ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed rule change

How about on any reach in foul in the last minute, the offensive team gets one point and a chance to make a second.

If you whistle for flagrant, then teams are going to make them FLAGRANT.

Also, if you want excitement, getting rid of foul strategy won't help. 4 point leads become insurmountable. Heck 1 point leads after 30 seconds are over. Yeah, the 3 point lead scenario is harder, but that's sacrificing 10 percent for 90 percent.

This really seems like rules to correct semantics more than make the game better.
Yeah, although I do think they should get a flagrant if it's excessive

I’ll one up you. Make it a technical foul. Free throws and the ball. That would fix it quick.

The problem with this is it favors a team that is hotter at the end of the game than the earlier part of the game. Let's say Kentucky has been leading a game the whole way, but someone important fouls out with about 4 minutes to go with UK up 78-75. Now they say first team to 86 wins. If we are able to run our offense and get a few stops, we shoot free throws and win by 8. But if it is just who can score more faster, it puts us at a disadvantage because we are a player down and they are hotter. I think you should honor the entire game.
I don't understand your position. The point of the Elam Ending IS to make teams run their offense and get stops. It DOES honor the entire game instead of turning it into a FT shooting contest.

I don't understand your position. The point of the Elam Ending IS to make teams run their offense and get stops. It DOES honor the entire game instead of turning it into a FT shooting contest.
what I'm saying is that if my team is up say 5 with a minute to go, have been the whole game, then lose a player that fouled out. Now, the chances of another team scoring 17 before I score 12 is more likely and discounts the fact that I've been winning the whole game. Otherwise, they have to foul the players I have in, I make my free throws and win.

Only rule I want to see looked at is the goaltending review rule. It's been a huge clusterf*ck all year. They made the rule because we got screwed by not having it. Now we get screwed because we do have it 90% of the time. Something needs to change.

There needs to be an immediate review on all goaltending calls. None of this waiting until a timeout to do it. We've had fast breaks stopped, rebounds lost, easy basket opportunities eliminated, points given incorrectly to the other team, and points taken away from us because of the new rule and how it's been used.

what I'm saying is that if my team is up say 5 with a minute to go, have been the whole game, then lose a player that fouled out. Now, the chances of another team scoring 17 before I score 12 is more likely and discounts the fact that I've been winning the whole game. Otherwise, they have to foul the players I have in, I make my free throws and win.
I've read that multiple times and it still makes zero sense. The Elam Ending starts at the first dead ball past the 4 minute mark. If you're up by 5 and lose your best player, so what? You've got to play on regardless if you have a 30 second shot clock or the Elam Ending and your opponent has plenty of opportunities to catch you. Your argument is meaningless. The Elam Ending makes you continue to play basketball, and just like it is now, there will be teams that blow leads and can't close a game out.

Did you see the end of the BYU v TTU game today? BYU was down double digits and tried to make it a FT shooting contest in the last 3 minutes. They never got it to single digits and the last three minutes took 15+ minutes to complete. The Elam Ending eliminates crap like that.

I've read that multiple times and it still makes zero sense. The Elam Ending starts at the first dead ball past the 4 minute mark. If you're up by 5 and lose your best player, so what? You've got to play on regardless if you have a 30 second shot clock or the Elam Ending and your opponent has plenty of opportunities to catch you. Your argument is meaningless. The Elam Ending makes you continue to play basketball, and just like it is now, there will be teams that blow leads and can't close a game out.

Did you see the end of the BYU v TTU game today? BYU was down double digits and tried to make it a FT shooting contest in the last 3 minutes. They never got it to single digits and the last three minutes took 15+ minutes to complete. The Elam Ending eliminates crap like that.
While I agree that it eliminates the long end to games, if it wasn't a free throw fest, if BYU was hotter than TT at that point and TT had lost an important player to foul trouble, BYU had a better chance to come back. That is my only point. I think the team winning at 4 minutes can have the advantage of getting "free" throws to close the game out. I realize that the shot clock is still the winning team's friend at that point.

While I agree that it eliminates the long end to games, if it wasn't a free throw fest, if BYU was hotter than TT at that point and TT had lost an important player to foul trouble, BYU had a better chance to come back. That is my only point. I think the team winning at 4 minutes can have the advantage of getting "free" throws to close the game out. I realize that the shot clock is still the winning team's friend at that point.
If...if...if...you still have to close the game out regardless of your foul issues.

If...if...if...you still have to close the game out regardless of your foul issues.
you can close it out at the foul line without the proposed rule. Sounds like we just disagree. I'm fine with that. I think both rules have their merit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT