ADVERTISEMENT

Having to put your cell phone in a locked bag at an event

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
Edited for shortness or entropy. Want to use your phone in a show? FU

I just got back from seeing Dylan and when you went in, they wrote your seat numbers on a piece of a paper and that was how you found your seats. After that, they scanned your tickets and then they made sure your phone was on silent, put it in a bag and locked it. They didn't take if from you, just made sure you couldn't use it. On the way out, you put the ball locking it in their mechanical thing, it unlocked the bag and you pulled your phone out.

The only thing that bothered me was I'm kind of OCD about the time and I don't wear a watch because I use my phone for a clock.
Is Bob Dylan losing that much money to You Tube that this is necessary?
Sounds like a lawsuit to happen.

The show was really good. Bob didn't do a ton but they surrounded him with some good musicians and Bob did what he did.

Last edited:
A lot of comedians and musicians are starting to do it. Their product is already completely pirated, as in clips you like on their on social are almost never licensed but everyone uses them freely and they get no money.

There are podcasts clips stolen and used out of context all the time to represent a product the person never endorsed nor was paid, see; Rogan, Joe.

You can’t blame them or expect to be able to use your phone. Obviously if you don’t like it or won’t do it, just don’t go, no biggie.

Just would advise parents to have a third party for kids to contact.

Couldn't you just hold a burner in your hand, and give THAT to them? Meanwhile, your Iphone Max 14 pro V gold edition blah blah blah is in your hip pocket?

OR, you could comply with the artist's wishes, which is HIS or HER right, and, if unwilling to do so, not attend.

Also, rogue brought up an interesting point, about parents (or anyone really) needing a way to be contacted, and with the myriad capabilities that cell phones have now, you're going to start seeing more of this stuff.

That is why digital pagers are slowly starting to make a comeback. They're cheap, allowed everywhere, and don't suffer from cell congestion at large events.

Last edited:
I dig it. The worst part about going to concerts nowadays is having every single person in the venue holding up their stupid phones to record b-rate footage with distorted audio.

Concerts were a lot more fun before smartphones.

Old man finished yelling at cloud.

I dig it. The worst part about going to concerts nowadays is having every single person in the venue holding up their stupid phones to record b-rate footage with distorted audio.

Concerts were a lot more fun before smartphones.

Old man finished yelling at cloud.
It's SORT of old man yelling at cloud, but not so much.

It's a valid point. Concerts are a way for people to come together, pool their finanacial resources, in order to entice a musical artist to perform. And listen to the music that I assume everyone enjoys.

As you said, the constant jockeying for position, arms outstretched, to get a better angle for the video they're going to post on social media is annoying as FVCK. It's completely selfish behaviour, and half of them probably don't know 2 damn songs by the act they're filming. They just want to "BE THERE", and absorb the social media adoration for "BEING THERE"

Sometimes, old men yelling at clouds = telling people to get indoors because they're too stupid to get out of the rain...

They did this for Bill Burr in when I saw him in New Hampshire a couple months ago.

Huge pain in the ass and took like 45 mins waiting in like while everyone was getting the locked bag.

You can’t give a burner and hold onto your “real” phone. They make you go through a metal detector too so you can’t get away with it.

I guess I get it…Burr said that he was filming a new comedy special with the material for NetFlix and didn’t want anyone uploading the whole show on YouTube first.

Reactions: roguemocha
Edited for shortness or entropy. Want to use your phone in a show? FU

I just got back from seeing Dylan and when you went in, they wrote your seat numbers on a piece of a paper and that was how you found your seats. After that, they scanned your tickets and then they made sure your phone was on silent, put it in a bag and locked it. They didn't take if from you, just made sure you couldn't use it. On the way out, you put the ball locking it in their mechanical thing, it unlocked the bag and you pulled your phone out.

The only thing that bothered me was I'm kind of OCD about the time and I don't wear a watch because I use my phone for a clock.
Is Bob Dylan losing that much money to You Tube that this is necessary?
Sounds like a lawsuit to happen.

The show was really good. Bob didn't do a ton but they surrounded him with some good musicians and Bob did what he did.
In Colombia when you go to an event they divide the men and women, check you and make you take off and leave your belt. You can pick it up on the way out.

Couldn't you just hold a burner in your hand, and give THAT to them? Meanwhile, your Iphone Max 14 pro V gold edition blah blah blah is in your hip pocket?

OR, you could comply with the artist's wishes, which is HIS or HER right, and, if unwilling to do so, not attend.

Also, rogue brought up an interesting point, about parents (or anyone really) needing a way to be contacted, and with the myriad capabilities that cell phones have now, you're going to start seeing more of this stuff.

That is why digital pagers are slowly starting to make a comeback. They're cheap, allowed everywhere, and don't suffer from cell congestion at large events.
I miss the pager days! Also I know some may not like it at least people are enjoying the show, like they are supposed to. Every time I see a show where phones are allowed people are watching it thru their phone. Totally lame.

The two problems I have with it are safety issues of not having a phone for women, children and libs in the politics thread who go to concerts.. and how much longer it makes the entry process.

Other than that, whatever.

Not having your phone for a few hours is a lot like working out: you might not want to do it. But when it's done, you never feel bad about it. We gave up our phones for a John Mulaney show and it was honestly nice to disconnect.

Reactions: Fox2monk
bob-dylan-dylan.gif

Reactions: ukalum1988
You can have smartwatch and earpiece? Or are those confiscated too? If not answer the phone.

Has anybody ever gone back and watched the video of a concert? It's gotta be like less than 1%. Hell, I'd argue I don't look at 1% of the photos I take. The zero marginal cost of taking a photo or video is a problem.

-If you have women and children that can’t survive on their own for two hours why are you leaving them alone and not with them?

Why haven’t they learned how to survive without you or why didn’t you pay for a sitter?

Probably cause y’all raising them titty babies that can’t do anything but holler from their room when they want something and only take headphones out when you make them….

-You take a couple vids/pics for a post or reel then delete them, at least I do anyway.

But yes, no one wants to watch more than about 10 seconds of a video of a concert from your phone that they weren’t at anyway. Half the time it’s just like a photo album for myself and I post it so I have it saved and can go back and watch whenever I want.

Smart watches are ghay anyway. He look my phone in my pocket is now also on my wrist so even on silent I get all my notifications…. Ghay.

I have my phone on silent almost 24/7, who really needs to be in contact with the world after office hours anyway except for kids?

-If you have women and children that can’t survive on their own for two hours why are you leaving them alone and not with them?

Why haven’t they learned how to survive without you or why didn’t you pay for a sitter?

Probably cause y’all raising them titty babies that can’t do anything but holler from their room when they want something and only take headphones out when you make them….

-You take a couple vids/pics for a post or reel then delete them, at least I do anyway.

But yes, no one wants to watch more than about 10 seconds of a video of a concert from your phone that they weren’t at anyway. Half the time it’s just like a photo album for myself and I post it so I have it saved and can go back and watch whenever I want.

Smart watches are ghay anyway. He look my phone in my pocket is now also on my wrist so even on silent I get all my notifications…. Ghay.

I have my phone on silent almost 24/7, who really needs to be in contact with the world after office hours anyway except for kids?
I swear man, kids these days can’t do anything. I look back to even my generation(38) and we were so far advanced in what we did as kids that it’s insane. No surprise with how insane the world is now.

I swear man, kids these days can’t do anything. I look back to even my generation(38) and we were so far advanced in what we did as kids that it’s insane. No surprise with how insane the world is now.
Dude, they’re so attached to their phone they can’t live without it.

Nothing to do with religion but it reminds me of Mark 8:36 “what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?”

With a phone you get access to the world but you can never free yourself of the device, you don’t hold your phone, your phone holds you.

The only issue I would have with it is an emergency. You want to find out 2 hours later that your kid is in the hospital on life support and may not make it because of an accident? By the time you found out, you might not be able to see them in time. They used to have them at my daughter's school but they got rid of them last year. Probably because of school shootings and fear of parents not being able to get a hold of their kids.

Seems like the best idea would be to come up with some kind of jamming technology that keeps cameras from picking up the comedian/musician/band on stage. I'm sure there's some kind of technology that could keep cameras from picking up an image or audio. Probably already have it, but might be owned by the government.

A lot of comedians and musicians are starting to do it. Their product is already completely pirated, as in clips you like on their on social are almost never licensed but everyone uses them freely and they get no money.

There are podcasts clips stolen and used out of context all the time to represent a product the person never endorsed nor was paid, see; Rogan, Joe.

You can’t blame them or expect to be able to use your phone. Obviously if you don’t like it or won’t do it, just don’t go, no biggie.

Just would advise parents to have a third party for kids to contact.
Big part of the reason comedians are doing this is for working on new material. Rogan bans phones at his club for that reason. There are events that get filmed but they don't want someone worried that a joke came off wayyy wrong and people go online and try to cancel them... see Hinchcliffe and Gillis.

That’s partially true as well. But I don’t think most of those guys give a shit about that, they’re almost uncancelable at this point.

They tried Rogan and Gillis and both doubled their money, Gillis probably 25 fold.

They want you to have to come to the club to see them. More money, more eyes in person which ALL of them will say it’s just not the same on tv as it is live and they’re right. They want you in person, not watching on YouTube with a terrible video.

That’s partially true as well. But I don’t think most of those guys give a shit about that, they’re almost uncancelable at this point.

They tried Rogan and Gillis and both doubled their money, Gillis probably 25 fold.

They want you to have to come to the club to see them. More money, more eyes in person which ALL of them will say it’s just not the same on tv as it is live and they’re right. They want you in person, not watching on YouTube with a terrible video.
I think they would like to get monetized on YT or tiktok when their stuff hits for sure... but they see the promotion from those as a benefit to their fanbase. Going to a club is one thing but these guys want to fill auditoriums and theaters. Most of those guys are telling young guys to put their first 1 or 2 specials on YT for free now because getting your name out there is better than waiting for Hollywood to make you famous.

Gillis got famous off YT. Gilly and Keeves was what got Shane noticed first. But Joes talked about not wanting people to see them actually making new comedy. It's not the polished sets they worry about leaking as much as the spitballing and doing the "let me see, let me see" looking for a funny way to work around an issue. I would agree they don't want leaks when they are promoting a new tour like Chapelle.

The podcast trend by comedians has driven more people to comedy clubs than anything since cocaine in the 80's. Matt Rife got famous by making tiktok shorts of his sets and then got Netflix to pay him a ton of money for a special.

I just think it's the fear of someone who wasn't even at a show getting offended by a joke that a dude has only worked on for a couple hours.

They did this for Bill Burr in when I saw him in New Hampshire a couple months ago.

Huge pain in the ass and took like 45 mins waiting in like while everyone was getting the locked bag.

You can’t give a burner and hold onto your “real” phone. They make you go through a metal detector too so you can’t get away with it.

I guess I get it…Burr said that he was filming a new comedy special with the material for NetFlix and didn’t want anyone uploading the whole show on YouTube first.

In these scenarios it makes total sense because that material can devalue a special to the point where the entire format just dies.

Music I don't understand. Ya people who phone film the entire thing are dumb but they paid the money. If they want to waste it looking through a phone - so what. Plus music quality is so poor via those recordings it doesn't have a negative impact on the value of the content.

Reactions: tommyg4uk
A couple of times recently in Vegas at Dolby Live for concerts. Pretty seamless operation getting your phone bag unlocked there. Can't speak for other places.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT