ADVERTISEMENT

tubby last class

The only way Kentucky was going to get Tyler Hansborough was to offer his mother an on-campus six figure job, the promise she could travel on UK's dime to watch her other son play at Notre Dame, and other inducements aligned with her appetites.

UNCHeats was hard to beat on recruitments like that.

Reminds me of Branden Wright, who we obviously had zero chance at knowing what we know now about not having to take classes your first year on campus.
Wright just screwed Roy over leaving as a OAD. I would have liked to see that guy play in UK Blue. He was perfect as our replacement to Erik Daniels.

Compare Tubby to Joe B. Hall, who most people on here love. I like Joe B myself.

Tubby was 10-0 in first round NCAA games. Joe B. didn't make the tournament in 1974, 1976 or 1979. He lost in the first round in 1981 and 1982.

Hall also went to 3 Final Fours. I agree that Hall would be blasted a ton if he had been here in a later era of the internet era.

Compare Tubby to Joe B. Hall, who most people on here love. I like Joe B myself.

Tubby was 10-0 in first round NCAA games. Joe B. didn't make the tournament in 1974, 1976 or 1979. He lost in the first round in 1981 and 1982.

you do realize the difference between the NCAA tournament in the 70's & now, don't you?

I will say this, you love you some Tubby!! :)

you do realize the difference between the NCAA tournament in the 70's & now, don't you?

I will say this, you love you some Tubby!! :)
Are you suggesting that he only won those 1st rd games by playing cupcakes? How does a team get to play cupcakes in the 1st rd?

Reactions: EvilMD
Don't hit him with facts. You love Tubby!

the fact is that in the 70's there were only 32 teams in the tournament...made a small difference in the quality team you faced in the 1st or 2nd round when compared to today.

you conveniently left that little factoid out.

the fact is that in the 70's there were only 32 teams in the tournament...made a small difference in the quality team you faced in the 1st or 2nd round when compared to today.

you conveniently left that little factoid out.

When Joe B lost to UAB and Middle Tennessee in 81 and 82, there were 48 teams in the tournament.

Tubby was a good Coach..best x and o coach we ever had....

Based on what, exactly? This is just like its near cousin, the claim that Cal isn't a good x and o coach. Both perceptions are based on....perceptions, far as I can tell. People just say it, and before long it's accepted conventional thinking.....What was that Nazi saying, "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it...." Tubby wasn't a bad x and o guy, but he wasn't a wizard either. It persists. I think it sort of took root in the Duke tournament game in '98, when he smartly did not call a timeout, Duke being on the ropes and out of TOs. Shrewed move, yes, but not really towering genius......

When Joe B lost to UAB and Middle Tennessee in 81 and 82, there were 48 teams in the tournament.

yea, true, and when UAB beat us in the 2004 tournament we were the #1 team & they were a 9 seed...in the 2nd round, yes, with 32 teams left. You will have to remind me who the coach was then.
and im guessing you're just going to continue to leave the impression that the 81 loss was in the 1st round...

how many teams were there in "74, 76 & 79?"

yea, true, and when they beat us in the 2004 tournament we were the #1 team & they were a 9 seed...in the 2nd round, yes, with 32 teams left. You will have to remind me who the coach was then.

how many teams were there in "74, 76 & 79?"

I don't know, but we didn't make the tournament those years so what does it matter? In 79 we lost in the first round of the NIT at home. In 74 we were 13-13.

Tubby never lost a first round game. That includes two 8-9 games at the end. It's not the greatest accomplishment ever but I'd be willing to bet you think Coach K is the best coach out there and he DID lose in the first round...twice. With 68 teams in the tournament.

I don't know, but we didn't make the tournament those years so what does it matter? In 79 we lost in the first round of the NIT at home. In 74 we were 13-13.

Tubby never lost a first round game. That includes two 8-9 games at the end. It's not the greatest accomplishment ever but I'd be willing to bet you think Coach K is the best coach out there and he DID lose in the first round...twice. With 68 teams in the tournament.

here's why it matters to your argument...

in those 2 years where Tubby won a 1st round game as an 8-9 seed, his teams likely wouldn't have made the tournament under the 70's rules.
but, yeah, keep on using apples & oranges to prop Tubby up.

oh, and I couldn't care less about Coach K.

Last edited:
here's why it matters to your argument...

in those 2 years where Tubby won a 1st round game as an 8-9 seed, his teams likely wouldn't have made the tournament under the 70's rules.
but, yeah, keep on using apples & oranges to prop Tubby up.

oh, and I couldn't care less about Coach K.

There were a lot fewer Division I teams in the 1970s. And it was before they factored in strength of schedule (at least anywhere near the degree they do now), so you could win 10 games a year at home against cupcakes. It works both ways.

Tubby won at least one game in the NCAA tournament every year he was at Kentucky. Even Cal can't say that. You can obfuscate all you want to. There aren't too many coaches even today who have won at least one game in the last 10 NCAA tournaments. Let me know if you think of one.

ok, im obfuscating...but im not the one who continued to claim that Joe B lost in the 1st round of the NCAA in 2 consecutive years, when it didn't happen.

I will bow out of this one, other than to say I don't see winning 1 game in the NCAA in 10 years, or 20, or whatever, as that huge of a deal. At least not when you are the UK coach...maybe if he had been at UGA or Tulsa all those 10 years, but not here.

And I said it wasn't the greatest accomplishment, just that it was something not many can claim. How about this....Joe Hall was 0-1 in the tournament in 1981 and 1982. In 81 we lost to UAB, which got destroyed by Indiana the following game. In 82 we lost to Middle Tennessee, which got destroyed by U of L the following game. The UAB program was like four years old when we lost to them in 81. We had beaten them earlier that year.

It was a bad loss, and you don't expect a blue blood program to go 0-1 in the NCAA tournament. Especially when you're ranked top three at the start of the season. Those teams had Minniefield, Master, Beal, Hord, Hurt, Turpin and Bearup. All elite recruits.

The 2000s were bad enough, but the future was even worse. Which is why I'm glad he left when he did; he would not have fared much better at all than Gillispie. In fact, Tubby had left this program in such bad shape that this was one of the main reasons they though Gillispie would be a good hire, as he had a history of turning crap into something edible.

Now, that didn't work out either and that is completely Billy G's fault. But you guys really think that guys like Jai Lucas and AJ Stewart were going to return this program back to prominence and contending for national titles??? Really?!

Tubby's performance post-Kentucky pretty much seals the deal on the "Tubby is a great coach" debate. UK made Tubby. You have to be completely incompetent (hello Billy G!) to not at least be pretty good here. I'm not even sure if Tubbs would be in my top 50 if I made up a list of best college coaches. Seems like a nice guy though.

Teams in NCAA Tourney
  • 1953–1974: varied between 22 and 25 teams
  • 1975–1978: 32 teams
  • 1979: 40 teams
Really...you could take the Tubby goggles off and do some of this analysis yourself.

Who's bragging? You have a problem reading into people's posts always looking for an argument.

I'm not looking for an argument...I'm posting facts and you're posting emotions. You just obviously don't like people disagreeing with you (they are arguing....not you of course)

Back to the top 5 elite coach claim....how is it possible for such a great coach to have led UK to it's worst top 5 ranking decade?

Teams in NCAA Tourney
  • 1953–1974: varied between 22 and 25 teams
  • 1975–1978: 32 teams
  • 1979: 40 teams
Really...you could take the Tubby goggles off and do some of this analysis yourself.

Tubby was never 13-13. Tubby never lost at home in the first round of the NIT. Of course, he never had UK in the NIT. He wasn't Cal or Pitino. But he wasn't Tom Crean, either.

I'm not looking for an argument...I'm posting facts and you're posting emotions. You just obviously don't like people disagreeing with you (they are arguing....not you of course)

Back to the top 5 elite coach claim....how is it possible for such a great coach to have led UK to it's worst top 5 ranking decade?

Your "facts" are not facts. I said that Tubby was good up until 2005. Your "top 5 ranking" stat is for the entire decade. Tubby's last two years sucked. I don't think there is anyone on this board who will say otherwise. BCG's two years were even worse. That would explain your "fact".

Tubby's biggest problem is he was too lazy to wade into the Elite talent pool of the AAU circuit. Half of his best recruits were guys who backed out of commitments elsewhere. He wasn't a salesman. At all.

Recruiting is part of coaching just like dribbling is part of playing. If you can shoot great but can't dribble a lick....I doubt you'd even make the top 100 recruits.

To anoint Tubby as great by cherry picking the qualifications is intellectually dishonest. As someone previously said, Minny and TT have pretty much validated who made who look good.

I said he was top five from 1998-2005. I stand by that. If you think that's not possible, consider John Thompson at Georgetown and Nolan Richardson at Arkansas.

Quit making straw men. How many times have I said in this thread that he was awful his last two years here? You don't like Tubby so you keep conflating all these stats against him.

Your "facts" are not facts. I said that Tubby was good up until 2005. Your "top 5 ranking" stat is for the entire decade. Tubby's last two years sucked. I don't think there is anyone on this board who will say otherwise. BCG's two years were even worse. That would explain your "fact".

Actually....I made those previous screenshots a long time ago, probably before Tubby left. His total is the same for 1998 to 2005 so I didn't bother to snap a screenshot.

Here are the current numbers....try another spin.

Try it yourself here

98-07_zpsjeicvp8b.png

10-15_zpsybivaxr2.png

Draymond Green was perfect for Tubby's system. UK would've rebounded eventually. It worked out great for us in the end though. Wouldn't change that.

Quit making straw men. How many times have I said in this thread that he was awful his last two years here? You don't like Tubby so you keep conflating all these stats against him.

Again with the emotions....the content of my posts are stats, how do you conclude that I don't like Tubby without also saying that historical stats don't like Tubby? That's a weak rebuttal.

When you toss in 2008-2015....history must hate Tubby (by your logic). It's obvious you desperately want to believe the myth but you've failed horribly trying to support it (the Hall thing, E8 bragging thing and this denial of his ability to field a consistent AP top 5 team.

I don't mind people living in their altered reality...just don't bring it to the forums if you can't back it up.

Reactions: thebluestripes
Tubby had good times and bad times. We all want to win, but the fans who hated Tubby during the good times were god awful.

I'm still not sure what barryn and 3rex are trying to prove. I said he was a top five coach for the first eight years of his stay here, and crap his last two. That doesn't mean he was top five every single year. Just over that span. Illinois is ahead of us on that list, but all those weeks came during one season. Maryland had two great seasons. How many of those programs on your list were a top five seed all eight of those seasons? How many made it out of the first round all eight of those seasons. Four of those eight seasons we made the Elite Eight. You think Illinois and Maryland fans wouldn't love to make four of the next eight Elite Eights?

Patterson was absolutely, 100%, not coming to play for Tubby. I remember reading an interview where is mom said they were looking at places to possibly live in Florida. One of the few things Billy did right was closing the door on PPat, getting Darius, Orton a

You're wrong on this one. I remember reading her quotes in the Herald Leader after Tubby left and they were very similar to these.

Patterson took the news hard, according to his mother, Tywanna, who used the words “hurt,” “sad,” “shocked” and “mad” to describe her son’s reaction to the news.

“Like a family member had died,” she said.

Patterson’s mother said her son hoped to talk to Smith last night and said Kentucky would have been in Patterson’s final three before Smith took the Minnesota job yesterday. When asked about UK’s chances now that Smith is gone, the player’s mother responded, “It doesn’t look good right now for Kentucky. That’s all I can say.”

http://virginia.sportswar.com/blog/...ake-that-tubby-has-wrought-in-patterson-land/

In 1998 he won the national title.
In 1999 he made the Elite Eight.
In 2001 and 2002 he made the Sweet 16.
In 2003 he won 26 consecutive games, finished undefeated in the SEC, won the SEC tourney and made the Elite 8
In 2004 he had the number one seed in the NCAA tourn.
In 2005 he made the Elite Eight

Coach K. Calhoun. Name me three more coaches who were better than Tubby (with numbers to back your case) in that time frame.

Tubby's last two seasons were awful. Hard to watch. But his first eight seasons he held his own. His tournament record was 21-7. There was no argument to be made that he was the best, but you could very easily argue he was top five.

I love it when Tubbys only defense is winning regular season games. If the SEC was stacked I'd listen, but come on...it's the SEC.

Tubby's biggest problem is he was too lazy to wade into the Elite talent pool of the AAU circuit. Half of his best recruits were guys who backed out of commitments elsewhere. He wasn't a salesman. At all.
Tubbys Tabbys, I'm grinning ear to ear reading your facts. If you remember I was banned for supporting Tubby, not for wanting him back, but because he was treated like a second class citizen.

Its interesting to read some of the quotes where posters are still belittling him even more. It is really sad that the hate for Tubby still exist.
When Tubby came to KY he had just won 20+ games in two back- to- back seasons which was the first time in Georgia basketball history for that to happen. In his second and last year at Georgia, Tubby won 24 and lost 9 after losing 8 seniors and all five starters from the year before. I know, I know, somebody elses players {lol} can't wait to hear that lol.

But where Tubby really separates him self from most of the rest is his integrity and honesty.
The guy who can't coach middle school is a Hall of Famer. He is still the only UK coach in history to take every team he coached to the NCAA tourney. Always advanced to 2nd round or higher. The NIT was never mentioned during his tenure.
`
One of the most disgusting things that he was criticized for was missing part of the Memorial to Bill Keightley, a dear friend. It was later reported that Tubby's plane had mechanical problems and Tubby arrived later to take part in the services.. He was also accused of not telling his players he was leaving for Minny. That was not true .And probably where his character stood out the most was that he never was investigated by the NCAA or had to vacate one single game.

Tubbys Tabbys, I'm grinning ear to ear reading your facts. If you remember I was banned for supporting Tubby, not for wanting him back, but because he was treated like a second class citizen.

Its interesting to read some of the quotes where posters are still belittling him even more. It is really sad that the hate for Tubby still exist.
When Tubby came to KY he had just won 20+ games in two back- to- back seasons which was the first time in Georgia basketball history for that to happen. In his second and last year at Georgia, Tubby won 24 and lost 9 after losing 8 seniors and all five starters from the year before. I know, I know, somebody elses players {lol} can't wait to hear that lol.

But where Tubby really separates him self from most of the rest is his integrity and honesty.
The guy who can't coach middle school is a Hall of Famer. He is still the only UK coach in history to take every team he coached to the NCAA tourney. Always advanced to 2nd round or higher. The NIT was never mentioned during his tenure.
`
One of the most disgusting things that he was criticized for was missing part of the Memorial to Bill Keightley, a dear friend. It was later reported that Tubby's plane had mechanical problems and Tubby arrived later to take part in the services.. He was also accused of not telling his players he was leaving for Minny. That was not true .And probably where his character stood out the most was that he never was investigated by the NCAA or had to vacate one single game.

He did a good job of recruiting players who weren't good enough to play at UK and who seemed to have a knack for getting suspended for substance abuse issues a lot. For a man of such great character he wasn't always such a great judge of it. Michael Porter anyone? I can just imagine the entire Jules Camara episode taking place under Calipari's watch. How did it go again? Got pulled over, did the switch (drivers), Six foot, Eleven inch UK starter jumped out in the middle of Lexington and ran with or without the bag of grass? Or maybe Tubby's magic fax machine? That would go over like an anvil turd with John Calipari at as the UK coach. Good Lord, Tubby's moral character, indeed. Then the entire drama season with Rondo and Sparks and how well Tubby's leadership took care of those internal issues (such a saga). Not sure we could survive the media scrutiny of that one, so yeah, it's best that Coach Cal does a much better job of making sure shit like that never happens. JP Blevins got a year off for booze hounding under Tubby's watch. Myron Anthony? Desmond Allison (RIP). What other dope heads did Tubby bring to the team? And when Tubby's players weren't getting in trouble for their inability to control their drugs and alcohol their parents might be found going to prison. But nothing like ANY OF THAT has happened under Coach Cal, but if ANY of it did people like you would be right back on here talking about how Tubby was never investigated by the NCAA. Neat. Tell us more.

Reactions: Raroyder
Tubby was a great coach (for eight years), but not a good CEO of the program, which is necessary at UK. Why people need to act like he was the black Gillispie is beyond me, though.

Just curious, has there ever been a 'great' coach that had EIGHT consecutive years with out a winning conference record? I'm sure there are none. The last 8 years prove beyond a reasonable doubt the answer to that question. Could it be that incompetence caught up?

I'm still not sure what barryn and 3rex are trying to prove. I said he was a top five coach for the first eight years of his stay here, and crap his last two. That doesn't mean he was top five every single year. Just over that span. Illinois is ahead of us on that list, but all those weeks came during one season. Maryland had two great seasons. How many of those programs on your list were a top five seed all eight of those seasons? How many made it out of the first round all eight of those seasons. Four of those eight seasons we made the Elite Eight. You think Illinois and Maryland fans wouldn't love to make four of the next eight Elite Eights?

You are the one trying to prove something...and using cherry picked numbers to do so. I'm not even trying to disprove...just pointing out that your premise is rigged & flawed. You ignore the "body of work" and then use a lowered bar on the metrics you do use. Your attempt to use Joe B's numbers, ignoring expansion of the field was telling...a dictionary perfect example of confirmation bias. You obviously have an emotional investment in the issue.

Again....with the Elite 8's....please stop. You can't use a Maryland or Illinois yardstick to measure a UK coach and then declare greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT