ADVERTISEMENT

Is Drew Tubby 2.0???

Jan 11, 2016
All I see is talk about Drew “ I guess that means we’re out on Hurley???”. I would be fine with Drew, not my first choice but I think he will be “OK”. If Drew comes here and he’s ends up being Tubby 2.0. Kentucky will be in the same place we’re at now in five years. This fan base will revote. I heard someone say the other day if we hire Hurley as the coach. Not one fan can complain if it goes south with him because he’s who we wanted. If Drew comes in and does not do well, Mitch Barnhart will be on the chopping block because this is his guy. Mitch will get the same energy that Cal has gotten for the last four years.

Well, if he is we should have a championship soon, also average over 25 wins a year. If he starts faltering after several years, then we know he will leave when he realizes he's not getting the job done.

Reactions: chroix and BlueBomb
So just because you see talk about Drew you think that means we're out on Hurley? This is just a message board. Nobody here knows anything.

Tubby was a very good coach. He had 2-3 "average" years. The last 10 years of Cal have been 5 "average" years and 5 terrible years.

Drew is more qualified on paper to be UK's coach than any coach we've hired - more qualified than both Tubby and Cal were.

Drew seems like a high floor low ceiling guy. Can he keep UK competitive, yes. Can he go to multiple final fours here? His record says otherwise. Only been to 1 final 4, and only been out of the first weekend a total of 3 times in the past decade.

Drew is more qualified on paper to be UK's coach than any coach we've hired - more qualified than both Tubby and Cal were.
According to the comments of a lot of 'fans' on this board and their expectations....none of our head coaches would have' cut the mustard' in the coaching search.

Well, if he is we should have a championship soon, also average over 25 wins a year. If he starts faltering after several years, then we know he will leave when he realizes he's not getting the job done.
I hope you’re right. I think Drew can get the job done here. The problem is I think he’s a B+ to A- Coach. This fan base expects an A+ Coach at all time. If he starts not holding up to expectations, I think fan base will revolt. Not because they are blaming Drew but because they will have someone to blame in Mitch Barnhart.

Drew seems like a high floor low ceiling guy. Can he keep UK competitive, yes. Can he go to multiple final fours here? His record says otherwise. Only been to 1 final 4, and only been out of the first weekend a total of 3 times in the past decade.

Baylor was in position to make a final four during the canceled season. Also would have been in a final four in 2012 had they not ran into Kentucky,

It’s VERY EASY to say things out of his control and a generational talent kept him from 3 final fours and 2 titles at Baylor.

This is at BAYLOR.

BAYLOR. A horrible job in a horrible place. Some of you have got to accept that. You might not want him but he’s HIGHLY QUALIFIED for this job.

People here make this mistake of assuming that he will have the same results here that he has had at Baylor. We call ourselves the "Gold Standard" and want to act like other jobs are equal and that there is no Kentucky benefit. His resume is crazy good for Baylor. There is no reason to assume that with the resources of the "Greatest Program of All Time" that he won't have improved results.

• Love
Reactions: MrASinex and KFuqua
So just because you see talk about Drew you think that means we're out on Hurley? This is just a message board. Nobody here knows anything.

Tubby was a very good coach. He had 2-3 "average" years. The last 10 years of Cal have been 5 "average" years and 5 terrible years.

I never said I thought that we were out on Hurley. I simply asked a question. I literally have zero idea what’s going on. If I said, I think we’re out on Hurley. I would be lying because I literally have no idea.

I’d rather have Hurley because he’s crushing the basketball world but to achieve sustained success at Baylor, to win a national title there is impressive and he would have far more resources in Lexington….he’s not my top choice but UK fans are way to Negative about Drew…we could do far worse. I hope to see a real run at Hurley first though of course.

I hope you’re right. I think Drew can get the job done here. The problem is I think he’s a B+ to A- Coach. This fan base expects an A+ Coach at all time. If he starts not holding up to expectations, I think fan base will revolt. Not because they are blaming Drew but because they will have someone to blame in Mitch Barnhart.

Don’t blame the fans. MB has become pretty tone deaf to the fans over his career. If Drew doesn’t work, it’ll be because the boosters.

He is at Baylor.

It's like a guy showing up at a tractor pull in a pickup

It’s like God giving him the heart of John Holmes but the region that looks like a worm trying to escape a birds nest.

I don’t know why people cannot understand this. They’re literally putting our program down by making the case he’s not qualified. Kentucky either matters or it doesn’t. If it does, Drew is the best possible candidate not named Hurley. And he might be a better one than Hurley!!

Kentucky would elevate the crap out of that guy. So much so that I’m not ever sure Donovan is the better hire. The only reason he’s not at a blue blood RIGHT NOW is because there hasn’t been one open. I would almost guarantee if Kansas was open Scott Drew would have been their first call. I guarantee it. The guy is more qualified than Bill Self was leaving Illinois.

I’d rather have Hurley because he’s crushing the basketball world but to achieve sustained success at Baylor, to win a national title there is impressive and he would have far more resources in Lexington….he’s not my top choice but UK fans are way to Negative about Drew…we could do far worse. I hope to see a real run at Hurley first though of course.
This is a good take. I 100% agree with you. I just hope the rest of the crazy of this fan can get on board with that. It just worries me that since Drew is not the fan bases first choice. They’re always gonna have their pitchforks out ready to pounce. Drew is Mitch’s guy and if he doesn’t do well, Mitch is in for one hell of a ride.

If Drew is hired here I feel like he’s not leaving for some time regardless his record. With him and Mitch being big buddies he’ll have as long a leash as he would like or until Mitch is gone

It’s like God giving him the heart of John Holmes but the region that looks like a worm trying to escape a birds nest.

I don’t know why people cannot understand this. They’re literally putting our program down by making the case he’s not qualified. Kentucky either matters or it doesn’t. If it does, Drew is the best possible candidate not named Hurley. And he might be a better one than Hurley!!

Kentucky would elevate the crap out of that guy. So much so that I’m not ever sure Donovan is the better hire. The only reason he’s not at a blue blood RIGHT NOW is because there hasn’t been one open. I would almost guarantee if Kansas was open Scott Drew would have been their first call. I guarantee it. The guy is more qualified than Bill Self was leaving Illinois.
Agreed.

Was Cal an A+ coach before he came here? I don’t think so. He hit that level for five years. No reason Drew can’t do the same.

This is a good take. I 100% agree with you. I just hope the rest of the crazy of this fan can get on board with that. It just worries me that since Drew is not the fan bases first choice. They’re always gonna have their pitchforks out ready to pounce. Drew is Mitch’s guy and if he doesn’t do well, Mitch is in for one hell of a ride.
I agree. He’s not my first choice but he’s not a bad choice and he’s talked about in a pretty negative light…he’s not Billy Gillespie…and hey in 1989 a guy named Rick Pitino was actually UK’s third choice.

gmc-canyon.jpg

Baylor

Kentucky

intro-1703188038.jpg

Any questions?

Reactions: chroix
All I see is talk about Drew “ I guess that means we’re out on Hurley???”. I would be fine with Drew, not my first choice but I think he will be “OK”. If Drew comes here and he’s ends up being Tubby 2.0. Kentucky will be in the same place we’re at now in five years. This fan base will revote. I heard someone say the other day if we hire Hurley as the coach. Not one fan can complain if it goes south with him because he’s who we wanted. If Drew comes in and does not do well, Mitch Barnhart will be on the chopping block because this is his guy. Mitch will get the same energy that Cal has gotten for the last four years.

Barney doesn't care. In 4 to 5 years he will be retired I assume.

If Drew wins a title in that timeframe barney is vindicated. If he doesn't, who cares because I'm retired suckas will be his response.

Nobody knows what he'll be until he gets here. You can't base anything on history when KENTUCKY is involved. 5 different coaches have one a NC.

I don't see the comparison of Drew and Tubby except they are both good people. Tubby was an up-and-coming coach taking a Tulsa program to the sweet 16 and then having success and Georgia when UK hired him. He was a Pitino assistant and that was important back then to keep the continuity of what Pitino had started. Drew is an established coach that built a program from the scrap heap to a National Championship. He has remained fairly consistent over the last 10 years keeping his program in the top 20.

Was Cal an A+ coach before he came here? I don’t think so. He hit that level for five years. No reason Drew can’t do the same.
Agree, but also, this is my point. if he doesn’t become an A+ coach here it will be bad. Support for Cal the first 10 years he was here because he did become an A+ coach. As soon as he wasn’t, it got ugly.

I don't see the comparison of Drew and Tubby except they are both good people. Tubby was an up-and-coming coach taking a Tulsa program to the sweet 16 and then having success and Georgia when UK hired him. He was a Pitino assistant and that was important back then to keep the continuity of what Pitino had started. Drew is an established coach that built a program from the scrap heap to a National Championship. He has remained fairly consistent over the last 10 years keeping his program in the top 20.

The comparisons to Drew are ridiculous. He’s both been compared here to Calipari and Tubby, two coaches who are neither alike nor like Drew.

People have fallen into a trap of wanting to be entertained vs. living by the math. I think it’s going to be Donovan now, but my gut tells me Drew is the better hire here.

Agree, but also, this is my point. if he doesn’t become an A+ coach here it will be bad. Support for Cal the first 10 years he was here because he did become an A+ coach. As soon as he wasn’t, it got ugly.

No guarantees ever so at some point every AD is gambling a little. I think this is a safe bet. Hurley would be better but doubt he’s a real option.

He is at Baylor.

It's like a guy showing up at a tractor pull in a pickup
While I understand that, and I'm not anti-Drew....it comes down to how well you succeed with the talent you have. He's had some talented rosters over the past few years and didn't make it out of the first round. I think the Baylor thing might have been true 15 years ago, but recruits now probably think that Baylor has always been a top 20 program. What he did to get that program to where they are now is amazing. But, at some point, you have to throw that out the window and ask how he performs based on the talent he gets.

Reactions: USARMYWILDCAT
None of the greatest coaches out there were that lofty before they got to their blue bloods.

We wouldn’t have hired Hurley or Self when Kansas and UConn did because we would’ve said “they haven’t done anything yet”

You’ve got to be forward thinking

Short answer, yes. I posed the same thought yesterday. His ceiling isn’t as high as Calipari’s peak, but his floor is higher. He’s good, not the best in the country. I doubt we hate him, but I also doubt we weep when his time is up here.

A caller on KSR yesterday summed up my feelings: he’s unseasoned ramen noodles.

The national title guarantees that. The thing about Tubby and Cal is they were both at their peek. Cal was 1 year removed from Elite Eight, Elite Eight, Runner Up (his best 3 year run) and Tubby was 1 year removed from Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Sweet 16 (his best 3 year run). Scott Drew is in his worst 3 year run since the mid 2000's. That to me is the difference where I'm not overly excited about him.

The national title guarantees that. The thing about Tubby and Cal is they were both at their peek. Cal was 1 year removed from Elite Eight, Elite Eight, Runner Up (his best 3 year run) and Tubby was 1 year removed from Sweet 16, Sweet 16, Sweet 16 (his best 3 year run). Scott Drew is in his worst 3 year run since the mid 2000's. That to me is the difference where I'm not overly excited about him.
Point taken but Cal only made the S16 the year before he took the UK job.
08 - Runner up
07 - Elite 8
Tubby was bounced first round by UTC the year before he took the UK job.

Point taken but Cal only made the S16 the year before he took the UK job.
08 - Runner up
07 - Elite 8
Yep...that's why I said 1 year removed for both he and Tubby. But, it was pretty obvious they were at the apex of their career when they came to UK. It's obvious with Hurley and Oates too. It's not obvious with Drew.

Reactions: SkyPrince1
Yes. And the next guy is BCG 2.0
Oh I remember the UK's "Coaching Cycle".

If we go the traditional route...

Great = Rupp
Good = Hall
Drunk = Sutton
-
Great = Pitino
Good = Tubby
Drunk = Gilispie
-
Great = Calipari
Good = ???? ( Drew would fit this cycle )

But hold up!!!!!

In a weird way, Calipari's entire tenure went through that cycle.

Great Cal = 2009-2015
Good Cal = 2016-2020
Drunk Lazy Cal = 2021-2024

If the latter is true... come on down Dan Hurley!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT