ADVERTISEMENT

why do we have such a hard time recruiting against KU?

kyups01

All-American
Feb 25, 2007
I just don't get it. They have murdered us in head to head recruiting basically since Cal got here. Its not like they compete for Titles every year. It really makes u wonder the type stuff Self says to recruits that we are going against them for.

I just don't get it. They have murdered us in head to head recruiting basically since Cal got here. Its not like they compete for Titles every year. It really makes u wonder the type stuff Self says to recruits that we are going against them for.

Here we go again....

Trust in Cal...would you rather have KU's results vs. ours over that same span? That's what I thought.

Murdered us how? Some bogus recruiting ranking of players or class? Or actual wins and performance in the tournament.

To my knowledge, the NCAA has never presented an award or even acknowledged a single recruiting class. I'd measure success via head to head match-ups, overall wins and tournament performance.

Do NOT let ESPN tell you what to think, much less some recruiting service or class rank.

(Sorry, I think this is the right thread now.)

If only Cal would have reeled in Xavier Henry, Selby, Kelly Oubre, Wiggins and now Vick, it would have been Kentucky winning a championship and going to four Final Fours in the past five years, not Kansas.

Like the OP, I'm sick of Round of 32 Flame Outs, getting beaten as a 1 seed by mid-majors and whipped decisively as a 2-seed by our hated in-state rival.

Results are what matters, and if Cal can't get it done, then we need someone who can like Self.

Ok ok it hasn't happened I can't be a UK fan and think this way. Sorry it's just my imagination running wild on me. We dominate them in recruiting just like on the court under Cal.

I think we can rule out Self telling Diallo and Bragg they can be the next Cliff Alexander.;)

If only Cal would have reeled in Xavier Henry, Selby, Kelly Oubre, Wiggins and now Vick, it would have been Kentucky winning a championship and going to four Final Fours in the past five years, not Kansas.

Like the OP, I'm sick of Round of 32 Flame Outs, getting beaten as a 1 seed by mid-majors and whipped decisively as a 2-seed by our hated in-state rival.

Results are what matters, and if Cal can't get it done, then we need someone who can like Self.

Awesome!

LOL! Good post.

Ok, everyone grab that sarcasm meter knob and turn right full and punch the max gain button.

Remember The Shiver reporting that Julius Randle was a KU lock? Yeah, I remember that ish.

Reactions: brianpoe

Honestly, only one I'd take out of that group is Wiggins...hindsight is 20/20, but still.

It really did suck when we lost these recruits to Kansas:

Orton
Knight
Lamb
Terrence Jones
Goodwin
Randle
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison

Darryl

That's a good way to look at it. 2 on that list won a title, 5 of them played in the title game. All but two of them made at the least the E8. Compare that to the recruits they beat us for like Wiggins, Xavier Henry, Alexander, Ellis, Selden, Selby, and Oubre, none of whom went to a FF or title game. And only 1 EE in the bunch.

I'm not talking about on court results or "sarcasm" I'm aski ng why Self owns Cal in head to head recruiting battles, it isn't even close.

No Kansas hasn't. But don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

I'm not talking about on court results or "sarcasm" I'm aski ng why Self owns Cal in head to head recruiting battles, it isn't even close.
Because Self is the best coach, best recruiter and has the best hairpiece in college basketball. Deal with it, get used to it.

Self has a story to tell and its resonating with players, parents, and "Handlers" of this particular years class. Remember this....Handlers don't like other Handlers.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but so what? Its not a competition that anyone scores in any meaningful way. Nobody gives a trophy.

You can't "own" someone when nobody keeps score.

I don't remember us ever taking a mega recruit from KU late in the recruiting season like they have us on multiple occasions

This post is laughable. the Cats have consistently had the best recruiting classes since Cal appeared. That means he has gotten BETTER overall recruits than Self (a good recruiter and coach).

What do you mean by head to head recruits? Do you think Self didn't want Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Teague, Knight, Jones, Randle, Skal, Briscoe, Ulis, the Harrisons, James Young, Goodwin, Towns, Dakari, Booker, etc. , etc., etc. What must the KU fans think about Self "losing" WCS? Come on.man.

I don't see why this bothers people. They're pretty much even in recruiting. Cal owns Self on the court. It is what it is.

This post is laughable. the Cats have consistently had the best recruiting classes since Cal appeared. That means he has gotten BETTER overall recruits than Self (a good recruiter and coach).

What do you mean by head to head recruits? Do you think Self didn't want Wall, Bledsoe, Cousins, Teague, Knight, Jones, Randle, Skal, Briscoe, Ulis, the Harrisons, James Young, Goodwin, Towns, Dakari, Booker, etc. , etc., etc. What must the KU fans think about Self "losing" WCS? Come on.man.
Did I say overall? Pretty sure I said head to head, which means for certain mutually targeted recruits...

That's a good way to look at it. 2 on that list won a title, 5 of them played in the title game. All but two of them made at the least the E8. Compare that to the recruits they beat us for like Wiggins, Xavier Henry, Alexander, Ellis, Selden, Selby, and Oubre, none of whom went to a FF or title game. And only 1 EE in the bunch.

a little breakdown from what i remember
Henry wanted to follow Cal to UK, his parents all but forced him to KU (he has said as much)
Selby was a player that wanted to come to UK, but Cal never really but the full court press on him
Cal made a choice (the right one) to either go after Casey Hill and Seldon or the twins
we were more than stacked last year, where would the minutes come from for Alexander and Oubre?
i think you can take those players off the list of recruits Self has beaten Cal on

Ok ok it hasn't happened I can't be a UK fan and think this way. Sorry it's just my imagination running wild on me. We dominate them in recruiting just like on the court under Cal.

How many of their players they have "beaten" us far have later been ruled ineligible by the NCAA? You think that's a coincidence?

Also I'm not just talking about 'offering' mutual kids...I'm talking hardcover recruitment of certain mutual kids..like Diallo, Oubre...Wiggins and others.

72-40 last year, twice in 2012 including NC game and we're worried about Kansas getting a couple of recruits?

Reactions: BlueRupp

Murdered us? WTF are you talking about?

Reactions: SosaUK and brianpoe
I don't remember us ever taking a mega recruit from KU late in the recruiting season like they have us on multiple occasions
wow. just wow. Listen to yourself...So, it doesn't matter if we get the mega recruit EARLY, that does not count? and yeah t jones was very early

Overall recruiting = we win.
On the court = we win.
Head to head on the court = we win.
Head to head recruiting = tie??

OP needs to take a TO. Or a nap. Or a long vacation.

Reactions: SosaUK and brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT