ADVERTISEMENT

What do you think about the idiot dentist that killed Cecil?

Ridiculous. Raw meat on a vehicle to lure him out of a protected area, shot him with a bow, followed for 40 hours before finishing him off, then attempted to illegally destroy the tracking collar he was wearing - meaning they knew exactly what they were doing (even if they didn't know that this lion was particularly famous). He should be extradited if they request it, imo.

I think that there are babies being harvested for their body parts but all anyone cares about is a lion that got shot.

It sucks that it happened but it is what it is. An animal dying.

One actually happened, the other is a fantasy of the right.

The guy obviously has money, since he committed career suicide, he will need it.

I hope the 2 guides do time for it. I think there is a reasonable chance the dentist was duped. Yes, he is a complete ass of a person, but that's not illegal.

The craziest thing is the comments people are leaving on Yelp. They all boil down to "killing is wrong so I hope someone kills you.":(

So what about Tom Selleck, Tom Brokaw, Kid Rock, Madonna, Roger Waters, etc. etc.----all have hunted either big game and/or animals and birds they didn't eat. Should they all be ostracized? Called out for their immoral deeds? How about Steven Spielberg, seen posing with one of his kills. Should his movies be banned from the Cinemas and TV? At what point is social media taking it too far?

Spielberg_650.jpg

So what about Tom Selleck, Tom Brokaw, Kid Rock, Madonna, Roger Waters, etc. etc.----all have hunted either big game and/or animals and birds they didn't eat. Should they all be ostracized? Called out for their immoral deeds? How about Steven Spielberg, seen posing with one of his kills. Should his movies be banned from the Cinemas and TV? At what point is social media taking it too far?

Did they intentionally lure the animal off of a protected reserve with raw meat, then attempt to destroy the tracking device it was wearing?

This isn't apples to apples.

Initially, I supported the dentist. I believed he had been duped by the guides. But then I saw that he had been in trouble before for shooting a bear. So, he has lost all credibility for me. I hope he at the very least, gets a heavy, heavy fine. Wouldn't mind seeing him do some time in an African jail.

I do disagree with putting out his address and picture. That is just asking for some nut to try and kill him.

And like the poster above, I find it difficult to understand how so many can be so upset about killing a lion but seemingly have no issue with plan parenthood selling baby body parts.:(

I think trophy hunting is completely ridiculous and stupid, and I think the guy is an idiot an unfortunately might have ruined a career he spent decades working at, ultimately to help people, so that's a shame.

But even more annoying than this guy is the new social media outrage to everything. I'm pretty sure there are probably like 35 african child soldiers being murdered right now, and nobody could give a rat's ass. There are probably like 3 lions being killed now too for that matter, but Cecil the Lion had a name, so everyone is going to act like its one of the greater injustices in the world.

The mess he made of killing that lion I wouldn't want him grinding away at my teeth.

Last edited:
Last edited:
1. I don't mind hunting. I think it's a useful skill.

2. I don't like the idea of hunting for trophies. If you are going to kill a deer, then eat the deer.....or donate it to a needy family, etc. I do know that many of these African Safari companies will donate the meat to poor local tribes. But mostly the hunter is just out for "an experience."

3. The guides knew what they were doing, broke the law knowingly, and need to be punished accordingly.

4. The dentist possibly didn't know what was going on. It's possible he's just a ponce who kills for trophy.

I don't have a problem with trophy killing as long as it's legal, but this guy (or the guides, whatever) basically stole a source of ecotourism from the general public due to the unique nature of this particular lion. If you go into Sequoia NP and chop down the world's tallest tree, could you be held liable for the lost tourism revenue?

In all seriousness, it's sad and messed up but at the same time, why doesn't anyone bat an eye at abortion or the current scandal with Planned Parenthood?

Seems inconsistent.

Eyes batting, but you didn't even discuss police killings or human trafficking in a thread unrelated to either?

Seems inconsistent.

What?

I'm pointing out how so many of the population are troubled by this but somehow are not near as upset about what Planned Parenthood does and EVERYONE is upset about police killings and sex trafficking. I don't know a ton of people who support those issues so I don't see how your post is relevant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT