ADVERTISEMENT

What Are You Mad At!?

Random UK Fan

Sophomore
Dec 10, 2018
I get up on mornings like these and am just generally pissed. Mad at the refs. Mad at Cal. Mad that other teams’ no-stars continue to defeat our “NBA” players. I’m mad at myself for being mad. I just want to be numb but don’t know how. Anybody got any pointers for matching my emotion to the teams results? For those that are able to just go on whistling, what’s the trick?

Last edited:
Honestly stopped giving enough of a shit to get really mad. I mean I was raised on UK ball so it’s kinda always there, I just had to teach myself to tone that down to disappointment.

But if I had to pick one thing, it’s Calipari. If you give this roster to Bill Self, Dan Hurley, Mark Few, even Scott Drew, this team is 21-5 at worst.

I'm not mad anymore.

Teach me!

tumblr_n9hycbSxEo1rey868o1_500.gif

I’m mad that we have 3 of the most well rounded exciting offensive players in college basketball (Reeves, Sheppard, and Dilly) and rather than lean into those 3 on the floor for 36+ minutes per game, we’re dicking around with other dudes because Cal doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Meanwhile he’s dropping games and has an entire fanbase pissed at him for gross incompetency. But we aren’t a 5 star player so he doesn’t GAF.

It’s just the realization that even when he has the roster, he can’t do anything with it. There have been a couple seasons where some dudes we absolutely needed to be studs ended up being flops, and while Cal is partially to blame, sometimes the scouts just miss. But this year, we have enough with Reeves, Sheppard, and Dilly alone to make some serious noise and he is fumbling it.

I get PISSED during the games and I don't enjoy the experience at all. Now I don't throw stuff or anything but I'm just tense. I prefer to watch by myself. I am always super busy so I prefer to play early in the day to get it over with. I don't have time to sit in front of the TV much. I will not watch a game live on a saturday evening. It's saturday night, that time is for me and the wife/kids.

The next morning, I will think about the game when I wake up but once I've had a shower I'm generally over it. It's just ball man. It's a bunch of kids I don't know playing ball on my TV. It's entertainment. If it fails to entertain you then head to your next avenue for entertainment until the next game. My best advice is don't carry this stuff around with you. Absolutely nothing positive will come from it. Fill your day with stuff that actually matters.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I get up on mornings like these and am just generally pissed. Mad at the refs. Mad at Cal. Mad that other teams’ no-stars continue to defeat our “NBA” players. I’m mad at myself for being mad. I just want to be numb but don’t know how. Anybody got any pointers for matching my emotion to the teams results? For those that are able to just go on whistling, what’s the trick?
The trick is knowing that once Cal leaves there is a chance UK returns to glory.

The fact that our offense for the most part is just one on one crap, and it took one hell of a one on one performance at the end to keep the Cats in the game.

I get up on mornings like these and am just generally pissed. Mad at the refs. Mad at Cal. Mad that other teams’ no-stars continue to defeat our “NBA” players. I’m mad at myself for being mad. I just want to be numb but don’t know how. Anybody got any pointers for matching my emotion to the teams results? For those that are able to just go whistling, what’s the trick?
Great self-reflection question for the fan base.

I am pissed that we have a coach in a competitive sport that no longer will coach his team in a way that he knows gives it the best chance to win. By that I mean he deliberately puts the interest of particular players ahead of making the team the best it can be. Examples from this year:

(1) At the 1, 2 and 3, we could start and play 2 NBA first round picks and a 1st or 2nd Team AA all of whom are shooting 44%+ from 3 and and approx 50% overall. No other team in college basketball has anything near that. They should be playing 32+ minutes every game. Cal’s not stupid and knows that. Instead, he plays other guys at those positions for major minutes to protect their draft status, their egos, etc.

(2) With the above talent, instead of spreading the floor and letting these guys drive it or shoot it, he sticks a 7 footer that can’t score in the paint area that brings a help defender to shut off drives. Watch AL this coming Saturday - there will be nobody in the paint area on offense. Why does he do it? He has to protect draft status and egos.

(3) He has an absolute warrior that plays physical and plays to win but wasn’t highly-touted out of high school. He’s the guy to build a team around and be the example in terms of competitive and no fear attitude. He is the first guy Cal pulls from the lineup when other players are healthy.

I could go on but my main point is that Cal is grossly misusing this roster and it’s not because he doesn’t know better. It is because he has an agenda regarding certain players every year that is equally as important to him as winning. So that’s what I am pissed about.

I'm mad at Leo for not caring
I'm mad at Mitch for being fearful
I'm mad at the board for being too rich and complacent
Cal is an afterthought with me

Reactions: Catfan2226
I stopped going to games and wasting my money. I've stopped watching the shitshow on TV. I listen to Tom call it but can easily turn off the radio. It's not fun anymore, and I'm a lifelong UK fan. I love the Cats but I can't settle for mediocrity. It doesn't matter how I feel or what I say because until the powers that be at UK wake the hell up and realize the program is caught up in a shitstorm, nothing will change. I keep my money and go on about my life and will wait for this joke of a coach to leave.

I’m mad that we have 3 of the most well rounded exciting offensive players in college basketball (Reeves, Sheppard, and Dilly) and rather than lean into those 3 on the floor for 36+ minutes per game, we’re dicking around with other dudes because Cal doesn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Meanwhile he’s dropping games and has an entire fanbase pissed at him for gross incompetency. But we aren’t a 5 star player so he doesn’t GAF.
Bingo.

I get PISSED during the games and I don't enjoy the experience at all. Now I don't throw stuff or anything but I'm just tense. I prefer to watch by myself. I am always super busy so I prefer to play early in the day to get it over with. I don't have time to sit in front of the TV much. I will not watch a game live on a saturday evening. It's saturday night, that time is for me and the wife/kids.

The next morning, I will think about the game when I wake up but once I've had a shower I'm generally over it. It's just ball man. It's a bunch of kids I don't know playing ball on my TV. It's entertainment. If it fails to entertain you then head to your next avenue for entertainment until the next game. My best advice is don't carry this stuff around with you. Absolutely nothing positive will come from it. Fill your day with stuff that actually matters.
Honest question for you- why do you post here then? Why do you have over 5k posts on a sports board if it’s just ball with kids you don’t know and you have much more important stuff in life?

Reactions: Cats192
Record the games and only watch if they win.

Maybe I'm an entitled millennial, but I'm mad because I feel like we (UK fan base) deserve so much better than this. There is so much passion from this fan base that only a small number of other universities can match. We deserve a coach and administration that does everything in their power to have UK at the top. It's just not happening though, and that's why I'm mad.

Honest question for you- why do you post here then? Why do you have over 5k posts on a sports board if it’s just ball with kids you don’t know and you have much more important stuff in life?
Sports are still my favorite form of entertainment. Followed by movies and music which I also follow online. I also recognize that these things are not that impactful or serious in the world we live in. I'd still rather be mad over a ballgame than I would over politics or social issues. I stay out of that.

But none of it will rule my emotions for more than a few hours.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
I'm mad , mad as hell, The ass stole a valuable piece of my identity , a big time UK hoops fan . For now its gone . I'm committed to not watch games til he's gone . And i dropped the thought of attending years ago . Sad , I used to travel the USA watching the Cats .

Cal letting players like Bradshaw and DJ make it rain baby. While are true players sit for too long. Cal is trying not to take these guys hearts and in the process dropping games like it’s no big deal. This year is no better than the past 4 years. Same Ol crap, different year.

As others have said, I'm not mad anymore. If last night's results had happened 10 years ago, I would have been on the edge of my seat and probably wouldn't have gone to bed until 1 am and would have slept angry. But last night, even after Rob hit his shot, I felt nothing. It was like I was watching a Syracuse-Boston College game. Just turned it off and went to bed. Slept just fine.

I haven't been mad since 2019.

Reactions: CatsDomain
Stopped being mad when I accepted the fact cal is an absolutely trash basketball coach and any positive results we get from him are the anomaly and not the norm (see Auburn game). Our team this year is easily a top 10 team, maybe even top 5 with a good coach. It’s frustrating for certain but only thing im mad at now is that cal is still here. Don’t get mad at losing anymore, this season is already over, we just haven’t watched them lose their last game yet but it’s coming, because of CAL!!!!

Reactions: ala_kat2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT