ADVERTISEMENT

tubby last class

Tubbys Tabbys, I'm grinning ear to ear reading your facts. If you remember I was banned for supporting Tubby, not for wanting him back, but because he was treated like a second class citizen.

Its interesting to read some of the quotes where posters are still belittling him even more. It is really sad that the hate for Tubby still exist.

Like TT, you have a bizarre definition for "hate"...it seems to be simply anyone that disagrees with you. You weren't banned for supporting Tubby, you were banned for being a troll.

Tubby's stat's belittle Tubby....UK fans can't change them so I guess what you want is to silence people from discussing them?

BTW, here's some other "haters".......

Tubby Hate...Minny Edition
Open letter to the Bluegrass State: Y'all were right

The facts are that Tubby's record from 1998 to 2005 compares favorably with any coach in the country during that period not named Krzyzewski, Calhoun or Izzo. He was 21-7 in the tournament. Not elite, but pretty damn good. He beat North Carolina four straight times including twice at UNC. He beat Crum by 30 and Mike Davis by 40, and he beat them in close games, too. He had a winning record against Louisville, too.

I'd compare him to someone like Gene Stallings at Alabama. Won a national title. Had his team in the top 10 (Elite Eight) a handful of times. Never won enough to appease the fan base, never lost enough to lose his job until the end.
. The top 10 list on the 2000s chart all had better coaches. Those statistics are a very good representation of consistency and quality of a program. Tubby was on par with Cincinatti, Wake Forest, and Maryland. That is company we should never keep.

It still cracks me up when I see Tubby honks claiming that he was brilliant just up until the end when he got tired of going after elite talent.

Tubby's most talented team was in 2002 with Prince, Bogans, Hayes, Fitch, Estill, etc. and he managed to shit the bed.

His 2 best talents at UK were Prince and Bogans. Those 2 were on a roster together for 3 seasons and UK never managed to avoid losing 10 games nor could they manage to make it so far as the Elite 8 once!

Tubby was a good guy and did manage to maintain the program to the point of it not turning into a dumpster fire. However, I can't say that anything he's done post-UK disputes the notion that UK propped him up far more than he propped up UK.

Yeah, what a lot of people don't know is that he took perry over Tyler hansbrough.

Wow...Lol...you couldn't be more wrong. OTS recruited the hell out of Hansbrough and he was down to UNC and UK and chose UNC, to our dismay, but UK did make his final two.

Anyone who would believe that OTS would have turned down Hansbrough for Bobby Perry is on drugs.

He did a good job of recruiting players who weren't good enough to play at UK and who seemed to have a knack for getting suspended for substance abuse issues a lot. For a man of such great character he wasn't always such a great judge of it. Michael Porter anyone? I can just imagine the entire Jules Camara episode taking place under Calipari's watch. How did it go again? Got pulled over, did the switch (drivers), Six foot, Eleven inch UK starter jumped out in the middle of Lexington and ran with or without the bag of grass? Or maybe Tubby's magic fax machine? That would go over like an anvil turd with John Calipari at as the UK coach. Good Lord, Tubby's moral character, indeed. Then the entire drama season with Rondo and Sparks and how well Tubby's leadership took care of those internal issues (such a saga). Not sure we could survive the media scrutiny of that one, so yeah, it's best that Coach Cal does a much better job of making sure shit like that never happens. JP Blevins got a year off for booze hounding under Tubby's watch. Myron Anthony? Desmond Allison (RIP). What other dope heads did Tubby bring to the team? And when Tubby's players weren't getting in trouble for their inability to control their drugs and alcohol their parents might be found going to prison. But nothing like ANY OF THAT has happened under Coach Cal, but if ANY of it did people like you would be right back on here talking about how Tubby was never investigated by the NCAA. Neat. Tell us more.
OK, I can tell you lots more, but lets just start with this. Concerning the alcohol problems, We all know what DID NOT happen when one of Cals assistants that sit next to him on the bench was arrested for DUI for the KNOWN second time. And I want to emphasize that was the times he was caught. We don't know how many times he was driving on the streets of Lexington under the influence.

"But nothing like ANY OF THAT has happened under Coach Cal" Tell me more.o_O

Tubby won at least one game in the NCAA tournament every year he was at Kentucky.

Do you understand what minutia is? I mean....yea, it's an accomplishment but lets say a team gets an 8 seed every year for 10 years, wins the first and loses in the second round, 10 times in a row. Is that coach special or great?

You seem really excited by a stat that I frankly can't seem to find any value relative to the program. It's a nice coach stat...not something I'd even bring up to a recruit though....."hey, we'll win at least 1 game in the NCAA, I can promise you that son, just look at my record"

OK, I can tell you lots more, but lets just start with this. Concerning the alcohol problems, We all know what DID NOT happen when one of Cals assistants that sit next to him on the bench was arrested for DUI for the KNOWN second time. And I want to emphasize that was the times he was caught. We don't know how many times he was driving on the streets of Lexington under the influence.

"But nothing like ANY OF THAT has happened under Coach Cal" Tell me more.o_O

Ok, you win. Strickland. An "of age" consumer of alcohol who got to take his own punishment. Thanks for making my point. Btw, is it too late to mention Michael Southall? The Tubby recruit from Michigan who couldn't even join the UK squad on account of his drug abuse and related criminal charges? I mean, honestly, how many times does one coach have to recruit players with drug problems before it becomes reasonable to question if the coach intended to do so? We know what that answer would be if that myriad of drug and alcohol conditions applied to the current UK coach and program. But it doesn't. It applied to Orlando Tubby Smith's program of virtue, magic fax machines, and moral NCAA disinterest.

One of the most bizarre things in the tubby era was the Adam Williams recruitment. Wasn't it rumored that the kid committed without an offer and tubby didn't want to tell him no ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT