ADVERTISEMENT

What one thing would you change about the football team/program?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
For me, it would be instilling a killer instinct on both sides of the ball. Not taking ridiculous, low percentage risks all the time, but the willingness to keep the foot on the accelerator and proactively win a game rather than holding on for dear life so many times. When we're up by 10 points midway thru the 3rd quarter and we have several drives where we quit doing what was successful and the defense goes more conservative and more zone, I just want to pull my hair out.

Recruiting, new philosophies on both sides of the ball, player development, etc. could all be good choices. But, I'd like to see the willingness to forcefully grab a game by the throat and don't let up. When appropriate, put the backups in and they are aggressive and run the same offense/defense and try to score. Enough with holding on for 'just one more stop' or 'one more first down' types of wins against teams we've had on the ropes and let off.

For me, it would be instilling a killer instinct on both sides of the ball. Not taking ridiculous, low percentage risks all the time, but the willingness to keep the foot on the accelerator and proactively win a game rather than holding on for dear life so many times. When we're up by 10 points midway thru the 3rd quarter and we have several drives where we quit doing what was successful and the defense goes more conservative and more zone, I just want to pull my hair out.

Recruiting, new philosophies on both sides of the ball, player development, etc. could all be good choices. But, I'd like to see the willingness to forcefully grab a game by the throat and don't let up. When appropriate, put the backups in and they are aggressive and run the same offense/defense and try to score. Enough with holding on for 'just one more stop' or 'one more first down' types of wins against teams we've had on the ropes and let off.
Can't add anything to that, but it would take a philosophical change by the head coach and the chances of that are slim and none and slim just left town.

Last year many would argue get rid of Scangerello or Special teams coach....I wasn't as high as many on Coen in 2023 but I would argue Boulware way overperformed the speical teams as a whole. Outside of FG over 50 yards....did we leave points on the board. And got 3 special team TDs.

So with that said....I argue if I got one area. Get rid of Yenser and pay thru the nose for a bigtime OLine coach. We ain't doing nothing under Stoops if we can't run teh ball consistently...and Yenser just has lowered the bar considerably in physicality of trenches and apparantly he can't develop kids very well or recruit from high school ranks. UK is now portal U for Oline which doesn't feel a good direction for me.

Have no problem with any of that, but do you realize that everything you wrote would at the very least mean replacing the head coach?

Playing not to lose is who Stoops is. He is a conservative zone control the ball type of coach. It is his DNA. He couldn't anymore change it than he could change his eye color.

For me I would like to see them clean up the execution portion of the game. Penalties are inevitable but the procedural penalties have cost us game after game. Also to instill a sense of control in his players. Enough jawing and elbow drops. Let your on the field performance do the talking.

I'm not sure what to do about recruiting. With NIL in the picture things are only going to get worse for UK. I can tell you that when you run a nickel defense you better have good CBs and safeties. We do not. Also linebackers will not be lining up in mass to join any conservative defense. They want to smash shit, not play coverage.

And stop hiring your damn buddies for assistants. Try to find someone competent for a change.

200.gif

Have no problem with any of that, but do you realize that everything you wrote would at the very least mean replacing the head coach?

Playing not to lose is who Stoops is. He is a conservative zone control the ball type of coach. It is his DNA. He couldn't anymore change it than he could change his eye color.

For me I would like to see them clean up the execution portion of the game. Penalties are inevitable but the procedural penalties have cost us game after game. Also to instill a sense of control in his players. Enough jawing and elbow drops. Let your on the field performance do the talking.

I'm not sure what to do about recruiting. With NIL in the picture things are only going to get worse for UK. I can tell you that when you run a nickel defense you better have good CBs and safeties. We do not. Also linebackers will not be lining up in mass to join any conservative defense. They want to smash shit, not play coverage.

And stop hiring your damn buddies for assistants. Try to find someone competent for a change.

I would argue he can change…

Nick Saban coached Bama the same way as Stoops his first several years as well. Before anyone misreads the comparison, I am NOT saying Stoops and Saban are equal…only the aspect that they both coached in a similar philosophy to win with “defense wins championships” / ball control offense. I know Saban won multiple national championships that way, but that doesn’t mean his philosophy was all that different.

The difference was he had elite, ELITE talent so he could do it and win…until he didn’t. Then, he changed his philosophy to become more aggressive on offense.

I know he hasn’t won as much, but I would argue I think he would have 1-2 less championships if he had never changed.

2 things:

1. New philosophy for general game and clock management at the end of 1st half. Whatever we are currently doing isn’t working.

2. Not slowing the game down on offense and playing soft coverage on defense when we have the lead (playing not to lose).

Reactions: gamecockcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT