ADVERTISEMENT

why do we have such a hard time recruiting against KU?

hahaha, Only 1 recruit that was worth it that we lost. Wiggins. Even without Wiggins, he looked overhyped because Self couldn't coach him. Gets away from Self and he starts back to positive growth.

BANHAMMER.png
I second this nomination all in favor say I

IDK if folks are having a bad day or what, but let's try to make our points within forum guidelines. Thanks.

I don't see how someone couldn't agree that we have lost out on some key big tine recruits to Kansas at inopportune times.

This is gold. There is no civil discussion that needs to take place since the OP has no clue what he is talking about.

Reactions: brianpoe
I don't see how someone couldn't agree that we have lost out on some key big tine recruits to Kansas at inopportune times.

Nobody doesn't agree with that. But you kept narrowing the criteria until it was basically only late season signings where UK and KU were the only two choices.

Ok I'll simplify it. When cal and self both go all in on a recruit Self has owned him. All I was saying is that I don't understand why.

how do you know that Cal and Self are going "all in" on just those 4 or 5 recruits? What about the 20 others Cal. has gotten? How do you know Self was not all in on those? You'RE painting with a broad brush and not making sense.

Your opinion has no basis.

Who has Self stole from Cal? Diallo, Vick, and WIggins? Is that seriously all you got? Do you even count Vick? Was Cal really "all in" on him?

We can definitely say that Bill Self has won 100% of the recruiting battles for players that chose Kansas over Kentucky

Reactions: kyups01
If you're considering Vick a blue chipper, you should be perma-banned! Kid would have gotten mop up duty at UK.

The thing is, Kansas is a good school and a good option for talent. If your goal is the most exposure, the coach with the best track record at getting kids to the league the fastest and winning at an extremely high level; then Kentucky is far and away the best choice. But if UK is not for you (for whatever reason), KU is not a bad 2nd choice.

With that said, I think Self's approach as a good natured, high quality basketball coach (kind of like Huckleberry Williams) jibes with certian kids and especially certain parents. Also, I think some of his staff does a lot of negative recruiting (looking at you, Jerrance). That typically does not work but with some kids and their families it resonates.

I think this year is the exception and we'll see UK recruiting pick up like old times next year, but if not, Calipari will adjust to whatever they are using and counter. He's the best at recruiting for a reason.

Ok, here is another take on this. Coaches put priority on players that they believe will fit into their system. Its entirely possible that Cal is getting the players he feels are the best match. Kansas may be getting players that Call would consider highly desirable but less than a perfect match for our system. Its not a game of keep away, after all.

There's just no data to support that Kansas is getting players we absolutely must have. Even this year, the cupboard is not bare by any stretch. So, I don't think we are getting "owned" whatever the heck that means. If you look at the results, I suppose it means if you lose even one player that some arbitrary recruiting service suggests is better than what you have in the stable, you got owned. Using such a flimsy and short sighted view, I think we are free to conclude everybody owns everybody else.

I'm sure many schools say the same about UK. Kansas is also a blue blood. They get many recruits, as does UK. Win some, lose some.

Diello was the one that stung, not Vick. Vick would NEVER start for Kansas or Kentucky. Solid back up though.

Reactions: KisteK
What's funny about all of this is that Self was on the verge of being Kansas' version of Tubby before that 2012 run to the title game. They had been STRUGGLING big time in recruiting post 2008 title and, after that 2012 run, Self was willing to clean house with the assistants (unlike the Tubster) and rightfully hire Jerrence Howard and Norm Roberts. That's when they started having recruiting success with five stars and particularly with ones that Cal was targeting. Their current success has been more to do with those assistants than Self IMO.

What's funny about all of this is that Self was on the verge of being Kansas' version of Tubby before that 2012 run to the title game. They had been STRUGGLING big time in recruiting post the leftover momentum from the 2008 title and, after that 2012 run, Self was willing to clean house with the assistants (unlike the Tubster) and rightfully hire Jerrence Howard and Norm Roberts. That's when they started having recruiting success with five stars and particularly with ones that Cal was targeting. Their current success has been more to do with those assistants than Self IMO.

Assistants help Calipari too. Losing Coach O and Slice highly damaged recruiting this season.

Wow. This thread is just stupid. Cal has kicked Self's azz in recruiting. How any Kentucky fan can think different is just insane. Self is a pretty good recruiter and has outrecruited Cal on a few guys, but i'll take Cal's results in recruiting over Selfs every time. You can't just pick a few recruits in this battle and say Self has owned Cal.Overall, it's not even close.

Cal has won some, Self has won some. Cal has taken his recruits and did very well on the court while Self's teams have massively underachieved with the exception of the 2011/2012 team that UK easily handled twice.

The OP ignoring recruits Self has lost to Cal reeks of an agenda, I'm not sure what it is, but it is something. Despite people presenting argument after argument of how flawed his argument is...he just ignores it and keeps on borderline trolling.

I remember OP saying Wiggins was going to choose KU because Cal wore a jogging suit to a meeting with the family. That was some good entertainment.

I'm sure many schools say the same about UK. Kansas is also a blue blood. They get many recruits, as does UK. Win some, lose some.

Diello was the one that stung, not Vick. Vick would NEVER start for Kansas or Kentucky. Solid back up though.

The only reason why it stung for me is because it's going to be cringe worthy when KU guards try to pass the ball to him.

It has to be handler situation. No way Diallo will get as easy buckets as he would with Briscoe and Ulis. That's a damn fact.

Unless you're referring to him never starting over Ulis/Briscoe if we went with the 2-PG look, I beg to differ. We could start a JUCO kid who was a 3-star recruit at best coming out of high school some games. Vick is a 4-star talent, I'm sure he could have held his own if it were down to him vs. Mulder or Matthews for a start.

Hell, if Cal wanted to go with a small lineup he could play the 3 (as could Mulder/Matthews) and still compete for a start.

Nonetheless, moot point. We'll never know.

Last edited:
hmmmm, I'm no mathematician, but I think you need to look up the definition of "ironic"

Irony? No. Sarcasm? Sure. Math is stuffed to the gills with sarcasm.

/X just thinks it can get away with murder because it's "unknown".

ADVERTISEMENT