ADVERTISEMENT

tubby last class

Nov 11, 2014
The one before Gillespie took over. I remember we would have gotten draymond green. Who else was coming? Was he the only commit? Great player green turn out to be but he was only a three stars if I remember correctly.

I was thinking he was a 4-star.

But he was in the Junior class when Tubby left. Tubby's signees were Stewart and Williams for that Senior class. Patterson was probably coming regardless of who the coach was because of UK was close to home for him. I think we had a good chance to get Jai Lucas that year, too. Might have signed Legion as well, but we know how he turned out.

That probably would have been a good class for Tubby.

Add Green the next year and Miller (Kentucky boy would have played for us no matter who the coach was). We were looking at Lucas, Meeks, Miller, Green, and Patterson as our likely starters in 2008-09. A little better than what Gillispie brought in.

How is Tubby still employed at Texas Tech? They have to know TT will be bottom of the barrel again next season.

How is Tubby still employed at Texas Tech? They have to know TT will be bottom of the barrel again next season.

Because Tubby inherited a dumpster fire and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Lubbock is not an appealing location to begin with, so they will give him time to get the program up.

Draymond Green was a junior when Tubby left, we also had a commitment from the big 7 footer who ended up going to Xavier.
As far as Patterson goes he was not coming here if Tubby was here. He was going to pick between Duke and Florida. Of those two he was going to pick the school opposite of where Jai Lucas was going. Jai got on his nerves super bad from what I was told and I believe very much so who told me this. Under my other handle I predicted this would happen. I was hoping Jai would go elsewhere and not step foot on campus here much to the dismay of most every UK can on the board. I watched him play several times and he sucked. WAY over ranked. Billy G persuaded him to come to UK after an in home visit and he mapped out his schedule and everything he was going to be doing as a cat. It was impressive to them enough to commit if Jai wasn't coming of course. Lol.
I thought a couple of his recruits had potential but were just so raw like Stewart but Williams was beyond awful and couldn't sniff the court for Eastern or even Northern Ky or Kentucky St. Tubby never saw the kid play, tubby just went and visited him and was amazed at how big he was and offered him. No shit that's what he did lol. Roy Williams pulled one over on us when he acted like he was all in on Jared Carter and he wasn't
What's funny is that Tubby landed some guys that were just really nice players and others that had no business with an offer to any Div 1 program.
I think though if Tubby didn't leave Jai Lucas would of been our pg and Patterson would be going to Florida.

Tubby signed a 3 year contract.C.M Newton brokered it to get Texas Tech back on track..Then Tubby is retiring back to Lexington where he still owns a house.

Because Tubby inherited a dumpster fire and I don't think anyone would disagree with that. Lubbock is not an appealing location to begin with, so they will give him time to get the program up.
1 more year then retirement Tubby told me several weeks ago..

Very false. Tyler simply chose UNC.
That is true. Brewer was wanting to come to UK but Tubby didn't think he would do well so he went to Florida. Durant in an interview by a Duke reporter asked him which school did he want to hear from the most. Durant responded that the one school he wanted to hear from was Ky and we were not even trying to talk to him. I was told that it was because he was skinny just like Brewer and Tubby didn't think he would fit in that well here.

What boggles my mind is that we offered Perry Stevenson and when he stepped foot on campus he was 171 lbs.

This brings back memories.

Remember everyone thought we had Wright, Kemp, Young, and Thompson in the bag.

Someone posted they knew who we were getting and then put "WKYT" for the initials.

I think that was Hoover, wasn't it?

That was his "death knell" so to speak, if memory serves.

That is true. Brewer was wanting to come to UK but Tubby didn't think he would do well so he went to Florida. Durant in an interview by a Duke reporter asked him which school did he want to hear from the most. Durant responded that the one school he wanted to hear from was Ky and we were not even trying to talk to him. I was told that it was because he was skinny just like Brewer and Tubby didn't think he would fit in that well here.

What boggles my mind is that we offered Perry Stevenson and when he stepped foot on campus he was 171 lbs.

What does Corey Brewer have to do with TH?

Two completely different situations.

Some KY fans are complete idiots and don't know sh...about what they talking about. Tubby was a good Coach..best x and o coach we ever had.. Just didn't get the recruits we needed to get over the hump.... It's somethings that happened behind the scenes that a lot of KY fans don't know. Tubby didn't follow the program that some alumni wanted him to follow.. Integrity... But Billy G.. Succumbed too... And led to his down fall.... it's just Crazy how some fans... Well fair weather fans support our coaches and player when they active in our program. But soon Jump ship when they not.. The same fans who get upset cause some journalist don't pick KY number 1 or too when it all. Or when a recruit decides to go elsewhere..... I see why the nation hates our fans.. Support your team 100 percent... Stop being fair weather fans...

KyGent,
Best X's and O's coach we ever had?? hahaaa, you're a funny man. In all honesty, I think Billy G could've done better with Rondo, Estill, Erik Daniels, Cliff Hawkins and Chuck Hayes. Tubby reminds me of my nephew in Little League---hits a homerun his first at bat and doesnt give a chit about the rest of the game.

Patterson was absolutely, 100%, not coming to play for Tubby. I remember reading an interview where is mom said they were looking at places to possibly live in Florida. One of the few things Billy did right was closing the door on PPat, getting Darius, Orton a

KyGent,
Best X's and O's coach we ever had?? hahaaa, you're a funny man. In all honesty, I think Billy G could've done better with Rondo, Estill, Erik Daniels, Cliff Hawkins and Chuck Hayes. Tubby reminds me of my nephew in Little League---hits a homerun his first at bat and doesnt give a chit about the rest of the game.
Man do you hate Tubby that bad sad, sad my Lord.

Tubby was great when he started at UK. He regressed terribly at the end. Just got lazy as hell. From 1998-2005 you could argue very easily he was a top five coach.

Tubby was great when he started at UK. He regressed terribly at the end. Just got lazy as hell. From 1998-2005 you could argue very easily he was a top five coach.

argue this...

Top500s.jpg

Top590s.jpg

Top580s.jpg

Some KY fans are complete idiots and don't know sh...about what they talking about. Tubby was a good Coach..best x and o coach we ever had.. Just didn't get the recruits we needed to get over the hump.... It's somethings that happened behind the scenes that a lot of KY fans don't know. Tubby didn't follow the program that some alumni wanted him to follow.. Integrity... But Billy G.. Succumbed too... And led to his down fall.... it's just Crazy how some fans... Well fair weather fans support our coaches and player when they active in our program. But soon Jump ship when they not.. The same fans who get upset cause some journalist don't pick KY number 1 or too when it all. Or when a recruit decides to go elsewhere..... I see why the nation hates our fans.. Support your team 100 percent... Stop being fair weather fans...

"best X & O's coach we've ever had..."

one question....are you insane?

A simple google/bing search shows that Patterson and possibly Lucas were going to commit to UK at the McD game, and then Tubby left.

Tubby did ok at recruiting, but he could have done better. His big signees were:
Prince, Bogans, Stone, Parker, Camara, Carruth, Hayes, Rondo, Morris, Crawford, Meeks, Jasper.
He may have done better with the mid-level recruits:
Estill, Daniels, Hawkins, Fitch, Azubuike, Bradley

Coaching was clearly his strength (over recruiting).

argue this...

Top500s.jpg

Top590s.jpg

Top580s.jpg

In 1998 he won the national title.
In 1999 he made the Elite Eight.
In 2001 and 2002 he made the Sweet 16.
In 2003 he won 26 consecutive games, finished undefeated in the SEC, won the SEC tourney and made the Elite 8
In 2004 he had the number one seed in the NCAA tourn.
In 2005 he made the Elite Eight

Coach K. Calhoun. Name me three more coaches who were better than Tubby (with numbers to back your case) in that time frame.

Tubby's last two seasons were awful. Hard to watch. But his first eight seasons he held his own. His tournament record was 21-7. There was no argument to be made that he was the best, but you could very easily argue he was top five.

LMAO. He didn't follow the program some of the alumni wanted him to follow? Umm....like a final four in, oh, say 10 years with ZERO coming in the next few, MINIMUM. yea, you're right there.

What a damn idiot. Next we get to hear it's because he's black. That should get a vote somewhere.

Reactions: EliteBlue
In 2003 he won 26 consecutive games, finished undefeated in the SEC, won the SEC tourney and made the Elite 8

Coach K. Calhoun. Name me three more coaches who were better than Tubby (with numbers to back your case) in that time frame.

Tubby's last two seasons were awful. Hard to watch. But his first eight seasons he held his own. His tournament record was 21-7. There was no argument to be made that he was the best, but you could very easily argue he was top five.

Tubbys first five were great and why he belongs in the rafters imo. (Thanks to cal)

His last 4 were bad, and the worst part was the outlook of Florida at the time, and we barely looked like a tourney team. The one think tubby supporters want everyone to forget is how bad our program outlook was for the NEXT 5 years. And that's why he left. We were headed for NITs. It was bad.

A top 5 coach that had us ranked in the top 5 less times than Wake Forest?

Loose the Tubby goggles...all the data suggests otherwise.

Still laughing at you bragging about elite eights BTW

...and Sweet 16's...

Always felt like Tubby was like Adam Dunn used to be when it came to message board discussions.

People either vastly overhyped him or cartoonishly degraded him. There was little room for a reasoned, in-between analysis.

I agree with .S&C.'s point above. The problem with Tubby wasn't the actual era or his coaching job. I think most could live with that even without the Final Fours. It came to be about the future, and when you looked into the future with Tubby it was clear we were headed toward a disaster.

Billy Gillispie took the brunt of that. (Though Gillispie would've failed with any roster he was given.)

Reactions: .S&C.

Who's bragging? You have a problem reading into people's posts always looking for an argument. Our views of Tubby are probably very similar. By the end I wanted him gone in the worst way. Those last two teams were like Cal's 2013 team...damn near impossible to watch.

The facts are that Tubby's record from 1998 to 2005 compares favorably with any coach in the country during that period not named Krzyzewski, Calhoun or Izzo. He was 21-7 in the tournament. Not elite, but pretty damn good. He beat North Carolina four straight times including twice at UNC. He beat Crum by 30 and Mike Davis by 40, and he beat them in close games, too. He had a winning record against Louisville, too.

I'd compare him to someone like Gene Stallings at Alabama. Won a national title. Had his team in the top 10 (Elite Eight) a handful of times. Never won enough to appease the fan base, never lost enough to lose his job until the end.

Tubby's biggest problem is he was too lazy to wade into the Elite talent pool of the AAU circuit. Half of his best recruits were guys who backed out of commitments elsewhere. He wasn't a salesman. At all.

Tubby's biggest problem is he was too lazy to wade into the Elite talent pool of the AAU circuit.

Don't think he was too lazy. I think he just didn't want the headache and wasn't good whatsoever at managing egos.

In that way he and Cal are polar opposites. I actually think in their styles and methods on the court, they're more similar than a lot of people think.

Reactions: .S&C.
Compare Tubby to Joe B. Hall, who most people on here love. I like Joe B myself.

Tubby was 10-0 in first round NCAA games. Joe B. didn't make the tournament in 1974, 1976 or 1979. He lost in the first round in 1981 and 1982.

ADVERTISEMENT