ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest day in the history of Kentucky's program

wildcatcorner

Senior
Mar 16, 2004
What's one more thread? Also, is Maui back on the table now?

Edit to say:

That comment irked me. Even still, I was a big Calipari supporter. He started making deep runs into the tournament, so who was I to argue with his philosophy? And you will never be able to convince me some of those tournament losses weren't at least partially due to John Higgins.

But, Calipari started making it even more glaringly obvious he didn't care about how the program did, only about how many players had a cup of coffee on their way to the NBA. It took me way too long to catch onto that one. I think I just didn't want to admit it.

Ever since NIL and the immediate transfer portal became a thing, it became apparent this "get the best athletes for a year and overwhelm the opponents" strategy wasn't working anymore. And the fact he refused to change, even refusing to switch up defenses or starting lineups. I stopped going to games and started selling as many of my season tickets as I could, some for a big loss.

St Peters was the REAL beginning of the end for me. I was "done" after that, but I got dragged back in. Kansas State wasn't a terrible loss, but it was unacceptable to not make it past the first weekend. I'm all about 2nd and 3rd chances. The preseason hype. The legacy players. This past season was final 4 or bust.

Bust it was. We had all seen that game before. Can't pull away, let the inferior team hang around. Performance of a lifetime from the opposing player that should have been scouted. Early on, we all probably really knew what the result was going to be. We felt it. Something finally switched for me. I was DONE done. So much so I was going to either let my tickets go in a show of defiance, or unload all my tickets to a "broker" (as luck would have it, I met a client of my wife's on Saturday that does this with someone they personally know and can vouch for, I had their number ready to text for information this morning).

But, it's over. Just like the closing scenes of a movie, where the characters start picking up the pieces and moving on, we too can begin to gather up our own pieces and put the past behind us.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKMKG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT