ADVERTISEMENT

Based on resume...who do you hire?

Even IF the pipe dream coaches (Stevens, Donovan, Wright, etc) were obtainable, my first call would be to Dan Hurley. I think he would reject the offer, but that's my guy.
Doesn’t hurt to ask, but he is even more of a pipe dream than the others, IMHO.

Leaving UConn for any other college program in the country is a step down at this present time.

Doesn’t hurt to ask, but he is even more of a pipe dream than the others, IMHO.

Leaving UConn for any other college program in the country is a step down at this present time.
Agreed. Not only that, but Storrs is much closer to his family than Lexington is. Unfortunately, UK is also towards the bottom of the SEC when it comes to NIL.

While Hurley makes $5 million, if another school came knocking, there's no doubt in my mind that UCONN would match it.

Go...
It'd be nice if this can remain an intelligent discussion as opposed to just...anybody else posters that are generally clueless and maybe 16-20 year olds, for the most part. This is a thread for the grown-ups.
No one. We have a coach and he will be here for a while.

Here is the problem. UK (Mitch) did not get behind NIL and where he did we have very serious limitations! When you talk about 5* freshman they by and Large have a huge amount of NIL no matter where they play, so UK is on a level playing field. However, UK does not and will not ever be able to compete with the Alabama's and U Conn's, we aren't in the Top 25 in NIL, to Portal Players. It has nothing to do with Cal we just don't have the Alumni base or business base to compete. That is why Portal players that demanded big NIL last year went elsewhere! Same reason Duke gets most whoever they want, Freshman or Portal before and after NIL because of MONEY!! Kentucky will not be able to get a portal coach to replace Cal who will succeed here as Kentucky can't thrive on the Present NIL system. On top of that Mitch would not allow Cal once Peevy left to continue his associations with in between groups that would "Push" the Anthony Davis's to us. That is part of the reason for Cal's failure. I do Believe Cal has to go, but it will be much, much harder to get a great coach to come here than most realize because of Mitch and MONEY!
With a University like UK. How the hell do we not have NIL money for these players?

I think there's a logic trap people fall into.

Coach has only done X at "Not Kentucky." They're not good enough I would assume most coaches improve a good deal at Kentucky.

So, I don't know that we have to get someone with multiple Final 4's to hit a home run. I also don't know that we're able to get someone with multiple final 4's. And that's fine. Good coaches can become great when at a blue blood.

Dream/fantasy hires:
1. Jay Wright
2. Hurley
3. Donovan

Reality Hires:
1. Oats
2. Drew
3. Beard

Backups:
Will Wade
Golden

I can't even entertain Stevens. He was coaching one of, if not THE premier basketball team in all the world. He left that to do admiinistration/executive stuff. If he wanted to coach, he would coach the Celtics.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Whenever Cal leaves I'm not sure who you get. There don't seem to be many coaches out there that are ready for this. That said I sure don't want Cal to coach anymore.

Jay wright got out of coaching for reasons that are amplified at UK. No way he comes here. Even if by some miracle he did, it's 3-5 years at most

I’m a serious fan, with decades of passionate basketball fanhood, read books about the game, played myself long ago in high school, formally trained in logic and critical thinking at the graduate level at the University of Kentucky.

And I would love to have pretty much any of the top-tier names that are being discussed BUT

I resent the notion that anyone is being immature or not sufficiently aged or educated or insightful if they just answer “anybody.”

Our lane-ass narcissist head basketball coach really is dismantling our program and our tradition before our eyes in so many ways and has done that for so long now with impunity that really practically any active coach at any level would really do better if for no other reason than they would at minimum bring honest competitive spirit into the program for a change. And the further you get from the big names the closer you are to being completely off the hook for significant salaries and buyouts, and the more legitimate freedom you have to tinker and investigate. So I really do mean anyone.

That’s the cold, hard reality of our current situation. Be adult enough and be mature enough to ******g deal with it. And if you can’t then piss off.

Oats and Beard would be great fits for basketball. Unfortunately Oats seemed unconcerned with the murder issue and Beard was accused of strangling his fiancée.

The main goal is getting a new coach that has lots of energy and something to prove.

Last edited:
I don’t think Danny Hurley is as much a stretch as some think and it would be malpractice to not talk to him. Tradition matters to his family.

Oats would likely take the job if offered.
Donovan maybe
Pitino definitely

I don't get the Pearl thing. When you hired Cal there was considerable talk about the NCAA issues in his past, but the overwhelming sentiment then was "we have a great compliance office that will keep him in line". In 2009 you would not have given a guy like Pearl, whose rear view mirror is chock full of NCAA trouble everywhere he has been, more than 2 seconds consideration. Now he is like top 4 on half the lists I see on this forum.

Kinda reeks of desperation.
There's also the fact that Oats has the 2nd most wins for any Coach in the State of Alabama in regards to the NCAA Tournament. Wimp Sanderson had 12 NCAA wins--Oats has 8 in 5 years--Pearl has 7 in 10 years at Auburn.

Pearl sells himself, program and has a great environment at home but his only trip to the Final Four was courtesy of Cal's inept coaching and not adjusting at all when Auburn was without their best player due to injury. But no need to stomp on Cal again...oh well truth hurts-that's still a loss that stings more to me then '17 one.

Wright
Hurley
Donavan
Drew
Lloyd
Pearl
Sampson
Oates
RP

Not a bad list, but there isn’t anyone I’d take over Hurley right now. Even if Wright took it, we could be getting into the same situation we currently are with Cal. He’s older and doesn’t seem to have the drive. Not a good recipe to me. I don’t think I’d even ask Wright at this point in his career.

Hurley is definitely the top candidate today. See no way around that at all. I still think Pope should be looked at although I know it’s not popular. At the rate we’re going, maybe a 4 year deal to Pope wouldn’t be so bad. High risk but high reward, he’s a UK guy and would never leave. He’d come in program first and work his butt off. The fans would be fully engaged. Im not saying that’s what I’d do but I see nothing wrong with reaching out and seeing what his thoughts are. Maybe a program like UK would be what he needs to make runs, and I think we’d love his brand and recruits.

I have no doubt Beard would kill it here. But there are issues. I think Oats would take it too. I think there are way more good options out there than many seem to think. We’ll find the right guy,
We might just have to roll the dice a few times to figure it out. One thing is certain, we cannot ever allow a coach to have full control again with no incentives to win. Calipari seems to have taken the money and ran and we can’t afford this kind of move again. It’s the reason, to me, that Calipari is below Hall and even Tubby now. 3 more final fours than tubby doesn’t make him better when you consider the lackluster seasons in between, and the horrible losses Tubby never had. Now looking at the state of the program, it’s the worst I’ve ever seen it and to me that includes Gillispie. At least we weren’t handcuffed to a post and could move on.

• Love
Reactions: Blueaz
I don’t think Danny Hurley is as much a stretch as some think and it would be malpractice to not talk to him. Tradition matters to his family.

Oats would likely take the job if offered.
Donovan maybe
Pitino definitely
Tomorrow they might win their 6th title. That is tradition.

He would also be my first call, but I think people are downplaying the UConn program.

Well it looks legit Cal to Arkansas now, so for me I’d be thrilled with either Wright, Donovan or Oats. I would probably be a little disappointed if we couldn’t get 1 of those 3. I can’t see Oats turning down the opportunity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT