ADVERTISEMENT

We are a fricking joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
A benefit to this, that probably isn't lost on the staff, AD and boosters.. is that this will likely be a contract that isn't too expensive, has little guaranteed, and one that we can likely get out of easily, without much backlash, if things don't work out in 2-3 years.

This kind of feels like the idea many of us had, that this hire could be a stopgap type of hire, where if we need to move on, we can, and quite easily. I imagine staff will be keeping an eye on the coaching landscape as it changes over the next few years. If Pope is mediocre, and say Hurley misses the Final4 the next two years (when he's clearly going to be favored), then you can go all in then. There's nothing that says you can't go after Hurley or Oats again in a few years.. two guys who seemed like they had no option but to stay at their programs, despite wanting to come here.
Exactly how I feel, not to mention he may work out. He is one of us. Back when dudes played for the University too. I at least think we should give him a shot. If we suck then go all out. If we do that will make it hard to replace him again, that’s a huge reported reason why our top options didn’t want the job. Who knows what happened with Billy D but we are here.

star trek sudden realization GIF

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Exactly how I feel, not to mention he may work out. He is one of us. Back when dudes played for the University too. I at least think we should give him a shot. If we suck then go all out. If we do that will make it hard to replace him again, that’s a huge reported reason why our top options didn’t want the job. Who knows what happened with Billy D but we are here.

Billy Donovan hated all the non-coaching aspects of college, which is why he went to the NBA. He turned us down twice, we were going to have to wait like 2 weeks (maybe more) just to get a decision, and he was going to be coming back to a game that has drastically changed.

Billy donovan had a far lower floor than most will admit. It honestly had the chance to be a disaster, more so than any of the coaches we kicked around: pearl, drew, pitino, and yes, Pope.

Not to mention Donovan is only even considering this change because he's maybe 1 year from losing his job in the NBA, and likely not getting a HC gig in the NBA again for some time. As always, we weren't Donovans top option.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
I'm as disappointed as anyone that we once again didn't offer Billy Donovan. I'm actually a little pissed about it, but it is what it is if the contract is signed.

My next choice was a good, up & coming coach. The bonus is that he's a former Wildcat. So I'm gonna suck it up and support the guy, because he's ONE OF US, AND he's the coach now.

If we DON'T give him THAT, then we will have PROVEN BEYOND A DOUBT that we are exactly the shtty fanbase the media and the nation wants everyone to think we are. Then we WILL have an impossible task to find another coach.

One of us is such a stupid comment.I want the best coach no matter where he comes from.Playing at UK doesn't make him right for the job.

I'm as disappointed as anyone that we once again didn't offer Billy Donovan. I'm actually a little pissed about it, but it is what it is if the contract is signed.

My next choice was a good, up & coming coach. The bonus is that he's a former Wildcat. So I'm gonna suck it up and support the guy, because he's ONE OF US, AND he's the coach now.

If we DON'T give him THAT, then we will have PROVEN BEYOND A DOUBT that we are exactly the shtty fanbase the media and the nation wants everyone to think we are. Then we WILL have an impossible task to find another coach.
Pretty much

Reactions: fabcat and Girthang
One of us is such a stupid comment.I want the best coach no matter where he comes from.Playing at UK doesn't make him right for the job.
Why is it a stupid comment? Is Pope not a former player, a National Champion at that? I was comparing him to both Duke’s and UNC’s coaches. He’s more proven and he played here like they did for their respective schools. I didn’t say that was the sole reason to hire him. He is however more proven as a head coach than they were by a mile.

N
Cool blast from the past thread man alot on here have to be feeling really small right now over bashing one of our own mark Pope's hiring posts don't lie really shameful
No reason to try to belittle people. UK fans are very loyal and want to see UK win. It was a shock and it appeared many steps were missed in the coaching hire. It appears everyone except a few are on board with him now.

N

No reason to try to belittle people. UK fans are very loyal and want to see UK win. It was a shock and it appeared many steps were missed in the coaching hire. It appears everyone except a few are on board with him now.
I am not belittling anyone I was just shocked to see the hate toward coach pope on the initial hire did not know this thread existed

Cool blast from the past thread man alot on here have to be feeling really small right now over bashing one of our own mark Pope's hiring posts don't lie really shameful
90% of the fanbase had the same reaction. When we went from back to back champ to Pope in like 4 hours it's understandable. Stay up on that high horse though.

Btw I'm excited for Pope and love what he has done so far and have hope for what he will do in the future, but UK is decided by Wins and Losses and we haven't played a single game under Pope.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I, myself, had a slight meltdown over Cal a few days before the big move took place, and I feel bad about that now because my feelings toward Cal made me resent the program. I shouldn't have let that happen.

And still, there were worse people than me jumping on the Pope hire. It was super negative, almost infantile (in some cases it was infantile) and that's still okay. People have their opinions. What I REALLY dislike is when people go out on Twitter and start sending messages to the incoming players. One guy was out there on Lamont Butler's page on his commit post, saying something like, "Bad choice by Kentucky. This guy needs to hit the gym and start putting up some shots." People argued with him, but he was a total d*ck. Really no need for that.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
N

Yet, Mitch and Pope were belittled by the posters in this thread. Maybe you should have said something sooner to them. Interesting that many of those who belittled Mitch over the lifetime contract were the same ones who rejoiced on this board when that contract was given.

If I say something that is later proven wrong, I hope I am man enough to admit it and learn from it. So many of the posters on this board never seem to do that.

I get what you're saying, and I agree. I, myself, had a slight meltdown over Cal a few days before the big move took place, and I feel bad about that now because my feelings toward Cal made me resent the program. I shouldn't have let that happen.

And still, there were worse people than me jumping on the Pope hire. It was super negative, almost infantile (in some cases it was infantile) and that's still okay. People have their opinions. What I REALLY dislike is when people go out on Twitter and start sending messages to the incoming players. One guy was out there on Lamont Butler's page on his commit post, saying something like, "Bad choice by Kentucky. This guy needs to hit the gym and start putting up some shots." People argued with him, but he was a total d*ck. Really no need for that.
There are a few people on Twitter who I think are either trolls trying to make UK look bad or who are genuinely mentally unstable and have nothing better to do as "fans." With a fanbase as big and passionate as ours, there are going to be a fair share of mimics and crazies.

Reactions: meow_cat
Yet, Mitch and Pope were belittled by the posters in this thread. Maybe you should have said something sooner to them. Interesting that many of those who belittled Mitch over the lifetime contract were the same ones who rejoiced on this board when that contract was given.

If I say something that is later proven wrong, I hope I am man enough to admit it and learn from it. So many of the posters on this board never seem to do that.
Like the time you called BradyJames a liar over and over, even when proof was given. And then doubled down by saying you were a cop and knew when someone was lying? [laughing]

I am not belittling anyone I was just shocked to see the hate toward coach pope on the initial hire did not know this thread existed
I get it but I don’t think people “hate” him. I was one of the ones pretty pissed after enduring Cal so long. It felt like the window of opportunity to right the ship was pissed away. However, I now see the error of my ways. Pope has to actually win games but so far he is doing everything you’d hope he would. For me, I didn’t have hatred, I loved the player and I’m on the Pope train now but it took me some time.

And then there were people like myself who were just so happy to see Cal leave that we didn’t care who was hired.

And it seems Pope might just be the guy.

I will say, I absolutely don’t blame people for their initial reactions. Heck, I bet Pope himself would say he understands those reactions.

Always someone on here that wants to keep the drama flowing.

The only thing that looks worse than the things that were said is dragging up an old thread to shame people. Congrats!
I am not the one that dragged this up and definitely not the one that shamed people the ones that did those hateful posts are to blame not me

Think like this. Duke hired Schyer, and UNC hired Hubert Freaking Davis. Pope is one of us and had proven 10x’s more than those 2 and they have been just fine.

Nailed it in the moment. Lots of people couldn’t see the forest for the trees. 👊

We literally had people on here claiming we will have Louisville type seasons under Pope. They said he could never recruit at a high level and that we were dead as a program. All Chicken Little, Sky is falling nonsense. Pope is proving he can recruit at a high level and is finding guys he thinks fits the mold of what it takes to win in his system at Kentucky. He's successfully selling the programs Blue Blood history, traditions and passion. How it translates on the court this fall is yet to be seen, but based on what we've seen so far, I don't think we will be disappointed.

Reactions: ORCAT
You're bumping an emotional post, and let's be real, we were all stunned initially. The poster and many others in the thread has since moved on from this stance.

Reactions: JPFisher and ORCAT
I get it but I don’t think people “hate” him. I was one of the ones pretty pissed after enduring Cal so long. It felt like the window of opportunity to right the ship was pissed away. However, I now see the error of my ways. Pope has to actually win games but so far he is doing everything you’d hope he would. For me, I didn’t have hatred, I loved the player and I’m on the Pope train now but it took me some time.
And that just makes it all good? Too many folks trashed Pope and then when enough people supported him it was "awwww shucks, I'm on board!".

Reactions: know1
People post the darnedest things
Same guy that said we wouldn’t make the tournament last year and then doubled down with anyone that challenged him.

Same guy that said he has no respect for old people and then confirmed it when asked if that was true.

Blew off this terrible thread and now dominates the board with recruiting posts.

Complete and utter shamelessness.

You're bumping an emotional post, and let's be real, we were all stunned initially. The poster and many others in the thread has since moved on from this stance.
I was not stunned, lol. It was the best news I've heard in a long time when I read that there was the possibility of Pope being hired.

Reactions: know1 and CGblue
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT