ADVERTISEMENT

Until UK wins Games, QB???

MrHotDice

All-American
Nov 1, 2002
I read on here all the time that UK is recruiting this or that QB. Hoax just commits and many complain that his offer sheet is weak. Would someone please answer this question?

Other than a loyal local from Kentucky who may be a Nationally recognized QB, why would a 5 Star QB come to UK? Guys, until the team proves it can win in the SEC this want for the next great QB to come to UK just won't happen. if We can't win with the QB,s we have now, then it won't matter.

Winning on the field cures everything that is Or has ever been wrong with UK football.

Agree 100%
Can't get no good QB without no wins and get no wins without no good QB

This post was edited on 4/19 8:49 PM by TT Cat

I don't know anything about Hoax, how good he can or can't be. But your question is valid and here is an answer that hopefully will give some hope. Kids want to play, especially the top kids, they don't get excited about signing and then redshirting. Recruiting is about relationships and comfort level with coaches and the campus/city. Our former qb coach and OC was an elite recruiter, our qbs have come from all over, NC, Fl, Tx and our commit for 16 is from Washington state, he is personable, kids like him and is a good pro style qb coach. Brown may be that guy for UK, I don't know enough about him to say. Another thing they can use, and I think the UK staff is, but convince them to be part of the group that builds the program. I think the number of times Towles ran the ball hurt UK's qb recruiting this cycle, qbs want to throw the ball not take a beating running it. Now I am not saying it was by design, but he carried the ball a ton for a qb last year. But coaches have to sell the positives, relationships, program changer, "show the love" so many of these kids talk about.

I understand UGA has advantages over UK in recruiting because of the number of people who live in each state, we don't really have issues getting a qb, or haven't in the past, our issue is getting WRs. Our ex WR coach wasn't a strong recruiter, but he was an excellent position coach, the new WR coach has been our top recruiter the last 3-4 years so we will see if that changes I guess. But we are playing walkons at WR, we started a walkon on defense 9 games last year and a walkon on offense a couple of games.

With Barker being a RSfr, I don't think it hurts so much missing out on Kendall or Deweaver. If we get the offense going this year then it will be a little easier to convince one of these 250 QB's to come aboard.

Glad we got Hoak, definitely needed a QB in this class other than a walk on. Hell, with QB's he could turn out to be our best option in a couple of years.

This post was edited on 4/19 9:27 PM by ukmike22

Good God almighty, guys. Before commenting, at least get the names right....So far in this thread, the QB commit is called Hoax twice & there's mention of a Coach Brown as our OC. Have I got caught in some sort of time loop or is this a sarcastic series of posts from another thread that I didn't read?

Spica Orbit

Originally posted by MrHotDice:
I read on here all the time that UK is recruiting this or that QB. Hoax just commits and many complain that his offer sheet is weak. Would someone please answer this question?

Other than a loyal local from Kentucky who may be a Nationally recognized QB, why would a 5 Star QB come to UK? Guys, until the team proves it can win in the SEC this want for the next great QB to come to UK just won't happen. if We can't win with the QB,s we have now, then it won't matter.

Winning on the field cures everything that is Or has ever been wrong with UK football.
Are you being facetious?

Originally posted by Spica Orbit:
Good God almighty, guys. Before commenting, at least get the names right....So far in this thread, the QB commit is called Hoax twice & there's mention of a Coach Brown as our OC. Have I got caught in some sort of time loop or is this a sarcastic series of posts from another thread that I didn't read?

Spica Orbit
Yeah no one is making a whole lot of sense in this thread. To be fair though Grumpy is a Georgia fan so the coach Brown thing was an honest mistake. Hoak is a hell of a player though he's going to garner a lot more attention in the coming weeks of the evaluation period. Gunnar is very accurate, well coached, good pocket presence, and does a great job going through his progressions. He doesn't have the arm strength that Towles has but it's not fair to make that comparison. Towles has a plus arm compared to many NFL QBs

Originally posted by MrHotDice:

...Other than a loyal local from Kentucky who may be a Nationally recognized QB, why would a 5 Star QB come to UK?...
More often than not, they would not.

Athletes are, by nature, competitive people and want to win. Sure, relationships are critical in recruiting but it is difficult to overcome a recent history of losing if you are recruiting against the ALs, GAs and LSUs of the football world. When schools like that "lose players" they usually lose them to each other.

It happens every now and then but selling the future is much harder than selling the past and present.

Peace

This post was edited on 4/19 11:10 PM by WildCard

And you could probably say the same thing about every position on a football team, just win baby.

We do have one of the last 17 overall number one NFL draft picks as a quarterback. I know we are "punterU" not "quarterbackU", but there are only so many kids drafted first and we did have a quarterback in the not so distant past do that. A top quarterback would come here because of our Air Raid offense and a chance to play instead of sitting behind other top quarterbacks at other places.

That may be true for the kids who grew up being Louisville fans but the kids who grew up in the mountains are born Blue and would kill for a chance, just a chance to play for UK. No disrespect but if Eastern Kentucky was a hot bed of football talent, they would most all go to UK. The ones that cant usually stay in the state and go to small schools in-state. Hard to get real mountain kids to want to play anywhere else.

Just my old age opinion.

Spica Orbit
Sorry man, I just copied the qb's name from the OP and should have looked it up, just had a brain fart on the OC.s name

Whatever negative difference Hoak is vs. AK or deWeaver, if any, will not matter near as much as the differences at the other 21 positions. The over-focus on the QB spot borders on the absurd.

Originally posted by Grumpyolddawg:

Spica Orbit
Sorry man, I just copied the qb's name from the OP and should have looked it up, just had a brain fart on the OC.s name
Not a problem, Grump. It hit me who you are, after I posted, naturally.

Spica Orbit

The OP is right about winning. Many or the 4 & the few 5* QB'S ever work out in college.Sometimes a 2 * or 3* QB, matures and does well in college. I like Gunner over DeWeaver for 2 reasons. 1. He is a pocket passer. 2 His completion Percentage is a lot higher . Maybe just me, But I see DeWeaver as another Morgan Newton type. If the Line can protect, we are good at QB for the next few years.

Two things here...
One, this is not a year where we desperately need a QB. In fact, we could not recruit a QB for the next 3 years and be just fine at that position. With that being said, there's no reason this kid could not be a great QB for us down the road. Secondly, this is not a great time to come to UK if you are an elite QB. The perk for those guys to come to UK is early playing time, which I don't think Stoops and Marrow can really sell right now at that position. When you look at all of the circumstances, I think that this kid was the perfect type of recruit for us to get at QB this year. A project that requires some time to get reps and grow, which he will get plenty.

Originally posted by frost-1:
The OP is right about winning. Many or the 4 & the few 5* QB'S ever work out in college.Sometimes a 2 * or 3* QB, matures and does well in college. I like Gunner over DeWeaver for 2 reasons. 1. He is a pocket passer. 2 His completion Percentage is a lot higher . Maybe just me, But I see DeWeaver as another Morgan Newton type. If the Line can protect, we are good at QB for the next few years.
and the speed the ball comes out of his hands. we have all commented on towles having to get the ball out quicker. well hoak has that skill naturally. he's not as fast or as strong armed as towles but he reads D's quick and then the ball is out.

How can you compare a junior in HS to Towles? You think he won't be a lot stronger even next year?

And looks like Hoak will be a Hoax, and Towles will always be a Towel.
roll.r191677.gif

Reactions: ctroberts1024
Every college coach in every sport that is trying to build a program comes to a fork in the road where he has to take whatever material is on hand and win with what he has. 2015 is that fork for Coach Stoops. We have plateaued recruiting wise unless and until we start winning with the players on hand. And in fact, if we have another losing season in 2015, recruiting will not even match the current level. We are not going to outrecruit Georgia, Tennessee or a lot of other teams, or even come close, until we start beating them at least occasionally.

I do think we will have a winning season though this year.

You better wait til Stoops and Marrow have their line recruits as redshirt Jrs and Srs,before you make a premature judgement !

4/5* high school quarterbacks don't always turn out to be great college players. Granted the odds are higher that they will be good, but it's not a given. Which half of this list would you rather have as a starting QB? I'll take the bottom half, you can have the top.

WuW4Ydf.png

I don't know anything about Hoax, how good he can or can't be. But your question is valid and here is an answer that hopefully will give some hope. Kids want to play, especially the top kids, they don't get excited about signing and then redshirting. Recruiting is about relationships and comfort level with coaches and the campus/city. Our former qb coach and OC was an elite recruiter, our qbs have come from all over, NC, Fl, Tx and our commit for 16 is from Washington state, he is personable, kids like him and is a good pro style qb coach. Brown may be that guy for UK, I don't know enough about him to say. Another thing they can use, and I think the UK staff is, but convince them to be part of the group that builds the program. I think the number of times Towles ran the ball hurt UK's qb recruiting this cycle, qbs want to throw the ball not take a beating running it. Now I am not saying it was by design, but he carried the ball a ton for a qb last year. But coaches have to sell the positives, relationships, program changer, "show the love" so many of these kids talk about.

I understand UGA has advantages over UK in recruiting because of the number of people who live in each state, we don't really have issues getting a qb, or haven't in the past, our issue is getting WRs. Our ex WR coach wasn't a strong recruiter, but he was an excellent position coach, the new WR coach has been our top recruiter the last 3-4 years so we will see if that changes I guess. But we are playing walkons at WR, we started a walkon on defense 9 games last year and a walkon on offense a couple of games.

You make some really good points, but the notion that Towles running of the ball somehow hurt UK's QB recruiting is silly.

That would be like saying UK running the wildcat formation so much last year would hurt QB recruiting. Brown was simply adapting the offense to the players that he had and their strengths, and doing what he thought best gave this team the chance to win. Last year we were still short of the players to be able to run this offense straight up like Brown would've liked. Sometimes that led to gimmicks like the Wildcat and designed QB runs.

Actually QB has been the one position that UK has recruited pretty darn well over the years, bringing in multiple 4-star players and elite prospects.

4/5* high school quarterbacks don't always turn out to be great college players. Granted the odds are higher that they will be good, but it's not a given. Which half of this list would you rather have as a starting QB? I'll take the bottom half, you can have the top.

WuW4Ydf.png
Good point, but obviously, Newton and RGIII won the Heisman Trophy and several other of the 4 and 5 stars were tremendous college players. Would you please list all the other 2 and 3 star QBs of the same era who never amounted to anything? It might take a while.

Look, we have to recruit and win with who we can right now, but I thought the "recruiting rankings/stars don't matter" arguments had been settled a long time ago.

After reading about Hoak, can see why Stoops likes him so much. Couple of things stood out. Coming from a powerful program that has produced several D1 QB's the last several years. His very high IQ on the football field is something at this point you either have or don't have. His reasons for liking us makes you believe he will probably stick.

Individually, stars don't matter. Collectively, they do - and a lot.

awesome point. stars are missed on individual players but the bigger the sampling size, the greater accuracy rate. its why last years class doesnt bother me that bad. 1 class in the 30's sandwiched between to top 20ish classes can be overcome. its if we are consistently 35+ in rankings year after year that it gets hard to beat the big boys.

if hoak is underrated then are class this year will be way better than whatever it ends up ranked. but for the record, i, and a whole lot of other people liked hoak's film wayyy better than deweaver. and it's not because we got hoak. made several post about it before hand and saw several other people make the same observations. and also for the record. osu fan i know thought that deweaver was wayyy overrated. he has potential but is far from a sure fire prospect.... ever though he's a 4* guy.

ADVERTISEMENT