ADVERTISEMENT

What Are You Mad At!?

I only stay mad about NCAA tournament losses for more than a couple hours now. I’m over regular season losses by the next morning. I used to stew about every loss for days until the next win. If there was a losing streak, I’d be pissed for days on end.

It took my non-sports watching wife shaming me with “Is being an asshole to everyone around you because of game you didn’t play in or can’t control the outcome in any way helping any?” She was right.

Last night stung really bad with the way we lost (blowing the lead, getting it back, losing at the buzzer). I just sat in stunned silence for a few minutes, turned off the TV, went on a brief cussing tirade directed at the refs and Cal and went to sleep. I would say I’m maddest at Cal/the team blowing the big lead in less than 5 minutes and for some blatantly horrible officiating in the second half.

I get up on mornings like these and am just generally pissed. Mad at the refs. Mad at Cal. Mad that other teams’ no-stars continue to defeat our “NBA” players. I’m mad at myself for being mad. I just want to be numb but don’t know how. Anybody got any pointers for matching my emotion to the teams results? For those that are able to just go on whistling, what’s the trick?
Well when you get to be 68 you don't give a crap anymore. Losses come easier especially since Cal got his lifetime contract and you know UK has no recourse.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Record the games and only watch if they win.
I’ve heard this is the path to freedom. I try to do this but I ALWAYS know when we are playing and I can’t keep myself from checking the score. And once I do that a few times I’m sucked in and I may as well watch.

I'm not mad at anyone or at all. Sports, Kentucky or otherwise, could become non-existent and I wouldn't miss a beat. They are simply a form of entertainment. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of life. Now, having said that, I will watch Kentucky play football and basketball every time they play. GO CATS !!

I feel the answers in this thread. From apathy, to disappointment, to it's just not a priority in life anymore, to anger because it easily shouldn't be like this with seemingly simple fixes. It's a lot of things.

The one thing I know is that, when it comes down to it, this is no longer Kentucky basketball, and Cal is the cause. I don't know if I can check out totally, but it seems like it's becoming a possibility. And it breaks my heart.

Reactions: NostraDanis
I get up on mornings like these and am just generally pissed. Mad at the refs. Mad at Cal. Mad that other teams’ no-stars continue to defeat our “NBA” players. I’m mad at myself for being mad. I just want to be numb but don’t know how. Anybody got any pointers for matching my emotion to the teams results? For those that are able to just go on whistling, what’s the trick?
it was a hard fought game
our team made some unforced turnovers they normally do not make
i very seldom complain about officiating, but that was one of the worst officiated games i have ever witnessed
we should have won the game

Well when you get to be 68 you don't give a crap anymore. Losses come easier especially since Cal got his lifetime contract and you know UK has no recourse.
I'm at that same age and absolutely give a crap. If you didn't give a crap why are you here and posting? All of this is so unacceptable and I do get the apathy since the only control we have is none except to post here. Seeing the same coaching decisions (or lack thereof) year to year and expecting a different result is so frustrating.

go through a shitty divorce with a bipolar, drug addicted, gaslighting, narcissist... that'll numb you, to almost everything

I am past mad, I am into acceptance..."it is, what it is". I fear football is going to be using this same path...

I feel the answers in this thread. From apathy, to disappointment, to it's just not a priority in life anymore, to anger because it easily shouldn't be like this with seemingly simple fixes. It's a lot of things.

The one thing I know is that, when it comes down to it, this is no longer Kentucky basketball, and Cal is the cause. I don't know if I can check out totally, but it seems like it's becoming a possibility. And it breaks my heart.
I'll never check out. I love this program too much to do that. But you're right. This isn't Kentucky basketball. It's time for the snake oil salesman to hit the road. We need to restore the glory we once had because it's never coming back with Cal here.

I will never be mad at refs at the end of the game because I feel that if you do enough things right, the refs RARELY matter in terms of W's and L's. If you are the type of coach who loves close games, then yeah the judge is going to decide.

I'm at that same age and absolutely give a crap. If you didn't give a crap why are you here and posting? All of this is so unacceptable and I do get the apathy since the only control we have is none except to post here. Seeing the same coaching decisions (or lack thereof) year to year and expecting a different result is so frustrating.
Why give a crap anymore, we have overpaid idiots as AD and Coach. Nothing is going to change until Cal leaves. So why get stressed out about something you have no control over.

I get upset but not sure I would use the word "stressed" though. Upset because I loved our program, it was special, historically significant, a legacy, the elite quality of college basketball. Sure there would be some upsets or disappointments but they were more of the rarity. Playing at our home court was an intimidating thing for other schools. Well so many blue blood traits we all know and respected about out program.

We see other programs like Kansas and Duke (rivals) continue to generally do well, or some programs to consistently over-achieve. Then, we see Cal landing these high level recruits with all kinds of expectations that flop year after year. True we can't do anything about it other than complain. But, the hope is that this along with other media pressure it does somehow lead to change.

Or you can check out.

You know what REALLY makes me angry?

The fact that there are still Cal supporters out there. I see no justification for it.
I am with you. How anyone can step back and objectively look at the past few years and think Cal is doing what is best for both UK and the players is beyond me. I don’t care who coaches at UK so long as he puts the priorities of the UK program first.

Yep. I used to be so angry after losses that my mood would start affecting those around me. 2015 changed that for me. I'm getting too old to be flying off the hook about a game played by teens and twentysomethings.

Too busy as well. Got work and a wife and a 5 year old. I also have a ton of other hobbies I enjoy other than this. And when its all said and done I don't want to be a bad example to my son. So many fans make sports their lives and let it dictate mood and cause family drama. I too hung that up in 2015. Never again.

I post on here a ton because I work remote and also find the posters on here good sports fans to discuss the team with. Don't post on message boards for any of my pro teams. I am a Catsillustrated.com addict though.

I’m pissed that I made this important. I got so use to getting together with friends. Going to pub or bar. You can even go alone as a Kentucky fan. It is like family. But it seems that experience has disappeared. And we didn’t have to always win. But people cared. Especially the coaches cared. And we got to know players. I think college game is all but dead.

Let’s see. — COW, CCC, Cowiprarie, The so-called head coach. - take your pick
Fan since 1969 and I will be happy with most any coach who has a pulse and replaces this clown as long as he puts the program first!

Not mad at anyone. Disappointed in a loss and hope to get back on track Sat.

Everyone at UK is trying to win.

Why be mad?

I’m not really mad, I like Cal, think he is a good dude, but I am sad and apathetic.

Some of it is his stubbornness, some are bad breaks related to injuries or global pandemics, we’ve had unanimously highly rated recruits become bust after bust and they still don’t stick around to develop. I don’t think Cal is entirely at fault for that either, not all top prospects are created equal but we’ve definitely gotten the worst of the best rated lately.

It’s just sad to watch, UK ball feels differently now. I don’t know what the right answer is to fix it, it feels like we’re stuck.

So for now, and I mean for the near future, I plan to continue to watch and support the team but it certainly is becoming harder to do so. But for the first time that I can remember I’ve actually contemplated not watching, and that feels pretty shitty.

It’s also sad to see so many of my fellow fans so down in the dumps for so long. I still think a lot of you are aloof and crazy, but the general consensus in my circle is now of apathy.

I asked my wife last night why she doesn’t watch with me any more and she just said eh, it’s different now, and it’s not fun.

I'm mad at those who grow fat and happy on the back of BBN's misery without being held responsible in any real, tangible way.
Cappiluto
Barnhart
Cal
Officiating in all of college ball
The vultures who profit as high school "insiders" turning young people into market options. (These are the people Cal pleases and makes promises to)
Networks who show college games between 2 teams in the eastern time zone in the middle of the night.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
The age of the college basketball dynasties is over. NIL and the transfer portal have seen to that.

If you’re still upset over basketball the next day, then you need to have more going on in your life. I’m a big fan of Kentucky basketball. But as I get older, I don’t let it dictate my mood for very long. I’m a little upset after a loss. But I don’t visually show it like I use to. And after a couple hours and especially the next day, I’m completely fine and focused on my work, family, health and things that truly matter in life.
You’ll drive yourself crazy if Kentucky basketball really dictates your mood and your overall enjoyment of life. That’s a terrible way to live. Find more to do and be grateful for

I get your point and mostly #metoo but my Dad used to tell me to rub my mad spot..... (Bring that back up now and again...) ;)

Maybe I'm an entitled millennial, but I'm mad because I feel like we (UK fan base) deserve so much better than this. There is so much passion from this fan base that only a small number of other universities can match. We deserve a coach and administration that does everything in their power to have UK at the top. It's just not happening though, and that's why I'm mad.

Think a lot of fans are with you on this. It’s just frustrating.

I'm not mad anymore. Apathy set in years ago.
This is exactly where I am headed unfortunately. When the Coach of a team puts the individuals and himself over winning and the University it is a sad state of affairs. Add in that he has no sense of game flow or how the current game is played stylistically it becomes just that much more careless.

Reactions: ala_kat2
Today, I’m mad at all the stats coming out about how The $9 Million Dollar Man refuses to play his most effective lineups. Other than general trolling (I think his ego won’t allow it), it’s either incompetence or recruiting promises. Maybe a combination of both.

We know he’ll make changes when it’s benching Wheeler for Wallace, bringing Darius Miller off the bench, playing Poythress behind Randle, etc. All smart plays BTW. But obviously Wagner and Edwards aren’t “dogs” as we were all told before the season. They’re mentally weak and benching them would cause each to fold. Especially Wagner, the son of the Original One and Done who isn’t in the same galaxy as his father (and yes I realize I need to change my avatar).

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Honestly stopped giving enough of a shit to get really mad. I mean I was raised on UK ball so it’s kinda always there, I just had to teach myself to tone that down to disappointment.

But if I had to pick one thing, it’s Calipari. If you give this roster to Bill Self, Dan Hurley, Mark Few, even Scott Drew, this team is 21-5 at worst.
24-2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT