ADVERTISEMENT

Tonight Was More Proof

It's super cool- you can literally go to a team's page and say "show me every side ball screen where the ball handler drives it left and they missed the shot", and it'll pull up every clip of that team all season where that happened.

Or go to a player's page and "show me every Antonio Reeves floater driving right"

etc. etc., and it just pulls the film for you in an instant and gives you all the analytics and rates it. It's wild.

Yeah I don't get much done lol

Do you think it would be worth it to pay for the 30 dollar service that doesnt give video? https://shop.synergysports.com/products/deep-dives-ncaa-men-women-monthly-subscription

And that’s sad, but Kentucky did their job tonight they got a win when they needed it.
I agree that we got a much-needed win, but the win should be seen for what it is. Many of the same problems that have plagued this team were on full display tonight. However, we were playing an opponent who were coached by someone who obviously didn't review Kentucky's recent losses. Our opponent wasn't smart enough to exploit our inability to guard the pick and roll.

Last edited:
Reactions: bnewt and Fox2monk
I agree that we got a much-needed win, but the win should be seen for what it is. Many of the same problems that have plagued this team were on full display tonight. However, we were playing an opponent who were coached by someone who obviously didn't review Kentucky's recent losses. Our opponent wasn't smart enough to exploit our inability to guard the pick and role.
I didn’t get ole miss gameplan either, but Kentucky was better on defense in some aspects tonight. Now Saturday I don’t know if there is any scenario where they win, but let’s go into it and see what happens

Reactions: crawfords corner
You represent those who can't see beyond the score of a game. If we win everything is perfect and we are on our way to an NCAA championship. Lol
Not at all. You represent those that nothing could ever make you happy. Why bother if you hate it so much?

Our defense against Vandy wasn't there. They just missed everything. Our defense was actually a little better tonight.
Thot so too. Noticed Reed was not cheating as far back into the paint for one thing that was different. Did turn his head one time and gave up a layup.

According to Synergy Sports, which live logs D-1 and NBA games and is the main source that ESPN and CBS uses, Ole Miss shot 22 threes tonight and 6 were uncontested (27%).

Tennessee shot 30 threes and 14 were uncontested (47%).

So the numbers do not support your thoughts.

Mind boggling for sure, huh?
thats kinda out of context. For starters ole miss shoot the 3 extremely well. Tennessee as a team doesnt. In fact the reason that makes me so mad about tennessee game, is when Calipari starts playing tennessee will eventually miss shots just based on avg. So yeah for a tenn team who shoots it not so well, I would anticipate they would have more open looks. They shot the lights out vs Kentucky. That probably doesnt happen again.. ooh wait Cal is our coach....

thats kinda out of context. For starters ole miss shoot the 3 extremely well. Tennessee as a team doesnt. In fact the reason that makes me so mad about tennessee game, is when Calipari starts playing tennessee will eventually miss shots just based on avg. So yeah for a tenn team who shoots it not so well, I would anticipate they would have more open looks. They shot the lights out vs Kentucky. That probably doesnt happen again.. ooh wait Cal is our coach....
Are you @Fox2monk's alter ego? Haha

Tennessee shot the piss out of the ball because we left them wide open- we didn't do that tonight.

The poster above imagining that we didn't do a better job tonight on that just isn't factually accurate.

Let's see- tonight was a small step in the right direction IMO!

That Cal cost us the Gonzaga game by refusing to play Ugo in the 2nd half when they kept going to that scrawny white kid on the block and he was giving Bradshaw the business.

Ugo 10 blocks tonight- ties a Rupp Arena record with David Robinson.

Ugo is also our best big man in Pick-N-Roll coverage as well- by FAR. And that includes Mitchell and Thiero.

Play that kid 28 minutes/night.
Yep! Kept asking my wife why in the world AB was even in the game!!!! Ugo was by far our best option. Some of us said all offseason that Ugo would be big for this team and would be our best interior defender. Welp, here we are. Dude is a natural born shot blocker.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Yep! Kept asking my wife why in the world AB was even in the game!!!! Ugo was by far our best option. Some of us said all offseason that Ugo would be big for this team and would be our best interior defender. Welp, here we are. Dude is a natural born shot blocker.
At least Bradshaw didn’t get abused last night. I still think big Z is the Better option for a breather but yeah we all know how that’s gonna go.

According to Synergy Sports, which live logs D-1 and NBA games and is the main source that ESPN and CBS uses, Ole Miss shot 22 threes tonight and 6 were uncontested (27%).

Tennessee shot 30 threes and 14 were uncontested (47%).

So the numbers do not support your thoughts.

Mind boggling for sure, huh?
You can say this or that but I have a stat for ya, common sense and watching the game. Apparently one or the other eludes you.

• Haha
Reactions: Tampa_cat54
So when teams shoot good and put up points on us it's because our defense sucks, but when they don't score much it's not because of our defense but because their offense sucks. Makes sense......
Depends on the open looks. Ole Miss had a ton of absolutely wide open looks, I mean a bunch. Not sure what game you watched? If you’re saying our defense was sooo much better last night, I’m not sure what to say, it really wasn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Tampa_cat54
Are you @Fox2monk's alter ego? Haha

Tennessee shot the piss out of the ball because we left them wide open- we didn't do that tonight.

The poster above imagining that we didn't do a better job tonight on that just isn't factually accurate.

Let's see- tonight was a small step in the right direction IMO!
I agree.
and for the record, i just wish we had a fox and monk type player coming in every year.

Not at all. You represent those that nothing could ever make you happy. Why bother if you hate it so much?
It is my choice how I spend my time. However, my unsolicited advice to you is spend more time learning the game so that you are not so easily duped by a swindler like our nameless coach. Kentucky used to be known for one of the most basketball knowledgeable fanbases in the country. The influx of fans like you are destroying this recognition. We lose 3 consecutive games at home for the first time since most can remember, and you think the victory last night is a sign that the ship is back on course. Lol

That Cal cost us the Gonzaga game by refusing to play Ugo in the 2nd half when they kept going to that scrawny white kid on the block and he was giving Bradshaw the business.

Ugo 10 blocks tonight- ties a Rupp Arena record with David Robinson.

Ugo is also our best big man in Pick-N-Roll coverage as well- by FAR. And that includes Mitchell and Thiero.

Play that kid 28 minutes/night.
UGO kind of got abused on the pick and roll as well. None of our big men can play one on one defense. Gonzaga spread the court so open. Our big guys were alone in the lane with no help. Even UGO can stop that.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I didn’t get ole miss gameplan either, but Kentucky was better on defense in some aspects tonight. Now Saturday I don’t know if there is any scenario where they win, but let’s go into it and see what happens.
The faux defense you saw last night was more about our opponent and less about Kentucky.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
It is my choice how I spend my time. However, my unsolicited advice to you is spend more time learning the game so that you are not so easily duped by a swindler like our nameless coach. Kentucky used to be known for one of the most basketball knowledgeable fanbases in the country. The influx of fans like you are destroying this recognition. We lose 3 consecutive games at home for the first time since most can remember, and you think the victory last night is a sign that the ship is back on course. Lol
college basketball is a shell of its past self that you can’t even recognize anymore hoss. Nil, transfer portal and 6th year COVID guys. Let’s not forget the legalization of gambling from your couch which if you don’t believe will increase corruption I can’t help ya. You expect the same as the 90s. Kansas will probably end up 3rd in the Big 12 behind Houston and Iowa St. despite buying every one year mercenary they could find. All the Blue Bloods are struggling to figure this new shit show out. Look at last year’s final Four. That ish would never happen in the 80s or 90s. I want Cal gone too but you gotta stop comparing the past to the present. It ain’t even close to the same.

Last edited:
UGO kind of got abused on the pick and roll as well. None of our big men can play one on one defense. Gonzaga spread the court so open. Our big guys were alone in the lane with no help. Even UGO can stop that.
I am glad some of us understand what is going on. Kentucky benefited tremendously last night from an opposing coach who is worse than Cal. He hardly used the pick and roll which has been Kentucky's soft spot all season.

Reactions: bnewt
The faux defense you saw last night was more about our opponent and less about Kentucky.
It most likely was, but improved effort and a little better positioning can help. They did that for periods tonight, so they can get a little bit better defensively. Now the question is, will the effort be consistent and can the positioning be good for periods of the game?

"The influx" of fans like me? I've been a Kentucky basketball fan since the 1940s. I don't get the hyperbole that anyone saying anything positive after a win means they think we are going to win the National Championship or are "Cal worshippers." Some people just chose to look at the positive in situations rather than to wallow in misery at all times. We are obviously on opposite sides of that coin.

college basketball is a shell of its past self that you can’t even recognize anymore hoss. Nil, transfer portal and 6th year COVID guys. Let’s not forget the legalization of gambling from your couch which if you don’t believe will increase corruption I can’t help ya. You expect the same as the 90s. All the Blue Bloods are struggling to figure this new shit show out. Look at last year’s final Four. That ish would never happen in the 80s or 90s. I want Cal gone too but you gotta stop comparing the past to the present. It ain’t even close to the same.
It has nothing to do with NIL or anything else that you are using as an excuse. Cal has sucked for years so don't act like this is something that just started happening. Season after season, we see former players doing things in the NBA that they didn't come close to achieving at Kentucky. Why? They are actually taught how to play the game instead of the playground basketball that Cal has been pretending to be a paradigm shift. That guy has flat out lost whatever coaching skills he ever possessed. He is only a bunch of tired cliches.

It most likely was, but improved effort and a little better positioning can help. They did that for periods tonight, so they can get a little bit better defensively. Now the question is, will the effort be consistent and can the positioning be good for periods of the game?
With all due respect, some of you act like if you only play bad defense harder it will produce better results. This has nothing to do with how hard one plays; it is all about poor teaching, a lack of understanding, and a misuse of players' skills. If you are given the wrong material to study for an exam, no matter how hard you study that material it isn't going to produce good results. Our nameless coach is setting up his players for failure by trying to force man defense on players who are incapable of playing it.

"The influx" of fans like me? I've been a Kentucky basketball fan since the 1940s. I don't get the hyperbole that anyone saying anything positive after a win means they think we are going to win the National Championship or are "Cal worshippers." Some people just chose to look at the positive in situations rather than to wallow in misery at all times. We are obviously on opposite sides of that coin.
If you work a little harder, you will convince yourself those 3 consecutive home losses didn't occur. Pretending like things either didn't happen or that they are getting better is the recipe for the destruction of a once proud program. It is time for fans to deal with this situation for what it is instead of for what we like for it to be.

With all due respect, some of you act like if you only play bad defense harder it will produce better results. This has nothing to do with how hard one plays; it is all about poor teaching, a lack of understanding, and a misuse of players' skills. If you are given the wrong material to study for an exam, no matter how hard you study that material it isn't going to produce good results. Our nameless coach is setting up his players for failure by trying to force man defense on players who are incapable of playing it.
What defense should this team be playing? They should mix it up I agree, but you can’t play zone the whole game with as bad a rebounding team Kentucky is.

If you work a little harder, you will convince yourself those 3 consecutive home losses didn't occur. Pretending like things either didn't happen or that they are getting better is the recipe for the destruction of a once proud program. It is time for fans to deal with this situation for what it is instead of for what we like for it to be.
So I'm not allowed to be happy when Kentucky wins because of previous losses. I was disappointed when the lost, so do I have to stay disappointed when they win also? As far as "it is time for fans to deal with this situation" I also am permitted to spend my time however I please, so I don't have to deal with anything because you are pissed.

What defense should this team be playing? They should mix it up I agree, but you can’t play zone the whole game with as bad a rebounding team Kentucky is.
If we play small ball, we should be playing man and pressure defense. For a change of pace and to confuse the opponent we should go big with Z and switch to a 3-2 zone defense. It would enable the team to benefit from Z's shooting and passing skills without getting hurt because of his inability to play man defense.

So I'm not allowed to be happy when Kentucky wins because of previous losses. I was disappointed when the lost, so do I have to stay disappointed when they win also? As far as "it is time for fans to deal with this situation" I also am permitted to spend my time however I please, so I don't have to deal with anything because you are pissed.
You are allowed to do whatever the mods allow you to do on this board. If you don't agree with me, stop responding to my posts. If I am not mistaken, you selected my posts to respond to as if I directly addressed you.

You are allowed to do whatever the mods allow you to do on this board. If you don't agree with me, stop responding to my posts. If I am not mistaken, you selected my posts to respond to as if I directly addressed you.
so when you post, no one is supposed to respond with anything other than "I agree"?

Tonight was fool's gold. Our opponent tonight wasn't very smart and failed miserably to exploit our team the way our recent opponents did. We were way to sloppy with the ball tonight and we are lucky that more of those ill-advised cross court passes weren't stol

I agree that we got a much-needed win, but the win should be seen for what it is. Many of the same problems that have plagued this team were on full display tonight. However, we were playing an opponent who were coached by someone who obviously didn't review Kentucky's recent losses. Our opponent wasn't smart enough to exploit our inability to guard the pick and roll.
isn't this the coach many wants to replace Cal with

so when you post, no one is supposed to respond with anything other than "I agree"?
You can post all you want, but how about layoff the whining? Instead of debating with me about my comments, you sound like someone who is trying to get sympathy by playing the victim.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT