ADVERTISEMENT

Why is recruiting 5 Star players important in today's game?

catben

All-American
Sep 13, 2003
UF just beat UK in Rupp and now has the SAME record in the SEC as we do. They don't have ANY 5 Star players(to my knowledge) and we have NUMEROUS.

We have been BOUNCED from the SEC Tournament AND NCAA Tournament on the 1st weekend or not even made it for the last 3 years with a top 3 recruiting class with 5 Star players.

We have seen teams win BIG and make it to the Final 4 without NEAR the NBA talent that UK has had.

So, is it STILL important to have highly ranked future NBA players on your team now???? If not, what should be the approach now????

Not all five stars are created equal, but they all think they are.

Cal has recruited a ton of guys lately who think they're ready, and they're not. It's been a system that has absolutely created a nuclear winter over our basketball culture.

Guys like Livingston, Edwards, Bradshaw, Ty Ty, Boston, etc. - who all think they're ready, but they're not. They leave after a year, or transfer, and we end up back on the same block of 25-10 level squads that don't do jack in the tournament.

Cal has created this garbage culture. He can't land truly elite guys anymore, so he gets the second-class citizens of the five star ranks, and allows them to pretend that they're ready for the NBA jump.

Cal is CONSTANTLY getting his butt kicked by teams that have FAR LESS talent than we do. It's getting to the point where I no longer feel confident we can beat even the mediocre teams on the road OR at home.

So has recruiting the so called "Very Best" became an enigma with Cal now?????? It doesn't seem to help us win at the highest level anymore under Cal and other programs are winning much MORE with less of those future NBA players.

What gives?????!!!!!

The one and done model doesn't work,not the way Cal practices it.. Granted he struck oil I time with a generational player, Most of his Final Fours were when he convinced 5 star freshman to RETURN for a second season. The nearly unlimited transfer rule and NIL have degraded 1 and done even further. I have watched a lot of basketball this year and we have 3 freshman as good as any freshman playing,it just isn't enough any more. We have 3 of probably 6 best freshman playing this year and none of the other 3 is on the same team. We simply need a new philosophy this one is outdated if it was EVER valid

It's incredibly important if you have a coach who doesn't do any coaching at all. Not so much if you have a decent coach.

Reactions: runningbears
It blows my mind how BAD the Klutch kids Cal has brought in have been. Used to be it took some future NBA players on your roster to have any shot at making the Final 4. But now teams beat us without even ONE!!

So, I’ll repeat what I asked in the OP, are 5 Star recruits necessary to win big in college basketball anymore???

I rolled my eyes when Cal said “I’ll take talent over experience” all those year ago, and I’m still rolling them. You need a mixture of talent and experience to win in college. I’m also a big believer that experience helps lead to building talent. When you gamble with onds, you better hope and pray they turn out to be on the level of Wall, Davis, or Towns.

I think 5*s have finally just become too much of a risk.

They aren't prepared for todays game.
AAU has ruined them
They are now far more entitled and deserving than they used to be (part of the genration, and part of all the attention)
They are going up against 5th and 6th year seniors/transfers.
Euro players are passing us.
Player-first model where they can decide to sit, transfer, etc.
Fighting for NIL deals.

Guys like Wall and Cousins were already a risk. But it was a fairly safe risk. You recruit a top10 player, and they are generally going to be pretty good for that one year. A few exceptions every year, but it was a smart play.

Not anymore though.. just too many factors working against them now. As far as the college game is concerned, I'd sooner just let the top10 guys go right to the developmental leagues. You want to be in the NBA, and we need you for a few years.. Your goals are so far mis-aligned from ours, this just isn't going to work.

Personally I think AAU, College and the NBA has an issue.

The game is ruined... I'll still watch my Cats but I use to enjoy the NBA now every game is an allstar game,

UF just beat UK in Rupp and now has the SAME record in the SEC as we do. They don't have ANY 5 Star players(to my knowledge) and we have NUMEROUS.

We have been BOUNCED from the SEC Tournament AND NCAA Tournament on the 1st weekend or not even made it for the last 3 years with a top 3 recruiting class with 5 Star players.

We have seen teams win BIG and make it to the Final 4 without NEAR the NBA talent that UK has had.

So, is it STILL important to have highly ranked future NBA players on your team now???? If not, what should be the approach now????
Well I think it's important to keep in mind that not all 5* are the same - and I mean that seriously. There are 5* every single season, but one season might be a VASTLY stronger class than the next. So to your point, some seasons it's not nearly as important as others.

But you don't want to miss out on game-changers if you have the chance - such as a Paolo, Brandon Miller, Grady Dick, Cason Wallace, Tyrese Maxey, Kyle Filipowski, etc

But again, to your point - the transfer portal is GREAT for when there are down "classes" of freshmen coming in. But there's a downside to the portal as well - do you actually know who's entering the portal? Do you actually know if they're interested in coming or just using you? Are they playing the NIL game?

A solid, veteran player from the portal has an advantage over a freshman 5 star. By mid-February I'm hoping that isn't the case for our guys. They're still learning. Maybe they can make better decisions by March.

My answer to the OP is that CCC does not value:
1. Basketball Players - CCC recruits athletes not necessarily basketball players. With some exceptions, he does not recruit a player without that player being a superb athlete. His emphasis primarily is on athletic ability with basketball skills being the secondary consideration. I think this should be reversed (skills>athletic ability). Best scenario would be a skilled basketball player that has that athletic ability (Davis, Towns, Booker, Ulis). You can afford to take a player or two that has a dominant skill (shooter, rebounder, shot blocker) but has average or below average quickness, jumping ability et. Ugonna is a good example as he is primarily a shot blocker and rebounder. Gets his points by getting rebounds and getting down the floor. He may, given time, turn into an offensive threat but his skills are invaluable to this team.

2. Experience - He feels talented high school recruits are superior to less talented experienced players. As you stated, UF did not have the talent that UK had on the floor last night. I would say that their top player would be the 7th/8th man on our roster. Walter Clayton is a Junior and while primarily a shooter dominated our freshmen trying to guard him. Is he a better talent that either Reed, Rob, or DJ? Who have been our best players so far this season? Antonio (3*) and Tre (21st rated center out of high school), both 23 years old. They have played at least 4 more years of competitive college basketball when compared to our freshmen!

3. Transfer Portal - Again, our 2 best players are from the transfer portal. There is tape that can be viewed of them playing against other Div 1 players versus our freshman high school tapes where they were possibly the best and tallest player on the court. Example that comes to mind is Daimion Collins now at LSU riding the bench. Point and rebound stats were off the charts in high school but he was 6 inches taller than anyone else and little competition. Potential yes, but not anything concrete that translated to him being successful in college. I believe that with today's rules, your high school recruiting should not be as important as plucking players from the portal.

4. Coaching - Quite frankly he is not an X's and O's type of coach. Of course, I have never been to a practice but watching him over the years on the bench, he just does not seem to have a high basketball IQ. Motivator, psychologist - maybe and could be successful if he has the knowledgeable basketball people on his staff that can teach and is willing to listen to them. He has had rosters full of athletes most years, yet he seldom uses this advantage. Play a style like Pitino did at UK and Nolan R. did at Arkansas. Press full court the whole game and run, run, run. Most teams do not have the depth or athletes to survive this pressure for 40 minutes. They get fatigued and make mistakes while your players are fresh as they have gotten adequate rest throughout the game. Tubby was great at calling a timeout and drawing up a play that most times was successful and CCC just does not do that. "Go make a play" is his mantra.

5. Complementary Players - You need shooters, rebounders, playmakers, passers etch to have a balanced team. I think this years team has the best compilation of players with various skills that UK has had since 2015, they are just young and most will be in the NBA/G league before age 20 so we will never know what they might have become. Our guards (Rob, DJ, and Reed) are talented. They just make freshmen mistakes. You can't teach experience. Our (3) 7' guys complement each other. Ugo (rebounder/shot blocker), Aaron (skilled athlete that just needs experience and weight, and Z who has guard like skills. And the forwards (Justin, Adou, Tre, Burks) have the talent but have not played much together this year. Could be formidable next year, minus Tre, if they come back.

6. Continuity - It is a revolving door of players under CCC. Most teams lose 3-4 players each year with graduation but UK loses twice that much with the occasional senior and 4/5 freshmen bolting every year. Lack of continuity leads to a mistakes and less team play. This is the main reason that the Top programs are getting beat on a more regular basis by the mid majors who have predominantly Jr/Sr rosters.

My $.02

Reactions: crestcat

Really good 4 stars with several years of college under their belt trump a 5 star freshman 90% of the time, every once in a while you get that one 5 star freshman who is a game changer but we have not had one of those in years.

Cal is CONSTANTLY getting his butt kicked by teams that have FAR LESS talent than we do. It's getting to the point where I no longer feel confident we can beat even the mediocre teams on the road OR at home.

So has recruiting the so called "Very Best" became an enigma with Cal now?????? It doesn't seem to help us win at the highest level anymore under Cal and other programs are winning much MORE with less of those future NBA players.

What gives?????!!!!!
The obvious answer is coaching and the Portal. Cal would rather have the young 5*s and gloat about how many HE sent to the NBA, and use “ we are young “ as the excuse for losing.

Reactions: crestcat
The obvious answer is coaching and the Portal. Cal would rather have the young 5*s and gloat about how many HE sent to the NBA, and use “ we are young “ as the excuse for losing.
Cal is the only soul in the BBN that gives a flying phvck how many he sent to the NBA. I think it’s a reflection of his poor coaching.

It’s not.
The transfer portal ended that.
You can go out and get five tough seniors who will beat the piss out of five all start freshmen every time. You’re better off trying to put together all star teams of transfers than worrying about an unproven 18 year old that’s never had anyone tell him no.

It’s not.
The transfer portal ended that.
You can go out and get five tough seniors who will beat the piss out of five all start freshmen every time. You’re better off trying to put together all star teams of transfers than worrying about an unproven 18 year old that’s never had anyone tell him no.
Very true but you have to know what you’re doing

Reactions: catben and Jakerz
I rolled my eyes when Cal said “I’ll take talent over experience” all those year ago, and I’m still rolling them. You need a mixture of talent and experience to win in college. I’m also a big believer that experience helps lead to building talent. When you gamble with onds, you better hope and pray they turn out to be on the level of Wall, Davis, or Towns.

Even in 2012, I don't think we win the title without the contributions of Darius Miller (SR). He saved our bacon more than once at critical moments.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT