ADVERTISEMENT

Based on resume...who do you hire?

Dec 12, 2023
Go...
It'd be nice if this can remain an intelligent discussion as opposed to just...anybody else posters that are generally clueless and maybe 16-20 year olds, for the most part. This is a thread for the grown-ups.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
All I know is that, as much as I want Cal gone, I'm pretty frightened to think what Mitch's top 3 list looks like.

My realistic list;
1. Oates. But I feel that's just too expensive
2. Pearl. Just feels like a fit.
3. Ask me next week, but it's a distant third.

I have no earthly idea why Wright, Donovan, Hurley, and Stevens are even tossed around in this discussion.

Oats - 18M buyout for the next two years.
Hurley - 10M declines every year.

I don't really care after that but I would prefer a coach that wants to be here 10-11 years.

Someone like Golden at Florida, Matt Langel at Colgate, or Drew at Grand Canyon if you want to roll the dice.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
We HAVE to get a real AD to UK before the hire is made. Mitch is clueless and incompetent. Assuming he’s out..

1. Hurley
2. Oats
3. Wright
4. Beard
5. Musselman
6. Will Wade

I know many wouldn’t like the last 2 but Muss was great at Arkansas before the gay love triangle blew up their program this year. Several ncaa tournament runs. As for Wade, he made LSU legit and got fired for stuff that people don’t care about now. This was his first year at McNeese State. Last year they went 11-23. Wade had them go 30-4 this year. That type of turn around is crazy in 1 year.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
We HAVE to get a real AD to UK before the hire is made. Mitch is clueless and incompetent. Assuming he’s out..

1. Hurley
2. Oats
3. Wright
4. Beard
5. Musselman
6. Will Wade

I know many wouldn’t like the last 2 but Muss was great at Arkansas before the gay love triangle blew up their program this year. Several ncaa tournament runs. As for Wade, he made LSU legit and got fired for stuff that people don’t care about now. This was his first year at McNeese State. Last year they went 11-23. Wade had them go 30-4 this year. That type of turn around is crazy in 1 year.
Lmao @ Mussleman

Do I need to email Mitch about Oats? Maybe a Dad joke about oatmeal? How does any of this work?

I don't get the Pearl thing. When you hired Cal there was considerable talk about the NCAA issues in his past, but the overwhelming sentiment then was "we have a great compliance office that will keep him in line". In 2009 you would not have given a guy like Pearl, whose rear view mirror is chock full of NCAA trouble everywhere he has been, more than 2 seconds consideration. Now he is like top 4 on half the lists I see on this forum.

Kinda reeks of desperation.

Last edited:
I don't get the Pearl thing. When you hired Cal there was considerable talk about the NCAA issues in his past, but the overwhelming sentiment then was "we have a great compliance office that will keep him in line". In 2009 you would not have given a guy like Pearl, whose rear view mirror is chock full of NCAA trouble everywhere he has been, more than 2 seconds consideration. Now he is like top 4 on half the lists I see on this forum.

Kinda reeks of desperation.
Well, we are desperate!

Another year of bad losses, no trophies, Cal whining about us being young and our freshmen choking when the bright lights come on will make me consider anyone other than our current coach.

1. Hurley
2. Oats
3. Wright
4. Beard
5. Musselman
6. Will Wade

What is the story that blew up the program?

Lmao @ Mussleman
Why? I really like Musselman. I'm not the one who wrote it but he's a top three choice for me regarding realistic options.

Led Nevada to a Sweet 16
Led Arkansas to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16
Had one bad year and he's young

Maybe he does something with USC and becomes a cooler option.

Everyone here has apparently forgotten that Oats' player killed somebody and Oats didn't suspend the player who gave the guy the gun.

You call Hurley first and when he doesn't even pick up the phone you probably call Oats. If you don't get Oats I say take a chance on someone younger and hope you hit a home run. TJ Otzelberger and Todd Golden would get a call and Amir Abdur-Rahim if you want a name outside the box.

But I will say this, when Cal is finally gone people better prepare themselves for the fact that we'll probably be told no by the first two or three names we call. That's what happened in 2007. "It's Kentucky" isn't as good of an argument as people still think it is.

You call Hurley first and when he doesn't even pick up the phone you probably call Oats. If you don't get Oats I say take a chance on someone younger and hope you hit a home run. TJ Otzelberger and Todd Golden would get a call and Amir Abdur-Rahim if you want a name outside the box.

But I will say this, when Cal is finally gone people better prepare themselves for the fact that we'll probably be told no by the first two or three names we call. That's what happened in 2007. "It's Kentucky" isn't as good of an argument as people still think it is.
You're not going to lure a guy who has already been to the promise land like Danny Hurley just like it would've made no sense for Donovan to want to come here after just winning two national titles at a division rival. The big time guys aren't coming anyway but your guys who have the ego of wanting to coach a blue blood will absolutely come here- Musselman or Oats or Chris Beard (Yeah I know but you get the level I'm talking about),they might do it.

Hurley isn't even a phone call to bother with cause the answer will be a resounding no and it would devalue the job.

Pitino, Sutton, and Cal all had Final Fours before arriving. Tubby had three Sweet 16s, Billy had one Sweet 16. That's the bar you're looking at when getting a replacement. No championship coaches.

Why? I really like Musselman. I'm not the one who wrote it but he's a top three choice for me regarding realistic options.

Led Nevada to a Sweet 16
Led Arkansas to two Elite 8s and a Sweet 16
Had one bad year and he's young

Maybe he does something with USC and becomes a cooler option.

Everyone here has apparently forgotten that Oats' player killed somebody and Oats didn't suspend the player who gave the guy the gun.
Muss is almost 60, probably still has a good amount left in the tank but not sure I’d call him young

Reactions: gojvc
Muss is almost 60, probably still has a good amount left in the tank but not sure I’d call him young
Dang, didn't know he was that old. I stand corrected in that regard.

Cal was 50 when he took over Kentucky. Sutton was 49. Pitino was 36. Tubby was 46.

That puts a lot of this into perspective now with likely options. as replacements.

Dang, didn't know he was that old. I stand corrected in that regard.

Cal was 50 when he took over Kentucky. Sutton was 49. Pitino was 36. Tubby was 46.

That puts a lot of this into perspective now with likely options. as replacements.
Yeah. That's why it's taken a lot to get me on the "fire Cal" boat.

Here is the problem. UK (Mitch) did not get behind NIL and where he did we have very serious limitations! When you talk about 5* freshman they by and Large have a huge amount of NIL no matter where they play, so UK is on a level playing field. However, UK does not and will not ever be able to compete with the Alabama's and U Conn's, we aren't in the Top 25 in NIL, to Portal Players. It has nothing to do with Cal we just don't have the Alumni base or business base to compete. That is why Portal players that demanded big NIL last year went elsewhere! Same reason Duke gets most whoever they want, Freshman or Portal before and after NIL because of MONEY!! Kentucky will not be able to get a portal coach to replace Cal who will succeed here as Kentucky can't thrive on the Present NIL system. On top of that Mitch would not allow Cal once Peevy left to continue his associations with in between groups that would "Push" the Anthony Davis's to us. That is part of the reason for Cal's failure. I do Believe Cal has to go, but it will be much, much harder to get a great coach to come here than most realize because of Mitch and MONEY!

Here is the problem. UK (Mitch) did not get behind NIL and where he did we have very serious limitations! When you talk about 5* freshman they by and Large have a huge amount of NIL no matter where they play, so UK is on a level playing field. However, UK does not and will not ever be able to compete with the Alabama's and U Conn's, we aren't in the Top 25 in NIL, to Portal Players. It has nothing to do with Cal we just don't have the Alumni base or business base to compete. That is why Portal players that demanded big NIL last year went elsewhere! Same reason Duke gets most whoever they want, Freshman or Portal before and after NIL because of MONEY!! Kentucky will not be able to get a portal coach to replace Cal who will succeed here as Kentucky can't thrive on the Present NIL system. On top of that Mitch would not allow Cal once Peevy left to continue his associations with in between groups that would "Push" the Anthony Davis's to us. That is part of the reason for Cal's failure. I do Believe Cal has to go, but it will be much, much harder to get a great coach to come here than most realize because of Mitch and MONEY!
If this is accurate, that's really deflating. They better come up with some way to fix it. I'd try, but God won't let me win PowerBall or Mega. That guy is very narrow minded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT