ADVERTISEMENT

Twins at NBA Combine?

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Jonathan Givony@DraftExpress · 7h7 hours ago
Hearing there are definitely some interesting players planning on playing 5 on 5 at NBA Combine. Robert Upshaw, Harrison twins few examples.

I hope they do as well. I do think it's funny that their are a lot of posters who think that if HS players are projected as being a top 20 pick that they will be.
I've seen a lot of lottery pick guys play in high school over the years and I did see them on the court when the twins played in HS. No way if they could have declared out of HS they would be 1st round picks after their workouts.
Hopefully with their recent improved play (especially Andrew) they can make a team but I'm not going to hold my breath as a lot of guys have come out this year.

Last edited:
No way if they could have declared out of HS they would be 1st round picks after their workouts.

That doesn't even make sense. Name any other top picks who fell entirely out of the first round due to workouts only. The Harrisons would have been much better served to go straight to the NBA, as it was their inconsistencies while playing college basketball that caused their stock to drop... Not workouts.

Also, I'm not ragging on them, that's just what happened. I'm glad they came here and I'm glad they led us to two final fours and I thank them for all their hard work. But there is no denying they'd have made a lot more money coming right out of HS.

Last edited:
I hope they do as well. I do think it's funny that their are a lot of posters who think that if HS players are projected as being a top 20 pick that they will be.
I've seen a lot of lottery pick guys play in high school over the years and I did see them on the court when the twins played in HS. No way if they could have declared out of HS they would be 1st round picks after their workouts.

I don't know how much I believe that. This is one of the reasons the NBA adopted the one year out of high school rule. They were being fooled at workouts and against high school competition. They were dropping too much money into these kids. Now they get at least a year to watch them against college competition. Plus, no way the Harrison's would of done this intense of workouts had they been coming straight out of high school. Would of likely just done some shooting and skill drills. They are only doing the 5 on 5 stuff to help raise their stock.

I agree they played for UK so with that I wish them well

Agreed.

It is sad that some people that call themselves UK fans still are glad they are gone or do not think they were good players for UK. Not many guys go to TWO Final Fours in two years played, but they did it.

Then again with Cal here, quite a few have done it in recent years with Lamb and Teague and Miller in 2011/2012, and DJ, WCS, Poy, and Lee in 2014/2015.

Agreed.

It is sad that some people that call themselves UK fans still are glad they are gone or do not think they were good players for UK. Not many guys go to TWO Final Fours in two years played, but they did it.

Then again with Cal here, quite a few have done it in recent years with Lamb and Teague and Miller in 2011/2012, and DJ, WCS, Poy, and Lee in 2014/2015.
I couldn't agree more thanks for posting we were lucky they chose Kentucky

I wish them the best. I hope they are being talked about very soon as the 2 whose draft stock is on the rise.

I hope they wear out the competition at the combine!! Would love to see them both go in the 1st round!! Wish nothing but the best for 2 players that helped to bring UK 2 more Final 4's and a ton of positive attention!!

Agreed.

Teague was a one and done. Jones was a 2 timer with Lamb and Miller

I look at this way, the more players UK puts in the NBA, the better off UK is for it.

I don't know how much I believe that. This is one of the reasons the NBA adopted the one year out of high school rule. They were being fooled at workouts and against high school competition. They were dropping too much money into these kids. Now they get at least a year to watch them against college competition. Plus, no way the Harrison's would of done this intense of workouts had they been coming straight out of high school. Would of likely just done some shooting and skill drills. They are only doing the 5 on 5 stuff to help raise their stock.

A lot of people don't know it but the twins were not good shooters in HS they were close to being 30%. Some said it was because of them being doubled up but that wasn't it as I watched them many times and being doubled up was not the reason.
They were skilled players for their age in HS. They were not the best at something but just really good and solid guys. If I was ranking them I would have ranked them in the 40's. Said as much 2 years ago. I think they are damn fine college players but not the type of player you would assume a top 10 guy would be ala Knight, Wall, Davis etc.
Out of HS they would still have to go do private workouts for teams. After these workouts it would of told the tale of em.
Nothing wrong at all in goin over seas and earning a pay check. One of my best friends did that and made some money.

I think Andrew really upped his game this year. He's not a prototypical point, but he can get to the rim as well as hit the jumper. With his size, handles and shot, he would be a solid backup combo guard that could develop into a bigger role.

It seems like Aaron has a lot more to prove. His handle is shaky for a 2 guard and he needs to improve on his streakiness. Byt dude has liquid nitrogen in his veins. His run in 14 was unbelievable. If we had pulled it out against UConn, he'd already be a legend.

I hope to see them both do really well.

A lot of people don't know it but the twins were not good shooters in HS they were close to being 30%. Some said it was because of them being doubled up but that wasn't it as I watched them many times and being doubled up was not the reason.
They were skilled players for their age in HS. They were not the best at something but just really good and solid guys. If I was ranking them I would have ranked them in the 40's. Said as much 2 years ago. I think they are damn fine college players but not the type of player you would assume a top 10 guy would be ala Knight, Wall, Davis etc.
Out of HS they would still have to go do private workouts for teams. After these workouts it would of told the tale of em.
Nothing wrong at all in goin over seas and earning a pay check. One of my best friends did that and made some money.

Again, name one player who's stock dropped all the way out of the first round because of private workouts before the draft. Workouts are fine and all, but they weren't going to trump the consensus opinion that they were top 10 players. I'm glad you had them ranked in the 40s, and would love to see the evidence of that, and honestly in hindsight, they definitely were close to top 40 than top 10. You should consider becoming a scout... because every other scout had them in the top 10. I bet some of them even saw them work out.

Bottom line is they would have gone far higher without the one and done rule.

I think you're just putting too much stock into these workouts, even private ones. The players use NBA workouts to their advantage, not the other way around. You had a lot of mystery with kids coming straight out high school, still do with a lot of these picks. They weren't going to showcase any shortcoming's in their game. The only reason they are going to be doing as much as they are, is because they are so borderline thanks to scouts getting almost 80 games to watch them on the college level. This is exactly what the NBA wanted. They weren't getting all the information from high school games and camps. They changed the rules to give them more advantage. Maybe some scouts would of soured, maybe even some individual teams if they had done a private workout or two but some team would of taken a chance on both of them in the first round. They were too highly rated in high school in this hypothetical situation.

Again, name one player who's stock dropped all the way out of the first round because of private workouts before the draft. Workouts are fine and all, but they weren't going to trump the consensus opinion that they were top 10 players. I'm glad you had them ranked in the 40s, and would love to see the evidence of that, and honestly in hindsight, they definitely were close to top 40 than top 10. You should consider becoming a scout... because every other scout had them in the top 10. I bet some of them even saw them work out.

Bottom line is they would have gone far higher without the one and done rule.

Doubt it. Their are several HS talents who dropped down a good bit and didn't go in the top 10 or even lottery.
Travis Outlaw was the 23rd pick
Ndudi Ebi was the 26th pick
James Lang 48th pick
Jackie Butler undrafted
CJ Miles 34th pick
Ricky Sanchez 35th pick
Monta Ellis 40 pick
Louis Williams 45th pick
Andre Blatch 49th
amir Johnson 56th

I'm sure their are others but I have more important things to do.

Hoping Aaron gets hot from beyond the arc.

I've always thought he was a little better than his #s indicated.

maybe Aaron knows something we don't. I mean it's entirely possible or maybe even probable that when going against the heralded and top 20 pick Devin Booker everyday maybe he ate his lunch on the court. There is a reason Aaron played the meaningful minutes and Booker didn't.

Doubt it. Their are several HS talents who dropped down a good bit and didn't go in the top 10 or even lottery.
Travis Outlaw was the 23rd pick
Ndudi Ebi was the 26th pick
James Lang 48th pick
Jackie Butler undrafted
CJ Miles 34th pick
Ricky Sanchez 35th pick
Monta Ellis 40 pick
Louis Williams 45th pick
Andre Blatch 49th
amir Johnson 56th

I'm sure their are others but I have more important things to do.

Don't forget Josh Selby. He was #4 in the RSCI, and fell all the way to #49th in the draft. And now he's playing in Israel. Why? Because of Bill Self.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT