ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome Aboard Marcelys Jones

That has a real chance to probably be the best offensive line UKs ever had.
Actually, no. We still have big problems to solve at tackle. Until those are solved, this won't be that kind of a line, even though we have really good guards now. Don't know if you are young or old, but Kentucky has had some pretty good offensive lines in the past under Bryant, Bradshaw, Curci, Claiborne.

Depth. As Dawson said, if they are there 40 years they will still be building depth. No one knows what recruits will be the next Toth or Warford, but the staff just needs to be diligent at getting the best they can in the trenches. Many 2 star HS linemen will be 4 star college seniors. It is a very difficult position to predict. Every year has to be about filling the cupboard.

Actually, no. We still have big problems to solve at tackle. Until those are solved, this won't be that kind of a line, even though we have really good guards now. Don't know if you are young or old, but Kentucky has had some pretty good offensive lines in the past under Bryant, Bradshaw, Curci, Claiborne.
Do you always rain on the parade?

He certainly is a big load, massive, gigantic, enormous. A humongous addition to the :football: team.

3003810.jpg

Losing Krok hurt as he was probably a starter next year. If we get Leavitt from juco then we should be good at tackle for a coupleof years. Then it's just a matter of a couple young guys developing

I would not be opposed to UK becoming o-line U. If we could consistently reel in 4 and maybe 5 star offensive linemen, I'm going to be incredibly happy with the direction of things.

It's really been a perfect storm of events with commitments from unprecedented in-state talents Young and Jackson, essentially getting Jones retroactively back from the 2014 class and ahead in the horse race for Wills which IMO will be the best of all of them.

We all know that championship caliber teams are build from the lines out. We now are putting together a heck of a foundation for an elite level offense. Undoubtedly these commitments have raised eyebrows all over the country and will really help attract top level talent at the offensive skill positions for the next couple of classes.

Stoops and crew are certainly getting guys that pass the look test. So glad to see UK getting guys that look like the rest of SEC players.

Reactions: Brando Mac
For those that have the ability and inclination, I would be interested in knowing what the addition of Jones would have done to the ranking of our 14' class.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I know of is that Jones will be a big asset this fall going against our defensive ones and twos while on the scout team.

For those that have the ability and inclination, I would be interested in knowing what the addition of Jones would have done to the ranking of our 14' class.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned that I know of is that Jones will be a big asset this fall going against our defensive ones and twos while on the scout team.

It would have moved us up to 13th on Rivals.

Very much agree about the benefit of having more talented, physically mature guys like Jones on the scout teams, on both sides. Depth isn't just about injuries or fatigue during games. it's also about who you go against every day in practice. That's been a huge problem for UK, especially on the lines.

Reactions: RV2

it would have given us 30 more points and bumped us above South Carolina for 16th avg 3.34*

No. Why? Do you think we are about to have the best offensive line UK has ever had?
i don't know about all time.. mainly because i am only 23, but, on paper, i do believe we have a chance to have one of the best, if not the best, in a long time. I do realize this is only on paper and contains a lot of ifs but it is a big step forward from where our program was just a few years ago. And, to be honest, whether it is or isn't doesn't really concern me.. I'm just happy we are starting to have these conversations. On top of that, if stoops stay, the o-line that we will have in a couple years will just become what we will have here.. and that is the best part to me.

i don't know about all time.. mainly because i am only 23, but, on paper, i do believe we have a chance to have one of the best, if not the best, in a long time. I do realize this is only on paper and contains a lot of ifs but it is a big step forward from where our program was just a few years ago. And, to be honest, whether it is or isn't doesn't really concern me.. I'm just happy we are starting to have these conversations. On top of that, if stoops stay, the o-line that we will have in a couple years will just become what we will have here.. and that is the best part to me.
On paper, we have the best offensive guards we have had since the 1970s, and that's real progress. The situation with our tackles is just not there yet. If you are looking for a strong interior for our running game, this is rapidly becoming a real SEC line. But if you are concerned about pass protection on the edges, since Dawson wants to throw downfield, we still have major problems. I honestly don't understand how anyone can look at our tackles and say this is 1 of Kentucky's best offensive lines, although I wish it was better. Maybe we can get a couple more commitments in this class to change the picture at the tackles.

On paper, we have the best offensive guards we have had since the 1970s, and that's real progress. The situation with our tackles is just not there yet. If you are looking for a strong interior for our running game, this is rapidly becoming a real SEC line. But if you are concerned about pass protection on the edges, since Dawson wants to throw downfield, we still have major problems. I honestly don't understand how anyone can look at our tackles and say this is 1 of Kentucky's best offensive lines, although I wish it was better. Maybe we can get a couple more commitments in this class to change the picture at the tackles.
at our current tackles.. definitely not. i thought we were talking once Landon Young gets on campus to potentially go with Leavitt and then Wills the following year to go along with Richardson and Meadows.. that is starting to get depth with potentially a RS fr young a SR Leavitt a Sr Meadows a RS Jr Richardson and Wills getting to RS... I know that is two big ifs with Leavitt and Wills.. but fingers crossed :grimace::pray:

Reactions: DaBossIsBack
I am sure pessimistic about you as a poster. How old are you anyway? You post like an attention starved teenager.

Lol yes, you're absolutely right. None of the things that I talk about contain any kind of informative value.

Or maybe it's just that you have a raw a** from me being right, which I'm going to continue to point out because you keep getting butt-hurt about it. <---- More likely than the former.

I have to wonder how 66 people accidentally hit the like button on any of your pessimistic, whiny, complaining comments.

It's really been a perfect storm of events with commitments from unprecedented in-state talents Young and Jackson, essentially getting Jones retroactively back from the 2014 class and ahead in the horse race for Wills which IMO will be the best of all of them.

We all know that championship caliber teams are build from the lines out. We now are putting together a heck of a foundation for an elite level offense. Undoubtedly these commitments have raised eyebrows all over the country and will really help attract top level talent at the offensive skill positions for the next couple of classes.
Please edit title to spell Welcome correctly.

I do not disagree that the OL position are very important but disagree that they are the hardest positions to recruit in football. IMO DL and good cover corners are rarer than OLs and much harder to recruit. They might be the hardest positions to recruit on the offensive side of the ball.
Pretty much agree about DTs and a natural cover corners as being the toughest to recruit. Very few bigs that run and "athletes" with the speed and swivel to be a great cover guy. And if you've got the skills, CB is probably the easiest position to play as you will probably be in man coverage 80% of the time. That's a big IF however.

OTOH, a program with good coaching and good S & C can "manufacture" decent O-linemen given some time and some kids with some degree of talent and desire. And UK is certainly racking up some very good raw talent.

Peace

Pretty much agree about DTs and a natural cover corners as being the toughest to recruit. Very few bigs that run and "athletes" with the speed and swivel to be a great cover guy. And if you've got the skills, CB is probably the easiest position to play as you will probably be in man coverage 80% of the time. That's a big IF however.

OTOH, a program with good coaching and good S & C can "manufacture" decent O-linemen given some time and some kids with some degree of talent and desire. And UK is certainly racking up some very good raw talent.

Peace
the thing about manufacturing olinemen and bringing in road graders is that the one can be effective with a scheme and coaching but the other can be absolute game changers. wisconsin and now arky have proven that a really solid, big, athletic oline can make a team better than the rb, qb, and wr suggest they should be. you watch some of marcelys highlights and he blows up some dang good football players. not just block them then lay on them but he actually decleated people on the oline. guys like that "can" make a good back look great or a great back look unstoppable.

Reactions: Levibooty
UK has consistently had good/great skill players. Its always been in the trenches where we've struggled to compete. Stoops and Co, are really making strides towards changing things in the trenches in a way I havent seen in my lifetime.

That has a real chance to probably be the best offensive line UKs ever had.
With all those that mentioned above, which would include the best depth ever at UK, I would challenge any UK fan to name a better and deeper O-line that has ever been at UK.....

will-smith-shaking-his-head-gif.gif

Reactions: Parabolicsecan
I like how Stoops is building the team... Getting to 5 wins was good in year two but the trip past 5 gets pretty tuff going forward... SEC isn't kind to up-and-comers... Getting good skilled players on both O & D lines, with depth is enough for me to say he's can stay as long as he likes... We don't know what UK looks like with 4-5 years of this type talent coming in.... But I think I'm gonna like it!

Jones looks so much more physically mature than most of our guys. Like he could hurt somebody or something.
you ought to watch some of his hs highlights. he decleated guys on the line. im not talking about catching guys off gaurd. he was lined up with some guys and just punched out and they landed on their back..... he is a natural freak. if we get him to buy in then he could very well be the best interior lineman in a long time and that is with having larry warford doing very well in the pros.

Peace

Wildcard I would add that big kids are often late maturing and it often is 2 or 3 years into college before you really know what they are or will be. Some have more mature bodies than others and need less work in the weight room to be competitive but IMO almost all need a redshirt year and most another year or two of experience to become big time offensive linemen. There is exceptions but they are rare. Most time when a OL is thrown in early it is out of necessity and they are not at their best and will struggle.

I know that coaches must often play players that would be better served if they redshirted but IMO it is probably a real bad idea for them to play many true Freshmen OL.

I really wanted this guy badly back in 14 when he was coming out of high school. But I'll be mighty happy to get him now. He sure will be very welcome in Lexington.

This whole thing kind of just creeped up on me. I haven't been paying much attention to the football goings on over the past few weeks. This is some very pleasant news to log in and see.

One thing about how this turned out... he's gonna rs now and he wouldn't have if we'd of gotten him the first time around. '18 will now be his Sr year and this year's class will be Jr's. ...gonna be a nasty line in 18

Potential OL in a couple of years.

LT: Wills
LG: Jones
C: Jackson
RG: GAA
RT: Young

That is a ton of talent.

Actually it is only arouond 1575# at present, and I kind of hope that they don't get up to 400# each. Definitely big enough for the job even before their freshman year.

This kind of talent on the OL is mind boggling at uk, the great offense we had in 07 had an OL that averaged just over a 5.2 two star for the five positions as commits.

Agree, if we get and keep all these OL it should be a great help in recruiting all the other offensive skill positions.

Predicting the future starting line is a crap shoot.

That is true, but with GAA AND some of the best OL talent we have had in a long time already on the team, TWO top 250 prospects almost certain to be here, another top 250 in Jones (believe he was one), and an excellent chance for a prospect that most think is probably better than any of them, I sure like our chances a lot better than with all the 5.2 prospects that started in 07.

And up until VERY recently most thought our best available talent was ALL the other positions on the team, with a little luck this thing could really snowball. Prospects like to play with winners, especially one you are helping build..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT