is a very good person at heart. He was way ahead of his time by understanding the future of news dissemination and content and the end of paper print. I do believe he has inside information and I have always enjoyed listening to his show when he sticks to UK topics. The Restaurant tournament and all that stuff I can do without, but I get it you have slow news days. I just believe that he loves Kentucky and our sports programs and has done an excellent job marketing that and building it into a very interesting product. I am guilty of most days looking at the sight a few times each days. I guess I see him as an advocate for the team we all love, and he and his team provide some great content. I just see derogatory comments on here by some and wonder what it is about him that rubs folks the wrong way.

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

I am not his spokesperson by no means. I agree that he can be a bit crass, rude and arrogant at times. I don't agree with most of his politics, but that doesn't really matter. What I most don't like is that he uses the sight as a forum for his Political views at times. I like a lot more about Matt and gang than I don't like. I appreciate his honesty and sincerity and think that he is a very good person at heart. He was way ahead of his time by understanding the future of news dissemination and content and the end of paper print. I do believe he has inside information and I have always enjoyed listening to his show when he sticks to UK topics. The Restaurant tournament and all that stuff I can do without, but I get it you have slow news days. I just believe that he loves Kentucky and our sports programs and has done an excellent job marketing that and building it into a very interesting product. I am guilty of most days looking at the sight a few times each days. I guess I see him as an advocate for the team we all love, and he and his team provide some great content. I just see derogatory comments on here by some and wonder what it is about him that rubs folks the wrong way.
Are you serious Clark?

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
He loves the next little scoop more than Kentucky sir. Don’t be silly. He feeds what he wants you to hear with just a touch of truth about UK. We all should be blessed with lawyer speak, a small touch of insight, and as intelligent as he thinks he is. I think he is a stain on the whole athletic program.

Matt is fine for what he is....entertainer. maybe a little true news thrown in.

He comes off as he fancies himself a journalist, but he isn't. He's a guy having fun and making money. That's fine.

I didn't realize until this past year he suffered from epilepsy. I saw him go into a full seizure on film. Hard to watch. I gained some respect for him as a man.

Not as a journalist.

I don’t listen nearly as much as I used to. Mostly because I don’t want to hear about his political views, he and I will have to agree to disagree. Don’t want to hear about his favorite drive through or pro wrestling. I want to hear about UK sports and local sports in general.

I think Matt is basically a good guy. I enjoy his opinion on UK sports and his ‘inside’ information. I appreciate his honest take on CCC not getting it done even though it’s cost him not having him on the show.

What continues to absolutely amaze me are all these folks who can’t stand the ground he walks on. If he was on fire they wouldn’t p!$$ on him to help save him. Yet they continue read his twitter feed and listen to his show.

“Of course that’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller

I wish him well as far as his health, I didn’t know that but dang, good luck to him. I just wish he didn’t try to “scoop” everything… cause he can’t and he ain’t that good!

What's even more weird is these guys on here who come running to a radio hosts defense. Matt Jones is 40 or pushing 40 years old. He doesn't need fellow grown men rushing to his aid like a combat medic.
Starting a thread about it? Definitely, I'm with you. Responding in a discussion? I've never understood the bias toward negativity. This isn't just about Matt Jones, you look anywhere on the internet about any subject and haters will bash away but anyone who takes the opposite side gets the "she ain't gonna **** you" or "Is that you, Ellen?" or "nice white knighting" reaction. Not sure why people act like it's normal, kosher behavior for grown ass adults to bash people and run their name through the mud while expecting that nobody will disagree with them or defend the person they're bashing. Negativity is treated as normal and positivity as something somehow suspect.

Starting a thread about it? Definitely, I'm with you. Responding in a discussion? I've never understood the bias toward negativity. This isn't just about Matt Jones, you look anywhere on the internet about any subject and haters will bash away but anyone who takes the opposite side gets the "she ain't gonna **** you" or "Is that you, Ellen?" or "nice white knighting" reaction. Not sure why people act like it's normal, kosher behavior for grown ass adults to bash people and run their name through the mud while expecting that nobody will disagree with them or defend the person they're bashing. Negativity is treated as normal and positivity as something somehow suspect.
It's just seen as cringe usually. At least from what i've seen.

Reactions: Fox2monk
How bout this

He reposted several articles that I wrote about UK football back in the day and posted them on his site without giving credit. It looked like he was the one that wrote the articles

One example is the recruiting room story that I wrote

Is it ok to not like him for that?

Last edited:
It's just seen as cringe usually. At least from what i've seen.
That's what I'm saying, I don't understand why defending is "cringe" and bashing is normal. Why is being negative about someone normal but being positive about someone "cringe?" I think talking crap about someone online is definitely as "cringe" as defending someone against bashing. Especially on the internet, there's just such a pervasive negativity bias. "If you don't have something mean to say, don't say anything at all" seems to be the rule. Pick a subject, any subject, and conversation seems to always be dominated by bitching and bashing and whining.

does anymore need to be said

Reactions: pardaisy
Has a hard time keeping a gf 40 yrs old not married and talks about his mom all the time to me something seems not to be right about his character but that is just me

• Haha
Reactions: RipThru
For me it’s just that he knows and employs (outside of Freddy) people that know nothing about football. He even used to admit he didn’t give 2 shits about the football program back in the day. His tune only changed when he got access through Marrow.

If it was just his 1 radio show though who cares but he is the post game football show and his disdain for UK football fans shines through in those broadcasts. If he didn’t have the post game show I wouldn’t care what he did at all.

I am not his spokesperson by no means. I agree that he can be a bit crass, rude and arrogant at times. I don't agree with most of his politics, but that doesn't really matter. What I most don't like is that he uses the sight as a forum for his Political views at times. I like a lot more about Matt and gang than I don't like. I appreciate his honesty and sincerity and think that he is a very good person at heart. He was way ahead of his time by understanding the future of news dissemination and content and the end of paper print. I do believe he has inside information and I have always enjoyed listening to his show when he sticks to UK topics. The Restaurant tournament and all that stuff I can do without, but I get it you have slow news days. I just believe that he loves Kentucky and our sports programs and has done an excellent job marketing that and building it into a very interesting product. I am guilty of most days looking at the sight a few times each days. I guess I see him as an advocate for the team we all love, and he and his team provide some great content. I just see derogatory comments on here by some and wonder what it is about him that rubs folks the wrong way
I don’t have any negative comments about Matt in particular, in fact I enjoy listening to him on the radio show too.

That's what I'm saying, I don't understand why defending is "cringe" and bashing is normal. Why is being negative about someone normal but being positive about someone "cringe?" I think talking crap about someone online is definitely as "cringe" as defending someone against bashing. Especially on the internet, there's just such a pervasive negativity bias. "If you don't have something mean to say, don't say anything at all" seems to be the rule. Pick a subject, any subject, and conversation seems to always be dominated by bitching and bashing and whining.
Spot on!

He's alright....but I don't really listen to the show save maybe after a big win the Monday after.

1. His schtick of "Nobody by Calipari I want as coach" even after listing all the bad coaching moves, all the "this is unacceptable" losses....but derides fans who don't share his affinity to Cal.
2. He knows little to nothing on football.

THe show is entertaining mainly but little sports expertise.

Reactions: RipThru
I like him ok now. I thought when he started his site and show was too basketball-centric. I’d switch stations ina heartbeat. He hired Freddie et Al for football content and I came around.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Same reason a lot of folks don't like Colin Cowherd, Paul Finebaum, Stephen A, Jim Rome, etc...

You can only have opinions and say things on message boards. You can't be an actual sports reporter/journalist/talker for a real media company with your own show specifically about sports and say things about sports.

His personality sucks for all the reasons given above. But I also don’t like how he covers football. Used to not care at all, now he just tells us whatever Marrow tells him to. Sometimes that’s not bad it means he gets first scoop.

Other times it means he’s just a mouthpiece to defend his friends. I’ll never get over him saying Vince was a top candidate for Cincy. Totally fabricated and completely unrealistic but he’ll lie for his buddy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT