ADVERTISEMENT

UK Women's Basketball lands commitment from North Carolina transfer 5 star Teonni Key

At 6-4 she averaged about 3 points last season. Think she had an injury. Out of high school several big schools after her. Don't know if the injury hurt her production or she just hasn't jelled yet. Said to be a wing, may be a good shooter.

Last edited:
He's got size and an all American point guard, that's two things we didn't have, I'd love for Maddie to come back. There will be excitement and crowds back at the girl's games now, Brooks is getting it done, he's a great coach and recruiter. Lack of size has always been a problem, even Mitchell didn't have that when he was here. Our incoming class has been a pleasant surprise and he's not done!

A product of Cary High School in North Carolina, Key entered college with a world of potential, finishing ninth overall in the ESPN class of 2021 rankings. Sadly, she suffered a torn ACL in a preseason scrimmage that wiped out her freshman season.

As a redshirt freshman in 2022-23, the 6-foot-4 Key appeared in 28 games (one start) while averaging 2.4 points and 2.4 rebounds in 10.1 minutes per game.

This past season, Key averaged 2.7 points and 2.5 rebounds in 9.4 minutes of action across 23 games.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
He's got size and an all American point guard, that's two things we didn't have, I'd love for Maddie to come back. There will be excitement and crowds back at the girl's games now, Brooks is getting it done, he's a great coach and recruiter. Lack of size has always been a problem, even Mitchell didn't have that when he was here. Our incoming class has been a pleasant surprise and he's not done!
An experienced wing looks like what we could really use right now. The one, two, four and five looks solid. Sherr would probably be a big help to this team the way it is shaping up. Would not have to rely on freshmen as much at the 2 or 3 if Sherr comes back. They could learn more slowly and be ready to take off the next season. The 1, 4 and 5 looks extremely strong so far. The two and three talented but young.

Last edited:
Sherr cancels Iowa visit because they ran out of scholarships. Would be a key get with inexperience at the 2 and 3. Could make this team even better.

Wow. Impressive.

However, I’ll say this. After dealing with Cal, star ratings mean little to me anymore. Can the coach actually coach her up? I hope so.

She was the 9th ranked recruit in 2021.
Yeah, but she also averaged 2.7ppg in 23-24. That’s probably more of an indication of the type of player she is now. That being said, he’s brought in some great talent and having size off the bench is never a bad thing.

Yeah, but she also averaged 2.7ppg in 23-24. That’s probably more of an indication of the type of player she is now. That being said, he’s brought in some great talent and having size off the bench is never a bad thing.
That may be more of an indication on the system and how she was able to come back from her injury. Brooks has proven in his career that people like her can excel in his system.

Just saw where Scherr is not coming back, this disappoints me, don't know whether it was a philosophy difference or what. I feel like Brooks would have wanted her to come back. Things like this are hard to understand, she spoke so highly of coming back to play for her home state and how much it meant to her. Now the program is in better hands and has a good shot at post season play, and she leaves.

Just saw where Scherr is not coming back, this disappoints me, don't know whether it was a philosophy difference or what. I feel like Brooks would have wanted her to come back. Things like this are hard to understand, she spoke so highly of coming back to play for her home state and how much it meant to her. Now the program is in better hands and has a good shot at post season play, and she leaves.
Maybe she just didn’t fit his system? Who knows? We will probably never know the real truth to be honest. I trust what Coach Brooks is doing with the women just like I trust what Coach Pope is doing for the men.

Brooks VT team played in ACC and he saw her first hand at UNC. He knows what he’s getting and it’s not 2.7 pts per game.

Brooks VT team played in ACC and he saw her first hand at UNC. He knows what he’s getting and it’s not 2.7 pts per game.
He needs to fill a roster so I have no issues with getting her. My post was in response to her being a MAA in 2021. At some point your HS rankings don’t matter and your college production does. Averaging 2.4 and 2.7 ppg in her 2 seasons most likely means she isn’t an impact player but probably can fill a reserve role for 10 mpg.

He needs to fill a roster so I have no issues with getting her. My post was in response to her being a MAA in 2021. At some point your HS rankings don’t matter and your college production does. Averaging 2.4 and 2.7 ppg in her 2 seasons most likely means she isn’t an impact player but probably can fill a reserve role for 10 mpg.
She had a real bad leg injury her freshman year. May have had a little impact on her second year. May have slowed her progress down.

She had a real bad leg injury her freshman year. May have had a little impact on her second year. May have slowed her progress down.
Yep…I’m sure her injury has played a major role in her productivity. She has played 2 full seasons since missing her freshman year.

See the story about Brooks bringing the first team guard in her conference, Talia Von Auelhoffen sp? to breakfast Saturday morning. Think it said they brought her favorite player, Rondo, in to meet her? She was really hyped about it. She fills a stat line as a 5-11 guard with points, rebounds and assists. Believe it said she was the defensive player of the year in the league. They commented that Brooks is building a final four roster.

Coach Brooks isn't playing around.

Oh, it was a face time with Rondo. It appears Brooks just has it when it comes to recruiting. If he gets this girl it looks like there will be no weakness to exploit. She looks like the glue piece that would tie all the parts together with all the good things she does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT