ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Talent is a False (Deceptive) Narrative

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
Some people will read this post as me defending Cal. (That is NOT the case!)

This is a simple observation of how a theme takes on a life of its own, and then it gets passed on from person to person.

One thing I keep hearing is that UK currently has more NBA talent than most teams we're playing. After thinking about this statement for 5 minutes, the statement is not a lie. However, it is very deceptive. The statement implies that a certain player (NBA talent) is better than the other team's player (who may or may not play in NBA) TODAY!!!! Present tense (TODAY) is what matters for this season, and this reality is what will impact this season. Below is my side-by-side comparison of our supposed NBA talent to UT players. Feel free to agree or disagree with my assessment.

UK Player (LInked to NBA) UT Player

Bradshaw -vs- Aidoo (Aidoo) Aidoo is much better this season than Bradshaw.
Dillingham -vs.- Zeigler (Dilly) Robert is probably our best player.
Reeves -vs- Knecht (Push) Both players are having excellent years.
Shepherd -vs- Vescovi (Shepherd) I love Shepherd, but Vescovi is a solid college player.
Edwards -vs- James (James) Josiah-Jordan James is a much better college player.
Wagner -vs- Zeigler (Push) All 3 games w/o Wagner turning into losses surprised me. You can sway me that he is better TODAY. But, I think TN loses 3 games against good competition w/o Zeigler.

Couple points. - In no way am I slamming our players. The fact some of them get labeled as "NBA talent" has more to do with the NBA than the actual player.
- This is not a post to defend Cal. I expect him to bring in players who can play at the highest level TODAY. Then, to retain and develop players who can contribute some time in the future.
- Wins and losses at UK are about players' ability today in the present! The fact that certain players have POTENTIAL to contribute in the NBA at some point in the future is NOT the same as being a good college player today.

Dillingham is the ONLY player who will contribute in the NBA next year, and the only one who has star potential. A few others will get drafted. A few of them will get drafted on what they MAY POSSIBLY do in the future.

The statement "UK has multiple NBA players." is a deceptive statement. I laugh when I hear the statement because it has little impact on us winning games this year!

Isn't it up to the coaches to get the most out of whatever talent they bring into the program?
Yes. I agree 110%!

I’m just saying that because player A gets drafted doesn’t make them a good/great player at that moment. NBA (especially late first round and 2nd round) are taking fliers on young players with POTENTIAL. Outside of Dillingham, (maybe Sheppard) everyone else is getting drafted on future potential and not current production. Yet, that part of the narrative doesn’t get told.

Everyone outside the lottery (which will be Rob & Reed) needs another year of college. But, this is a very weak class and 2 more players may hang onto first round status.

1st round is close to $4MIL of guaranteed $ in a short time window. I’ll never hold that against a player.

Nic Richards should be Bradshaw and Big Z’s model. He’s stuck in the NBA because of how he developed over 3 years. Richards wasn’t ready after 1 year. Edwards should follow PJ’s example.

I doubt any of those 3 return because someone in NBA will give them a contract, plus next year’s class is supposedly much stronger.

My OP is that saying this team has a bunch of NBA talent is a deceptive statement.

Reactions: AGEE11
wG2Q3RY.png

Shit at least has a useful function as a fertilizer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT