ADVERTISEMENT

If Pope wants to kill it on the recruiting trail, there's one man to turn to...

I remember going to the crazy ex-Kentucky players vs. the Dominicans. I think a young Karl Anthony Towns was actually on one of the benches at the time. Lots of NBA talent on the floor. I remember Wall being really fast, but the best player on the floor to me was Rondo. It was like he was seeing everything in slow motion. Just so good in all aspects of the game. Would of been one of the all time greats if his coach wasn't Tubby Smith...

I remember going to the crazy ex-Kentucky players vs. the Dominicans. I think a young Karl Anthony Towns was actually on one of the benches at the time. Lots of NBA talent on the floor. I remember Wall being really fast, but the best player on the floor to me was Rondo. It was like he was seeing everything in slow motion. Just so good in all aspects of the game. Would of been one of the all time greats if his coach wasn't Tubby Smith...
Not to great a shooter.

He is also noted as being one of the biggest a$$holes ever to go through Kentucky and in the league and extremely difficult to be around. Keep him away.
I think he's finally starting to calm down some. Think he may be alright by the time he gets his feet wet in coaching for a bit.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I'll throw a guy out there that needs a job--current G-League Team Ignite Coach and former Syracuse PG Jason Hart. He was teammates with Mark Pope in Milwaukee and has a lot of great connections in Grassroots/AAU world. He was an Assistant at USC under Andy Enfield and with Team Ignite shutting down-could be looking for work.

No rumor/info-just me throwing a name out there that could fill a recruiting void.

Are the best students good teachers

Best producer the best manager?

None of this means anything..just bc he has attributes doesn't mean they translate to growing players.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Rajon Rondo brings the one thing that Mark Pope needs immediately to knock it out of the park in recruiting and doesn't have and thats name recognition, and if he is half as basketball smart that all these NBA stars say it's a no brainer, can you imagine being a guard whether in the portal or high school senior it would be hard to pass up being coached by the Rajon Rondo.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Rajon Rondo brings the one thing that Mark Pope needs immediately to knock it out of the park in recruiting and doesn't have and thats name recognition, and if he is half as basketball smart that all these NBA stars say it's a no brainer, can you imagine being a guard whether in the portal or high school senior it would be hard to pass up being coached by the Rajon Rondo.
Pope could plausibly bring in a guy like Welch or Robic to run the offense, and still have spots open for a guy like Rondo or Wall. I know has been working toward his degree as well. Cal had four assistants, plus Ulis. Someone like Wall could jump into that Ulis role, with Rondo as an actual assistant.

My hero, Bill Russell, was acknowledged to be one of the fiercest competitors to ever play. Not just talented, but prepared, relentless, etc. He was also articulate, passionate, you name it.

As a player/coach in Boston, he won a title. But as just a coach, at several stops, he was a failure as a coach. Just sucked everywhere he went. Only thing he ever failed at near as I can tell.

When you're special, its not always easy to bring special out in others. Because everyone is different. For some you might see the game in a way they don't. For others, you might just get frustrated because you see talent but can't create the drive you had.

Larry Bird wasn't horrible, but obviously hated it. Kareem was horrible.

Let's be realistic. Mark and Mitch neither one would be comfortable with Rondo for the off-court reasons mentions. They have a bigger responsibility to protect the program AS WELL as ensure its prosperity. There is a way to do both.

Plus Rondo doesn't have a degree. So he nit eligible right now anyway.

I always heard on TV during games he was a bit of a cancer in the locker room. Never seemed to have a smile on his face ever.
The Kentucky version of Pitino, the Chicago version of Jordan, the game 7 version of Kobe, the Laker version of Riley...when did you see them smile, unless they were torching their opponents?

Killers have a different persona. They don't have a closing Full House segment of the show where everyone learns to get along and hugs their enemies. They kill you, bury you, and then dance upon your grave. And most of all, they find a way to win.

Rondo brings that to the table.

Reactions: Girthang
The Kentucky version of Pitino, the Chicago version of Jordan, the game 7 version of Kobe, the Laker version of Riley...when did you see them smile, unless they were torching their opponents?

Killers have a different persona. They don't have a closing Full House segment of the show where everyone learns to get along and hugs their enemies. They kill you, bury you, and then dance upon your grave. And most of all, they find a way to win.

Doesn’t change the locker room issues or lack of coaching experience

I'm excited to see what Pope can do. I am not gonna freak out if we don't get 4 or 5 Stud recruits every year. Honestly Ill be glad to get get "lesser" talent that we can build a program with. I'll admit Cal knows basketball way more then me but his philosophy seemed to be to just grab the best available without any regards of team need or system.

Not saying I want to go back to the later Tubby years or the BCG era but getting guys that fit is way better than just going after dudes because they are 5 stars.

I'd like a combo of not being afraid to go after 5 stars and also trying to find the best fit.

They do all but dance on your grave, but they're perfectly willing to kill you twice if you don't stay dead

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT