ADVERTISEMENT

We need Dakari back next year

uk_fan_in_tn

Junior
Nov 20, 2008
And playing to his potential. He struggled the majority of the second half of the season, and just seemed to really be lacking confidence. He can be such a difference maker when he's engaged and playing well. And we'll need a big, wide body down on the block next year.

With all of the respect and appreciation in the world for Dakari, I just don't see him doing much more. He lacks so much athletically - footwork, hands, agility. He reminds me so much of Marvin Stone.

If he gets better, you got a point. But if you get the Dakari that we saw for 90% of the season, it's a wash. If he can find a team in the pros willing to use a first round pick on him and get that guarantee money he needs to go.

Can we get Fat Dakari back? Fat Dakari preferable to Skinny Dakari ... much like with Oprah.

weight_loss_gain.jpg

If he comes back and plays well, he can be a lottery pick next year no question. Right now, he's fringe first round.

One thing that might ease him returning (minus draft status of course) is his age. He should only be a freshman this year and he already has two years under his belt with a chance for a bigger role next year.

Originally posted by JasonS.:
Can we get Fat Dakari back? Fat Dakari preferable to Skinny Dakari ... much like with Oprah.

ec
I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought he was better with more weight. Either way, he's got a 5 inch vertical and slow. But I feel like he was more productive before he lost the weight.

Originally posted by ClockCalamity:
With all of the respect and appreciation in the world for Dakari, I just don't see him doing much more. He lacks so much athletically - footwork, hands, agility. He reminds me so much of Marvin Stone.
Marvin Stone light years ahead of DJ athletically....bad comparison IMHO

I'd love Dakari and Lee to come back. Lee deserved more minutes. I don't understand why Cal didn't have faith in him.

Originally posted by medeski7:
I'd love Dakari and Lee to come back. Lee deserved more minutes. I don't understand why Cal didn't have faith in him.
Lee is my favorite player on the team. He has to work on shooting FT's and mid range shooting. He also could not guard as good as WCS. GBB

Don't think he can't improve. He is already better than Josh H. was after his Sophomore season, and he developed quite nicely. Now, he's not going to become an AA or anything, but he can certainly improve enough to be a very valuable member of our team.

Originally posted by TheFolker:
What if the choice is Dakari or Zimmerman?
I'd take Dakari.

I think our starting 5 (as of right now) would be:

Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Skal
Dakari

If Dakari could learn how to not travel every time he touches the ball, he'd be pretty good.

I can't understand how a basketball player at this level can't dribble and can't not travel.

I think Dakari returns. He is projected as undrafted if I'm not mistaken and he is the one who would benefit the most by coming back, especially since he would likely start at the 5 and get a ton of exposure next season.

I also think Booker returns. Too many question marks in his game and he shouldnt squander his opportunity to get better in college as opposed to leaving and getting drafted only to end up in the D-League and then out like Lamb or Teague.

I believe this is the SL we'll see come next season -

Ulis
Booker
Poythress
Labissierre
Johnson

or, if Cal prefers a smaller lineup -

Ulis
Briscoe
Booker
Poythress
Johnson/Labissierre

Originally posted by uk_fan_in_tn:
I'd take Dakari.

Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Skal
Dakari

If that is the case, then so much for the whole "build the team around Ulis" comment.

We have a super quick PG, a quick, aggressive combo guard, a PF playing SF, and two Centers, one of which is a bit slow.

Talk about a hodgepodge of talent. All these guys individually are solid, but do they fit together? And does Cal put square pegs in round holes again in order to keep his best players on the floor together?

If Johnson comes back, then I wonder if we can really take advantage of our overwhelming backcourt speed. Or will Cal do what is best for Johnson and slow the game down, pound it inside to him, give him lots of touches, and improve his draft stock.

I think Cal features Johnson next season, if he returns and that will rein in Ulis.

I was kind of hoping to see us play wide open next season with Ulis and a bunch of athletic guys around him like Briscoe, Newman(hopefully), Booker(hopefully), Poythress, Lee, and Labissiere.

There is MUCH more to basketball than athleticism. Dakari can still improve his footwork, patience in the post, defensive positioning and could work on his mid-range jumper next year. I don't understand saying a sophomore has absolutely maxed his potential because he lacks athleticism.

Here is what we know.d

Dakari proved in the 2014 tournament that he could be a major contributor against big time competition. Whatever the reason he didn't follow that up with a comparable year in 2015 but we do know he is capable. Zimmerman has yet to prove he is capable of doing that so I would definitely take Dakari back over Zimmerman.

Originally posted by bucsrule8872:

If that is the case, then so much for the whole "build the team around Ulis" comment.

We have a super quick PG, a quick, aggressive combo guard, a PF playing SF, and two Centers, one of which is a bit slow.

Talk about a hodgepodge of talent. All these guys individually are solid, but do they fit together? And does Cal put square pegs in round holes again in order to keep his best players on the floor together?

If Johnson comes back, then I wonder if we can really take advantage of our overwhelming backcourt speed. Or will Cal do what is best for Johnson and slow the game down, pound it inside to him, give him lots of touches, and improve his draft stock.

I think Cal features Johnson next season, if he returns and that will rein in Ulis.

I was kind of hoping to see us play wide open next season with Ulis and a bunch of athletic guys around him like Briscoe, Newman(hopefully), Booker(hopefully), Poythress, Lee, and Labissiere.

-------------------

That sounds like an exciting basketball team. After seeing a couple of seasons of bears on the court, it would be fun to see some greyhounds.

To be honest i'm hoping he declares.

He's in a good position to get drafted in the top-40. Thats a good area for him.

Im about done watching him blow layups and cringing at his athleticism. I feel it'll be best for both sides to move on - Dakari collects an NBA check & we try to get one of the uncommitted bigs.

Originally posted by 5iveStarRecruit:
To be honest i'm hoping he declares.

He's in a good position to get drafted in the top-40. Thats a good area for him.

Im about done watching him blow layups and cringing at his athleticism. I feel it'll be best for both sides to move on - Dakari collects an NBA check & we try to get one of the uncommitted bigs.
This

Hope he declares and gets paid. Zimmerman ain't the answer either. Rather have 6'8" guy who can rebound and score that a 7'guy who has no offense and can only dunk

Originally posted by rolaid:
Hope he declares and gets paid. Zimmerman ain't the answer either. Rather have 6'8" guy who can rebound and score that a 7'guy who has no offense and can only dunk

I haven't seen Zimmerman much, but isn't he supposed to be a skilled big?

Dak should only come back if he is prepared to throw the ball out of the post. I dunno how many times that the ball went in to him, only to watch him force a terrible shot. 80% of the time he had a wide open booker on the wing, but never passed it back out. That drove me crazy
chairshot.r191677.gif

Originally posted by ClockCalamity:
this^

Dakari needs to go, he isn't suited to our style of play. I love him, but I also love the bug guy from Xavier but neither are suited to UK basketball.

He is called for walking every time he touches the ball ! He needs desperate help on footwork and moves in the paint.

This post was edited on 4/7 8:08 PM by UK4EVR

I'd take Dakari.

Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Skal
Dakari

That lineup is based off who is on the roster or committed right now. Obviously, things could/will change when we find out who's leaving/staying/committing.

Skal is not your traditional center. He'll end up being the #1 recruit in this class when all is said and done. He has a great mid range jumper, can put the ball on the floor, just incredibly skilled. He's basically Anthony Davis with a better offensive game when Ant was in school. Playing him alongside Dakari would really open up the paint for the big fella, who can dominate 1-on-1 matchups on the block.

I'd take Dakari.

Ulis
Briscoe
Poythress
Skal
Dakari

That lineup is based off who is on the roster or committed right now. Obviously, things could/will change when we find out who's leaving/staying/committing.

Skal is not your traditional center. He'll end up being the #1 recruit in this class when all is said and done. He has a great mid range jumper, can put the ball on the floor, just incredibly skilled. He's basically Anthony Davis with a better offensive game when Ant was in school. Playing him alongside Dakari would really open up the paint for the big fella, who can dominate 1-on-1 matchups on the block.

That would help Johnson, but I am not sure that is a team "built around Ulis."

We need Labissiere to open up the lane for drivers like Ulis, Briscoe, and Newman.

I feel the need for speed. Tired of teams like Duke, UConn, and UofL winning titles with quick guards while we shuffle in our half dozen seven footers and scratch our heads when we lose and say, "but we are so much bigger than everybody else, why didn't we win it all?"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT