ADVERTISEMENT

Why did Cal even bother to recruit Big Z?

Mike-McD

Junior
Aug 3, 2022
Remember "FREE BIG Z?" This saga lasted for months, BBN spent thousands on a billboard. The NCAA got a media black eye over it. This kid played Euro ball and had a smashing debut.

So why does he get in for two minutes yesterday? I watched the game and he didn't play badly. He's clearly getting the Hopkins treatment. You have a 5th year SENIOR named Mitchell (not to mention Bradshaw) who laid an egg last night but Big Z can't even sniff 5 minutes? You're playing guys 40+ minutes due to injuries, and you have Dilly cramping and Thiero in pain, but Z is on the freaking BENCH?

There's absolutely no excuse for this. It's infuriating to see Cal ignoring a talented freshman in favor of others who aren't as good. And don't try this "he's not ready yet" bullcrap. The season is effectively over, we're losing to unranked teams at home now. There's no reason whatsoever not to find him at least 10 minutes to get acclimated to the games. Cal gave Edwards and Bradshaw far more leash and they both have less potential. We were neck and neck with Georgia before Big Z went on his tear, and we could have used him in the last three games.

I feel sorry for the poor devils who donated money to the billboard. You got played for suckers by a multibazillionaire who doesn't give a crap about anything but his dogs.

What's the point of recruiting a one and done that you have no intention of playing?

Exactly!! And that idiot on the post game show threw out that he probably should have played Bradshaw at the 4 more to relieve Mitchell. Never even mentioned Z. Let Bradshaw get 10 more minutes contributing almost nothing. I thought Z played well what little time he was in. Id almost guarantee he wouldnt have went ofer on that many 3 pt shots. 😡😡😡😡

Last edited:
Remember "FREE BIG Z?" This saga lasted for months, BBN spent thousands on a billboard. The NCAA got a media black eye over it. This kid played Euro ball and had a smashing debut.

So why does he get in for two minutes yesterday? I watched the game and he didn't play badly. He's clearly getting the Hopkins treatment. You have a 5th year SENIOR named Mitchell (not to mention Bradshaw) who laid an egg last night but Big Z can't even sniff 5 minutes? You're playing guys 40+ minutes due to injuries, and you have Dilly cramping and Thiero in pain, but Z is on the freaking BENCH?

There's absolutely no excuse for this. It's infuriating to see Cal ignoring a talented freshman in favor of others who aren't as good. And don't try this "he's not ready yet" bullcrap. The season is effectively over, we're losing to unranked teams at home now. There's no reason whatsoever not to find him at least 10 minutes to get acclimated to the games. Cal gave Edwards and Bradshaw far more leash and they both have less potential. We were neck and neck with Georgia before Big Z went on his tear, and we could have used him in the last three games.

I feel sorry for the poor devils who donated money to the billboard. You got played for suckers by a multibazillionaire who doesn't give a crap about anything but his dogs.

What's the point of recruiting a one and done that you have no intention of playing?
Considering the egg that Tre Mitchell layed last night. 5 points on 2-10 shooting in 38 minutes. You would think that Calipari would have gave Big Z a chance to knock down some 3's & block some shots. Coaching like this is the reason we haven't been to a Final Four in the last 9 years.

Yeah I've been hot on this disrespect of this certain player since the Ark game , so its not a 1 game " oh I forgot he was available" type thing by our bird brain , its simple " He lit the world on fire and he wasnt in my plans " so I'm not playing him . We see it every year , Cal screws someone over . I'm done with Cal , I slept like a baby last night . I no longer have expectations , no more passion . but I'll be around to remind folks how terrible he is . Whether you like it or not

What do you mean why?
The kid is 7'3", some team might take a flyer on him in the Draft = another notch on NBA Johnny's belt.

He literally told BBN he doesn't give a damn about winning college titles and accolades, it's all about the pros baby!

The answers to your questions are unavailable at this time. Please visit our website at ukathletics.com/HOF/CoachCal/knowsbest/nowshutup.

Publicity

To be fair, Z did play 6 minutes last night, all in the first half and in one segment without being pulled. It was more than I thought he would play but why zero minutes in the 2nd half? Bradshaw played and again gave us nothing, except a nice dunk off a good assist but not even a single rebound.

Z’s potential is certainly there and IMO just waiting to explode. With Ugo’s emergence and getting better each game should give us 2 big men we can rely upon who bring different elements to the team.

just another lousy coaching clinic again last night
Mitchell was off, Bradshaw is what he is, soft and over rated
Shep & Dillingham played too many minutes
Z in for 2 minutes or so, gets a rebound & a free throw

During crunch time, the inbounds pass should always go to Shep, especially when the opponent has to foul. So what does the genius ccc do......he has Shep inbounds to DIllingham. After Dillingham hit the 1st free throw, he should have called time out & told them what to do, hit or miss. He should have said let them drive or foul. DO NOT give up a 3 pointer. Should have been common sense since UK can play no defense. But he does nothing. Didn't he learn anything about the NCAA tile loss @ Memphis, when the let Kansas hit a 3 pointer to send the game into over time. Is he THAT STUPID? Well, the results, tell you that he is. UK basketball is turning into UK football, just finding ways to loose

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Cal thinks he isn't earning it in practice, so he can't reward him with game time. Really the only reason I can think of him at least not getting a few more min than he has.
Nope, that doesn't justify him playing Edwards all the time. And Cal said in the Arky postgame that he started Ugo because of how he played the first half. Cal is ALL OVER THE PLACE with his justifications for playing guys. He has ZERO consistency.

Nope, that doesn't justify him playing Edwards all the time. And Cal said in the Arky postgame that he started Ugo because of how he played the first half. Cal is ALL OVER THE PLACE with his justifications for playing guys. He has ZERO consistency.
I know. It was a reach. But who knows what Cal really thinks. Can't take any of his words seriously anymore. Car salesman.

ZERO consistency, because he has no clue
He is a terrible bench coach.
I'll bet that most of the fans that have played the game, would have gotten the ball to Shep to shoot the free throws instead of Dillingham. I'll bet most would have called time out after Dillingham hit the 1st free throw to stress the importance of defense on the final trip. The 9 million $ phony did neither.

so, as an outside observer, who does want Kentucky to keep winning for obvious reasons, maybe there’s a reason. This is just an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt based on what I have seen. Maybe, just maybe, the legend of big z was created in hopes a 7’2” guy was all that.

The free big z stuff was based on hope and not actual reality. Sure is nice to have a big guy that can pop a three every now and then. But most teams have athletic guys that can follow him to the three-point line. Also, he is very thin and very weak and gets muscled down low. So he has a lot of developing to do. Maybe the pressure for him to be great is a little much right now. Before we played you guys, I said that our big man would muscle him around. They did. He had a nice game vs uga as the team was hot and rolling……so anticipation grew.

Right now Kentucky has three 7 footers and they are all thin and get bullied down low. None of them are going to beat someone else from the three-point line. Big deal if they nail one or two every now and then. 7 foot two people need to be down low. And right now that is your biggest problem. They are athletic, but they need to develop strength. Just my two. Cents.

So he could suck the life out of him and let him know basketball is not to be enjoyed. That it is a job and work is not supposed to be fun.

so, as an outside observer, who does want Kentucky to keep winning for obvious reasons, maybe there’s a reason. This is just an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt based on what I have seen. Maybe, just maybe, the legend of big z was created in hopes a 7’2” guy was all that.

The free big z stuff was based on hope and not actual reality. Sure is nice to have a big guy that can pop a three every now and then. But most teams have athletic guys that can follow him to the three-point line. Also, he is very thin and very weak and gets muscled down low. So he has a lot of developing to do. Maybe the pressure for him to be great is a little much right now. Before we played you guys, I said that our big man would muscle him around. They did. He had a nice game vs uga as the team was hot and rolling……so anticipation grew.

Right now Kentucky has three 7 footers and they are all thin and get bullied down low. None of them are going to beat someone else from the three-point line. Big deal if they nail one or two every now and then. 7 foot two people need to be down low. And right now that is your biggest problem. They are athletic, but they need to develop strength. Just my two. Cents.
You obviously did not see Z's coming out party in Rupp.

Cal hasn't used him since.

Yeah I've been hot on this disrespect of this certain player since the Ark game , so its not a 1 game " oh I forgot he was available" type thing by our bird brain , its simple " He lit the world on fire and he wasnt in my plans " so I'm not playing him . We see it every year , Cal screws someone over . I'm done with Cal , I slept like a baby last night . I no longer have expectations , no more passion . but I'll be around to remind folks how terrible he is . Whether you like it or not
I went to sleep at halftime. Knew this was a loss.

Reactions: NociHTTP

You actually bring up a good point....

1. Maybe the belief in Ugo was not that high he'd be healthy and ready to help this season. But Ugo brings a defensive presence that we all know Mitchell never was going to bring. I think Cal (and many fans) are sort of taken back by how non athletic/defensive stopper Bradshaw truly appears to be.
2. But your point on Hopkins treatment is so true. Cal isn't likely to push Mitchell below 30 minutes a game. Now Ugo is showing he brings a defensive presence that this team sorely needs....he's going to have to play him 20-25 minutes a game. And then there is Bradshaw which brings in Cal's 5* boner baloney to play. So how do you fit Big Z in barring he can be like Dirk Nowitzki-ish. (which I'd argue he's not that level).

So where do the minutes come from for BIg Z? The issue with Cal if Big Z is a for sure 1 year player and out the door...what was the point? Cal does not put a roster together....just more like get me the best all star team and figure it out kind of mentality.....and why glue guys like Thiero won't stick around UK IMO.

I mentioned it my post. I’m not saying he won’t be good, but it’s like a 2nd string qb everyone wants to see, who gets in when the team is rolling and beating the snot out of another team and looks good. Then everyone thinks that qb is the next great thing. This right up until he is the starter and has to do it all game. Then the qb isn’t quite so good anymore.

I mentioned it my post. I’m not saying he won’t be good, but it’s like a 2nd string qb everyone wants to see, who gets in when the team is rolling and beating the snot out of another team and looks good. Then everyone thinks that qb is the next great thing. This right up until he is the starter and has to do it all game. Then the qb isn’t quite so good anymore.
We weren't "rolling." The game was tight and Z broke it open. And I'm not arguing Z should be a starter. Horrible analogy.

Can you please just stick to the facts? Jeez.

I felt so sorry for the kid when he was sitting out, and like Bilas said it was unforgiving what the NCAA was doing to him. Well now, its even worse what that clown is doing to him. I feel even more sorry for him. He showed more in 5 minutes than Bradshaw has all season long. Also Ugo got the same treatment from him last year. You could see the potential in him and instead of developing him last year, he parked him at the end of the bench and "forgot" about him!! I'm soooo sick of this kinda crap!!

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm going with fluke against Ga.
He was used at USC and got dunked on twice.
He gave up the baseline for an easy layup at Ark.
Playing Ugo and Z at the same time is not a recipe for success.
He did what he did against Ga and you can't take that away from him but every coach in the SEC has that tape and I haven't seen evidence he can beat the scouting report.
The last 3 games have shown he's an easy guard for the opponent.

I felt so sorry for the kid when he was sitting out, and like Bilas said it was unforgiving what the NCAA was doing to him. Well now, its even worse what that clown is doing to him. I feel even more sorry for him. He showed more in 5 minutes than Bradshaw has all season long. Also Ugo got the same treatment from him last year. You could see the potential in him and instead of developing him last year, he parked him at the end of the bench and "forgot" about him!! I'm soooo sick of this kinda crap!!
It’s all about keeping that recruit pipeline going. Can’t bench Bradshaw over Z. How will that look to recruits. Meanwhile duke just keeps stacking recruits. Duke talks about winning games and being part of a family, set for life after the NBA or if you don’t make it. Duke has a place for you. Cal talks about getting that dough fast, who really cares about winning, 2nd contract, set for life.

He was used at USC and got dunked on twice.
He gave up the baseline for an easy layup at Ark.
Playing Ugo and Z at the same time is not a recipe for success.
He did what he did against Ga and you can't take that away from him but every coach in the SEC has that tape and I haven't seen evidence he can beat the scouting report.
The last 3 games have shown he's an easy guard for the opponent.
Cherry picking agenda driven post. Did you bother to list any of Z's other stats from those games, like blocked shots and rebounds?

Nope.

Never said he should be on the floor with Ugo. Straw man.

Your opinion is trash.

This would be a fair analogy …except that Big Z has never been given that chance to show what he could do all game. Because Cal promptly stopped playing him for any more than one or two minutes after his steller debut.

If he ever gets a legit starting shot and fails, then your QB analogy will be apt. But until then, we just don’t know.

Not saying the kid isn't a good player, but if it wasn't a fluke against Georgia he'd be the best player in the country. Just purely playing the percentages he's not that. He has been getting a little time since then, I sometimes guys need a bit of playing time to get in a rhythm, but he's literally dont nothing since that Georgia game.

Since then he's gotten 18 minutes and has 4 points, 6 rebounds, and 0 rebounds. If those were Edwards' stats people would be saying how awful he was and how he shouldn't see the court.

Cherry picking agenda driven post. Did you bother to list any of Z's other stats from those games, like blocked shots and rebounds?

Nope.

Never said he should be on the floor with Ugo. Straw man.

Your opinion is trash.
You're totally disregarding that Mike White didn't have him on the scouting report.
He had early success and fed off the crowd.
A legit player can duplicate success.
There is no agenda.
He will get in every game. It's up to him to produce.

This would be a fair analogy …except that Big Z has never been given that chance to show what he could do all game. Because Cal promptly stopped playing him for any more than one or two minutes after his steller debut.

If he ever gets a legit starting shot and fails, then your QB analogy will be apt. But until then, we just don’t know.
Ugo has earned the right to be the starter.
Just my opinion but I think Ugo duplicates his game from last night before Z duplicates his Ga game.

I read where Bradshaw said Big Z was a "7-foot puppy" ... so maybe he's a great kid and teammate, with some perimeter skills, but may lack the toughness necessary to play in this country at this point in his career. I don't really know, but he does not appear willing or able to bang down low and do the dirty work we need him to do.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I read where Bradshaw said Big Z was a "7-foot puppy" ... so maybe he's a great kid and teammate, with some perimeter skills, but may lack the toughness necessary to play in this country at this point in his career. I don't really know, but he does not appear willing or able to bang down low and do the dirty work we need him to do.
Definitely don't see the mean streak a lot of Eastern European kids have.

Reactions: MidseasonTweak

I will admit no offense to Bradshaw, he should have played more of Bradshaw's minutes because the poor guy is not a 5 at all, barely a stretch 4.

Reactions: Fox2monk
totally agree with the op

but watching Z, maybe the worst thing that could have happened to him was blow up in his outing and not be able to recreate that.
I also have noticed that he wants to react to a foul or missed shot instead of getting back on defense - and his shot selection post Georgia has been ...well ....I would call it borderline selfish.

He is still a bit of a project

to work so hard to get him to play and then have him get 6 minutes is wrong, however I"m not sure Cal trusts him to bring more into the game than he leaves

and in last night's game, that was a problem with several players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT